Helix Dusk Mattress Review
Helix Dusk Mattress Review
✔️Last updated: January 2023
|✔️Customer Rating: 4.5/5|
|✔️Mattress Advisor Score: 8.8/10|
|✔️Free Shipping & Returns|
|✔️100-Night Sleep Trial|
|✔️10-Year Limited Warranty|
Get 20% Off Sitewide + 2 Free Dream Pillows
Our Impression: The Helix Dusk is a hybrid mattress with medium firmness, great for back and stomach sleepers, especially. Due to its ability to offer you great spinal alignment, the Dusk mattress is a good option for people who suffer from back pain.
Who Is the Helix Dusk Mattress Best for?
|Helix Dusk is best for:||Helix Dusk may not be best for:|
Helix is a mattress company that specializes in luxury hybrid mattresses, great for any sleep position and comfort preference. In this review, we’re going to explore the Helix Dusk. You’ll learn how it performed in our in-house testing, how it compares to Helix’s other mattresses, its pros and cons, and more to help you determine if it’s the best mattress for you.
What Stands Out About The Helix Dusk:
- The Dusk has a medium firmness level that’s preferred by the average sleeper. The feel falls between sleeping “on” and “in” the mattress surface.
- Helix’s Dynamic Foam combines the benefits of latex and foam for a responsive surface, excellent cushioning, and reliable support.
- You can try the Dusk mattress from the comfort of your home for 100 nights, completely risk-free.
- If you love the mattress but wish it were just a tad softer or firmer, Helix will send you a complimentary mattress topper.
We brought the Helix Dusk mattress into our lab and tested it against 14 different factors that are important to mattress shopping and your sleep experience. See how well this bed scored, and learn more about our review process.
|Mattress Advisor Test||Score (Out of 10)|
⭐Total Score for the Helix Dusk Mattress: 8.8/10⭐
Pros and Cons
- Motion Transfer: People who sleep with a partner and those who are easily woken need a bed with great motion isolation. In both our human and wine tests, we were impressed with how little motion was transferred across the mattress.
- Spinal Alignment: During our evaluation, our testers had a pretty straight back when laying on their side on the Helix Dusk, meaning this bed does a great job of keeping your spine aligned.
- Pressure Relief: We used a pressure map on both female and male testers to get a good idea of how much the Dusk mattress relieves pressure. It excelled when they lay on their backs and stomachs and was average for side sleepers.
- Durability: Helix constructs their mattresses with high-quality steel coils and foam, making sure the Dusk mattress will last as long as the lifespan guarantees.
- Customer Service: Unlike other mattress companies, Helix doesn’t use a live chat or share their phone number so it’s difficult to get in contact with them and can take a few days or even weeks.
- Off-Gassing: Like any mattress with foam, the Dusk off-gasses for a few hours after you open it. This smell is normal; just be sure to air it out before you put on sheets and other bedding.
Edge support in a mattress is one of the most underrated mattress factors to look for; you don’t notice it until it’s not there. In order to see if the Helix Dusk has supportive edges, we use two tests in our lab: the shoe test and the lying-down test.
One of the most common ways the edge of your mattress supports you is when you sit there to get ready in the morning or before bed. We mimic this in the lab to see the amount of support we get. The foam sank just below where we sat but the coils held up firm.
Next, we lie on the edge of the mattress to see the support level: it was just as comfortable as lying in the middle of the bed. We unzipped the cover so you can see exactly how far the foam allows you to sink. Very supportive!
The responsiveness of a mattress refers to both how easy it is to shift from one position to another and how quickly you can get comfortable in that new position.
When we tested this on the Helix Dusk, we noticed that it was pretty easy to shift positions thanks to the top layers of foam. This means it would be an excellent bed for combination sleepers.
If your mattress provides good spinal alignment, it means your body is holding the proper posture as you sleep: this is great for your back. Because good back alignment means the foam is contouring to the natural curve of the spine, we test this looking at our spines while lying on our stomachs and backs.
When lying on our stomachs, we noticed our hips sank in deep enough to recreate the natural curve of the spine.
When we switched to the side, we were even more impressed. From the top of our necks to the base of our spines we saw an almost perfectly straight line, indicating awesome alignment for side sleepers.
We test motion isolation with a human test and wine test. For the human test, one of our evaluators lays on the bed with their eyes close while another evaluator gets in the bed. A mattress with excellent motion isolation will make it difficult for the first evaluator to tell when their partner got in the bed beside them, which the Helix Dusk did well.
For the wine test, we place a glass of wine on the mattress and have a tester roll around. As you can see in the video below, the wine barely splashed around. This means that if you typically sleep with someone else, you don’t have to worry about their movement waking you up.
