Helix Midnight Luxe Mattress Review
By clicking on the product links in this article, Mattress Advisor may receive a commission fee at no cost to you, the reader. Read full disclosure statement.
Overview: The Helix Midnight Luxe is a top-rated premium hybrid mattress that features unique attributes like innovative cooling technology and zoned support. Ideal for side sleepers, this is a durable mattress that’s worth the investment. The materials used in the mattress are CertiPUR-US certified meaning the foam is made without materials that deplete the ozone and it meets emissions standards.
Who Is the Helix Midnight Luxe Mattress Best for?
|Helix Midnight Luxe is best for:||Helix Midnight Luxe may not be best for:|
The Helix Midnight Luxe is one of our favorite hybrid mattresses. With innovative cooling technology and a combination of supportive coils and soft foam, this bed is ideal for side sleepers, people suffering from back pain, and those who sleep hot. Zoned-lumbar support and excellent pressure point relief set this hybrid bed apart from others.
In this review, we’ll answer your questions about the Helix Midnight Luxe, go over the pros and cons, share customer reviews, and discuss the product specs.
Best Things About the Helix Midnight Luxe
- Superior cooling makes the Helix Midnight Luxe a unique hybrid bed. The pillow top features Tencel, a material that sleeps cooler than foams without cooling elements.
- When we performed our spine alignment test, the spines of our subjects were nearly straight, which indicates a good night of sleep and exceptional zoned-lumbar support.
- The polyfoam transition layer works to contour to your body and cradles around the hips and shoulders of side sleepers.
- As a Helix Luxe model, the Midnight Luxe comes with a quilted pillow-top, zoned lumbar support, more foam layers, premium edges, a Tencel cover, and a longer warranty than the standard mattresses.
Take a look at the breakdown of the scores from various tests we use to evaluate the Helix Midnight Luxe mattress. Our total score is a combined, weighted score on a scale of 1 to 10.
|Mattress Advisor Test||Score (Out of 10)|
⭐Total Score for the Helix Midnight Luxe: 8.7/10⭐
- Cooling: The Midnight Luxe scored an impressive 9.5 out of 10 for cooling. Innovative technology like the built-in cooling cover absorbs excess heat to regulate your body temperature and prevent night sweats.
- Responsiveness: This bed also scored high for responsiveness, meaning that the mattress adjusts to your body as you change positions, delivering pressure relief no matter how you rest.
- Spinal Alignment: During our evaluation, the Helix Midnight Luxe did a good job of keeping our tester’s back straight to help them maintain a proper posture.
- Made in the USA: The Helix Midnight Luxe is made to order in the USA.
- Price: The Helix Midnight Luxe is a luxury mattress, so it’s not a great option for shoppers on a budget, but those looking for a more affordable option can consider its sister mattress, the Helix Midnight.
- Motion Isolation: We gave the Helix a 7.5/10 for motion isolation, making it not the best mattress for couples who are prone to waking up to a partner’s movements. We recommend an all-foam mattress like the Leesa.
- Set-Up: With over 1,000 pocketed coils, two foam layers and a pillow-top, the Helix Midnight Luxe is heavy. A queen weighs almost 100 lbs, so we recommend having at least one other person assist in the set-up.
With a total score of 9.5 out of 10, the Helix Midnight Luxe is one of the coolest mattresses we’ve ever tested. When we lay down on its breathable pillow top, it was cool to the touch and the Tencel material increased airflow throughout the mattress. That paired with the gel foam and coil system inside make for a breathable and actively cooling mattress.
Though cooling was impressive, we were less than impressed with the Midnight Luxe’s motion isolation properties. While the wine test turned out pretty well (see video below), when we performed our actual partner movement test one partner felt some movement as the other shifted positions on his side of the bed. Couples or sleepers who share their bed with pets or kids may want to consider an all-foam mattress that absorbs motion better.
We found the Midnight Luxe keeps the spine almost perfectly straight when resting. All sleepers will benefit from proper spinal alignment but especially those who wake up with back pain or pressure build-up. Seniors, no matter their sleeping position, can reduce the chance of joint pain by maintaining proper spinal alignment.
Learn some of the practical details you need to know before you buy, including what sleep position the Midnight Luxe Mattress best supports and what it’s made of.
Where Does It Fall on the Firmness Scale?
The Midnight Luxe falls at a 5 out of 10 on the firmness scale, meaning the bed has medium firmness, slightly softer than the industry standard of 6.5 for medium firm. The balanced feel created by the soft pillow-top and supportive coils makes the Midnight Luxe suitable for just about everyone but heavier sleepers and stomach sleepers.
Does Helix Work for Your Sleeping Position?
