Helix Sunset Mattress Review
By clicking on the product links in this article, Mattress Advisor may receive a commission fee at no cost to you, the reader. Read full disclosure statement.
The Helix Sunset mattress is a plush soft hybrid bed, great for side sleepers who enjoy the sinking feeling of foam. Helix allows you to tailor your mattress to your specific sleep experience, so if Sunset isn’t the mattress for you, there are 12 other beds to choose from.
Who Is the Sunset Mattress Best for?
|Sunset is best for:||Sunset may not be best for:|
Helix crafts mattresses tailored to every body shape and sleeping position. The Helix Sunset mattress is their softest bed, with a plush feel perfect for anyone who finds most mattresses too firm. In this review, we’ll share how the Sunset performed during our in-house testing, its pros and cons, price point, and more so you can determine if it’s the best mattress for you.
Read More: Helix Mattress Reviews
What We Like:
- The Sunset is the softest Helix mattress, delivering a cloud-like feel ideal for side sleepers.
- Sunset offers good alignment no matter what sleeping position you end up in, earning it an 8.5/10 in our lab test.
- If you find the Sunset too soft or too firm, Helix will send you a free topper to help you get the best night’s sleep.
Our expert review team got to test the Helix Sunset in our mattress lab. We evaluated this bed based on 14 weighted factors important to you in both the buying process and the sleep experience. See how well this bed did below and check out our review process.
|Mattress Advisor Test||Score (Out of 10)|
⭐Total Score for the Sunset Mattress: 8.5/10⭐
Pros and Cons
- Cooling: Helix Sunset features a mattress cover optimized for breathability and a system of pocketed coil, creating great airflow.
- Durability: Thanks to the thick foam layers and sturdy coils, this bed should last you for years to come.
- Alignment: This bed provides a nearly straight spine for side sleepers and a decently straight spine for stomach sleepers, helping you wake up without back pain from your mattress.
- Motion Transfer: Motion isolation is not the Helix Sunset’s strength. Our sleep testers felt the most movement when their sleep partner got in and out of bed versus when they were tossing and turning.
- Edge Support: The plush top layers of the Sunset mattress are comfortable, but they don’t provide great edge support.
Having a mattress that gives you good spine alignment helps with back pain in the morning because it offers you good posture at night. We looked at spinal alignment while side and back sleeping on the Helix Sunset mattress.
We saw average alignment when we lay on our stomachs. Our hips didn’t sink deep enough for a perfectly flat back, but we got pretty close.
On our sides, it got even better. Our hips and shoulders sunk into the mattress just enough to create a line that was almost perfectly straight. The only thing that stopped us was that our hips sank slightly deepers than our shoulders.
We test pressure relief using a heat map in our lab. The coolers colors, such as blue and green, indicate little to no pressure. Warmer colors, like yellow and red, indicate areas of higher pressure.
Our male and female tester lay on their back, side, and stomach to see how the Sunset dealt with pressure on each.
Both of our testers saw great pressure relief on their back and stomachs.
However, the issue came in when they lay on their sides. Most of the pressure was concentrated on the shoulders and chest. The hips saw decent relief. This means side sleepers who suffer from shoulder pain should probably check out a different Helix mattress.
If you find yourself changing positions often at night, responsiveness is a major feature to look for in your mattress. When we lay on the Sunset mattress to change positions, we noticed that it was very easy to get comfortable quickly in each position.
However, we also noticed that it was difficult to transfer from stomach to side because of the plush foam on top of the mattress.
Overall, we gave Sunset an 8.25/10 for this area.
The Helix Sunset is a soft mattress, with a firmness level that falls between a 2–3 on the 1–10 firmness scale. It’s one of the softest hybrid mattresses that you’ll find.
Is It Good for Your Sleeping Position?
The Helix Sunset works for most sleeping positions. Here’s what we think:
- Side sleepers with shoulder pain would not be best for this mattress, but it works well for most side sleepers thanks to its spinal alignment and pressure relief in your hips. If you have shoulder pain, check out our other recommendations for the best mattress for side sleepers.
- Back sleepers and stomach sleepers typically don’t mesh well with plush mattresses, but Helix Sunset offers enough support to keep their spines in line. If you’re a heavier sleeper, you may want to look at some of our other top mattress for stomach sleepers picks and back sleeper mattresses.
- Most combination sleepers will enjoy the responsiveness level of the Sunset—just not if you’re a side/stomach combo sleeper. If you are, look at our other recommendations for the best mattresses for combo sleepers.
How Good Is It for Cooling?
