GhostBed 3D Matrix Hybrid Mattress Review
By clicking on the product links in this article, Mattress Advisor may receive a commission fee at no cost to you, the reader. Read full disclosure statement.
Final Impression: The GhostBed 3D Matrix is a blissfully cool hybrid mattress. With 7 layers of plush memory foam, responsive latex-like foam, and individually-encased coils, the 3D Matrix offers the right balance of cushion and support for most sleepers. And with exceptional motion isolating properties and sturdy edges, it’s perfect for couples.
Who Is the GhostBed 3D Matrix Mattress Best for?
|GhostBed 3D Matrix is best for:||GhostBed 3D Matrix may not be best for:|
GhostBed has a reputation for making bed-in-a-box mattresses that are exceptionally cool. They’ve never scored below an 8.5 in our mattress reviews lab testing in cooling, and this instance is no different. GhostBed has delivered yet another mattress model, the GhostBed 3D Matrix hybrid, dedicated to giving you a cool, luxurious, and comfortable night of sleep.
Let’s explore how the GhostBed 3D Matrix scored in our mattress lab testing, product specs, FAQs, and everything else you need to know before you buy!
What makes it stand out:
- Made with all new 3D matrix technology, the new GhostBed 3D Matrix hybrid brings cooling and pressure relief to the next level.
- The innerspring unit inside the GhostBed 3D Matrix provides superior edge support and keeps motion transfer at bay.
- The new GhostBed offers a medium firmness level perfect for all types of sleepers.
Let’s take a look at how the 3D Matrix scored in each of our tests examining the customer experience. Learn more about our testing process here.
|Mattress Advisor Test||Score (Out of 10)|
⭐Total Score for the GhostBed 3D Matrix Mattress: 8.9/10⭐
Mattress Pros and Cons
- Cooling: If you sleep hot, the 3D Matrix may be just what you need to finally sleep through the night and wake up feeling fresh and clean.
- Edge support: GhostBed’s patented Spirited Edge support keeps the edges of the 3D Matrix stable and comfortable. Two rows of reinforced steel coils allow you to sit on the edge without feeling like you’re going to fall. Plus, they make it so you can sleep along the edges—something couples who like to spread out will appreciate.
- Hassle-free returns: One thing that sets bed-in-a-box brands like GhostBed apart from brick-and-mortar companies is their generous trial periods. Every GhostBed mattress comes with a 101-night sleep trial so you can try out your new mattress at home. And with free shipping and free returns, there’s zero risk to seeing if the 3D mattress is the right bed for you!
- Pressure Relief: We were a bit disappointed with the average pressure point relief this bed offered. It was especially bad in the hip area of our male tester and the shoulder of our female tester.
- Break-In Period: There is a break-in period of about 30 nights for the GhostBed 3D Matrix mattress—it shouldn’t take longer than this to get used to.
- Price: For a bed-in-a-box mattress, the GhostBed is relatively pricey for a queen-size bed. However, considering the quality and durability of the 3D Matrix, it’s still a great value!
This GhostBed could be better in the area of motion isolation. When we completed our human test, where we took turns feeling the other’s movements while blindfolded, we certainly felt some shaking. This isn’t great for light sleepers who sleep with a partner.
Next up, we did the wine test. As you can see in the video below the liquid was pretty shaky as well, but not too crazy. So, we gave the GhostBed 3D Matrix a 7.75 for motion.
The GhostBed 3D Matrix kicked butt in our edge support test. To make sure we got an accurate score, we did two different things to measure edge support. First we sat on the edge of the bed and tied our shoes. Though you can see a small sink, we felt completely supported. It was almost like sitting in a soft chair.
Next, we lay near the edge of the bed to serif we felt as if we would slide off. And though the cover had a silky smooth sateen finish, we felt completely stable. It was a firm, cradling feeling—exactly what medium-firm should be.
