Haven Premier Mattress Review
By clicking on the product links in this article, Mattress Advisor may receive a commission fee at no cost to you, the reader. Read full disclosure statement.
Editor’s Note: Haven Premier is no longer available on Mattress Advisor. For a comparable mattress, we suggest Puffy.Mattress. See our Puffy Mattress Review for more details.
The bottom line: The Haven Premier mattress is a medium-firm bed made with gel memory foam layers. It works well for people who sleep on their back that those looking for a mattress under $1,000. You even get to try it out for 18 months before making a full commitment.
Who Is the Haven Premier Mattress Best for?
|Haven Premier is best for:||Haven Premier may not be best for:|
Haven is an online mattress company that aims to make the kind of mattress you sleep on in a five-star hotel. Currently, they offer two mattress models, plus other quality products. Today, we’re focusing on the Haven Premier mattress, which we’ve heard is supportive, cozy, and well worth the value. Stay tuned for our performance test scores, pros and cons, and sleeper recommendations.
Related: Best Mattresses Under $1,000
- Lifetime Warranty: You never have to worry about manufacturing defects as long as you own the mattress.
- Cooling Features: The Haven Premier is chalked full of cooling tech, from gel in the comfort layer to an aerated transition layer and breathable mattress cover.
- Made in the USA: Haven mattresses are made to order in the United States (specifically South Carolina).
- Affordable Prices: Haven utilizes a direct-to-consumer sales model that saves you lots of money on your new bed.
We brought the Haven mattress to our in-house lab to test its performance in 14 key areas of both sleep experience and shopping experience. To learn more about how we do this, check out Our Review Process.
|Mattress Advisor Test||Score (Out of 10)|
⭐Total Score for the Haven Premier Mattress: 8.0/10⭐
High and Low Points
- Spinal Alignment: Haven provides good alignment to side sleepers, keeping away back aches and twinges.
- Trial Period: Haven offers one of the most generous sleep trial lengths we’ve ever encountered: you get 18 months—aka 546 nights, 4,376 hours, a year and a half—to test out the Haven Premier mattress in your own home.
- Pressure Relief: The Haven mattress provided average pressure relief all around, especially for stomach and back sleepers. Side sleepers did not fare as well with red spots on both the hips and shoulders.
- Cooling: Because the Haven mattress is made entirely of foam (known to trap heat), it doesn’t sleep as cool as innerspring and latex mattresses.
- Durability: Haven took awhile to puff up to its full shape and has poor edge support: both are signs of a shorter mattress life.
Sitting and hanging out on your mattress is just as crucial as sleeping to some people and a mattress’s edge support is what makes that possible. We simulated two real life scenarios to test the Haven Premier’s edge support: sitting at the edge of the bed and lying near the edge.
In the shoe test, you can see that I’m practically sitting on the frame as I tie my shoes. I felt as if I was slipping off. When I lay near the edge, I also sank deep enough to feel as if I was slipping, not supported.
Calling all co-sleepers, couples, and pet snugglers: motion isolation is a crucial test to pay attention to if your sleep partner’s movements continue to keep you awake. We test this using both people and wine.
We start by having one sleep tester get in the mattress, change positions, and get out of the mattress while the other lies there wearing a sleep mask and feeling how much motion is transferred. We then took turns and gave it a score out of 10; we gave it a 9/10, meaning we could barely feel the other’s movements.
Up next, we replaced a sleep tester with a glass of red wine. The wine test wasn’t as good as the human test, but still came out with an impressive 8 out of 10. Averaged together, Haven scored a 8.5/10 for motion transfer.
If you go to sleep in one position and wake up in another, you are most likely a combination sleeper, meaning a mattress’s responsiveness is an important factor. Responsiveness refers to how easy it is to move on a mattress’s surface and how quickly you can get comfortable.
As we moved around on the Haven Premier, we found it easy to get comfortable, but difficult to change positions due to the mattress’s dough-y feel.
