Hybrid: foam combo with microcoils
Customizable: Varies based on selection
10-year limited warranty
Customizable hybrid mattress great for couples and all sleep styles
The Helix mattress is a bed that’s made just for you, literally.
With the Helix Color-MATCH system, you’ll be paired with one of nine new mattress models recently launched by Helix. All you have to do is complete the Helix Sleeping Quiz, which asks you to answer questions about your sleeping style, body type and comfort preferences. With this data, Helix will determine which of their mattresses matches your firmness, support and pressure relief needs.
Take a closer look at each of the nine mattress models:
Made with Helix Memory Plus Foam
Memory Plus foam is great for side sleepers. It provides balanced support which is just enough to keep your spine aligned without feeling too stiff. Too much support for side sleepers can cause discomfort.
*Helix’s most popular option for the average sleeper.
Made with Helix Dynamic Foam
Helix Dynamic Foam provides extra support, making these mattresses a particularly good choice for back and stomach sleepers. Although, side sleepers are welcome!
Helix Specialty Mattresses*
- Helix Nightfall: Speciality mattress for plus-size sleepers
- Helix Dual-Balanced: Made with memory plus foam to provide balanced support
- Helix Dual-Extra: Made with Helix Dynamic Foam to provide extra support
*Helix specialty mattresses start at $1,190 for queen.
Mattress Advisor score for the Helix
Here’s how the Helix mattress scored on different tests and evaluations. Each score is a rating out of 10 points. The total score is a weighted average that incorporates all of the functional and performance characteristics of the mattress. We break down the scores so you can see how the Helix mattress performed on specific tests and evaluations.
8.9 / 10
Helix mattress review
Take a look at our Helix* mattress review and see how it performed in our testing to help you determine if this could be the mattress for you.
*Note: In this review, we tested the Helix Midnight.
Set up test
The Helix mattress took us just over a minute and a half to set up. Although there was lots of plastic, it was very easy to unwrap. The mattress wasn’t too smelly, but it did take about an hour for it to take it’s full shape.
So for our setup test, the Helix gets an 8 out of 10.
Motion Transfer Test
Motion transfer is just a fancy way of saying how much movement you feel if your partner is moving around. You want this to be pretty minimal for a peaceful night of sleep.
Part A - The Humans
The Mattress Advisor motion transfer test is divided into two parts. We begin by asking our sleep subjects to lie on the bed, blindfolded, and rate on a scale of one to ten how much movement they felt when their partner was moving around with 10 being no movement at all.
The Helix did a great job minimizing motion! Our mattress testers gave it a score of 8.75.
Part B - The Wine
Next, comes our wine test. This is great visual indicator of how much motion is being transferred from one side of the bed to another.
We had our sleep subject lie down and roll back and forth a few times. We then took a look at how much the wine inside of the glass moved. Take a look for yourself.
The Helix kept that glass of wine shockingly still. It scored a 9.25!
So for a total motion transfer score, we gave Helix a 9 out of 10.
Edge Support Test
When choosing a mattress, you may not think to consider how much support the edge provides. But if you find yourself sleeping on the edge of your bed or use the end to get ready in the morning, you should definitely consider the edge support.
The Mattress Advisor edge support test is a two-part test.
Part A - The Shoe Test
To start, we asked our sleep subjects to sit on the edge of the bed to tie their shoes. They rated this task on a scale from one to ten, with 10 being “extremely easy, with exceptional edge support.”
While on the edge of the Helix, our mattress testers noted they could feel “bounce-back” from the mattress that kept them cradled on the edge. So it scored an 8.5 for the edge shoe test.
Part B - The Side Test
Next, we had them lie on the edge of the bed in each sleeping position, side, stomach and back, to see if they could sleep comfortably in that section of the bed.
Once again, the felt secure on the edge of the Helix. So for the edge support side, Helix scored a 9.5.
So Helix gets a 9 out of 10 for edge support.
Pressure Relief Test
When shopping for a mattress, you’ll want to find something that puts minimal pressure on your hips, thighs and shoulders. Let’s take a look at how well the Helix provides pressure relief.
We measure pressure relief by using a pressure mapping film that shows areas of high pressure. Here’s what you need to know: the cool spots are good and the warms spots are bad. The warmer the color, the more pressure is being placed on that area of the body.
Our first sleep subject had no trace of pressure while on the Helix!
However, we saw some red in the shoulders and hips of our second sleep subject while testing pressure relief on the Helix.
So Helix scores an 8 out of 10 for pressure relief.
Spine Alignment Test
Did you know your sleeping posture is just as important as your posture when you are awake? For every mattress we test, we take a look at how well it keeps your spine in a straight line.
We took a close up of our sleep subject’s backs to see the alignment. You’ll want to see a straight line from the neck all the way to the tailbone.
Both spines were pretty straight with only a slight curve towards the base of the neck.
So for spine alignment, the Helix scores an 8.25 out of 10.