We’ve spent over 1,200 hours testing mattresses, and every GhostBed mattress that we’ve tested has impressed us when it comes to cooling features. The GhostBed 3D Matrix boasts the cooling technology found in the GhostBed Flex, plus a revolutionary cooling gel polymer.
All this fancy language means not only is this bed cool-to-the-touch, but the layers inside back it up. It’s got gel memory foam, latex foam, and a system of coils—all cooling materials for a cool mattress.
The GhostBed 3D Matrix is a medium-firm mattress, rating a 5.5-6.5 on the 1-10 firmness scale. Medium-firm mattresses are a good fit for around 80% of sleepers thanks to their balance of pressure relief and support.
When you lie down on the 3D Matrix, you’ll immediately feel the surface contour to your curves, distributing weight away from pressure points. However, you won’t notice the traditional memory foam hugging feel. GhostBed’s 3D matrix layer counters memory foam’s sinking tendencies, delivering a feel of sleeping “in” and not “on” the mattress.
Underneath the memory foam layers are responsive latex-like foam and supportive innerspring coils that ensure your body is sufficiently supported. The level of support is firm enough for most plus-size sleepers.
Does It Match Different Types of Sleepers?
Side sleepers need a mattress with comfort layers plush enough to cushion the hips and shoulders without sinking in so far as to cause poor spine alignment. The GhostBed 3D Matrix offers the right balance of give and support for side sleepers.
This bed is not for side sleepers who are pressure sensitive in their hips, especially if you weigh more than 130 pounds. If this describes you, head over to our top mattresses for side sleepers page for more recommendations.
Stomach sleepers need a bed that’s supportive enough to keep your hips from sinking in too far. We found the 3D Matrix to be that supportive. On our pressure map, lightweight stomach sleepers saw almost no pressure, but heavier stomach sleepers saw slight pressure in the chest area. If you’re heavier, check out some of our other recommendations in our best mattress for stomach sleepers guide.
Back sleepers of all shapes and sizes will find what they need for a good night’s rest with the 3D Matrix. The pocketed coils ensure that the heavier parts of the body are properly supported while the memory foam cushions sensitive areas, making it a good mattress for back sleepers.
Combination sleepers spend much of their nights repositioning, whether from side to back or stomach to side. The GhostBed 3D mattress quickly adapts when you change positions, with its innerspring support system supporting ease-of-movement. And thanks to the aptly named Ghost Bounce layer, even the foams in the GhostBed are crafted so combination sleepers can sleep peacefully.
In our responsiveness test, we found that the 3D Matrix easily adjusted to side and back sleeping, but it took us a bit longer to get comfortable on our stomachs. For other responsive recommendations, jump over to our best mattress for combination sleepers page.
How Well Does It Regulate Temperature?
The GhostBed 3D Matrix hybrid mattress takes the cooling comfort GhostBed is known for to the next level, making it one of the best cooling mattresses for hot sleepers. It combines the cooling power of Ghost Ice fabric, gel memory foam, and a gel polymer called the 3D matrix.
The 3D polymer comfort layer is made from conductive gel polymer. The conductivity of this material is crucial to its function in the mattress. As your body gives off heat when you sleep, the 3D matrix layer absorbs it and allows the heat to travel away from your body.
This new 3D matrix layer bio-adjusts to multiple body shapes at the same time, meaning both you and your sleep partner get the temperature regulation effects of the gel polymer simultaneously through body weight distribution and heat diffusion. So, you both sleep cool, even with another person in the bed.
Does It Support Heavier People?
The GhostBed 3D Matrix is an good mattress for plus-size sleepers. Each side of larger GhostBed mattresses (queen-size, king-size, and larger) support 350 pounds thanks to supportive innerspring coils and reinforced edges. Heavy back sleepers are best suited by the combination of support and cushion found in the GhostBed 3D Matrix.
