Helix Midnight Mattress Review
Helix Midnight Mattress Review
✔️Last updated: January 2023
|✔️Customer Rating: 4.6/5|
|✔️Mattress Advisor Score: 8.7/10|
|✔️Free Shipping & Returns|
|✔️100-Night Sleep Trial|
|✔️10-Year Limited Warranty|
Get 20% Off Sitewide + 2 Free Dream Pillows
Overview: The Helix Midnight mattress is Helix’s most popular bed because it works for most types of sleepers. Its high performance in our test allows Helix Midnight to adapt to your needs and body type. Plus, it comes with a 100-night sleep trial and a 10-year warranty.
Who Is the Helix Midnight Mattress Best for?
|Helix Midnight is best for:||Helix Midnight may not be best for:|
Overall, the Helix is just a great mattress. It’s built to relieve pressure at the pain points to keep you comfortable, support your body for proper alignment, and help you wake up feeling more restored. Across the board, there wasn’t an area that the Helix performed poorly in, which is pretty impressive if you ask us! Plus, it’s one of the best bed-in-box mattresses that we’ve tested and a runner-up for one of the best hybrid mattresses we’ve ever reviewed.
What We Like
- Helix Midnight offers a 7/10 firmness, a little firmer than the standard medium-firm feel.
- This bed is especially good for side sleeping thanks to the high-grade polyfoam layer.
- Helix’s breathable cover and hybrid construction equal a bed with great airflow and temperature regulation so you can sleep cool at night.
- It scored above average in almost every one of our Mattress Advisor tests, making it a well-rounded option.
See how the Helix Midnight performed in our mattress tests to help you determine if this could be the mattress for you.
We calculate our mattress score based on many factors relating to the mattress’s performance and shopping experience. Each score is rated on a scale out of 10, with a 1 being the worst and a 10 being the best. To calculate our total score, we take a weighted average incorporating all the features and characteristics of the mattress. See the chart below for our scoring of the Helix Midnight.
|Mattress Advisor Test||Score (Out of 10)|
⭐Total Score for the Helix Midnight Mattress: 8.7/10⭐
Pros and Cons
- Edge Support: The Helix Midnight does a great job of supporting your body when you lay on the edge, earning a near-perfect score in this category.
- Spine Alignment: Now if you have back pain, you should also be looking for a bed with great spinal alignment, meaning it supports your body in a way that gives you a straight spine. With a 9/10, the Midnight mattress keeps your spine decently straight all night.
- Motion Transfer: The Helix Midnight’s foam layers help isolate motion so you can move around without disturbing your partner.
- Made in the USA: Every Helix Midnight mattress is constructed here in the United States.
- Natural Materials: The foam layers in the Helix mattress are CertiPUR-US® certified, meaning they’re free of toxins.
- Cost: While we’d categorized Helix as a great value option, it’s not the best choice for people on a tight budget.
- Off-Gassing: There is an off-gassing smell when you unbox your Helix Midnight, which is normal for mattresses with foam. Allow your Helix bed to air out before making it up.
The Helix mattress is truly a great mattress for couples. Starting with the customizable experience, the Helix allows both partners to choose exactly what they want and need in a mattress. You won’t have to worry about compromising on your sleep because Helix can put the qualities of two mattresses into one sharable bed.
In our testing, we also noticed the Helix has great motion isolation capabilities. Couples should care about having a bed that minimizes motions transfer; otherwise, you’ll both wake up to each other’s movements or middle-of-the-night bathroom breaks. When we brought the Helix into our Lab for testing, we were impressed with how well the Helix performs in this area.
If you’re like me and you like to sit on the edge of your bed to get ready, get unready, or just chat with the people you live with, edge support is crucial in your mattress. Luckily, Helix Midnight offers us that support.
For our edge support test, our subjects sat on the edge of the bed and tied their shoes, then lay there in each sleep position. The support level? 9 out of 10—solid.
When it comes to its place on the firmness scale, Helix Midnight is a 7/10. This is slightly firmer than the mattress industry standard for medium-firm. Most people will find this comfort level works well for their preferred sleeping position.
If you’re looking for a firmer mattress, consider checking out our top picks for the best firm mattresses.
