GhostBed Flex Mattress Review
By clicking on the product links in this article, Mattress Advisor may receive a commission fee at no cost to you, the reader. Read full disclosure statement.
Our verdict: The GhostBed Flex is one of the best hybrid mattresses that we’ve tested. With impeccable motion isolation abilities, sturdy edges, and cooling technology, the Flex is for couples and those who sleep hot. Its responsiveness and medium-firm firmness make it a great mattress for every sleep position, even combination sleepers.
Who Is the GhostBed Flex Mattress Best for?
|GhostBed Flex is best for:||GhostBed Flex may not be best for:|
The GhostBed Flex is a one of the best hybrid mattresses that we’ve tested at the Mattress Advisor lab, scoring an 8/10 or higher in every category that has to do with its performance and feel. With 4” of foam and cooling fiber atop responsive support coils, sleepers enjoy the benefits of contouring memory foam alongside the springy cooling effects of innerspring coils.
Read on to see how the Ghost Flex hybrid mattress performed at our in-house testing lab. We’ll go over how it feels, who it’s best (and worst) for, the purchase process, and more.
Our favorite things:
- The GhostBed Flex has generous layers of foam and fiber that dampen motion. Its motion isolation properties are some of the best we’ve ever experienced in a hybrid mattress, earning it a 9.75/10 in this category. You’d be hard-pressed to find an all-foam bed with similar abilities!
- With cooling fiber, gel memory foam, and airy innerspring coils, the Flex sleeps incredibly cool. Say goodbye to waking up hot and sweaty.
- Our sleep testers were impressed with the sturdiness and comfort of the Flex’s edges. Solid edge support is essential for couples who like to spread out to ensure a restful night’s sleep.
- Bouncy innerspring coils and a layer of responsive foam with properties similar to latex foam create an incredibly responsive feel. What this means is that you can easily switch positions without the typical sinkage caused by some all-foam mattresses. Combination sleepers and couples do best with a responsive bed.
Let’s break down how the Flex scored in each of our tests. We rate each factor on a 1-10 scale, with 10 being the best. We then calculate the final Mattress Advisor score using a weighted average, with performance mattering the most. Learn more about our testing process here.
|Mattress Advisor Test||Score (Out of 10)|
⭐Total Score for the GhostBed Flex Mattress: 9.2/10⭐
The Pros and Cons
- Motion transfer: Generous polyfoam and memory foam layers, combined with individually encased coils, do a superb job absorbing motion. When our sleep testers moved around, a glass of red wine balancing on the other side barely wiggled! What this means is that you won’t wake up every time your partner switches positions or gets in or out of bed.
- Edge support: Our sleep testers found the edges of the GhostBed Flex stable and comfortable. They were able to lay along the edges easily, and sitting on the sides felt nice and sturdy.
- Responsiveness: We found it easy to move from one position to the next, earning the Flex a 9/10 for responsiveness. Combination sleepers and those who toss and turn do best with a mattress that quickly adjusts to their movements. The slight bouncy feel also makes adult activities a bit easier.
- Cooling: GhostBed has some of the best cooling technology available today. With gel memory foam, a cooling cover, and breathable innerspring coils, the Flex doesn’t trap body heat, helping to keep you cool and dry all night long.
- Durability: Measuring over 13”, with a thick layer of pocketed coils reinforced by high-density support foam, the GhostBed mattress is one of the most supportive and durable beds that we’ve tested. It’s this durability that makes the Flex an excellent choice for heavy sleepers and those who want a mattress that they can use for 10 or 20 years.
- Lightweight Sleepers: The Flex’s comfort layers don’t offer the level of cushion at pressure points needed by lightweight side sleepers. The balanced feel of contouring and support is best for side sleepers who weigh over 130 pounds.
- Off-Gassing: You’ll notice a slight odor when you first unbox your new GhostBed mattress. This is normal for a mattress with memory foam, and is known as off-gassing. We found this scent to fade within a few hours.
- Social Impact: While GhostBed does work to have any returned mattress donated to charity, they don’t do much else in the social impact arena.
The motion absorbing abilities of the GhostBed Flex mattress are scary good. Our sleep subjects could barely even tell when their partner was on the mattress; they didn’t feel them leave the bed at all. Plus, when we tested this with wine, we were even more impressed. Take a look at the video below—the wine was hauntingly still!
The spines of our sleep subjects while on the GhostBed Flex were well taken care of—they were nearly in perfect alignment. Check out the photo below to see the ideal straight spine we look for.
The level of pressure relief that you’ll feel on the Flex mattress depends on your body weight. Our sleep testers who weighed more than 130 pounds found the balanced feel perfect for relief at the hips, shoulders, and lower back, but those who weighed less found the Flex a bit firm, especially when lying on their sides.