Sleep with a partner? Explore our top picks for the best mattresses for couples.
How Firm is the Helix Dusk?
The Helix Dusk has a medium feel that rates at a 5.5 on the 1–10 firmness scale. This is slightly softer than the industry standard of 6.5 for medium firm. The balance between give and support makes the Dusk ideal for the average sleeper.
Does It Support Your Sleep Position?
The Helix Dusk uses its great pressure relief and alignment and its true medium firmness to be a great mattress for all sleeping positions. This includes side sleepers, back sleepers, and stomach sleepers.
Combination sleepers who frequently change positions will enjoy how easy it is to get cozy in whatever positions they choose, so it’s also a great mattress for combination sleepers. Since the pressure relief for side sleepers wasn’t as good as other sleeping positions, you may want to find another mattress if that’s your preferred position.
How Does It Regulate Temperature?
The Dusk mattress uses airflow for temperature regulation throughout the mattress. First, we have a mattress cover that’s optimized for breathability. Then we have the pocketed coils through the mattress, which keeps air flowing.
However, this will not be the coolest mattress you’ll ever sleep on because of the thick foam layers over the coil system. Instead, consider the SleepOvation 700 Tiny Mattresses In One mattress, which uses unique cooling technology to promote airflow through chambers of multiple tiny foam squares.
What Is the Weight Limit?
The Helix Dusk supports people who weigh up to 500 lbs, making it excellent for most body types.
What Bed Frames Are Compatible?
The Dusk is best supported by firm and durable foundations, including slatted bases, adjustable frames, and platform beds. It’s not designed to be used with box springs, unless a bunkie board is added for additional support.
A Look Inside
The Dusk is a hybrid mattress made from three foam layers and responsive pocketed coils. Here’s what makes up each layer of the Dusk.
- Helix Soft Touch Cover: A mattress cover that facilitates airflow for a cool night’s sleep. You pick between a stretchy Soft Tech design cover or GlacioTex Cooling Cover for an additional fee.
- Helix Dynamic Foam: This layer consists of Helix’s propriety comfort layer foam, which is designed to pair the benefits of latex and foam. It delivers responsiveness, contours, and cushions.
- Memory Foam Plus: A proprietary memory foam transition layer with a medium feel for exceptional contouring, ergonomic support, and pressure relief.
- Pocketed Coils: A support layer made from hundred of individually encased coils offers extra support and cushion where you need it the most. It also has a reinforced perimeter for optimal edge support.
- DuraDense Foam: A base layer made from high-density polyfoam for optimal durability and motion isolation. It also provides base support for the entire mattress structure.
Helix Dusk Mattress Sizes, Dimensions, and Pricing
|Twin||38” x 75” x 12”||65 lbs||$799|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 12”||65 lbs||$899|
|Full||54” x 75” x 12”||85 lbs||$1,049|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 12”||100 lbs||$1,199|
|King||76” x 80” x 12”||120 lbs||$1,549|
|California King||72” x 84” x 12”||120 lbs||$1,549|
*Prices do not reflect exclusive offers or discounts. Click below to see the best price for the Dusk mattress and see our Helix mattress coupons.
Unboxing the Mattress
The Helix Dusk comes compressed in a tall box. It took us two minutes and 39 seconds to fully unbox and open the mattress. As you can see, we had some issues getting it out of the box—it was packed pretty tightly and it was very heavy.
The off-gassing smell was pretty average when compared to other hybrid mattresses; it went away in a couple of hours. Consider letting it air out without any sheets on to help the smell go away faster.
Is this your first time shopping for an online bed-in-a-box mattress? Here’s what you can expect when you buy your new mattress from Helix.
|Delivery||Ships free and arrives in 3-10 business days|
|Trial Period||100-night trial period|
|Warranty||10-year limited warranty|
|Return Policy||Free returns during trial period|
|Financing||Available through Klarna or Katapult|
Getting It Delivered
Helix Dusk mattresses are made to order in factories in the United States. The standard shipping time is 3-10 days from the day you place your order, and shipping is free.* You won’t need to be home to sign for the package but may want to enlist help carrying your mattress into your house since it can weigh over 100 lbs.
*Current shipping times vary due to COVID-19. Check on Helix’s website or contact their customer service to learn when to expect your new mattress.
Discover the Sleep Trial
The Helix Dusk mattress comes with an industry-standard, 100-night trial. The one caveat is that you must keep your mattress for at least 30 nights, which is considered the break-in period for a new bed. During this time, your body will adjust to the new materials. If you return your mattress between days 30 and 100, you’ll receive a full refund.