Helix Midnight and Sleeping Positions
Because of Helix Midnight’s memory foam comfort layer and great responsiveness, this bed works for each position, and here’s how:
- Side sleepers get the plush contouring of the foam and great spine alignment. The Luxe version is one of our top mattresses for side sleepers.
- Stomach sleepers and back sleepers benefit from the 7/10 firmness as well as the pressure-relieving foam. Check out some of our other top mattresses for stomach sleepers and back sleeper mattresses too.
- Combination sleepers will get a good mattress for all sleeping positions that will easily adjust as they move, so they can get comfortable quickly.
Does It Regulate Your Temperature?
Being a hybrid mattress, the Helix Midnight does a great job of keeping your temperature down at night. The innerspring coil system gives you airflow under the surface of the bed while the soft, stretchable cover provides breathability to keep your body heat from staying trapped. To make it even cooler, you can add a GlacioTex Cooling Cover during your checkout.
Is There a Weight Limit?
The Helix Midnight supports up to 1,000 lbs of weight for a queen: that’s a 500-lb limit per side. It’s safe to say that the Helix Midnight supports sleepers of all body types, shapes, and sizes.
What Foundations or Bed Frames Can be Used with Helix Midnight?
It’s best to use mattress foundations that are firm, flat, and sturdy for the Helix mattresses. Bunkie boards and box springs work well. If you use a slatted foundation, make sure the slats are no wider than 5″ apart. Anything wider won’t be supportive enough and can void your mattress warranty.
Materials and Construction
Helix has a lot of cool-sounding names for its layers: Helix Dynamic Foam, Memory Plus Foam, and DuraDense Foam. But to put it plainly, Helix uses three layers of foam, a pocketed coil system, and a cooling cover to bring you night after night of great sleep.
- Cover: Helix’s soft touch mattress cover allows for airflow and has a light stretch.
- Comfort Layer: This memory foam comfort layer provides pressure relief.
- Transition Layer: A high-grade polyfoam layer offers support and comfort to match your body type.
- Body Shape Layer: Individually wrapped coils help to support your weight and limit motion transfer.
- Base Layer: A thick DuraDense foam layer gives the mattress durability and helps support the entire structure.
Helix Midnight Mattress Sizes, Dimensions, and Pricing
|Twin||38” x 75” x 12”||65 lbs.||$799|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 12”||65 lbs.||$899|
|Full||54” x 75” x 12”||85 lbs.||$1,049|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 12”||100 lbs.||$1,199|
|King||76” x 80” x 12”||120 lbs.||$1,549|
|Cal King||72” x 84” x 12”||120 lbs.||$1,549|
*Prices do not reflect exclusive offers or Helix discounts. Click below to see the best price for the Helix Midnight mattress.
Unboxing and Setting Up the Mattress
Helix comes compressed in a box. You simply take it into your house and choose the room you’re going to unroll the Midnight mattress in. It took us one minute and 48 seconds to completely unbox the mattress.
We recommend making this a partner project because the coil system makes this bed a little heavy. Once the packing is unwrapped, allow your new mattress to expand and off-gas, both of which should happen in a few hours.
If you’re ready to purchase a Helix Midnight, check out these details so you can be fully prepared for your purchasing experience.
|Delivery||Compressed and rolled in a 16″ x 16″ x 48″ box for a queen; delivered in 1-4 weeks|
|Trial Period||100 days|
|Warranty||10-year limited warranty|
|Return Policy||Return for full refund between 30-100 days after purchase|
|Financing||Available through Klarna and Katapult|
Helix Shipping and Delivery
Helix mattresses are delivered via UPS Ground, so you shouldn’t need to provide a signature. However, UPS does reserve the right to obtain a signature if they believe they cannot safely deliver your package. Every mattress is made to order and should arrive within 1-4 weeks of placing your order.
Once your Helix mattress is delivered, you have 100 nights to try it out. During this timeframe, you get to sleep on your mattress before making a full commitment. Not a perfect match? Simply return your bed 100% for free. Helix does ask that you wait for the full 30-night break-in period to pass before initiating a return of your Midnight mattress. Once you decide to return your mattress, submit a return request on the Helix website.