The Helix Midnight Luxe is one of the best mattresses for side sleepers thanks to the zoned-lumbar support offered by the pocket coil core layer. The zoned support helps the Midnight Luxe provide excellent spinal alignment. The bed also offers softer support in the upper region to cradle your shoulders, while providing firmer support around the hips to prevent a dip in the lower back.
Stomach and back sleepers will see some benefit from the zoned support, but stomach sleepers may find this medium-firm mattress is too soft. Head over to our guides on the best mattresses for stomach sleepers for better recommendations. The high-scoring responsiveness does make movement easy, especially for combination sleepers or those who move around during the night.
The Helix Midnight Luxe boasts exceptional cooling technology and scored nearly a near-perfect score in this area, so this bed is definitely a great choice for those who sleep hot. A premium, built-in cooling cover absorbs excess heat to regulate body temperature. Even months after unboxing this mattress, the Helix Midnight Luxe still feels cool to the touch.
Can It Support Your Weight?
This bed-in-a-box can support up to 500 lbs for one sleeper and 1,000 lbs for two sleepers, making the Helix Midnight Luxe capable of supporting many different body types and weights, including heavy people. However, plus-size sleepers may not like the feel of the Helix Midnight Luxe and opt for a firmer innerspring mattress like the Saatva HD or a similar mattress specifically designed for heavier people.
Best Bed Frames for Helix Midnight Luxe
The Helix Midnight Luxe will perform best when placed on a quality, stable support system. The Helix Foundation is the best option, but you can also use a foundation you already have, even adjustable bases. Helix recommends using a bunkie board with a box spring or another base with firm, thick slats.
Deep Dive into Mattress Construction
The Helix Midnight Luxe mattress is composed of six layers wrapped in a cooling cover. The four layers of foam provide support and contouring.
- Ultra-Cool Premium Pillow Top: Top layer that provides comfort and features a phase change material in its fabric. The breathable cover absorbs excess heat helping to regulate body temperature.
- Memory Plus Foam Support Layer: High-density memory foam that provides cushioning and support.
- Gel Visco Comfort Layer: Gel-infused memory foam layer made with high-density gel Visco foam made for comfort and pressure relief.
- High-Grade Polyfoam Transition Layer: Foam transition layer provides contouring to your body and makes for a smooth transition from foam to support coils.
- Pocket Coil Mattress Core: 1,000 individually-wrapped pocket coils compose this layer, providing zoned support. This gives a softer feel under the shoulders and a firmer feel under the hips to help cradle your body while also maintaining spine alignment.
- DuraDense Foam Base Layer: Bottom layer that provides support and durability for the entire structure.
Helix Midnight Luxe Mattress Sizes, Dimensions, and Pricing
The Helix Midnight Luxe mattress comes in six different size options. You also can pay an additional fee to get a mattress with a GlacioTex Cooling Cover.
|Size||Dimensions (W x L x H)||Weight||Price*|
|Twin||38” x 75” x 14”||58 lbs||$1,199|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 14”||61 lbs||$1,449|
|Full||54” x 75” x 14”||75 lbs||$1,749|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 14”||84 lbs||$2,049|
|King||76” x 80” x 14”||100 lbs||$2,499|
|Cal King||72” x 84” x 14”||110 lbs||$2,499|
*Prices do not reflect exclusive offers or discounts. Click below to see the best price for the Helix Midnight Luxe mattress.
The Helix Luxe mattress comes wrapped in two layers of plastic, so you will need to place it on your foundation or support system before unrolling the plastic. During our unboxing of the Midnight Luxe, we found it to be very heavy and there was a strong off-gassing scent. Any off-gassing odor should dissipate within 24 hours of unboxing the mattress. Our score reflects that the Helix Midnight Luxe was not the easiest mattress to unbox.
Interested in purchasing a Helix Midnight Luxe? Find out important purchasing information like how long the warranty is good for and how long the mattress takes to be delivered.
|Delivery||Compressed and rolled in a box; delivered in 3-10 business days|
|Trial Period||100 nights|
|Warranty||15-year limited warranty|
|Return Policy||Free returns|
|Financing||Available through Klarna and Katapult|
All Helix mattresses are delivered via FedEx in 3-10 business days. You do not have to be home to sign for the mattress when it’s delivered. Helix does offer in-home set-up at a fee of $149 for one mattress and $199 for two items or more. Additionally, Helix removes old mattresses; you can select that option at checkout.
Helix offers a 100-night sleep trial for you to see if your Midnight Luxe mattress is a fit for you. This period starts the day your mattress is delivered. This is an average sleep trial period as most mattress companies offer trial periods of anywhere from 100 days to a full year.