Explore Your Warranty
The Helix Dusk comes with a 10-year limited warranty, the most common mattress warranty. During this time, defects in materials or workmanship are covered. This includes things like indentations greater than 1″ and cracks in the foam. To submit a claim, reach out to Helix’s customer care team.
Helix Customer Service
Here’s how you can contact Helix’s customer service representatives.
- By phone when you schedule a call on their website.
- Via email when you submit an online form.
Helix has been much harder to get in touch with than most other mattress companies, leading us to give them a 7.5/10 for customer service. On their contact us page, they explain that they’re experiencing higher-than-normal requests, leading to delays in responses. Even when sending an email we had to wait a few days for a response via email.
Learn the Return Policy
No one wants to return a mattress, but if you find that your new bed isn’t what you’d hoped it would be, you should consider returning it. To return a Helix mattress, simply contact them during the trial period to initiate a return. They’ll help you find a local charity for mattress donation. Once the mattress has been donated, you’ll receive a full refund.
Hear what real-life customers have to say about the Helix Dusk mattress.
- “I love this mattress so much! Completely changed my sleep. It’s so cozy and supportive.” – Caitlin P.
- “I got the Helix Dusk for its mix of support and softness and as it was recommended using the quiz based on my sleeping positions. It’s impossible to get up in the morning it’s so comfortable. I’m finally rested and don’t wake up with neck and back pain anymore. It’s amazing!” – Jamie S.
- “Since getting this mattress I’ve definitely seen an improvement in my quality of sleep. The Helix Dusk is firm enough for back and stomach sleeping (although I was expecting it to be a bit firmer) but soft enough for side sleeping. Very comfortable and the best mattress I’ve had so far. I would definitely recommend this mattress.” – Nollye R.
Should You Buy the Helix Dusk Mattress?
In this section, we’ll review everything mentioned in this review, so you can decide whether the Helix Dusk is the mattress for you.
The Helix Dusk is a hybrid mattress designed to work best for back and stomach sleepers, but we found that it works for all sleeping positions. It has average cooling properties and relieves pressure well. When you buy this bed, you get industry-standard bonuses: a 100-night trial period and a 10-year warranty.
We Think You’ll Love It If…
- You sleep with a partner.
- You are a back pain sufferer.
- You need a bed with good edge support.
- You’re looking for a reasonably priced hybrid bed.
We Think You Should Look Elsewhere If…
- You’re looking for a memory foam bed.
- You sleep very hot.
- You’re a side sleeper wanting a bit more pressure relief.
Should you decide to look elsewhere, allow us to point you in the right direction. We recommend the GhostBed Luxe, which is a great cooling memory foam mattress. Helix also offers a variety of other mattresses designed to match different sleeping positions, like the Helix Sunset, which is best for side sleepers.
Helix Dusk Mattress Comparisons
Helix Dusk vs Other Hybrid Mattresses
The Helix Dusk hybrid is slightly softer than the average hybrid mattress without sacrificing support. The top layer of the Dusk is crafted from the proprietary Helix Dynamic foam, a material that has the pressure-relieving benefits of foam paired with the responsive feel and support of latex. Combined with the Dusk’s memory foam and innerspring layers and you have a mattress that marries cushion and support better than most hybrid beds.
The Helix Dusk vs Other Helix Mattresses
The Dusk vs the Standard Helix Mattress Collection
Helix’s line of original mattresses contains six hybrid models designed to support every type of sleeper, no matter your firmness preference, sleeping position, or body size. Here’s how the Dusk compares to the other five mattresses in this line.
- Dusk vs Sunset: The Helix Sunset is an ultra-plush hybrid made for side sleepers and the Dusk is a medium mattress best for back and stomach sleepers. The Sunset allows the body to sink in, while the Dusk falls between sleeping “on” and “in” the mattress. Read our full Helix Sunset mattress review.
- Dusk vs Moonlight: The Helix Moonlight and Dusk mattresses are both best for people who spend most of the night on their stomachs or backs, but their firmness levels are different. The Moonlight is soft and the Dusk medium, making the Moonlight best for people who like a plush feel and the Dusk better for anyone who prefers a balance between give and support. Read our full Helix Moonlight mattress review.
- Dusk vs Twilight: The Helix Twilight is a firm mattress with a memory foam top layer that cushions areas like the hips and shoulders. It’s one of the best beds for plus-size side sleepers. The Dusk is noticeably softer with a comfort layer that marries the responsiveness of latex with the cushion of foam. The Dusk’s balanced foam feel supports the average sleeper. Read our full Helix Twilight mattress review.
