Helix Dawn Mattress Review
Helix Dawn Mattress Review
✔️Last updated: December 2023
|✔️Customer Rating: 4.5/5|
|✔️Mattress Advisor Score: 8.7/10|
|✔️Free Shipping & Returns|
|✔️100-Night Sleep Trial|
|✔️10-Year Limited Warranty|
Get 20% off Sitewide + Free Pillows
The Helix Dawn is an affordable mattress that is perfect for back and stomach sleepers who are after a firm sleeping experience. The Helix 100-night trial and 10-year warranty will ensure that you rest easy and without fear of risk.
Who Is the Helix Dawn Best For?
|Helix Dawn is best for:||Helix Dawn may not be best for:|
Helix is a bed-in–a-box mattress company that crafts a wide variety of hybrid mattresses to suit every body shape, sleeping position, and firmness preference. The Helix Dawn is the firmest mattress in their standard mattress line. It’s designed to provide the support and contouring needed by back and stomach sleepers who love a firm feel.
See how the Dawn performed when we put it to the test in the Mattress Advisor lab. You’ll learn who is and isn’t a good fit for the Dawn, how the Dawn compares to Helix’s other beds, its price point, and more. By the end of this review, you’ll know if the Dawn is the best mattress for you.
What We Like:
- High-density foam layers and innerspring coils provide the extra support needed by back sleepers, stomach sleepers, and plus-size people.
- Even though the Helix Dawn is incredibly firm, thick foam layers and pocketed coils combine to deliver just the right amount of cushioning for firm mattress lovers.
- Thanks to generous airflow through the coils and mattress cover, the Dawn is cool enough for hot sleepers.
- If you find the Dawn too firm, Helix will send you a complimentary mattress topper for more cushion at your pressure points.
We put the Helix Dawn through our multi-staged testing process, which you can learn more about here.
|Mattress Advisor Test||Score (Out of 10)|
⭐Total Score for the Helix Dawn Mattress: 8.7/10⭐
Pros and Cons
- Spine Alignment: If you sometimes find yourself waking up with back pain, then your mattress may not be keeping your spine aligned. Thankfully, the Helix Dawn does a great job of contouring to your back’s natural curve.
- Durability: The Helix Dawn is nice and sturdy, so you shouldn’t have to worry about unwanted sags developing too early in your mattress’s lifespan. But if problems do arise that appear to be manufacturing errors, the Dawn is covered by a 10-year warranty.
- Edge Support: As one of Helix’s firmer mattresses, the Dawn does a good job of providing excellent edge support.
- Made in the USA: Helix products are made in the United States. Check out our article on the benefits of buying a mattress made in the U.S. for more information.
- Firmness: Back and stomach sleepers should love the high firmness of the Dawn, but side sleepers like myself may find it to be a bit too dense; it really depends on your preference.
- Cooling: An 8/10 is an above average score for temperature regulation, but exceptionally hot sleepers may need something even more effective. Check out our article on the best cooling mattresses for hot sleepers for some recommendations.
- Shipping: Helix mattresses are constructed upon order, which we personally love. It means that the mattress you receive won’t have been sitting around in a warehouse collecting dust, but it also means that it may take a bit longer than usual to arrive.
We put our mattresses through two tests to assess motion transfer performance: the wine test and the human motion test. The human motion test has two of us lying side-by-side. One of us is blindfolded while the other tosses around and gets in and out of bed. In the wine test, we place a glass of vintage red on one side of the bed and roll around on the other.
The Helix Dawn performed well in both! We could barely feel each other moving around and, most importantly, the wine did not spill. Don’t believe us? Check out the video below.
The Helix Dawn provided great pressure relief when we were on our backs and stomachs, but one of our testers noticed some uncomfortable pressure in his shoulders and hips when he was on his side. Take a look at the pressure map below. Lots of blue and green is a good thing, red means there is too much pressure.
Some people like to roll right up to the edge of the bed while they sleep, maybe even dangle an arm over the side. It’s important that these daredevils feel that the edge won’t sag underneath their weight and potentially drop them over the side.
Being that this Dawn is quite firm, there was absolutely no sagging while we were lying on the edge of the bed. However, when we sat down to tie our shoes there was a slight sensation of slipping off.
How firm is the Helix Dawn mattress?
The Dawn is a firm mattress, with a firmness level that rates at an 8.5 on the 1-10 firmness scale. Although the bed is quite firm, there is a touch of cushion thanks to generous foam comfort layers. You can also request a complimentary mattress topper for additional cushioning if you prefer something a bit softer or consider one of Helix’s plusher mattresses, like the Helix Sunset.
What Sleeping Position Is It Best For?
Combination sleepers should find the Dawn’s responsiveness ideal for shifting positions easily throughout the night, while stomach and back sleepers, who often prefer something a bit firmer, should appreciate this mattress as well.
Unfortunately, side sleepers may find that the Dawn does not allow sensitive areas like shoulders and hips to sink far enough into the mattress. If you sleep on your side, consider one of our best mattresses for side sleepers, like the Brooklyn Bedding Titan.
