Hybrid: foam combo with microcoils
Customizable based on personal preference
10-year limited warranty
A hybrid mattress that is custom built for the people sleeping on it
- The Helix mattress is a bed that’s made just for you. It factors in the size and sleeping preference of the people who will be sleeping on it to determine things like firmness, support and pressure point relief.
- The mattress is built based on the results of a simple quiz that both you and your sleeping partner can complete in just a few minutes.
- If you’re sharing the Helix with a sleeping partner, you will have the option to build a blended mattress (which combines both test results across the entire mattress) or dual comfort (which personalizes each side of the bed based on test results). If you opt for the dual comfort option, be aware that this will add $150 to your total, along with an extra 2-3 days in shipping time.
Mattress Advisor score for the Helix
Here’s how the Helix mattress scored on different tests and evaluations. Each score is a rating out of 10 points. The total score is a weighted average that incorporates all of the functional and performance characteristics of the mattress. We break down the scores so you can see how the Helix mattress performed on specific tests and evaluations.
8.8 / 10
Helix mattress review
Take a look at our Helix mattress review and see how it performed in our testing to help you determine if this could be the mattress for you.
The best foundations to use with your Helix mattress include a bunkie board with a box spring or any support system with firm, flat and thick slats. If you decide to use a slatted foundation, slats should be no wider than 5 inches apart – anything longer may cause sagging and could potentially void your warranty.
What makes Helix different from other mattresses?
Helix is different because it’s a mattress that’s designed based on your personal preferences and body build. Using your Sleep Quiz results, Helix designs your mattress that’s going to best suit you and/or your sleeping partner by varying the density levels and order of the layers inside your Helix Mattress. This results in the best firmness, support, temperature regulation, and responsiveness based on the things you need to get a good night’s sleep.
Helix customers have reported a 36% improvement in reported sleep quality after switching to a customized bed.
What to watch out for
- Note that there may be a slight odor when you first unbox your Helix mattress. This is normal and should dissipate within a few hours.
Helix sizes available
- Twin: $600
- Twin XL: $700
- Full: $850
- Queen: $995
- King: $1195
- Cal King: $1195
A look inside
While the Helix is customizable to meet your personal preference, there are three consistent materials used to craft this mattress:
- Helix dynamic foam – hybrid of memory foam and latex which offers great body contouring and cooling properties
- Pocketed microcoils – hundreds of miniature coils to help with weight distribution and pressure relief (These are packaged differently than innerspring coils so motion transfer is still reduced)
- Dense polyfoam – strong and durable base layer
To customize your Helix bed, you’ll take a simple, 2-3-minute sleep quiz to help build the best mattress for your needs. If you sleep with a partner, you can build a blended mattress OR each one of you can have your individual side customized (dual comfort).
What Helix customers have to say
Helix mattress reviews from couples:
- “We LOVE our Helix mattress! My husband prefers for his to be more firm and I like it a bit softer and that was always tricky for us. Now, no problem at all! We sleep like babies.” – Viktoriya K.
- “The support is perfect for both of us. My back feels so much better in the morning, and I no longer wake up due to my girlfriends constant tossing and turning. Best money I’ve spent in years.” – Ian
- “My wife and I have thoroughly enjoyed our new King Helix Mattress. From day one we could not get over how comfortable it is. We were a little skeptical at first, given that we’ve only ever slept on a (pillow top) spring mattress and that the memory foam would be too restrictive. Boy we’re we ever wrong. Not only is the combination of the memory foam and inner springs super comfortable, but the bed stays cool, offers the perfect amount of bounce and never feels like we’re trapped in the memory foam. We literally can’t wait to get to bed every night and we miss it when we travel. My only small complaint would be the edge support. Since we’re in a king, I never feel that we’re about to fall off, but I would say that the mattress is extra “squishy” around the edges.” – Stewart S.
Helix mattress reviews from customers with back and joint pain:
- “Their product is the best I’ve ever experienced and I have previously bought a number of very expensive and unsuccessful products in trying to solve my mattress and sleep problems. Their mattress solved a very painful hip contact problem on a top-rated memory foam mattress, that caused me to constantly awaken and rotate from side to side all night, because of the severe hip pain. Problem now solved.”
- “Great mattress! Been using it for a couple months now and has been sooo comfortable. I don’t have pain anymore and wake up more rested. I am a side sleeper with broad hips and shoulders and customizing it to me really helped relieve the pressure.” – Jessica R.
- “I used to wake up with all sorts of aches & pains, and this mattress virtually eliminates those discomforts caused by impersonally-crafted mattresses. The cost isn’t cheap but you’re investing in your health, literally. And, it’s American made. It’s great to see & invest in American ingenuity once again. They do sell bed sheets but I don’t recommend them. I have a queen mattress, so I ordered queen sheets; however, the sheets turned out to be WAY to big, almost king size and bunched up overnight as I slept, making it very uncomfortable despite the great mattress.” – Donald K.