- Dusk vs Dawn: The Helix Dawn and Dusk beds both have the support and contouring that back and stomach sleepers need, but the Dusk’s medium firmness is softer than the Dawn’s firm feel. Go with the Dawn if you prefer to sleep “on” your mattress or the Dusk if you like the feeling of slightly sinking in. Read our full Helix Dawn mattress review.
Helix Dusk vs. Helix Midnight
|Criteria||Helix Dusk||Helix Midnight|
|Mattress Advisor Score||8.8/10||8.7/10|
|Firmness||Medium (5.5/10)||Firm (7/10)|
|Who’s It Best For?||
The Helix Midnight and Helix Dusk are the firmer side of hybrid mattress options. The Dusk definitely feels a bit softer than the Midnight, but surprisingly the Midnight is a better choice for side sleepers. The firmer Midnight mattress features a memory foam top layer, which means it offers better pressure relief than the Dusk. This makes it a good choice for side sleepers looking for cushioning at the shoulders and hips.
In another surprise twist, the softer Dusk mattress is actually a better fit for combination sleepers than the Midnight. That’s because the Dusk’s comfort layer features Helix’s Dynamic Foam, which is responsive and easy to move around on at night. The Dusk’s Dynamic Foam layer is also more cooling than the Midnight’s memory foam top layer, which means the Dusk is a better fit for hot sleepers.
Check out our full Helix Midnight mattress review.
Helix Dusk vs. Helix Midnight Luxe
|Criteria||Helix Dusk||Helix Midnight Luxe|
|Mattress Advisor Score||8.8/10||8.7/10|
|Firmness||Medium (5.5/10)||Medium (5/10)|
|Who’s It Best For?||
The Helix Midnight Luxe is from Helix’s luxury line, so it feels more high-end than the Dusk. The Midnight Luxe’s premium pillow top gives it a more cushioning feel, which makes it an ideal choice for side sleepers or those with joint pain. The Midnight Luxe’s pillow top is also made with cooling phase change materials, which means hot sleepers will prefer the Midnight Luxe.
But budget shoppers will definitely prefer the more affordable Dusk mattress. It still feels soft and cushioning, but does not have a luxury price tag. The Dusk is also a better fit for couples and combination sleepers. Its firmer surface is easier to move around and change positions on, but it doesn’t transfer much motion from one side of the bed to the other. That means you won’t feel disturbed when your partner is moving around at night.
Check out our full Helix Midnight Luxe mattress review..
The Dusk vs the Plus
The Helix Plus and Dusk mattresses each have a medium feel and hybrid design. The difference between the two is that the Plus is created specifically for heavier people. This means the materials used in the Plus are sturdier than the Dusk, and there’s even an added inch of cushion in the Plus.
The Dusk vs the Birch
The Birch is Helix’s eco-friendly mattress. It’s made from all-natural materials including cotton, wool, latex, and steel coils. Its medium-firm feel is slightly firmer than the Dusk, and its materials sleep cooler. However, the Dusk is less expensive. To learn more, check out our Birch mattress review.
The Dusk vs Helix Kids
The Helix Kids mattress is dual-side hybrid mattress that grows with your child. It has a slightly higher responsive score to allow young sleepers to change positions easily. Read our full Helix Kids mattress review.
Need some help deciding which of the Helix mattresses is best for you? Take Helix’s sleep quiz on their website and you’ll be paired with the mattress that’s built with your needs in mind.
Are Helix mattresses safe and eco-friendly?
Helix foams are CertiPUR-US certified, so they’re free from harmful chemicals including VOCs and heavy metals. However, the standard line of Helix mattresses isn’t particularly eco-friendly. For a mattress that’s even better for the environment, check out the all-natural Helix Birch mattress.
Are there any discounts for students or teachers with Helix?
Yes! Helix offers a 15% discounts for teachers, students, first responders, and members of the military. To get a discount code, sign into VerifyPass. Students can verify their student status with UNiDAYS.
I don’t have good credit. Can I still finance a new Helix mattress?
Helix partners with Katapult, a financing company that caters to shoppers with poor credit. As such, you’ll likely be able to finance your new bed.
How does the Helix Sleep Quiz work?
Helix has collaborated with some of the world’s leading sleep ergonomics, biomechanics, and researchers to create a mattress matching algorithm for their Sleep Quiz. The Sleep Quiz helps determine your needs and comfort preferences to find the best mattress for you. To take this quiz, go to Helix’s website.
Can I keep the sleep accessories that came with my mattress even if I return it?
Yep! Helix lets you keep any sleep accessories that come with their mattresses as part of their promotions even if you decide to return your bed. This will not impact your refund.
How long after I unbox my Helix Dusk Mattress until I can test it out?
Helix recommends waiting 30-45 minutes before testing your Dusk mattress out. This gives it enough time to expand fully.