Helix Plus (Nightfall) Mattress Review
Helix Plus (Nightfall) Mattress Review
✔️Last updated: May 2023
|✔️Customer Rating: 4.6/5|
|✔️Mattress Advisor Score: 8/10|
|✔️Free Shipping & Returns|
|✔️100-Night Sleep Trial|
Get 25% Off Sitewide + 2 Free Dream Pillows
What We Think: The Helix Plus mattress is a great option for heavier people and plus-sized sleepers. The quality dense materials combined with contouring foam also makes Helix Plus work well for side sleepers. Helix Plus’s durability is ensured with their 15-year warranty, meaning you’ll sleep well for years.
Who Is the Helix Plus Mattress Best for?
|Helix Plus is best for:||Helix Plus may not be best for:|
Helix Plus Highlights
Helix Plus, formerly the Helix Nightfall mattress, is a top hybrid mattress designed specifically for plus size and big & tall sleepers. In fact, Helix Plus is one of the best mattresses for heavy people. In this mattress review, we’ll tell you all about the ins and out of the Helix Plus mattress, including FAQs, pros, and cons, products specs, and how it performed in our mattress lab tests and evaluations.
To find out more about the Helix Plus mattress, read on.
What We Love The Helix Nightfall Mattress:
- This mattress is made with higher density foams and coils, and it adds an extra support layer of Helix Dynamic Foam that contours and cushions your body for comfort and support.
- The Plus mattress is known for its maximum support. It provides an extra layer of durability to support those with higher BMIs.
- If you’re sharing your bed with a sleeping partner, you have the option to choose a dual comfort mattress (which personalizes each side of the bed based on test results).
- Are you a hot sleeper? If so, the outer cover of your Helix mattress is the Ultra-Cool knit cover to keep you from waking up in those midnight sweats.
See our testing scores below to see how the Helix Plus (Nightfall) performed in our in-house testing process.
|Mattress Advisor Test||Score (Out of 10)|
⭐Total Score for the Helix Plus Mattress: 8/10⭐
Pros and Cons
- Pressure Relief: Heavier sleepers tend to have more pressure on those sensitive areas like the hips and shoulder, so they need a mattress that can ease these pressure points. The Helix Plus showed minimal stress on these pressure points during our lab test.
- Spine Alignment: Side sleepers especially should look for a mattress that can offer an aligned spine. This keeps you from waking up with lower back pain. The Helix Plus mattress offered a near perfectly straight spine to our side sleeper.
- Cooling: No matter your size, sleeping hot and waking up sweating is a pain. The Helix Plus is made with breathable layers that keep you cool all night.
- Durability: Plus-sized sleepers can struggle with keeping a mattress for its entire lifespan without premature sagging. That’s why the Helix Plus is made from premium materials and comes with a 15-year warranty.
- Made in the USA: The Helix Plus mattress is made right here in the USA so you can feel good about supporting a local economy.
- Off-Gassing: Note that there may be a slight odor after you unbox your Helix Plus. This should go away within a few hours.
- Edge Support: While the Helix Plus is durable, the edge support wasn’t great.
- Responsiveness: Combination sleepers may want to look for a mattress that responds to their tossing and turning better since the Helix Plus did not perform best in the responsiveness test.
If there was one factor the Helix Plus does not shine in, it’s edge support. We tested this by perching ourselves on the edge to put on a pair of shoes as well as by lying there in all three sleeping positions. And let me tell you, we seriously felt as if we’re falling off. Not great.
This is only a big deal if you enjoy sleeping near the edge of the bed or always seem to find yourself sitting there to get ready or un-ready. If that’s you, consider the DreamCloud mattress, which earned a solid 9.75 in this category.
Though edge support was a little disappointing, we were impressed with Helix Plus’s spine alignment score. When our testers lay on their sides, there was only a slight dip in the middle, meaning you’ll wake up with little to no back pain. (Side sleepers, I’m looking at you.)
Another test that went pretty well was the pressure relief test. This is especially important for heavier sleepers because they tend to not receive great pressure relief from your average mattress. But luckily for us, when we used our pressure heat map, we saw minimal pressure in both the hips and shoulders.
