Casper Wave Hybrid Mattress Review
By clicking on the product links in this article, Mattress Advisor may receive a commission fee at no cost to you, the reader. Read full disclosure statement.
Final Impression: The Casper Wave Hybrid mattress is a luxury mattress that combines the pressure relief of an all-foam mattress with the springy support of an innerspring bed. It excelled across the board during our testing, making it an excellent choice for most sleepers, including couples, hot sleepers, and back pain.
Who Is the Casper Wave Hybrid Mattress Best for?
|Casper Wave Hybrid is best for:||Casper Wave Hybrid may not be best for:|
If you like the original Casper mattress, the Casper Wave Hybrid takes comfort to the next level. Mixing the comfort of memory foam and the support and durability of a pocket-coil system, the Casper Wave Hybrid is a top-tier Casper mattress.
We tested the Casper Wave Hybrid mattress at our in-house mattress lab to see how it held up in-person. Read on for our in-depth review to see why we love it and why we think you will, too.
What makes it stand out:
- The Casper Wave Hybrid mattress is the end result of five years of collecting customer feedback on what sleepers want in a mattress. The final product, the Wave Hybrid, combines the contouring of memory foam, buoyancy of latex foam, and responsiveness of pocketed coils—the trifecta of restful sleep.
- The Wave Hybrid takes ergonomic support to the next level. Two foam layers containing variable support zones and individually encased coils combine to keep the body aligned while easing pain at pressure points. With this technology, it may not come as a surprise that the Wave scored incredibly well at our in-house lab for pressure relief and spine alignment. It even earned a spot as one of the best mattresses of 2021.
- Our sleep testers found the Wave Hybrid to offer outstanding responsiveness, motion isolation, cooling, and edge support. These attributes combine for a nearly perfect mattress for couples.
- Casper offers free shipping and free returns in concert with their 100-night sleep trial, so there’s zero risk to trying the Wave in the comfort of your bedroom.
We personally test every mattress we bring into the Mattress Advisor Lab using the same 6-point testing procedure and 8-point evaluation. Check out the chart below to see how the Casper Wave Hybrid mattress scored on our different tests and evaluations.
|Mattress Advisor Test||Score (Out of 10)|
⭐Total Score for the Casper Wave Hybrid Mattress: 9.3/10⭐
Mattress Pros and Cons
- Responsiveness: This responsive feel is thanks to bouncy innerspring coils and a responsive latex layer that readily adapt to movement. Combination sleepers and those who toss and turn do best sleeping on a responsive mattress.
- Spine Alignment: Keeping your spine in a straight line is critical for a good night’s sleep and fewer aches and pains come morning. Our sleep testers experienced almost perfect spine alignment, which can help relieve back pain.
- Motion transfer: We tested the Casper Hybrid’s ability to dampen motion using two tests. In the first test, we set a glass of silky red wine on the opposite side of the bed while our tester rolled around. The wine barely jiggled! We then had our sleep testers lay side-by-side and switch positions—our testers felt very little movement. For this reason, we love the Wave Hybrid for couples and those who co-sleep with pets of kids.
- Casper is committed to customer satisfaction. With free shipping and free returns during the 100-night sleep trial, you don’t have to keep your new mattress unless you love it.
- The Casper Wave is a luxury hybrid mattress, and as such, it may be out of the price range for budget-conscious shoppers.
- We experienced an off-gassing odor when we first unboxed the Wave. Fortunately, it dissipated in just a few hours.
- The Wave is a medium firmness, which is best only for those who enjoy a plush feel. Those who prefer a medium-firm to firm mattress will find the Wave too soft.
Do you sleep with a partner, or even a pet? If so, your mattress’s ability to control motion transfer is key to your sleep. A mattress that’s not-so-great at controlling motion will lead you to wake up every time your sleeping partner tosses, turns, or gets up for a late-night bathroom run. But with the Casper Wave Hybrid, you’ll be able to sleep soundly all night long. One of the ways we test this is with our wine test. Take a look at the video below to see how still the wine stays when Amanda moves around on the bed.
Stellar Spine Alignment
Keeping your spine in a straight line is critical to a good night’s sleep. With the combination of comforting foam and supportive coils, the Casper Wave Hybrid mattress does an excellent job of keeping your spine right in line. Just take a look below at how Matt’s body was supported during testing.