How Good Is It on Cooling?
Because of its hybrid build, the Dawn does a good job of promoting airflow, which helps prevent the mattress from overheating. That said, very hot sleepers may find that some of their body heat gets trapped in the dense foam layers. Hot sleepers may do better with one of Helix’s luxe models, such as the Midnight Luxe, which includes a cooling Tencel cover.
What Body Types Does It Support?
The Dawn mattress can support people who weigh up to 500 lbs. Its high-density foams and durable coils provide an excellent bed for plus-size people and lighter people who love extra-firm mattresses.
What Foundations are Compatible?
The Dawn is best supported by a firm, durable base. The best options include adjustable bed frames, platform frames, and slatted bases. Helix recommends avoiding using the a box spring with any of their mattresses unless you use a bunkie board in between for added support.
Materials and Construction
The Dawn is a four-layer hybrid mattress that combines the pressure relief of a foam mattress and the responsive support of an innerspring bed. Let’s take a look at what’s inside.
- Soft Touch Cover: A stretchy, soft, and lightweight fabric supports breathability for a cool surface.
- Helix Dynamic Foam Top Layer: Helix Dynamic Foam was designed to provide the responsive feel and supportive contouring of latex with the pressure relief of foam.
- High-Grade Polyfoam Transition Layer: Firm polyurethane foam stops the body from sinking in, delivering exceptional lumbar support and firmness.
- Pocketed Coil Support Layer: Individually-encased coils support optimal spinal alignment.
- DuraDense Foam Base Layer: High-density polyfoam stabilizes the mattress, supports motion isolation, and adds durability.
Helix Dawn Sizes, Dimensions, and Costs
|Twin||38” x 75” x 12”||65 lbs||$799|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 12”||65 lbs||$899|
|Full||54” x 75” x 12”||85 lbs||$1,049|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 12”||100 lbs||$1,099|
|King||76” x 80” x 12”||120 lbs||$1,549|
|Cal King||72” x 84” x 12”||120 lbs||$1,549|
*Prices do not reflect exclusive offers or Helix discounts. Click below to see the best price for the Helix Dawn mattress.
Helix Dawn Unboxing
The Dawn took just under two minutes to unbox and setup, and the off-gassing odor was noticeable but not overwhelming.
Want to know what to expect when buying a new Helix mattress online? We’ll walk you through the process here.
|Delivery||Ships free and arrives within 5-15 business days|
|Trial Period||100-night sleep trial|
|Warranty||10-year limited warranty|
|Return Policy||Free returns during trial period|
|Financing||Available through Katapult or Klarna|
Helix Delivery Info
Helix mattresses are handmade in the United States. They don’t sit in a warehouse, but are instead made upon order. What this means is that the shipping time takes longer than your average online mattress. The normal shipping time is 5-15 business days*, and shipping is free.
*COVID-19 may impact your delivery date. Check on Helix’s website or contact their customer service for current estimated delivery times.
You have 100 nights from the day you receive your new Dawn mattress to test it out in the comfort of your home. After 30 days, you’ll qualify for a full refund if you find that the Helix Dawn isn’t the right mattress for you. Just be sure to get in touch with Helix before your 100 nights are up to get the refund process started.
If you love your new bed but wish it were just a touch softer, Helix offers a complimentary mattress topper to help you find the comfort you’re looking for.
The Helix Dawn mattress is backed by their 10-year limited warranty. This covers defects in materials or workmanship that aren’t expected from normal wear-and-tear. Contact Helix customer care to initiate a warranty claim.
Helix Customer Service
Helix is available to answer your questions from 10 am-6 pm EST, Monday to Friday. Here are the ways that you can reach out.
- Email: Fill out a form on Helix’s site to receive a response via email.
- Phone: Schedule a call time and have a Helix representative give you a call.
- Help chat: Visit helixsleep.com and click on the help chat button at the bottom right of the page for answers to frequently asked questions.
When we’ve contacted Helix, it’s taken a minimum of 3 days to receive a response, which is why we gave their customer service a 7.5/10. On their contact us page, Helix explains that they’ve been experiencing a high volume of sales and requests, leading to extended wait times. As a result, expect to wait a bit before your questions are answered.
Helix has a generous return policy, offering free returns and full refunds during their 100-night sleep trial. Contact Helix customer service to initiate a refund. Once your request is processed, Helix will have a local charity come to your door to pick up the mattress. After it’s been successfully donated, you can expect to see a refund.
Is the Helix Dawn Right for You?
That depends largely on what you are looking for, firmness-wise. As far as very firm mattresses go, you can’t do much better than the Helix Dawn. It tested great in spine alignment, motion transfer, and edge support, and at $1,199 for a queen size, it’s quite affordable.
If you are a side sleeper, or you simply want something a bit softer, then this probably isn’t going to be the right mattress for you. Check out our article on the best soft mattresses for some inspiration.