The Helix Plus is a 7-8/10 on the firmness scale, classifying it as a firm mattress. This is the optimal firmness level for back and stomach sleepers. Those that prefer a softer mattress may want to check out Helix’s Midnight mattress, which is a 7/10 firmness level.
Does It Support Your Sleep Position?
Side sleepers will have a straight spine and pressure relief off of their hips and shoulders. Stomach sleepers and back sleepers will also stay in alignment thanks to Helix Plus being a firm mattress. However, the Helix Plus does not have the best responsiveness, so it is not the best choice for combination sleepers.
For more recommendations by sleeping position, head over to the guides below.
Will You Sweat on the Helix Plus?
Cooling is one of the main factors we look for in a mattress for plus-sized sleepers, and the Helix Plus doesn’t disappoint. Made with a layer of innerspring coils, naturally cooling latex foam, and a breathable cover, the Helix Plus allows for ample airflow, allowing built-up heat to escape, keeping you cool. It is one of the best cooling mattresses for heavy sleepers.
Does Helix Plus Have a Weight Limit?
The golden question for a mattress made for heavy people. The Helix Plus mattress supports up to 1000 lbs of combined weight and 500 lbs for an individual sleeper; that’s plenty of support for people of any size.
Foundation and Bed Frame Compatibility
The best foundations to use with your Helix mattress include a bunkie board with a box spring or any sturdy, flat support system. For slatted foundations, slats should be no wider than 5″ apart—anything longer may cause sagging and could potentially void your warranty.
Helix also sells its own foundation and an adjustable base which are both well suited to support this mattress.
The Inside Layers
Helix Plus is a hybrid mattress made with memory foam layers and a pocketed coil system. All foam used in this Helix mattress are CertiPUR-US Certified.
- Premium Cover: The Helix Plus comes with an ultra-breathable TENCEL™ cover, which you can upgrade to a GlacioTex Cooling Cover for an additional fee.
- Comfort Layer: An Ultra Dense memory foam layer made from an extra-durable Helix blend relieves major pressure points and gives a medium-firm feel.
- Support Layer: This layer consists of Helix Dynamic Foam, a patented, dense latex-foam hybrid that combats sinkage and contours to your body.
- Transitional Layer: Next is a firm memory foam layer that provides cushioning and extra support for long-lasting durability. This foam has a higher Indention Force Reflexion to help properly support those with larger body types.
- XL Wrapped Coils: Hundreds of individually wrapped coils help cradle your body and add motion isolation.
- DuraDense Foam Base Layer: This high-density memory foam provides extra durability and support for the overall mattress.
Helix Plus Mattress Sizes, Dimensions, and Pricing
|Twin||38” x 75” x 13”||70 lbs.||$949|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 13”||70 lbs.||$1,049|
|Full||54” x 75” x 13”||90 lbs.||$1,249|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 13”||100 lbs.||$1,749|
|King||76” x 80” x 13”||125 lbs.||$2,199|
|Cal King||72” x 84” x 13”||125 lbs.||$2,199|
*Prices do not reflect exclusive offers or Mattress Advisor Helix discounts. Click below to see the best price for the Helix Plus mattress.
What’s Unboxing Like?
The Helix Plus arrives at your doorstep compressed and rolled up in a box that is roughly 16” x 16” x 48”. Bring it to your room, unroll it on your foundation, and allow it to rise and expand.
When we unboxed the Helix Plus, we noticed how heavy it was from all of the premium layers, so we recommend partner work. There is a slight off-gassing smell when you open the mattress which is normal for bed-in-box mattresses and should disappear within a few hours.
Helix does not offer white glove delivery and setup.
|Delivery||Free shipping; arrive at your door in 3-10 business days|
|Trial Period||100 nights|
|Return Policy||Free returns|
|Financing||Available through Klarna and Katapult|
Helix Shipping and Delivery
The Helix Plus comes with free delivery and should arrive within 3-10 business days. All Helix packages are sent via UPS Ground, and there is no need for a signature unless they decide that they cannot deliver your package safely, in which case they can decide to obtain a signature. Since larger mattress models can weigh over 100 lbs, you may want to enlist a partner to help you carry the box into your home.