Best Foundations for the 3D Matrix
The GhostBed mattress will work on your existing box spring foundation, slatted frame, platform bed, adjustable bed frame, or another flat surface, as long as it’s in good condition. If you use a slatted foundation, the slats can be no more than 4” apart. However, GhostBed does recommend pairing your new mattress with one of their matching foundations, so your mattress can have the longest life possible.
Layers and Construction
The GhostBed 3D Matrix contains 7 layers of materials to bring you the comfort and support of luxury.
- Ghost Ice Cooling Cover: A mattress cover made with advanced technology to be cool to the touch.
- 3D Matrix Polymer Layer: Made from a gel polymer material that is highly conductive, this top layer works to absorb body heat that’s making it too hot for you to sleep. It is also ergonomically designed to keep you from sinking into the mattress.
- Gel Memory Foam Layer (2″): Shapes to your body for pressure relief at areas like the hips and shoulders.
- Ghost Bounce Layer (2″): Patented by GhostBed, this polyurethane foam layer is responsive like latex foam with contouring reminiscent of memory foam. It’s also very resilient.
- Ghost 3D Matrix Soft Transition Foam Layer (1”): Made with pressure relief in mind, this plush layer of polyfoam relaxes the body, keeping you from tossing and turning all night.
- Individually Wrapped Support Coils (6”): These pocketed coils are isolated to be responsive like an innerspring mattress while ensuring motion isolation.
- High Density Support Foam (1”): Provides extra support for a more durable mattress.
GhostBed 3D Matrix Mattress Sizes, Dimensions, and Pricing
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 12”||81 lbs.||$1,750|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 12”||122 lbs.||$2,495|
|King||76” x 80” x 12”||150 lbs.||$2,995|
|Cal King||72” x 84” x 12”||149 lbs.||$2,995|
|Split King (2 Twin XL)||76” x 80” x 12”||162 lbs.||$3,500|
*Prices do not reflect exclusive offers or discounts. Click below to see the best price for the GhostBed 3D Matrix mattress.
Read More: GhostBed Mattress Coupons
What’s Setup Like?
The GhostBed 3D Matrix arrives compressed in a box on your doorstep. Carry your mattress, while still in the box, up to your bedroom. It’s best to remove the mattress from its packaging on your bed frame or other foundation. Once you unbox it, roll it out and allow it to expand.
It took us 1 minute and 16 seconds to completely unbox the GhostBed 3D Matrix. And with the queen mattress weighing, over 100 pounds, it was very heavy. We recommend doing this with a partner.
Buying a mattress online may seem intimidating, but the process is pretty simple, especially if you know what to expect. Here we’ll examine what the buying process is like, how to make returns, what the warranty covers, and more.
|Delivery||Free shipping within contiguous USA in 2-5 business days|
|Trial Period||101 nights|
|Return Policy||Free returns|
|Financing||Available through Affirm|
What You Need to Know About Shipping and Delivery
The GhostBed 3D mattress is shipped for free within the contiguous United States, arriving at your doorstep within 2-5 business days. While GhostBed does ship to Hawaii and Alaska, their large $600 shipping fee may make it better to look for a different mattress.
GhostBed doesn’t offer White Glove Delivery with mattress setup and old mattress removal, so you’ll need to set it up on your own. The mattress is heavy (122 pounds for a queen), so it’s easiest if you have a friend to help.
Breaking Down the Sleep Trial
You have 101 days from the day your new mattress is shipped to try it out in the comfort of your home. During this time, you want to see whether or not you’re sleeping better as well as how you feel come morning. In the rare chance that the 3D Matrix isn’t the best fit, you can return your bed during the trial period for a 100% refund.
GhostBed does require that you keep your new bed for 30 days. This time period ensures that you’ve given the mattress a fair shot. Memory foam, like that found in the Matrix’s comfort layers, takes time to settle and break in. It’s not until 30 days of sleeping on the mattress that it will reach its final comfort level.
Contact GhostBed’s customer service after 30 days and before 101 days if you need to return your bed. GhostBed works with local charities so the mattress goes to someone in need. Once the charity picks up the bed, you’ll receive a full refund.