When it comes to getting comfortable on your mattress, responsiveness becomes very important. Responsiveness is just a fancy way of saying how well the mattress adjusts or responds to your sleeping positions while you sleep.
We had our sleep subjects lie in each sleeping position, side, stomach and back. As they changed positions and got settled in, we asked them to rate on a scale from one to ten how quickly and easily the mattress responded to their movement.
Both felt the Helix did a pretty good job of responding to their adjustments.
It scored an 8.75 out of 10 for responsiveness.
The total Mattress Advisor score for the Helix mattress:
The best foundations to use with your Helix mattress include a bunkie board with a box spring or any support system with firm, flat and thick slats. If you decide to use a slatted foundation, slats should be no wider than 5 inches apart – anything longer may cause sagging and could potentially void your warranty.
What makes Helix different from other mattresses?
- Helix is the perfect solution for couples. If you’re sharing your bed with a sleeping partner, you have the option to choose a dual comfort mattress (which personalizes each side of the bed based on test results).
- Are you a hot sleeper? If so, you can upgrade the outer cover of your Helix mattress to the Ultra-Cool knit cover to keep you from waking up in those midnight sweats.
Want to see how Helix compares to other mattresses?
What to watch out for
Note that there may be a slight odor when you first unbox your Helix mattress. This is normal and should dissipate within a few hours.
Helix sizes available
- Twin: $600
- Twin XL: $700
- Full: $850
- Queen: $995
- King: $1245
- Cal King: $1245
A look inside
Each of the nine new mattress models has the same base construction.
The difference lies in the second layer, or the comfort layer, with the exception of the specialty mattresses. Depending on the model, this layer will be made with either Helix Memory Plus Foam or Helix Dynamic Foam.
Memory Plus foam provides proper support and pressure relief for side sleepers without being too stiff, while Dynamic foam provides extra support and lends itself to being a good option for back and stomach sleepers.
Here is a look inside the Helix Midnight, the most popular of the new models.
- Helix Two-Layer Cover: The Helix Midnight is topped with a dual-layer cover that can be zipped off. The stretchable top layer is soft to the touch, while the lower layer promotes airflow and breathability.
- 2’’ Memory Foam Comfort Layer: Directly below the mattress cover is the comfort layer made of Memory Plus Foam – a special foam blend by Helix. This layer is designed to provide pressure relief in areas such as the hips and shoulders making this mattress great fro side sleepers. (Remember this is the layer that differs depending on the model!)
- 1’’ High-grade Polyfoam Transition Layer: Next you’ll find the transition layer made of high-grade polyfoam designed to provide ergonomic support and cushion.
- 6’’ Pocket-coil Body Shape Layer: This layer is made of 660* individually wrapped pocket-coils to help cradle your body and limit motion transfer. The outer coils reinforce the perimeter of the mattress to provide edge support.
- 1’’ DuraDense Foam Base Layer: The bottom layer of the Midnight mattress is made of dense memory foam that provides overall durability and support.
Interested in a specialty mattress? Check out our review of the Helix Nightfall.
What Helix customers have to say
Helix mattress reviews from couples:
- “We LOVE our Helix mattress! My husband prefers for his to be more firm and I like it a bit softer and that was always tricky for us. Now, no problem at all! We sleep like babies.” – Viktoriya K.
- “The support is perfect for both of us. My back feels so much better in the morning, and I no longer wake up due to my girlfriends constant tossing and turning. Best money I’ve spent in years.” – Ian
- “My wife and I have thoroughly enjoyed our new King Helix Mattress. From day one we could not get over how comfortable it is. We were a little skeptical at first, given that we’ve only ever slept on a (pillow top) spring mattress and that the memory foam would be too restrictive. Boy we’re we ever wrong. Not only is the combination of the memory foam and inner springs super comfortable, but the bed stays cool, offers the perfect amount of bounce and never feels like we’re trapped in the memory foam. We literally can’t wait to get to bed every night and we miss it when we travel. My only small complaint would be the edge support. Since we’re in a king, I never feel that we’re about to fall off, but I would say that the mattress is extra “squishy” around the edges.” – Stewart S.
Helix mattress reviews from customers with back and joint pain:
- “Their product is the best I’ve ever experienced and I have previously bought a number of very expensive and unsuccessful products in trying to solve my mattress and sleep problems. Their mattress solved a very painful hip contact problem on a top-rated memory foam mattress, that caused me to constantly awaken and rotate from side to side all night, because of the severe hip pain. Problem now solved.”
- “Great mattress! Been using it for a couple months now and has been sooo comfortable. I don’t have pain anymore and wake up more rested. I am a side sleeper with broad hips and shoulders and customizing it to me really helped relieve the pressure.” – Jessica R.