Take a look at our pressure mapping results below—red zones are areas of high pressure. As you can see, one of our sleep testers experienced a build-up of pressure at the shoulders.
We recommend a mattress with a plush top layer for lightweight side sleepers. Check out our top picks for the best mattresses for side sleepers if you require extra cushion.
Many mattresses with memory foam top layers are a bit soft along the edges, but not the GhostBed Flex. When our sleep testers laid along the edges, they felt secure and comfortable. This same stability was felt when our testers sat along the edges of the Flex. If you’re someone who likes to spread out, or if you use the edges to make getting into or out of bed easier, the Flex is an excellent choice.
The GhostBed Flex is a medium-firm mattress, rating between a 5.5 and 6.5 on the 1-10 firmness scale. With 4” of padding above pocketed coils, the Flex has the cushion of a memory foam mattress combined with the support of an innerspring bed. The top delivers a balanced foam experience that falls between sleep “on” and “in” the mattress, while the springs deliver responsive support.
Is It for Your Position?
The medium-firmness and springy support of the GhostBed Flex works for every sleeping position. The average side sleeper receives the pressure relief that they require, back sleepers love the combination of give and support, and stomach sleepers the firmness needed to keep the hips in line with the spine. Combination sleepers also do well thanks to the springy coils that make it easy to switch positions.
How Is Temperature Regulation?
Scoring a 9/10 in our cooling evaluation, the GhostBed Flex is designed to keep even the hottest sleepers comfortable. With cooling fiber, gel-infused memory foam, and breathable innerspring coils, the Flex doesn’t trap body heat. Instead, it allows your body to properly regulate temperature throughout the night.
Is There a Weight Limit?
The GhostBed Flex has a weight limit of 350 pounds per side of the bed for queen-size beds and larger. Thanks to 13” of cushiony foam, supportive innerspring coils, and sturdy high-density polyfoam, the Flex is an excellent mattress for heavyweight sleepers. However, stomach sleepers over 230 pounds may find the sleeping surface too soft, while lightweight side sleepers may find it too firm.
Best Foundations and Bed Frames
The GhostBed Flex works with any firm, flat surface. You can choose from a box spring and traditional foundation, an adjustable base, a slatted foundation, a platform bed, or a bunkie board. Just be sure that your foundation is in good condition so your mattress receives the support that it needs to last.
What Makes Up GhostBed Flex
The GhostBed Flex is made from 7 layers of hybrid comfort that combine to offer support, contouring, and cooling.
- Cooling Cover: A soft cover with cool burt airflow technology makes the cover cool-the-the-touch.
- 1” Cool Fiber Layer: The second layer of the Flex is woven into the first to help promote airflow.
- 1” Gel Memory Foam: Next, the gel memory foam layer works to provide optimal contouring, while gel-infusion transfers heat away from the body.
- A Repeat of Layer 3: So good, they added it twice in a row.
- 1” GhostBounce Transition Foam: A unique transition foam layer that contributes the responsiveness of latex with the contouring abilities of memory foam.
- 8.5” of Individually Wrapped Pocket Coils: The Ghost Flex innerspring coil unit is designed to eliminate motion transfer and maximize edge support—two outer rows of reinforced coils create added support around the edge.
- 1” High-Density Base Foam: The final layer of the Flex is made with supportive base foam to reinforce the durability and longevity of the entire structure.
GhostBed Flex Mattress Sizes, Dimensions, and Pricing
|Twin||38” x 75” x 13”||76 lbs.||$1,695|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 13”||81 lbs.||$1,850|
|Full||54” x 75” x 13”||100 lbs.||$1,975|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 13”||122 lbs.||$2,130|
|King||76” x 80” x 13”||150 lbs.||$2,445|
|Cal King||72” x 84” x 13”||141 lbs.||$2,465|
|Split King (2 Twin XL)||76” x 80” x 13”||162 lbs.||$3,700|
*Prices do not reflect exclusive offers or the best GhostBed discounts. Click below to see the best price for the GhostBed Flex mattress.
Ease of Unboxing
It took us exactly two minutes to unbox and set up the GhostBed Flex mattress. This mattress was on the heavier side but it puffed to life instantly. It had a slight odor when it was first opened but it went away quickly. A queen size mattress weighs approximately 122 lbs., so you’ll definitely want to recruit some help to get this bed set up.
Now that you know what to expect from the mattress itself, let’s dig into what the purchase process and policies are like.
|Delivery||Free shipping within contiguous USA in 2-5 business days|
|Trial Period||101 nights|
|Return Policy||Free returns|
|Financing||Available through Affirm|
How Long Is Delievery?
When you buy a new GhostBed mattress, you can expect it on your doorstep in 2-5 business days via FedEx. Shipping is free to the lower 48 states, whereas GhostBed charges a $600 freight shipping fee to addresses in Hawaii or Alaska.