Your Sleep Trial
Your 100-night trial period begins when you receive your Helix mattress. This gives you about 3 months to decide if you want to keep or return the Helix mattress. After 30 days, Helix will provide a free mattress topper (either soft or firm) if the firmness isn’t working for you during your 100-night trial. This doesn’t void the trial in any way, and you can still process a return/refund if you continue having issues.
If you decide to return you just have to contact Helix’s customer service team to have a representative sent to your home to pick up the mattress and donate it locally.
How Long is Helix’s Warranty?
The Helix Plus mattress comes with a 15-year warranty that covers any workmanship defects from normal use. This is slightly longer than the typical 10-year warranty that other mattress companies offer. To file a claim email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Talk to Customer Service
Getting in touch with Helix’s customer service is a little challenging since they are backed up and don’t list their phone number. To reach a team member, try one of the following methods:
- Email email@example.com
- Schedule a phone call
- Text HELIX to 67069
- Submit an email contact form on the Helix website
Helix’s website also has a Help chat with answers to frequently asked questions.
What’s the Return Policy?
If you don’t love your Helix Plus mattress, you can return contact customer service for a full refund within your trial period. Helix will have a representative to come pick up your Helix mattress and recycle it or have it donated to a local charity. Helix asks you to break in your mattress for at least 30 nights to allow your body time to adjust to the new materials.
Should You Get the Helix Plus?
Now you’re probably thinking, “Is Helix Plus the mattress for me?” The answer is yes if you check any of the following boxes:
- You consider yourself a heavy sleeper.
- You tend to sweat at night and kick off the covers.
- You suffer from back, hip, or shoulder pain.
- You sleep strictly on your side, back, or stomach.
Helix Plus is not for you if you identify as a combination sleeper who tosses and turns or you find that you enjoy sleeping on the edge of the bed. If you fall into either of those categories, allow me to point you in the direction of the Big Fig mattress, a bed for plus-sized sleepers with great edge support and responsiveness.
Compare the Helix Mattress to Other Options
Other Helix Mattress Reviews
- Birch Mattress
- Helix Dawn Mattress
- Helix Dusk Mattress
- Helix Kids Mattress
- Helix Midnight Mattress
- Helix Midnight Luxe Mattress
- Helix Moonlight Mattress
- Helix Sunset Mattress
- Helix Twilight Mattress
Helix Plus FAQs
Does Helix have a referral program?
For every friend you refer who ends up buying the mattress, you get a $50 Amazon gift card and your friend gets $125 off their mattress purchase + 2 FREE Dream Pillows.
How does the Helix color-match system work?
Helix partnered with leading researchers and experts on sleep ergonomics to design a quiz that can pair you with a mattress that supports your body type and sleeping style.
Using their informative Sleep Quiz, Helix combines your biological needs for pressure relief and support with your comfort preferences to recommend the perfect mattress model for you!
Do I need to flip the Helix mattress?
You should not flip your Helix mattress, as your personalized construction is built on top of a supportive base layer. Make sure the blue fabric is at the bottom part of the mattress, with the white on top. The order of the layers in your Helix Mattress is critical to maintaining the integrity of your individual design.
Does the Helix Plus have a break-in period?
You need up to 30 days to break in your new Helix mattress. During the break-in period, both your body and your new mattress will get used to one another.
Can I finance my Helix Plus?
You can finance your Helix through Klarna*. To take advantage of financing options, select “Pay With Klarna” at checkout, follow the prompts, and enter some basic information for an instant loan decision. You can get approved for a rate as low as 0% APR. Financing is also available through Katapult.
Keep in mind, financing your mattress disqualifies you for using other discounts or promotional offers.
*Residents of West Virginia and New Hampshire are not eligible for financing through Klarna.
How long can I leave my Helix Plus in the box?
You should make sure that you unbox your Helix within the first two weeks of receiving your package. Spending too much time in the packaging can affect the resilience of the mattress, preventing it from taking its full shape.