Casper isn’t kidding when they say this is their most advanced model ever. The Wave Hybrid offers hyper-targeted support and top-of-the-line responsiveness to your body’s motions. We have our testers turn to different sleeping positions to see how quickly the mattress can respond to your movements so you can get comfortable, and with the Wave Hybrid they were truly impressed!
This is due to the careful craftsmanship in the construction of this Casper mattress. The combination of latex and memory foam, targeted gel pods, and resilient springs makes for a bed that’s ready to respond to your movements all night to keep you sleeping comfortably.
The Casper Wave mattress rates a 5 on the 1-10 firmness scale, making it a medium firmness mattress. The top comfort layers gently hug the body’s curves, while the latex foam and supportive pocketed coils counter excess sinkage. The feel is one that falls between sleeping “on” and “in” a mattress.
Does It Match Different Types of Sleepers?
The Wave Hybrid is a wonderful mattress choice for side sleepers. While the pressure relieving abilities of a mattress is important for all sleepers, they are particularly important for side sleepers. That’s because the bulk of our weight falls on the hips and shoulders when we are laying on our side. The Wave Hybrid performed exceptionally well in our pressure relief test, closely conforming to the hips and shoulders, melting pressure away.
When shopping for a mattress, back sleepers need something that offers support and contour in equal measure, to keep the spine in a neutral position. The support is what holds up your spine and neck, while the contour is what allows your bum and other curvy parts to rest peacefully. Our sleep testers of every body size felt the Wave Hybrid delivered idyllic support and cushion when lying on their backs, making this a top mattress for back sleepers.
Stomach sleepers are the rarest type of sleeper. Stomach sleeper mattresses have a soft, responsive surface to keep pressure off the pelvis, chest, and shoulders and are simultaneously firm and supportive enough to keep their back in alignment rather than arched. The Wave Hybrid has a phenomenally responsive surface that allows the curvatures of the body to be cradled the way stomach sleepers need, but it also contains high resiliency foam and pocket springs that keep the spine elevated rather than sinking.
Combination sleepers tend to move around a lot at night. For a good night’s rest that isn’t disrupted when changing positions, combination sleepers need a bed that’s responsive. Our testers switched positions with ease, making the Wave a good mattress for combination sleepers.
How Well Does It Regulate Temperature?
Our sleep testers found the Casper Wave Hybrid cool-to-the-touch. And with breathable innerspring coils, layers of perforated foam, and naturally-cool latex, the Wave will help hot sleepers stay cool all night long.
Does It Support Heavier People?
Thanks to generous comfort layers and innerspring coils that limit sinkage, the Casper Wave Hybrid works well for all body sizes. Lightweight sleepers will find the cushion they need for relief at areas like the hips and shoulders, while heavier people are readily supported by the layer of sturdy innerspring coils. However, because this mattress is softer than the average bed, it may feel too soft for heavy sleepers who prefer a medium-firm or firm bed.
Best Foundations for the Wave Hybrid
The Wave Hybrid mattress will work with all standard foundations. As with most mattresses, make sure you have as much direct support under the mattress as possible. A wooden slatted foundation, platform bed, or adjustable base offer the best support for the Casper, but you can use a box spring that’s in good condition paired with a traditional bed frame.
Layers and Construction
The Wave Hybrid is the result of five years of data collection from customers. The final product is a hybrid mattress made of five premium layers—5 foam and a pocket-coil core—wrapped in a moisture-wicking wool cover that prevents humidity from getting trapped in the layers.
- Mattress Cover: A blend of wool, rayon, and polyester promotes breathability and keeps the sleeping surface cool.
- 1.0” Comfort Foam: The top layer of the Casper Wave Hybrid is a plush polyfoam designed to offer pressure relief that makes you look forward to climbing into bed each night.
- 1.5” Breathable Latex Foam: The second layer is made of latex foam which has a more buoyant feel than traditional memory foam. Latex is a naturally breathable material so this layer helps transfer heat away from the body to regulate body temperature.