We found the Helix Sunset to offer decent temperature regulation. It has a breathable cover paired with innerspring coils. These two airflow factors keep your body heat from getting too trapped in the foam. However, it is not the world’s coolest mattress. The cooling factors are about average.
Body Type Support
Helix mattresses are designed to support people who weigh up to 500 pounds. However, heavier people find mattresses softer than lighter people. Because the Sunset mattress has an ultra-plush feel, it will be too soft for most plus-size people. If you weigh more than 230 pounds, you’re likely to experience sagging on a mattress this soft.
Compatible Bed Frames
The Sunset needs a firm and sturdy base for optimal comfort and longevity. Good options include slatted bases with slats no more than five inches apart, adjustable bases, and platform bed frames. Helix does not recommend using a box spring unless you use a bunkie board on top for added support.
A Look Inside
The Sunset is a four-layer hybrid mattress with a plush feel thanks to contouring foam layers. Let’s take a closer look at how each layer influences the feel of the bed.
- Helix Soft Touch Design Mattress Cover: A soft cover that supports optimal breathability for a cool sleeping surface.
- Memory Plus Foam Comfort Layer: A top layer of ultra-soft memory foam creates a cloud-like feel that generously cushions pressure points.
- Helix Dynamic Foam Transition Layer: A soft polyfoam with a low IFD for extra cushioning.
- Pocketed Coil Support Layer: A supportive layer of individually-encased coils for responsiveness and ergonomic support.
- DuraDense Foam: A base layer of high-density polyfoam absorbs motion and boosts durability.
Sunset Mattress Sizes, Dimensions, and Pricing
|Twin||38” x 75” x 12”||$699|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 12”||$799|
|Full||54” x 75” x 12”||$949|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 12”||$1,099|
|King||76” x 80” x 12”||$1,449|
|Cal King||72” x 84” x 12”||$1,449|
*Prices do not reflect exclusive offers or discounts. Click below to see the best price for the Sunset mattress. Click here for other Helix Mattress Coupons.
Is It Easy to Set Up?
Sunset comes in a rectangular box that is about four feet tall. It took us about a minute and a half to unbox and set up the Helix Sunset. The coils make it pretty heavy, so we recommend tapping in a partner to help you out. The mattress off-gassing was pretty average and went away in a few hours.
Ready to buy the Sunset mattress? Here’s what you can expect.
|Delivery||Ships free and arrives to your door within 6-10 business days|
|Trial Period||100 nights|
|Return Policy||Free returns during trial period|
|Financing||Available through Klarna or Katapult|
Delivering Your Mattress
Helix mattresses are made to order in the USA, which means longer than average shipping times. Your new bed ships free and will arrive at your doorstep in 6–10 business days.*
*Current shipping times may vary due to COVID-19. Check on Helix’s website or contact their customer service team for current delivery times.
Helix wants to ensure that you find the best mattress for you. Every Helix mattress comes backed by an industry-standard 100-night sleep trial that starts the day you receive your new bed.
Helix doesn’t accept returns until you’ve had your mattress for 30 nights to ensure that your body has had time to adjust to the new feel. After 30 days, simply contact their customer service team to initiate a refund. They offer full refunds, so there’s no risk to seeing if the Sunset is the mattress you’ve been dreaming of!
The Helix Sunset mattress comes with a 10-year warranty, the average warranty for a bed-in-a-box mattress. During this time, you’re covered if something goes wrong with your mattress that’s considered a defect in materials or workmanship. This includes cracks and indentations of greater than 1”, among other things.
To initiate a warranty claim, send an email to email@example.com.
Helix Customer Service
To get in touch with Helix, you can use phone, chat, or email from 10am to 6pm EST, Monday to Friday. Here’s how.
- Visit helixsleep.com and use the live chat feature.
- Schedule a call on their website.
- Use a contact form for email correspondence.
During COVID-19, Helix has been receiving a higher than normal request and purchase volume. As a result, it can take weeks to schedule a phone call with a Helix representative. We recommend using the live chat feature or email, although we’ve had to wait days for a response using both methods.
Returning a Helix mattress is as simple as returning a purchase from Amazon. If you decide that the Sunset isn’t the right bed for you, contact Helix’s customer service department during your 100-night trial period. They’ll work with you to find a local charity to come to your door and pick up the mattress—so you won’t need to worry about stuffing it back into its original box!
You’ll receive a refund only after the mattress has been successfully donated.
Should You Buy the Sunset Mattress?