See How Dawn Compares
Helix Dawn vs Other Hybrid Mattresses
The Dawn is one of the firmest and most durable hybrid mattresses around. Its feel and longevity are thanks to the high-density foams utilized in the top comfort layers as well as the bottom support layer. It’s also more affordable than the average hybrid.
Helix Dawn vs Standard Helix Mattress Collection
The standard Helix mattress line contains 6 hybrid mattresses built with different types of sleepers in mind. Various types of memory foam and polyfoam are paired with pocketed coils in a way that supports sleepers no matter their sleeping position, weight, or firmness preference. Let’s take a look at how the Dawn compares to the other Helix mattresses.
- Dawn vs Sunset: The Helix Sunset is the softest bed in this mattress line and the Dawn the firmest. The Sunset’s incredible plushness and pressure relief is ideal for lightweight side sleepers and the Dawn’s firm feel for anyone who likes ultra-firm beds.
- Dawn vs Moonlight: The Helix Moonlight is a soft mattress designed for back and side sleepers and the Dawn a firm mattress also best for these sleep positions. The Moonlight’s plush feel is perfect for people who like a cloudlike feel and the Dawn’s firm feel is ideal for anyone who finds most beds too soft.
- Dawn vs Midnight: The Helix Midnight has a medium firmness with exceptional cushion, allowing you to sink into its comfort layers. The Dawn is a firm mattress that offers exceptional support.
- Dawn vs Dusk: The Helix Dusk and Dawn offer excellent contouring and support that’s created for stomach and back sleepers. However, the Dawn is firmer than the medium firmness Dusk. Go with the Dusk for a balanced feel between give and support and the Dawn for firm support.
- Dawn vs Twilight: The Helix Twilight has a similar firmness as the Dawn, but thanks to different comfort layer materials, the feel is different. The Twilight’s top layer is made from high-density memory foam for a firm yet marshmallow-y feel, while the Dawn utilizes high-density polyfoam for a more supportive feel. As such, the Twilight is better for heavy side sleepers and the Dawn for anyone who loves extra-firm mattresses.
Not sure which of these beds is the right fit for you? Take Helix’s sleep quiz on their website to find out.
Helix Dawn vs Helix LUXE Mattress Collection
The Dawn is one of 6 standard Helix mattress models. The Helix LUXE mattresses are simply the standard beds, but more luxurious. For instance, the Helix Dawn LUXE is also a firm mattress designed for back and stomach sleepers. Here’s what sets the LUXE models apart.
- Pillow top: Only the LUXE mattresses have a luxury pillow top that makes you feel like you’re sleeping in a 5-star resort.
- Cooling Tencel cover: Tencel is a natural fabric that’s incredibly breathable and moisture-wicking, better for hot sleepers.
- Additional comfort layer: An extra foam layer ensures even greater support and pressure relief.
- Zoned lumbar support: The innerspring coils of the LUXE mattresses are zoned, with softer coils at the shoulders and firmer coils along the body’s trunk. The result is superior body alignment and relief of aches and pains.
- Extra-sturdy edges: While all Helix mattresses have reinforced edges for comfort along the entire mattress surface, the LUXE mattresses have even sturdier edges.
Helix Dawn vs Helix Plus
The Helix Plus mattress had a medium feel and is designed specifically for heavy people. It’s incredibly durable and offers a balanced feel that’s preferred by the average sleeper. In comparison, the Dawn is much firmer and designed for firm mattress lovers of every body type.
Helix Dawn vs Birch by Helix
The Helix Birch is an eco-friendly medium-firm mattress. It’s made from cotton, wool, latex, and innerspring coils for a bed that’s supportive, contouring, responsive, and cool. The Dawn is firmer than the Birch and made with largely synthetic materials, such as memory foam and polyurethane foam. While the Dawn is more supportive, the Birch is cooler and better for side sleepers. Head over to our Birch mattress review for more information.
Helix Dawn vs Helix Kids
The Helix Kids is a dual-sided hybrid mattress designed specifically with kids in mind. It’s slightly more responsive than the Dawn, so that young sleepers can move around with ease. Helix Kids is also softer than the Helix Dawn.
Do I need to use a mattress protector with my new Helix mattress?
We recommend using a waterproof mattress protector with every mattress. It’s impossible to fully clean a mattress, and damage can void the sleep trial and warranty.
Why can’t I return my mattress until I’ve owned it for 30 days?
It takes time to get used to a new mattress. The foams inside can take a few weeks to reach their final feel, and the body also needs time to adjust to a new sleeping surface. This is why Helix, as well as most other bed-in–a-box mattress brands, require shoppers to keep their new bed for 30 days before initiating a return.
I have a latex allergy. Does the Dawn contain latex?
No, none of the standard Helix or Helix Luxe mattresses contain latex. They do have a layer of foam called the Helix Dynamic Foam that is engineered to offer some of the same benefits as latex, but this layer doesn’t actually contain latex.