The Helix mattress warranty lasts for 10 years and covers indentations greater than 1″ and physical flaws due to manufacturing. This warranty does not cover comfort preferences, physical abuse, or damage due to improper use (such as using the wrong foundation).
Helix Customer Service
Helix’s customer support team is difficult to contact, which is why we gave them a 7.5/10 customer service score. You can email email@example.com or visit their website to schedule a call with the team. Unlike some mattress companies, they don’t have a live chat or phone number listed to contact.
If you’ve decided to return your Helix Midnight take this series of steps:
- Email the customer support team with your full name, an order description, and the issue with your mattress.
- A representative will walk you through the return process which includes scheduling a time for your bed to be picked up, donated, or recycled.
- Receive your full refund.
You also can submit a return request form on the Helix website by taking the following steps:
- Select “Returns, Exchanges, and Replacements” under the “How can we help?” header
- Click “I’d like to Return/Exchange Something”
- Choose your reason for returning the mattress under “Why are you returning?”
Helix Midnight Mattress Comparisons
Helix Midnight vs. Purple
|Mattress Advisor Score||8.7/10||8.4/10|
|Firmness||Firm (7/10)||Medium-Firm (6.5/10)|
|Who’s It Best For?||
The Helix Midnight and Purple are both favorites of side sleepers thanks to their pressure-relieving comfort layers, but these beds feel very different. The slightly firmer Helix Midnight has a traditional memory foam feel and features deep body-contouring and sinkage. These qualities make it a better choice for sleepers who like to feel like they’re being hugged by their mattress. It also makes it a better choice for couples who don’t want to be disturbed by their partner’s movements at night.
On the other hand, the Purple’s unique Grid layer is springy and responsive. It makes this bed a much better option for combination sleepers who like to move around and change positions at night. The Purple also sleeps incredibly cool, making it the better choice for hot sleepers.
Check out our full Helix vs Purple mattress comparison.
Helix Midnight vs. Casper
|Mattress Advisor Score||8.7/10||8.7/10|
|Firmness||Firm (7/10)||Medium-Firm (6/10)|
|Who’s It Best For?||
Surprisingly, the hybrid Helix Midnight mattress provides better pressure relief than the memory foam Casper. This makes the Midnight a better choice for side sleepers and folks with joint pain. The Helix mattress is also the better pick for hot sleepers because its coil layer promotes airflow throughout the bed.
The all-foam Casper offers zoned support, which means it is firmer at the hips and softer at the shoulders. This makes it an ideal pick for sleepers with back pain, as it will provide the extra lift at the lower back they need to feel comfortable at night. This bed is also a great choice for combination sleepers. Casper’s memory foam layer is more responsive than traditional memory foam, which means it is easy to move around and change positions at night on this bed.
Check out our full Helix vs Casper mattress comparison.
Is the Helix Midnight Right for You?
Time to find out if Helix Midnight is your dream mattress. This bed has great motion isolation for couples and co-sleepers, sleeps pretty darn cool thanks to the mattress materials, supports up to 1,000 lbs, and is firm (7/10) but not too firm. In other words, it’s hard to imagine that this bed won’t work for you.
It however may be too costly for those on a budget or unappealing for sleepers that prefer a memory foam feel. However, with Helix’s sleep quiz, color match system, and over 13 models to choose from, there is a very slim chance that you won’t find a Helix bed that suits your needs, budget, and body type. Check out or Helix mattress reviews to find the best Helix bed for you.
Is Helix Midnight Like Other Mattresses?
Want to compare the Helix Midnight to other mattresses on the market? Check out some of our comprehensive comparisons where we look at the mattresses, materials, performance factors, ratings, prices, and more all side-by-side!
Do I need to flip the Helix Midnight?
Nope! Helix is designed to be a one-sided mattress, so no need to flip it.
Does the Helix mattress have a break-in period?
Yes, there is a 30-day break-in period for your Helix Midnight mattress.
How long can I leave my Helix mattress in the box?
It’s best to remove your Helix mattress from the box as soon as you receive it, but if you must leave it in the box, make sure you remove it within two weeks of delivery so the mattress will be in its best shape.
Does the Helix Midnight sleep hot?
The Helix Midnight should sleep fairly cool! The innerspring coil system allows for airflow throughout the night, and the cover is made of a breathable material.