Helix mattress reviews on comfort:
- “I got the Helix after trying out a competitor’s mattress. This is the best mattress that I have slept on. Great support, cool sleeping temp, and very comfortable. I would recommend this mattress to anyone looking for the complete package.” – Bill B.
- “I was skeptical of ordering a mattress online without trying it first. But I went ahead with the purchase because of Helix’s risk free trial period. This is by far the nicest mattress I have ever slept on, and I had a Tempur-Pedic for the last 5 years. I’m a side sleeper and I have never been so comfortable sleeping on my side. Highly recommended!” – (Google Reviewer)
Read more reviews here.
If you’d like to hear from a real couple after sleeping on the Helix mattress for one month, check out our In Real Life review below.
The finer print
The Helix mattress ships free in the U.S. and usually takes 6-10 business days. If you choose the dual comfort option, this will add another 2-3 days to the shipping timeline.
Once your Helix arrives, simply remove the mattress from the box and set it on your foundation while it’s still encased in plastic. Then, remove the mattress from its plastic wrapping, give it 45 minutes to an hour to regain its shape.
If you are unhappy with your Helix mattress within the first 100 days, you can return it for a full refund. Helix will make every effort to donate lightly used mattresses to charities and housing facilities.
The Helix comes with a 10-year limited warranty.
Do not machine wash or dry, bleach, or dry clean the cover. You can spot clean as needed with gentle soap and cold water. Make sure to air dry completely before putting on fresh sheets.
- Made in the USA.
- The foam layers in the Helix mattress are CertiPUR-US® certified.
- If you feel like your Helix mattress is too soft or too firm after the 30-day break-in period, Helix will provide a complimentary soft or firm topper that you can add overtop of your mattress during your 100-night trial. This doesn’t void the trial in any way, and you can still process a return/refund if you continue having issues.
- Helix offers a referral program for spreading the word about their mattress: for every friend you refer who ends up buying the mattress, your friend will get a $50 discount on their purchase and you’ll get a $50 Amazon gift card. You can learn more about the program here.
Helix mattress FAQs
How does the 100 night trial period work?
From the day your Helix mattress is delivered, you will have 100 nights to decide if the mattress is right for you. If you decide to return your Helix, you’ll simply contact the customer support team within your trial period window and they will walk you through the return process. A representative will arrange for your mattress to be picked up from your home and donated to a local charity in need. You won’t need to put the mattress back in the box it came in.
What’s the difference between a Dual Comfort and Blended Helix Mattress for couples?
If you choose the Blended Helix Mattress, Helix will take the combination of both of your individual results to create a happy medium across the whole mattress. This option is recommended for couples that are similar in sleeping needs or prefer a consistent feel across the whole mattress.
For couples with very different needs, a Dual Comfort Helix Mattress might better suit you. For this option, each of your results is used to build two different sides of the mattress, splitting the mattress down the middle. Keep in mind that this will add $150 to your purchase total, along with an extra 2-3 days in shipping time.
Do I need to flip the Helix mattress?
It is not recommended that you flip your Helix mattress, as your personalized construction is built on top of a supportive base layer. The blue fabric should always be the bottom part of the mattress, with the white fabric should be on top. The order of the layers in your Helix Mattress is critical to maintaining the integrity of your individual design.
Does the Helix mattress have a break-in period?
It does – in fact all mattresses do! It can take up to 30 days to fully break in your new mattress. During this time, your body will get used to the new mattress feel and the mattress will have time to fully take shape and provide all the benefits it was designed to offer.
How much weight can the Helix mattress support?
The Helix mattress can support up to 500 lbs of combined weight, and up to 350lbs for individual sleepers.
Can I finance my Helix mattress?
You can finance your Helix through Klarna. To take advantage of financing options, select “Pay With Klarna” at checkout, follow the prompts, and enter some basic information for an instant loan decision. You can get approved for a rate as low as 0% APR.
If you decide to finance your mattress, you will not be able to apply discount codes or promotions to your order.
*Klarna loans are not currently available for residents of West Virginia and New Hampshire.
How long can I keep my Helix Mattress in the box?
You should make sure that you unbox your Helix within two weeks of receiving your package. Spending too much time in the packaging can affect the resilience of the mattress, preventing it from taking its full shape.
Other products sold by Helix
- Mattress foundation: $275 for queen
- Mattress protector: $90 for queen
- Frame: $175 for queen
- Adjustable Pillow: $85 for standard
- Sheet set: $125 for queen
If you have more questions about the Helix mattress, check out their FAQ page or leave us a comment below.
Customer rating is derived from Google Reviews on the Helix mattress.
By clicking on the product links in this article, Mattress Advisor may receive a commission fee at no cost to you, the reader. Read full disclosure statement.