You don’t need to be home to sign for your new mattress. GhostBed doesn’t offer any expedited shipping or White Glove Delivery.
Translating the Sleep Trial
GhostBed mattresses come with a 101-night sleep trial that starts the day that the mattress is shipped. You must try out your new bed for 30 nights before being eligible for a return. This 30 days gives the mattress time to break in and your body time to adjust to the new feel. If you decide to return your mattress after 30 nights but before 101 nights, you’ll receive a full refund.
What Is the Warranty?
GhostBed Flex comes with a 25-year warranty, much longer than the industry-standard 10-year warranty. This warranty covers defects in materials and workmanship, including indentations greater than 1”.
You must register your new mattress at www.ghostbed.com within 30 days of purchase to be covered under warranty. To file a claim, contact GhostBed through their live chat, 1-855-855-4499, or email them at email@example.com.
Read More: GhostBed Mattress Warranty
How Is Customer Service?
GhostBed is available via live chat, phone, or email 7 days a week from 8 AM – 10 PM EST.
We’ve found GhostBed’s customer service team to be friendly and knowledgeable. When we reached out during normal business hours, we received immediate service using the live chat feature at ghostbed.com.
Here’s what customers have to say about GhostBed customer service.
- “I haven’t received my bed yet because I had to delay delivery due to moving, but the associates at GhostBed have been amazing! I had a billing issue they resolved and even contacted me multiple times to keep me up to date. I also had to change my delivery address. They have made everything so easy! I can’t wait to get the bed!” -Amy L.
- “The bed is so comfortable and I was very impressed with the shipping speed as well as the customer service!” -Brandy D.
- “After reviewing various bed-in-a-box mattress sides I settled with the GhostBed due to varying recommendations. After browsing for various hours at different deals I contacted their CS concerning a deal I had seen that was expired. Their team took care of me and my needs for what I was looking for.” -Marco C.
Learning About the Return Policy
Returning a GhostBed mattress is a straightforward process. You must contact them before the 101-night sleep trial is up, but not before 30 nights (they want to make sure you really gave the mattress a chance). All you need to do is contact them via phone, email, or live chat to get started.
GhostBed will work with you to find a local charity to pick up the mattress. Once it’s been collected by a local non-profit, you’ll receive a full refund within a few business days.
Let’s take a look at what real life customers have to say about the Ghost Flex mattress.
- “I always have back pain since having my babies, so I decided to try the Ghost Flex with the adjustable base, and man I am sleeping so rested and my back isn’t hurting as bad! Love this bed!!” -Sasha B.
- I love my GhostBed Flex queen mattress. It offers the best softness and support I could have asked for and I love the side edging support so I can use the whole mattress! Great product.” -Lloyd F.
- “My old mattress was causing me major back pain and with the weather getting warmer I would wake up out of sleep because of the heat. Now my back pain has significantly decreased and my GhostBed keeps me cool on hot days! (I work nights). So happy and proud to be a GhostBed owner!” -Hunter W.
Should You Buy the GhostBed Flex?
The GhostBed Flex is one of the best hybrid mattresses that we’ve tested. Scoring an 8/10 or higher in every category that relates to performance and comfort, the Flex is an excellent choice for many sleepers.
Its medium-firm feel and springy support make it a good option for every sleeping position, including combination sleepers. Only lightweight side sleepers and back sleepers who prefer an ultra-plush surface are likely to find the Flex mattress too firm (check out our top picks for the best mattresses for side sleepers). Additionally, heavy stomach sleepers may be better served by a firm to extra-firm mattress, such as the Plank.
Thanks to some of the best motion isolation abilities that we’ve come across, we love the GhostBed Flex for couples who sleep together. And with sturdy edges and an exceptionally cool sleeping experience, you can spread out and sleep soundly all night long, even when sharing the bed!
How the GhostBed Flex Compares
Out of the four GhostBed mattresses, GhostBed Flex is the best choice for couples. Its motion isolation is nearly perfect, and it comes with a split king option, meaning both you and your partner can have your own space with this size: like two mattresses in one!
Is the GhostBed available in stores?
No, you can only buy GhostBed mattresses online. By skipping the showroom, GhostBed is able to save money and pass these savings onto you.
Is it easy to finance a GhostBed mattress?
Yes, financing with GhostBed is simple. When you checkout, select “Affirm Flex Pay Financing” on the right-hand side of the page rather than entering in your payment details. The site will then see if you’re approved and arrange financing within minutes!
Where are GhostBed mattresses made?
GhostBed proudly manufactures each of their mattresses in the United States.
By clicking on the product links in this article, Mattress Advisor may receive a commission fee at no cost to you, the reader. Read full disclosure statement.