- 1.5” Pressure Relieving Memory Foam: The third layer is made from memory foam that’s designed to aid in pressure relief by cradling your joints, particularly the hips and shoulders.
- 1.5” High Resiliency Foam: This transition layer is a highly durable and resilient foam made with gel pods for targeted support.
- 6.0” Foundation of Durable, Pocket-Coil Spring System: The final layer of the Wave Hybrid mattress is a pocket-coil support system designed to support, respond, and isolate motion for its sleepers.
- 1.0” Support Foam: Highly resilient polyfoam adds extra durability to the Wave Hybrid.
Casper Wave Hybrid Mattress Sizes, Dimensions, and Pricing
|Twin||38” x 75” x 13”||70 lbs.||$1,495|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 13”||76 lbs.||$1,695|
|Full||53” x 75” x 13”||100 lbs.||$2,395|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 13”||111 lbs.||$2,595|
|King||76” x 80” x 13”||145 lbs.||$2,995|
|California King||72” x 84” x 13”||143 lbs.||$2,995|
*Prices do not reflect exclusive offers or discounts. Click below to see the best price for the Casper Wave Hybrid mattress.
What’s Setup Like?
Our sleep testers were able to quickly and easily unbox and set up the Wave mattress, as a team of two. Because it’s heavy (111 lbs for the queen-size), we recommend finding a friend to help!
It had a slight odor that went away within hours, and it puffed up to life in a similar period of time. You’ll likely be able to sleep on the Wave Hybrid the same day that it arrives.
Most of our readers are considering buying an online mattress for the first time. Let’s take a look at what you can expect when you buy a mattress from Casper.
|Delivery||Free delivery in 2-7 business days. Additional fee for Hawaii or Alaska.|
|Warranty||10-year limited warranty|
|Return Policy||Free returns & full refunds|
|Financing||Available through Affirm|
What You Need to Know About Shipping and Delivery
Every Casper mattress is shipped within the contiguous United States for free (additional fees apply for customers in Hawaii or Alaska). You can expect your new mattress compressed in a box at your doorstep in 2 to 7 business days.
For customers who would rather someone else do the heavy lifting, Casper does offer White Glove Delivery for an additional fee. With White Glove Delivery, a Casper representative carries your bed to its final location, sets it up, and removes your old mattress. This service is currently suspended due to COVID-19 concerns.
Breaking Down the Sleep Trial
Casper was one of the first bed-in-a-box mattress brands that sold their beds directly to you, the consumer. To help put their customers’ minds at ease, Casper and the other leading brands started to offer long trial periods with free returns to remove any financial risk with buying a mattress online.
The Casper sleep trial is fairly standard, giving you 100 nights to give your mattress a try before deciding if it’s the one for you. To return your new bed, you must contact Casper to initiate the return within 100 days from the day that your mattress arrives on your doorstep.
Once your return has been approved, Casper will find a local charity to pick up your mattress and deliver it to a person in need. Expect a full refund on the original form of payment in 1-3 business days from the date the charity picks up the mattress.
The Warranty in Plain Language
Casper mattresses come with a standard 10-year limited warranty. The Casper warranty covers defects in materials and workmanship, including the mattress cover zipper and indentations of greater than 1”. To learn more about the warranty, visit Casper’s warranty page.
All Customer Service Contact Info
Casper representatives are ready to help you every day of the week. Simply:
- Call them at 1-888-498-0003
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Use the live chat feature at casper.com
How does Casper customer service compare to the rest? Casper has a reputation for their commitment to customer satisfaction. From prompt, knowledgeable customer service representatives to one of the most straightforward sleep trials around, chances are you’ll have a smooth experience with Casper. We know we have!
From scouring online customer reviews, we’ve found that Casper customers agree with us. Here’s what they have to say.
- “Buying a bed has always been something I dreaded because if it didn’t help you get a good night sleep, you were just stuck with it. Casper gave me a new experience. Ordering online was so easy. I called customer service just before I made the purchase and she was great. Delivery was right on time and set up was simple.” -Miranda
- “Easy to set up and very good customer support.” -Anonymous
- “First thing, customer support is second to none! My first mattress was lost by UPS. I contacted customer service and had another one on the way in days!” -Daniel
Learn About the Return Policy
For most mattress shoppers, the idea of returning a mattress is daunting. Can you really return a bed that you’ve slept in? What happens to it? And do you need the box that it originally came in?
