GhostBed Luxe Mattress Review
By clicking on the product links in this article, Mattress Advisor may receive a commission fee at no cost to you, the reader. Read full disclosure statement.
TLDR: Advertised as “the coolest bed in the world,” the GhostBed Luxe truly is one of the coolest memory foam mattresses that we’ve tested. GhostBed’s proprietary foam technology doesn’t feel like other all foam-beds. It’s responsive and supportive, balancing pressure relief with incredible spine alignment.
Who Is the GhostBed Luxe Mattress Best for?
|GhostBed Luxe is best for:||GhostBed Luxe may not be best for:|
The GhostBed Luxe is a gel memory foam mattress that is cooling, responsive, and supportive. It’s one of the highest scoring mattresses we’ve tested! In our in-depth GhostBed Luxe mattress review, we’ll share our experience with the GhostBed Luxe. You’ll learn what makes it special, its pros and cost, and whether or not it would be a good fit for you.
The best things:
- The GhostBed Luxe contains phase-change material, cooling gel, and breathable fiber for a cool and dry sleeping experience. In fact, it earned a spot in our best mattresses for hot sleepers list.
- The GhostBed Luxe offers the pressure relief of memory foam with impeccable responsiveness and support rarely seen in an all-foam bed.
- Thanks to cooling technology, a bouncy feel, and impressive motion isolation, the GhostBed mattress is an excellent choice for couples.
Take a look at our video review of the GhostBed Luxe mattress below to see how it performed in our testing. Pay attention to the factors that are most important to you!
Now we’ll break down the individual scores for each test we performed on the GhostBed Luxe mattress. You can learn more about our review process here.
|Mattress Advisor Test||Score (Out of 10)|
⭐Total Score for the GhostBed Luxe Mattress: 8.9/10⭐
GhostBed Luxe Testing Highlights
- Cooling: GhostBed includes cooling features in nearly every layer, from the cool-to-the-touch GhostIce fabric to gel infusion and a Ghose Ice layer. We scored the GhostBed Luxe 9/10 for its cooling properties, making it one of the coolest memory foam mattresses that we’ve tested.
- Spine alignment: Did you know that good posture at night is just as important as proper posture during the day? Both of our sleep testers experienced near-perfect spinal alignment when lying on the Luxe, earning it a 9.25/10 for spine alignment.
- Responsiveness: Mattresses with generous memory foam layers are often hard to move around on. Unlike the typical memory foam bed, we found the GhostBed to be incredibly quick to adjust to our movements. You won’t feel stuck when you reposition, making the GhostBed Luxe a good fit for combination sleepers and those who toss and turn.
- Pressure relief: Using pressure imaging technology, we saw that the Luxe’s plush comfort layer did a great job of dissipating pressure at problem areas. Side sleepers need a mattress that cushions pressure points for a restful night’s sleep and fewer aches and pains come morning.
- GhostBed offers a 101-night sleep trial with free returns and a 25-year warranty. While the trial period is comparable to the average bed-in-a-box mattress company, it’s more generous than that of the average brick-and-mortar mattress. And their 25-year warranty is over twice the length of the typical 10-year warranty.
- The GhostBed Luxe mattress has a mild off-gassing odor when you first remove it from its packaging. We found this scent to quickly dissipate, so you should be good to sleep on your new bed within a day or two. Because GhostBed uses CertiPUR-US foams, you don’t have to worry about these odors causing any damage to your health.
- Social Impact: Outside of donating returned mattresses, GhostBed doesn’t do much to benefit their community or the environment.
Have you ever felt stuck in a mattress? Some memory foam beds or ultra-soft pillow top mattresses suck you in, making it hard to switch positions. This type of mattress can wake you up when you need to move around, and they’re not the best for sex.
Unlike many all-foam beds, our sleep testers found it easy to move around on the GhostBed Luxe. Its Ghost Bounce layer quickly adapts to movements so you can change positions with ease, earning it a 9.25/10 for responsiveness. Combination sleepers and couples will enjoy the responsive feel of the GhostBed.
Edge support is a factor that’s a huge deal for some and doesn’t matter much for others. If you struggle to get in and out of bed or sleep along the edges, you need a sturdy edge. While the GhostBed Luxe offers okay edge support, we found the edges to be a bit soft, earning it a 7.8/10 for edge support.
Some mattresses cause back pain while others ease it. The difference between the two is primarily due to how well it supports the spine. To measure how well a mattress supports proper spine alignment, we have our sleep testers lie down and we examine the shape of their spines. Ideally, you want the spine to be straight from the base of the tailbone to the neck.
As you can see from the pictures of our sleep testers, the GhostBed Luxe facilitated nearly perfect spine alignment. With a 9.25/10 for spinal alignment, the GhostBed Luxe is excellent for sleepers with back pain.
The GhostBed Luxe is a medium-firm mattress, rating a 5.5 on the 1-10 firmness scale. The feel is somewhat plush along the surface, without allowing excess sinkage. You’ll experience a balanced foam feel that falls in between sleeping “on” and “in” a mattress.