Your Helix Midnight Luxe mattress is covered by a 15-year limited warranty. It extends to the original purchaser of the mattress, and you should keep a copy of your receipt as proof of purchase. This warranty covers any defects or physical flaws in the mattress like splits or cracks in the foam of the mattress or any flaw found in the mattress cover.
To submit a claim, contact customer service via the site’s chat feature or schedule a call with their support team. If it proved the mattress to have a defect, Helix will reimburse you $100 for shipping costs.
Contacting Customer Service
While Helix does not have an open phone line, customers can chat with Helix’s support team on their site or schedule a call with the support team, or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Helix also has a Help chat with answers to some frequently asked questions.
How to Return the Mattress
If you decide to return your Helix mattress, you can fill out a return form on Helix’s website. Helix does require a minimum of 30 days before you can return your mattress, but after the 30 days, you can return your Helix mattress within your 100-night trial for a full refund. Most mattresses have a break-in period, which is why Helix asks you to try the bed out for 30 days before returning.
Once a refund has been issued, it takes 5-7 business days for the credit to be reflected back onto your original payment method. Additionally, Helix donates lightly used mattresses to charities and housing facilities.
Is the Helix Midnight Luxe Right for You?
The Helix Midnight Luxe offers you 100 nights to try this bed, plus a 15-year warranty if you make a commitment. This luxurious bed is great for hot sleepers, all sleeping positions (especially side sleepers), and those with sensitive pressure points.
You should probably avoid the Midnight Luxe if you are easily woken by your partner’s movements or you find yourself on a budget. The regular Helix Midnight mattress has a ton of similar qualities to the Helix Midnight Luxe but with a smaller price-tag.
the Helix Sunset, which is best for side sleepers.
See How Helix Midnight Luxe Compares
Helix Midnight Luxe vs Other Hybrid Mattresses
The Helix Midnight Luxe is slightly softer than the average hybrid mattress without sacrificing support. The top layer of the Midnight Luxe consists of an ultra-cool premium pillow-top to provide the ultimate comfort experience. Combined with the Midnight Luxe’s memory foam and innerspring layers and you have a mattress that marries cushion and support better than most hybrid beds.
Midnight Luxe vs Other Helix Mattresses
Midnight Luxe vs the Standard Helix Mattress Collection
Helix’s line of original mattresses contains six hybrid models designed to support every type of sleeper, no matter your firmness preference, sleeping position, or body size. Here’s how the Midnight Luxe compares to the mattresses in this line.
- Midnight Luxe vs Sunset: The Helix Sunset is an ultra-plush hybrid made for side sleepers and the Midnight Luxe is a medium mattress best for side sleepers. The Sunset allows the body to sink in, while the Midnight Luxe falls between sleeping “on” and “in” the mattress. Read our full Helix Sunset mattress review.
- Midnight Luxe vs Moonlight: The Helix Moonlight mattress is best for people who spend most of the night on their stomachs or backs. This has a softer feel than the Midnight Luxe’s medium feel, making the Moonlight best for people who like a plush feel and the Midnight Luxe better for anyone who prefers a balance between give and support. Read our full Helix Moonlight mattress review.
- Midnight Luxe vs Midnight: The Helix Midnight and Midnight Luxe have an identical medium firmness level, great for the average sleeper. What sets them apart is that the Midnight Luxe comes with upgraded features. Read our full Helix Midnight mattress review.
- Midnight Luxe vs Twilight: The Helix Twilight is a firm mattress with a memory foam top layer that cushions areas like the hips and shoulders. It’s one of the best beds for plus-size side sleepers. The Midnight Luxe is noticeably softer with a comfort layer that marries the responsiveness of latex with the cushion of foam. The Midnight Luxe’s balanced foam feel supports the average sleeper. Read our full Helix Twilight mattress review.
- Midnight Luxe vs Dawn: The Helix Dawn and Midnight Luxe beds both have the support and contouring that back and stomach sleepers need, but the Midnight Luxe’s medium firmness is softer than the Dawn’s firm feel. Go with the Dawn if you prefer to sleep “on” your mattress or the Dusk if you like the feeling of slightly sinking in. Read our full Helix Dawn mattress review.
Need some help deciding which of the Helix mattresses is best for you? Take Helix’s sleep quiz on their website and you’ll be paired with the mattress that’s built with your needs in mind.
The Midnight Luxe vs Helix Luxe Mattress Collection
Each standard Helix model comes in a high-quality Helix Luxe version. The Luxe mattresses have the same firmness as the originals and are built for the same sleep positions, but there are differences that make the Luxe a more lavish mattress. Since the Midnight Luxe is a Helix Luxe mattress, it comes with similar features as the other models. The main difference between the Midnight Luxe and the others in the collection is the comfort level they come with. The Sunset Luxe and Moonlight Luxe come with a softer feel and the Twilight Luxe and Dawn Luxe come with a firmer feel. The Dusk Luxe is another medium-firm option designed for back and stomach sleepers.