The Warranty in Plain Language
The GhostBed 3D Matrix comes with a generous 25-year limited warranty that covers defects in materials or workmanship. If you experience an indentation of greater than 1”, physical flaws, or other issues, contact GhostBed to complete a warranty claim.
All Customer Service Contact Info
You can contact GhostBed 7 days a week using phone, email, or their live chat feature at ghostbed.com. Their hours are 8 AM – 10 PM.
We only have good things to say about their customer service team. Every time we’ve had questions, they’ve been prompt and knowledgeable. Even our buying process and shipping times were great!
Here’s what real customers have to say.
- “Having studied at the Deming Institute and received certification in TQA/TQM, rarely have I given a 5-star evaluative product or customer service review! In this case, both apply!” -Victoria W.
- “Customer service live chat and email have been pretty awesome with quick response times.” -Kate J.
- “After over a year of tossing and turning and getting little to no actual sleep, I’m once again able to sleep through the night. Great mattress and amazing customer service!” -Leslie R.
Learn About the Return Policy
GhostBed backs their mattresses with free returns within their 101-night trial period—you just have to wait until after 30 days to initiate the return. Contact GhostBed customer service via phone, email, or live chat to get the process started.
You’ll get a full refund once your mattress has been picked up by a local charity, organized by GhostBed.
Related: GhostBed Mattress Return Policy
“This bed is amazing! Yet very dangerous I can barely pull myself out of it in the morning.” -Zachry N.
“Delivery and setup was easy!” -Anthony B.
“I sleep so good, it’s scary! The 3D matrix mattress is the perfect combination of firm and softness. Worth every penny spent.” -Adam A.
Reasons to Buy or Not Buy the GhostBed 3D Matrix
The GhostBed 3D Matrix is a luxury hybrid mattress that excels at keeping you dry and cool all night long. It’s the only GhostBed mattress with their revolutionary 3D matrix cooling technology. Combined with the Ghost Ice fabric, gel-infused memory foam, and breathable innerspring coils, and you have a mattress that can keep even the hottest sleeper cool.
On top of providing relief for hot sleepers, the 3D Matrix boasts 5 layers of foams that provide cushion to pressure points without allowing excess sagging. The foams work in concert with the responsive pocketed coils to deliver a balanced feel and exceptional spine alignment. Most sleepers will find the medium-firm feel to fit their needs, particularly back and combination sleepers of all shapes and sizes.
While the GhostBed 3D Matrix is one of the best luxury hybrid mattresses on the market, it isn’t perfect for everyone. Lightweight side sleepers require more cushion than the Matrix provides, while heavy stomach sleepers need something even firmer. Check out our top mattress picks for side sleepers and stomach sleepers.
Other GhostBed Mattresses
- Original GhostBed: Check out this affordable latex mattress, starting at $495.
- GhostBed Luxe: Even more cooling than the original, the GhostBed Luxe offers exceptional spine alignment, staring at $1,145.
- GhostBed Flex: Learn more about this cooling mattress that is perfect for couples, starting at $1,045.
Can I return my mattress if I spill something on it?
To return your mattress, it must be in great condition. Tears, spills, bed bugs, or other damage can void the sleep trial, making the mattress final sale. To protect your mattress, we recommend using a waterproof mattress protector from day 1.
How do I clean my mattress cover?
You can remove and spot clean the GhostBed mattress cover. Just let it dry fully before you put it back on your mattress.
Can I sleep on my GhostBed mattress right away?
While it’s safe to sleep on your new mattress the same night you receive it, you may want to wait between 1-3 days. For the first day, you’ll notice a slight odor that slowly fades. Additionally, it can take up to 5 days for the mattress to fully decompress. However, we’ve found the GhostBed mattresses comfortable the same day that we received them.
By clicking on the product links in this article, Mattress Advisor may receive a commission fee at no cost to you, the reader. Read full disclosure statement.