How It Fits Your Sleeping Position
Back sleepers of every body size tend to enjoy the GhostBed Luxe. Our sleep testers experienced nearly perfect alignment when on their backs thanks to a good balance of contouring give and responsive support.
The Luxe is an excellent fit for side sleepers who weigh 130 pounds or more. Lightweight side sleepers may find the surface too firm, causing pain in the hips or shoulders. Side sleepers who weigh more than 230 pounds may find that their hips sink in too low and should look for a slightly more supportive mattress.
Stomach sleepers do better on a firmer mattress. You want to look for a bed that’s around a 7 or higher on the 1-10 firmness scale. The added structure keep the hips in line with the rest of the body, reducing lower back pain.
The GhostBed is responsive, meaning it’s easy to switch positions—something that combination sleepers do all night long. So long as you spend most of your time on your back or side, the GhostBed Luxe should accommodate your needs.
GhostBed advertises the Luxe as “the coolest bed in the world.” While that claim seems a bit far-fetched—there are some incredibly cool hybrid and innerspring mattresses—it is one of the coolest memory foam mattresses that we’ve tested at the Mattress Advisor lab.
Its cooling properties start with its GhostIce fabric. This cooling fabric keeps the mattress surface refreshingly cold. Next, the layers of gel-infused memory foam and revolutionary phase change technology found in the Ghost Ice layer limit heat retention, supporting a cool experience all night long.
Does It Support Your Body Shape?
The GhostBed Luxe is best for sleepers who weigh less than 230 pounds. While this bed can support up to 350 pounds per side on the queen-size and larger mattress, our heavier sleep testers felt like their hips sank in a bit too much. Hybrid mattresses are typically better for plus-size sleepers.
Do You Need a Special Foundation?
The Luxe works with most bed frames and foundations. You can use a box spring and foundation that are in good condition, a slatted base with slats no more than 4” apart, a platform bed, or even the floor. It also works with an adjustable base.
The GhostBed Luxe is a 6-layer memory foam mattress made with revolutionary cooling technology.
- Ghost Ice Fabric: Soft cover that is cool from the first touch.
- ½” Cool Fiber Layer: Provides air flow and an immediate soft feel.
- 1” Gel Memory Foam: Hugs the body for optimal pressure relief.
- Ghost Ice Layer: Phase change technology adapts to your body temperature while you sleep so you stay comfortable all night long.
- 2” Gel Memory Foam: Another layer of gel memory foam for exceptional contouring.
- 2” Ghost Bounce foam: Boasts the responsive feel of latex and the supportive contouring of memory foam.
- 7.5” Support Core: High-density foam for stability and longevity
GhostBed Luxe Mattress Sizes, Dimensions, and Pricing
|Twin||38” x 75” x 13”||76 lbs.||$1,845|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 13”||81 lbs.||$1,995|
|Full||54” x 75” x 13”||100 lbs.||$2,125|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 13”||122 lbs.||$2,320|
|King||76” x 80” x 13”||150 lbs.||$2,620|
|Cal King||72” x 84” x 13”||149 lbs.||$2,640|
*Prices do not reflect exclusive offers or discounts. Click below to see the best price for the GhostBed Luxe mattress.
Related: GhostBed Mattress Coupons
The Unboxing Process
We found it a bit tricky to free the GhostBed Luxe from its packaging and set it up, but it still only took us a minute and a half. Try to find a friend to make the process easier.
There was a slight off-gassing odor when we took the plastic off, but it faded in just a few hours. It puffed up to life quickly, too.
Now that you know what to expect from the Luxe mattress, let’s dive into the purchase process, company policies, and more.
|Delivery||Compressed and rolled in a box|
|Trial Period||101 days|
|Warranty||25-year limited warranty|
|Return Policy||Full refund on returns within 101-night sleep trial|
|Financing||Available through Affirm and Katapult|
When Do You Get Your Mattress?
GhostBed offers fast and free shipping anywhere in the contiguous United States—you can expect your new mattress to arrive at your doorstep within 3-5 business days. There’s a $600 shipping fee to Alaska and Hawaii, making the GhostBed mattresses not the best choice for those outside of the lower 48 states.
You don’t need to be home to sign for your mattress. A FedEx representative will simply leave the box on your doorstep. GhostBed only offers standard delivery.
Your Trial Period
GhostBed mattresses come with a 101-night sleep trial, which is right around the industry standard. They do offer free shipping and free returns, so you can try out the Luxe mattress risk-free.
Keep in mind that the GhostBed trial period starts from the shipping date, not the date that you receive your new mattress. Contact GhostBed’s customer service team if you think you may return your new mattress to be sure that you do so in the correct time frame.
GhostBed doesn’t accept returns for the first 30 days of ownership. It can take weeks for the mattress to reach its final feel and for your body to adjust to sleeping on a new bed.
How Does the Warranty Measure Up?