Firmness and Feel
The Haven Premier has a medium-firm to firm feel. Haven classifies it as 5.5–7/10 on the firmness scale, and we think it sits closer to medium than firm (5/10). With that said, mattress firmness is fairly subjective. Heavier folks tend to find mattresses softer than advertised, while petite sleepers don’t weigh enough to get the full cushioning effect of some mattresses.
The Haven Premier felt like sitting in Play-Doh and didn’t respond very quickly.
Best-Suited Sleeping Positions
This Haven mattress works best for back sleepers. The foam contours to the spine and relieves pressure. It could work as a mattress for lightweight stomach sleepers as well; the heavier you are, the deeper you’ll sink pushing your spine out of alignment.
However, side sleepers and combination sleepers may want to keep looking. Side sleepers may not get the pressure relief they need, and combination sleepers could have a hard time moving around. Read our recommendations on the best side sleeper mattresses and best combination sleeper mattresses for better options.
Haven offers decent temperature regulation using a few different mattress materials. The cover is cool to the touch and stays that way even as you lie there. The top layer uses heat-absorbing gel, and the second layer utilizes open-cell foam for breathability. However, due to the foam layers, it won’t sleep as cool as a latex or spring mattress.
Is There a Weight Limit?
Haven doesn’t set a weight limit on their Premier mattress, but they don’t recommend putting more than 1,000lbs of combined body weight on the mattress surface.
What Should You Set Your Mattress on?
The Haven Premier can be stored on pretty much any flat, solid surface. That includes platform beds, adjustable bases, slatted beds, and even sturdy box springs.
A Peek at the Layers
We investigated the Haven Premier’s five layer construction in person at our sleep lab. Here’s what we found:
- Mattress Cover: The whole mattress is wrapped in a soft, quilted 450GSM cotton fabric that regulates your body temperature. Bonus: it’s also removable and machine washable.
- Fire Barrier: The bulk of the mattress is protected by a thin layer of fire-resistant organic cotton cloth.
- Top Layer: The comfort layer is Haven’s proprietary foam blend, TrueCloud Cooling Foam, that’s infused with heat-absorbing gel. This foam is springy and contouring, which keeps stress off of your pressure points and improves motion isolation.
- Transition Layer: The second layer of foam is perforated with small channels that encourage airflow throughout the mattress.
- Support Layer: A layer of durable, high-density foam sits at the base of the mattress. It helps you maintain spinal alignment by supporting your lower back.
Haven Premier Mattress Sizes, Dimensions, and Pricing
|Twin||39” x 75” x 12”||65lbs||$649|
|Twin XL||39” x 80” x 12”||70lbs||$699|
|Full||54” x 75” x 12”||85lbs||$849|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 12”||100lbs||$949|
|King||76” x 80” x 12”||130lbs||$1,149|
|Cal King||72” x 84” x 14||135lbs||$1,149|
*Prices do not reflect exclusive offers or discounts. Click below to see the best price for the Haven Premier mattress.
Setting up Haven
Your Haven Premier mattress will arrive in a box you can easily carry to the room of your choice. It took us just under two minutes to completely unbox and set up the Haven mattress. It was relatively light, easy to unroll, and exhibited little to no off-gassing, which is surprising for an all-foam mattress.
Here’s a breakdown of all the purchasing info you’ll want on hand when ordering a Haven mattress.
|Delivery||Free shipping, bed-in-a-box delivery|
|Trial Period||18 months|
|Return Policy||Free returns|
|Financing||Synchrony Home Credit Card, Katapult|
Shipping and Delivery
Haven customers get free shipping via UPS Ground. Since your mattress will be handmade to order, it’ll take two to six days to be ready to ship and another two to four days to be delivered. You’ll receive an email with your tracking number and a call from Haven’s shipping partner to schedule your delivery.
Haven doesn’t currently offer white glove delivery, but you can arrange for your old mattress to be picked up for $125.