Fortunately, Casper doesn’t make you jump through hoops to return your mattress. To return a Casper mattress, all you need to do is contact customer service within the first 100 nights and complete the paperwork that they send your way. It’s incredibly simple!
And don’t feel badly if you find out the Casper Wave isn’t the mattress for you. Casper works on the backend to find a local charity that will pick the mattress up from your doorstep—and you don’t need to try and stuff it back in its original box. You’ll receive a full refund within 1-3 business days from when the charity picks up the bed.
Now you know how the Casper Wave Hybrid performed in our lab, but what about in your home? Take a look at what actual customers have said about their experience with the Casper Wave Hybrid.
- From a Customer with Back Pain: “Last year I had two total hip replacements and with the mattress before the Wave, I would step out of bed and have lower back pain until my back woke up by walking around. WITH THE WAVE, I step out of bed and have NO lower back pain. My husband says he is definitely sleeping better. I would recommend the Wave to everyone.” – Mia
- From an Ex-Casper Original Sleeper: “As a full-time farm manager and worker I need good sleep. I started on a regular Casper and was enticed to upgrade to Wave due to growing shoulder and lower back strain. Since sleeping on Wave all of that pain has slowly melted away. I literally get excited every day to crash on it. Every time you fall, it feels as new and fresh as when I first unpacked it. The name is accurate. I feel an incredibly delicate wave supporting my soft stretch of body between my shoulder and hips. It cradles and relieves pressure all at the same time. Worth every penny. Truly treat yourself.” – Matt
- From a Happy Couple: “As soon as I lay down I basically pass out. Absolutely the best decision I made was buying the wave. Now I know what sleeping on a cloud means. Perfect price for what you get! My husband is 6’8” so we bought the Cali king. He fits perfectly on it and loves the support of it for his 350lb frame. We will be buying again in the future for our guest bedroom and shore house.” – Katie
- From a Sound Sleeper: “I have been sleeping much better since I purchased my Wave mattress. It is firmer than my previous mattress especially on the edges. I suffer from pain in both shoulders and in my right hip and this pain has subsided since I bought the mattress. I am sleeping longer without interruption. For me, purchasing this mattress was a good move.” – Richard
Reasons to Buy or Not Buy the Casper Wave Hybrid
The Casper Wave Hybrid is one of the highest performing hybrid mattresses that we’ve tested at the Mattress Advisor mattress lab. Scoring an 8.5/10 or higher in every single category, we don’t have many qualms with the Casper Wave Hybrid.
Its plush comfort layers cushion sensitive parts of the body, making it an excellent mattress for side sleepers and those with body aches and pains. With a responsive feel, incredible motion isolating abilities, and sturdy edges, it’s a favorite amongst couples who sleep together.
With 13” of pocketed coils and foam layers, it delivers the cushion needed by lightweight sleepers and the resilience heavy sleepers require. However, keep in mind that the Wave has a medium feel, falling at a 5 on the 1-10 firmness scale. As such, the Wave’s feel is softer than the average mattress, so we don’t recommend it to those who like firm beds. Check out the other mattresses that made our best mattresses of 2020 countdown if you’d prefer something firmer.
Can I buy a Casper mattress in-person?
Casper has showrooms scattered across the United States where you can try out the Casper mattresses with the help of a non-commissioned sales person. Check out their store locator to find a location near you. If there isn’t a local Casper store, or if you’d rather shop from the comfort of your favorite chair, Casper beds come with the 100-night sleep trial that lets you test out your new bed from home!
How does the Casper Wave compare to the Casper Nova?
Both the Wave and Nova are hybrid mattresses with a similar composition, there are two main differences. The first is that the Nova is softer than the Wave, and the second is that the Nova is less expensive.
Do I need a mattress cover for the Casper Wave?
We recommend that you use a waterproof mattress cover from the first day you sleep on your new bed. Stains don’t only harm your mattress’s appearance, but they can void the sleep trial and warranty.
By clicking on the product links in this article, Mattress Advisor may receive a commission fee at no cost to you, the reader. Read full disclosure statement.