The GhostBed Luxe warranty is an incredibly generous 25-year warranty, far longer than the typical 10-year warranty. The warranty covers defects in materials or workmanship, including indentations greater than 1”.
GhostBed Customer Service
GhostBed’s customer service team is available from 8 AM to 10 PM every day of the week. You can contact them via:
- Live chat at ghostbed.com
- Phone at 1-855-855-4499
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Every time we’ve had a question, we’ve reached out to GhostBed using their live chat feature. We’ve found this to be the fastest way to receive answers from most mattress companies, and GhostBed was no exception. We received fast, friendly responses using live chat.
Here’s what customers have to say about GhostBed customer service.
- “They were very patient and understanding with me. Very professional and courteous.” -Linda K.
- “Excellent customer service. Bed arrived promptly.” -List T.
- “I had purchased a full size mattress and boxspring from GhostBed and my box spring never made it to my door. I gave GhostBed a call and told them what had happened and they shipped me another boxspring and apologized for any inconvenience. Great service!” -Ryan H.
The Ins and Out of the Return Policy
The GhostBed return process is simple. If you find that the mattress isn’t working for you, simply contact GhostBed after you’ve had your mattress for 30 days, but before the end of the trial period (101 days after the shipping date). They’ll send you paperwork and organize for a local charity to pick up the bed. After the bed is collected, you’ll receive a full refund.
Still unsure if the GhostBed Luxe is the mattress for you? Check out what real-life customers have to say about the Luxe mattress.
- “The bed is awesome! From the cooling effect to the right level of firmness, it has changed our sleep for the better. We don’t even feel each other get out of bed, which is great for working different shifts!” -Jason M.
- “Really impressed by how comfortable and cool the mattress is. My friend laid on it and instantly said she wants one. I would recommend it to anyone without hesitation.” -Kevin W.
- “My husband and I love our new GhostBed Luxe mattress. It is keeping us very cool in the hot summer heat. The mattress is really comfortable, sleeping on my side or back. Just perfect.” -James Z.
- “Best sleep I’ve ever had! So glad I made the switch to Ghostbed.” – Michael L.
Should You Buy/Not Buy the GhostBed Luxe Mattress?
The GhostBed Luxe mattress is an excellent bed. Its high-quality construction earns it its luxury mattress status, and it has a feel unlike other all-foam beds. But there is no one mattress that’s perfect for every sleeper. Let’s take a look at who should consider the Luxe, and who would be better looking elsewhere.
Who Should Consider the GhostBed Luxe
The GhostBed Luxe is a medium-firm mattress that’s cool, responsive, and offers extraordinary spinal support. Unlike most memory foam mattresses, you’ll feel more like you’re sleeping “on” the Luxe rather than “in” it.
After testing the GhostBed Luxe, we agree that it’s one of the coolest mattresses you can buy—especially if you want an all-foam mattress. It’s best for those who like the pressure relieving effects of memory foam, but would rather not feel like they’re deeply cradled by a mattress.
Couples who share the bed and sleepers who toss and turn will appreciate how easy it is to move around on the Luxe. And with incredible spinal alignment properties, elderly folks and those with back pain may find some relief with the GhostBed Luxe.
As for sleeping positions, back and side sleepers do best on a medium-firm bed.
Who Should Look Elsewhere
The GhostBed Luxe performed well across the board when it comes to performance and functional tests, but there are still people who would be better suited by other mattresses. Here’s a list of those who we recommend look for a different mattress.
- Heavy people: If you weigh more than 230 pounds, you may feel like your hips sink in too far. This is typical with all-foam beds as they don’t offer the same support as mattresses with innerspring coils, such as hybrid beds. Check out our top picks for the best mattresses for heavy people.
- Stomach sleepers: Stomach sleepers maintain the best body alignment when they sleep on a firmer mattress. Here’s a list of the best beds for stomach sleepers.
How Does GhostBed Luxe Compare to Other Mattresses
The GhostBed Luxe mattress is one of the coolest beds we’ve ever tested. And whole other GhostBed mattresses are cool, this one uses almost all seven layers to keep you cool: the two fabric cooling layers are cool to the touch and breathable, two gel memory foam layers add even more cooling properties, phase change material keeps body heat to a minimum, and the latex layer is naturally cooling.
What other mattresses are that committed to keeping you cool?
Can I try the GhostBed Luxe at a store?
No, GhostBed is not sold in brick-and-mortar retail locations. By selling directly to you, the consumer, they are able to provide a luxury mattress at a competitive price.
Do I need to flip my GhostBed mattress?
No, you should not flip the GhostBed Luxe. It’s a 1-sided mattress. You can, however, rotate the mattress 180 degrees every 6 months for enhanced longevity.
Are GhostBed mattresses made in the USA?
Yes, GhostBed mattresses are manufactured in the United States.
By clicking on the product links in this article, Mattress Advisor may receive a commission fee at no cost to you, the reader. Read full disclosure statement.