Emma CliMax Hybrid Mattress Review
Emma CliMax Hybrid Mattress Review
✔️Last updated: December 2023
|✔️Customer Rating: 4.7/5|
|✔️Mattress Advisor Score: 8.7/10|
|✔️Free Shipping & Returns|
|✔️365-Night Sleep Trial|
|✔️10-Year Limited Warranty|
Get 50% off
Overview: Emma Sleep is making no apologies and pulling no punches—the new Emma CliMax Hybrid mattress is made specifically with plus-size people and sex in mind. It’s a six-layer foam/innerspring hybrid designed for heavier sleepers who do more in bed than just sleep. We’ll take an in-depth look at the CliMax Hybrid in this review and, in keeping with the general theme, share the intimate details.
Note: The Emma CliMax Hybrid has been discontinued and replaced by the Emma Hybrid Comfort.
Who Is the Emma CliMax Hybrid Best For?
|Best for:||May not be best for:|
With the Emma CliMax Hybrid mattress, Emma Sleep takes aim at an underserved market and what might be considered a mainstream taboo. It’s a mattress not only designed for heavy people but also for heavy people with a healthy interest in sex. Everything about the CliMax Hybrid is intentional, from design and materials to the sales pitch.
In this review, we’ll cover everything you need to know about the CliMax Hybrid: how it’s made, how it performed in our sleep lab, and more. The tester who helped evaluate this mattress is pretty close in size to the CliMax Hybrid’s consumer profile, so plus-size sleepers will get a good sense of what they can expect from the product.
We’ll also evaluate product details including prices, warranty, sleep trial, and return policy so you can make an informed decision.
What We Love About the Emma CliMax Hybrid
- Specifically designed for heavier people
- Bouncy, responsive, conducive to intimate activities
- Supportive, even with a trim 11.5″ profile in twin through queen sizes
- Reasonably priced for a plus-size mattress
Here’s our scoring breakdown of the Emma CliMax Hybrid. The total is a combined, weighted score on a scale of 1-10. To find out more about the testing categories and criteria, see the description of our review process.
|Mattress Advisor Test||Score (Out of 10)|
⭐Total Score for the Emma CliMax Hybrid: 8.7/10⭐
Is the Emma CliMax Hybrid a Good Mattress?
- Responsiveness: Our tester was impressed with how the CliMax Hybrid responds to movement, saying its responsiveness is the next best thing to an all-latex bed.
- Design: Although it’s intended for people weighing 250 lbs and up, the mattress is a relatively compact 11.5″ tall in most sizes (king and California king are 12″ tall)—no need to pay extra for deep-pocket sheets.
- Affordability: Mattresses designed for plus-size sleepers tend to be more expensive than the typical bed, but the regular price for a queen-size CliMax Hybrid is $1,995. Emma Sleep is known for holding big sales, so you could even get a deep discount.
- Pressure Relief: Our tester graded the CliMax Hybrid about average for pressure relief, which is something to keep in mind if you have pain in your lower back, shoulders, or neck.
- Firmness: The 7.5/10 firmness, while great for heavier people in general, is probably too firm for many side sleepers, who need their hips and shoulders to sink into the mattress a bit to avoid pressure buildup.
- Availability: Based in Europe, Emma Sleep is apparently still building its infrastructure in the U.S. The website lists Alaska, Hawaii, and the territories of Puerto Rico, American Samoa and the U.S. Virgin Islands as non-serviceable areas.
Where Does It Fall on the Firmness Scale?
The Emma CliMax Hybrid has a 7.5/10 firmness, which falls squarely into the “firm” range without being ultra-firm. Its firmness corresponds with the plus-size consumer for whom it’s intended.
Does the Emma CliMax Hybrid Sleep Cool?
Our tester found this mattress to be reasonably cool, but not the coolest. It does benefit from the presence of an airflow-friendly innerspring layer, open-cell foam, and a breathable cover.
What Sleeping Positions Does It Work For?
We see the CliMax Hybrid as a great fit for back sleepers and some stomach sleepers. However, the firmness that makes it such a good match for those positions also means that side sleepers might find it too firm (and lacking in pressure relief). Combination sleepers whose primary position is on their backs will probably do fine.
How Much Weight Does the Mattress Support?
The CliMax Hybrid is designed to support up to 1,000 lbs total, or 500 lbs per side for two people sharing the mattress. This weight capacity puts it in the top tier of mattresses for heavier people.
What Foundations or Bed Frames Are Compatible?
According to Emma Sleep, you can use virtually any type of foundation or frame with the CliMax Hybrid—or even put it on your floor. Box springs, sometimes recommended for plus-size mattresses, are optional.
Emma CliMax Hybrid Materials
The CliMax Hybrid has six layers, including a plush pillow-top cover. The composition of the other five layers includes foam, innerspring coils, and a perimeter system for edge support.
- UltraDry Pillowtop Cover: Plush, hypoallergenic cover designed to wick away moisture
- AIRGOCELL Comfort Layer: Ultra-soft, open-cell foam that allows air to pass through for cooling and breathability
- CliMax Transition Layer: Visco-elastic foam with more than 100 supportive points for even weight distribution
- CliMax Pocketed Springs: Individually wrapped pocket coils engineered to provide 5 ergonomic and supportive zones for the head, shoulders, back, hips, and feet
- HRX Supreme Edge Support: High-density foam creating a reinforced perimeter around the mattress to help it resist sagging.