The Midnight Luxe vs the Plus
The Helix Plus and Midnight Luxe mattresses each have a medium feel and hybrid design. The difference between the two is that the Plus is created specifically for heavier people. This means the materials used in the Plus are sturdier than the Midnight Luxe, and there’s even an added inch of cushion in the Plus.
The Midnight Luxe vs the Birch
The Birch is Helix’s eco-friendly mattress. It’s made from all-natural materials including cotton, wool, latex, and steel coils. Its medium-firm feel is similar to the Helix Midnight Luxe. However, the Midnight Luxe earned a full point and a half more for cooling. To learn more, check out our Birch mattress review.
The Midnight Luxe vs Helix Kids
The Helix Kids mattress is dual-side hybrid mattress that grows with your child. It has a slightly higher responsive score to allow young sleepers to change positions easily. Read our full Helix Kids mattress review.
More Helix Mattress Reviews
- Birch Mattress
- Helix Dawn Mattress
- Helix Dusk Mattress
- Helix Kids Mattress
- Helix Midnight Mattress
- Helix Moonlight Mattress
- Helix Sunset Mattress
- Helix Twilight Mattress
How long can the Midnight Luxe stay in the box?
Helix recommends keeping your mattress in its box for no longer than three weeks after its arrival date. Allowing your mattress to stay compressed beyond this time adds a risk of slowing down the expansion time for your mattress.
How long will it take to break in the Helix Luxe bed?
It may take around 30 to 45 nights to fully break in your Helix Luxe mattress. This time also accounts for the time needed for your body to adjust to a new mattress.
Should I flip my mattress?
No. This mattress is not designed to be flipped. In fact, the ordering of the layers is critical to the performance of the mattress. However, you can rotate your mattress, but this is not necessary.
What makes a Helix Luxe mattress different than the standard mattresses?
Helix Luxe mattresses come with upgraded features. This includes the following:
- A quilted pillow top: An opulent pillow top adds even more of a luxury mattress feel.
- Zoned lumbar support: The pocketed coil layer in the Luxe collection is zoned, delivering extra support along the lumbar region and more cushion at the shoulders.
- More foam layers: The Luxe mattresses have an additional foam layer for incredible comfort and pain relief.
- Premium edges: While the standard beds do have a reinforced perimeter, the Luxe edges are slightly studier and more comfortable.
- Tencel cover: A premium Tencel fabric boosts breathability, supporting an even cooler sleeping experience.
By clicking on the product links in this article, Mattress Advisor may receive a commission fee at no cost to you, the reader. Read full disclosure statement.
Helix Midnight Luxe Mattress Comparisons
Helix Midnight Luxe vs. Helix Midnight
|Criteria||Helix Midnight Luxe||Helix Midnight|
|Mattress Advisor Score||8.7/10||8.7 /10|
|Firmness||Medium (5/10)||Firm (7/10)|
|Who’s It Best For?||
The Helix Midnight mattress is the more budget-friendly version of the Helix Midnight Luxe. It feels firmer than the Midnight Luxe, but like all Helix mattresses it provides great body-contouring and deep pressure relief. We highly recommend the Helix Midnight for couples, since its memory foam layers help ensure you won’t feel disturbed by your partner moving around at night.
The Midnight Luxe is less firm than the original Midnight, making it a better option for side sleepers. It also features zoned support, which means it’s designed to feel softer around your shoulders but keep your hips lifted and your spine in healthy alignment (another perk for side sleepers). The Luxe is also loaded with more cooling tech than the original Midnight, so hot sleepers may prefer this bed.
Helix Midnight Luxe vs. DreamCloud Premier
|Criteria||Helix Midnight Luxe||DreamCloud Premier|
|Mattress Advisor Score||8.7 /10||8.9 /10|
|Firmness||Medium (5/10)||Medium-Firm (6.5/10)|
|Who’s It Best For?||
The Helix Midnight Luxe and DreamCloud Premier are both extremely durable luxury hybrid mattresses. The Helix Midnight Luxe is a little softer than the DreamCloud, which makes it a better pick for side sleepers. Its special cooling tech also means hot sleepers might prefer the Helix.
On the other hand, the DreamCloud Premier is pressure-relieving but responsive, which makes it a great choice for combination sleepers who need support and cushioning in different places throughout the night. The DreamCloud Premier also does a better job isolating motion than the Helix Midnight Luxe, which means couples might prefer it. While both mattresses are luxury options, the DreamCloud Premier is a little bit cheaper than the Helix.
Check out our full DreamCloud Premier mattress review.