- “I used to wake up with all sorts of aches & pains, and this mattress virtually eliminates those discomforts caused by impersonally-crafted mattresses. The cost isn’t cheap but you’re investing in your health, literally. And, it’s American made. It’s great to see & invest in American ingenuity once again. They do sell bed sheets but I don’t recommend them. I have a queen mattress, so I ordered queen sheets; however, the sheets turned out to be WAY to big, almost king size and bunched up overnight as I slept, making it very uncomfortable despite the great mattress.” – Donald K.
Helix mattress reviews on comfort:
- “I got the Helix after trying out a competitor’s mattress. This is the best mattress that I have slept on. Great support, cool sleeping temp, and very comfortable. I would recommend this mattress to anyone looking for the complete package.” – Bill B.
- “I was skeptical of ordering a mattress online without trying it first. But I went ahead with the purchase because of Helix’s risk free trial period. This is by far the nicest mattress I have ever slept on, and I had a Tempur-Pedic for the last 5 years. I’m a side sleeper and I have never been so comfortable sleeping on my side. Highly recommended!” – (Google Reviewer)
Read more reviews here.
If you’d like to hear from a real couple after sleeping on the Helix mattress for one month, check out our In Real Life review below.
The finer print
The Helix mattress ships free in the U.S. and usually takes 3-7 business days.
Once your Helix arrives, simply remove the mattress from the box and set it on your foundation while it’s still encased in plastic. Then, remove the mattress from its plastic wrapping, give it 45 minutes to an hour to regain its shape.
If you are unhappy with your Helix mattress within the first 100 days, you can return it for a full refund. Helix will make every effort to donate lightly used mattresses to charities and housing facilities.
The Helix comes with a 10-year limited warranty.
The cover of each Helix mattress is removable and machine washable. All you have to do is unzip the cover and throw in the washing machine.
- Made in the USA.
- The foam layers in the Helix mattress are CertiPUR-US® certified.
- If you feel like your Helix mattress is too soft or too firm after the 30-day break-in period, Helix will provide a complimentary soft or firm topper that you can add overtop of your mattress during your 100-night trial. This doesn’t void the trial in any way, and you can still process a return/refund if you continue having issues.
- Helix offers a referral program for spreading the word about their mattress: for every friend you refer who ends up buying the mattress, your friend will get a $50 discount on their purchase and you’ll get a $50 Amazon gift card. You can learn more about the program here.
Frequently Asked Questions
How does the helix color-match system work?
Helix, with the help of some of the world’s leading researchers on sleep ergonomics (aka the study of the correct anatomical sleeping posture) and biomechanics (or the study of structure and function of the product), has developed a mattress matching algorithm to pair you with the best mattress for your body type and sleeping style.
Using their informative Sleep Quiz, Helix combines your biological needs for pressure relief and support with your comfort preferences to recommend the perfect mattress model for you!
How does the 100-night sleep trial work?
From the day your Helix mattress is delivered, you will have 100 nights to decide if the mattress is right for you. If you decide to return your Helix, you’ll simply contact the customer support team within your trial period window and they will walk you through the return process. A representative will arrange for your mattress to be picked up from your home and donated to a local charity in need. You won’t need to put the mattress back in the box it came in.
DO I NEED TO be home to receive my MATTRESS?
All Helix packages are sent via UPS Ground. There is no need for a signature. However, UPS reserves the right to obtain a signature if they believe they can’t deliver your package safely.
DO I NEED TO FLIP THE HELIX MATTRESS?
It is not recommended that you flip your Helix mattress, as your personalized construction is built on top of a supportive base layer. The blue fabric should always be the bottom part of the mattress, with the white fabric should be on top. The order of the layers in your Helix Mattress is critical to maintaining the integrity of your individual design.
DOES THE HELIX MATTRESS HAVE A BREAK-IN PERIOD?
It does – in fact, all mattresses do! It can take up to 30 days to fully break in your new mattress. During this time, your body will get used to the new mattress feel and the mattress will have time to fully take shape and provide all the benefits it was designed to offer.
HOW MUCH WEIGHT CAN THE HELIX MATTRESS SUPPORT?
The Helix mattress can support up to 500 lbs of combined weight, and up to 350lbs for individual sleepers.
CAN I FINANCE MY HELIX MATTRESS?
You can finance your Helix through Klarna. To take advantage of financing options, select “Pay With Klarna” at checkout, follow the prompts, and enter some basic information for an instant loan decision. You can get approved for a rate as low as 0% APR.
If you decide to finance your mattress, you will not be able to apply discount codes or promotions to your order.
*Klarna loans are not currently available for residents of West Virginia and New Hampshire
HOW LONG CAN I KEEP MY HELIX MATTRESS IN THE BOX?
You should make sure that you unbox your Helix within two weeks of receiving your package. Spending too much time in the packaging can affect the resilience of the mattress, preventing it from taking its full shape.
Other products sold by Helix
If you have more questions about the Helix mattress, check out their FAQ page or leave us a comment below.
Customer rating is derived from Google Reviews on the Helix mattress.
By clicking on the product links in this article, Mattress Advisor may receive a commission fee at no cost to you, the reader. Read full disclosure statement.