- HRX Supreme Support Layer: Durable, high-density foam that anchors the mattress
Emma CliMax Hybrid Sizes, Dimensions, and Pricing
The Emma CliMax Hybrid is available in most standard mattress sizes, with the exception of split king. At the time of publication, weights for the various sizes weren’t available.
|Twin||38″ x 75″ x 11.5″||N/A||$945|
|Twin XL||38″ x 80″ x 11.5″||N/A||$1,045|
|Full||54″ x 75″ x 11.5″||N/A||$1,245|
|Queen||60″ x 80″ x 11.5″||N/A||$1,995|
|King||76″ x 80″ x 12″||N/A||$2,195|
|Cal King||72″ x 84″ x 12″||N/A||$2,195|
*Prices do not reflect sales, exclusive offers, or discounts.
What’s Unboxing Like?
The Emma CliMax Hybrid ships as a bed-in-a-box, so all you need to do is unpack, unroll, and let it expand to its normal size. Our tester describes the process as very easy, with a normal amount of off-gassing that should go away in a day’s time.
|Delivery||Approximately 2-5 business days|
|Trial Period||365 nights|
|Warranty||10-year limited warranty|
|Return Policy||Free returns|
|Financing||Available through Klarna and Koalifi|
Shipping and Delivery
The box containing your Emma CliMax Hybrid ships free and should arrive in 2-5 business days. Also, you can request a scheduled delivery with in-home setup in select areas in the U.S. for a fee ranging from $69 to $129.
Unfortunately, at the time of publication Emma Sleep listed the following states and territories as non-serviceable:
- Puerto Rico
- U.S. Virgin Islands
- American Samoa
Sleep Trial Period
Emma offers a 365-night sleep trial, which is as good as any sleep trial you can find. The only hitch is that Emma Sleep’s suggested break-in period before initiating a return is 21 days. That period is 30 days with many mattress brands.
Emma Sleep Customer Service
You can contact Emma Sleep 24/7 through these channels:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: +1-888-580-3662
- Live chat: emmasleep.com
When we contacted Emma Sleep by phone, a customer service representative answered within 30 seconds and politely answered all our questions.
The 10-year limited warranty covers splits, cracks, factory defects, indentations greater than 1 inch, and more. For further details about coverage and refunds, see Emma Sleep’s terms and conditions.
Return shipping is free in the United States (excluding non-serviceable areas) or Canada. To be eligible for return, the mattress must be in fit condition to donate (no stains, tears, odors, etc.).
Is the Emma CliMax Hybrid Right for You?
Putting aside the playful nature of the Emma CliMax Hybrid’s marketing—even “CliMax” is a dual play on words—Emma Sleep has a very specific consumer in mind with this mattress: plus-sized sleepers with sex lives. If you happen to fit that profile, or the broader outline listed below, this mattress could very well be a great fit.
- Although it’s designed for people 250 lbs or more, sleepers in the 200- to 225-lb range will probably appreciate the firmness, responsiveness, and durability, as well.
- The firmness matches up well with back sleepers and stomach sleepers, although some side sleepers might seek out less firmness and more pressure relief.
- If your must-haves include quality materials, the foam used in the CliMax Hybrid has CertiPUR-US certification and the entire bed has Class 1 OEKO-Tex 1 Standard 100 certification. The mattress is also 100% vegan (but, as Emma Sleep jokingly points out, not edible).
- The Emma CliMax Hybrid is reasonably priced, particularly for a specialty mattress. It’s even less expensive than some beds intended for average-weight people.
The Emma Sleep CliMax Hybrid is meant for an underserved, frequently overlooked segment of the marketplace. Even if you’re a plus-size sleeper who’s not romantically active, this mattress offers a lot to like.
Emma Sleep’s line of sleep products also includes:
How do I take care of the CliMax Hybrid's mattress cover?
The Emma CliMax Hybrid’s cover is machine-washable. Emma Sleep recommends washing at 140°F (hot for most machines). You can clean small stains by hand with a gentle detergent.
Can I try out the Emma CliMax Hybrid in a store showroom?
Emma Sleep products are available only online, so you’ll have to rely on the 365-night sleep trial for a test-drive. However, the company is pursuing arrangements to sell its products in select retail stores.
Is this mattress good for people with allergies?
It has a hypoallergenic mattress cover. Also, it uses CertiPUR-US-certified foams made without ozone-depleting chemicals, formaldehyde, and other substances.
Best Mattresses for Heavy People
Whether you are slightly overweight, obese, or just have a larger body, we’ll help you find the right mattress in our best mattress for heavy people guide.
Best Mattress for Couples
See our top picks for the best mattresses for couples and learn what makes a good mattress for couples, especially if you have different sleep styles or preferences.
Best Mattresses for Sex (2023)
Your mattress is for more than sleep. Find the best mattresses for sex and learn what important qualities to consider in a mattress for sex.