Pro tip: Order on a Monday or Tuesday for faster delivery. Orders placed on Wednesday and Thursday will take longer to ship, since the factory is closed on Friday.
Once your new mattress arrives, you get what feels like forever to test it out. Seriously, will you even remember you can return your mattress after 18 months? Because that’s the length of Haven’s sleep trial.
We recommend giving the Haven Premier at least 30 nights before deciding whether or not it’s the best mattress for you. Adjusting to a new sleep surface can take a few weeks, and we wouldn’t want you to go to the trouble of initiating a return if your body only needed a few more days.
Haven protects the Premier mattress with a Warranty Without End™. Basically, your mattress is covered under warranty as long as you own it, if you bought it directly from Haven.
The warranty covers body impressions deeper than one inch, splits or cracks in the foam, and mattress cover defects (i.e. broken zippers, unraveled seams). If you notice any of these defects, you may be eligible for a free repair or replacement mattress.
Send the Haven customer care team an email at email@example.com. Be sure to include your proof of purchase and a description/photo of the defect. If your claim is approved, you’ll receive mattress repairs or a replacement mattress within 30 days.
Haven Customer Service
The customer service team at Haven is available seven days a week from 8 a.m.–11 p.m. EST. You can chat with them on their website, over email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or over the phone at (833) 428-3623. We’re happy to report that our experiences with the Haven customer care team were professional, friendly, and informative.
Haven makes a high quality mattress, but if you decide it’s not a good fit, you can get a full refund after day 30 of the sleep trial. Simply email email@example.com, and they’ll arrange for the mattress to be picked up.
Your refund will be issued as soon as the mattress is picked up or donated to charity. You’ll need to send Haven either the donation slip or email receipt from pick up. The whole refund process usually takes between two to three days.
Should You Buy the Haven Premier?
Let’s recap what we covered in this review to help you decide if the Haven Premier is the mattress you want delivered to your door.
The Haven Premier is a cooling all-foam mattress with a medium, plush feel. It works best for back sleepers, people who sleep with another person, and shoppers looking for a good value. Even if you’re not sure, you have a year and a half to make a final decision thanks to their 18-month sleep trial, and you get a lifetime warranty on top of that.
If you are a side or combination sleeper, we don’t think you’ll gel with this mattress. Try out the Casper mattress instead.
Compare Haven Premier
You’ve seen how the Haven Premier performed in our review process, but how does it compare to the other mattresses on the market? Generally, it has a more conforming feel than traditional innerspring and hybrid mattresses. It’s also reasonably priced for an all-foam bed. Here are a few other close comparisons:
- The Zinus Cooling Gel Memory Foam mattress is another budget-savvy choice. It’s cheaper than the Haven Premier, and constructed with four foam layers that are pressure relieving and cooling. Zinus customers get a 100-night sleep trial and 10-year warranty.
- The Tuft & Needle Mint mattress is made with three layers of proprietary polyfoam that are responsive and cooling. The Mint has very similar pricing to the Haven Premier, though it comes with only a 100-night sleep trial and 10 year warranty.
- The Haven Boutique mattress is the luxury version of the Haven Premier. It’s constructed with seven layers (vs five layers), including an extra two inches of comfort foam. The Boutique has the same sleep trial and warranty as the Premier, but it costs $200–$450 more.
What is cotton GSM?
You may have noticed that we included “450GSM” in our mattress cover description. GSM stands for Grams per Square Meter, and it measures the thickness and comfort of a fabric. A higher GSM rating indicates better quality and a cozier feel. Haven says that their 450GSM cotton is 50 points higher than other mattresses on the market.
Can I return or cancel only part of my order?
You sure can! Haven will deduct the value of the items you are keeping from your refund amount. You’ll be charged an extra 20% deduction for items you keep that were part of a bundle or promotion.
Does Haven have any showrooms where I can test out the mattress before buying?
Haven mattresses are only available online. Haven thinks that their incredibly long at-home trial period is better than five minutes on a mattress in an echoey box store (we agree).