Now it’s time to figure out if the Helix Sunset is the bed you want to buy. Let’s review who we think would (and wouldn’t) love the Sunset mattress.
You will probably love the Sunset if
- You are a person who enjoys sinking into the mattress.
- You suffer from back pain.
- You enjoy the feel of a traditional mattress with coils.
You should keep shopping if
- You prefer sleeping on top pf the mattress.
- You are a plus-sized sleeper.
- You prefer the feel of a memory foam mattress.
If you fall into the “keep shopping category,” we recommend the Layla mattress.
See How Sunset Compares
Helix Sunset vs Other Hybrid Mattresses
The Helix Sunset stands out from the average hybrid mattress thanks to two features: its price and its softness. The Sunset is one of the most affordable luxury hybrid beds that we’ve seen, even when compared to other bed-in-a-box mattresses. As for its feel, the Sunset is incredibly plush while still being supportive enough for most people. There are few hybrid mattresses that are as soft as the Sunset.
Helix Sunset vs Other Helix Mattresses
Helix manufactures two mattress lines and one organic mattress. Here’s how the Sunset compares to Helix’s other beds.
The Sunset vs the Standard Helix Mattress Collection
Helix’s budget-friendly mattress line consists of seven hybrid mattresses designed for different sleeping positions, body types, and firmness preferences. Each of these mattresses is 12 inches thick (other than the Plus) and contains a support layer of pocketed coils. The top two layers are made from a variety of memory foams and polyurethane foams with different densities and feels crafted for specific sleepers.
Take a look at how the Sunset stacks up when compared to the other standard Helix beds.
- Sunset vs Moonlight: The Helix Moonlight and Sunset mattresses are both perfect for soft mattress lovers, but they’re designed for different sleeping positions. The Moonlight is better for stomach and back sleepers and the Sunset for side sleepers. The Sunset has a deeper hugging feel and the Moonlight a balanced contouring.
- Sunset vs Midnight: The Helix Midnight and Sunset beds are both intended for side sleepers, but their firmness levels are different. The Sunset is a soft mattress and the Midnight a medium firmness bed. The Sunset is better for lightweight side sleepers and the Midnight for the average side sleeper.
- Sunset vs Dusk: The Helix Dusk is firmer and has a more balanced foam feel while the Sunset is softer with a plush cradling surface. The Dusk works better for back and stomach sleepers and the Sunset for those who sleep on their sides.
- Sunset vs Twilight: The Helix Twilight is one of few firm beds created for side sleepers, while the Sunset is one of the softest mattresses around. The added support of the Twilight is great for plus size sleepers while the Sunset’s marshmallow-y surface works well for people who weigh less than 130 pounds.
- Sunset vs Dawn: The Helix Dawn is a firm bed with a surface that makes you feel like you’re sleeping “on” the bed, while the Sunset is a plush mattress that allows the body to comfortably sink in. The Sunset is perfect for soft mattress lovers and the Dawn for firm bed aficionados.
- Sunset vs Plus: The Helix Plus, formerly the Nightfall, was created for plus-size sleepers. It boasts an additional layer of high-density memory foam for exceptional support and pressure relief. The Plus has a medium firmness while the Sunset is soft. The Sunset is a better fit for lightweight people and the Plus for plus-size individuals.
Still not sure which Helix mattress is right for you? Take their sleep quiz and you’ll be matched with your perfect fit!
The Sunset vs Helix LUXE Mattress Collection
Every one of the original Helix mattresses outlined above comes in a more luxurious option in the Helix LUXE mattress collection. For instance, the Sunset also comes in the Sunset LUXE, with the LUXE providing a more lavish sleeping experience.
Here’s what makes the Helix LUXE models more luxurious.
- Tencel Mattress Cover: All-natural Tencel fibers are woven together for an even softer, cooler mattress cover.
- Premium Pillow Top: The LUXE mattresses each have a quilted pillow top that brings the feel of a 5-star hotel mattress to your bedroom.
- Additional Comfort Layer: One more layer of foam atop the innerspring support core adds even more contouring.
- Zoned Lumbar Support: The innerspring coil layer of the LUXE mattresses is zoned, meaning there are more supportive springs under the lumbar region of the body and softer springs at the shoulders. Zoned coils create balanced support and cushion from head-to-toe, providing exceptional pain relief and spinal alignment.
- Extra-Sturdy Edges: The reinforced perimeter is even stronger in the LUXE mattresses.
The Sunset vs the Birch
The Helix Birch is an eco-friendly mattress made from natural and organic materials. Made from cotton, wool, latex, and steel, the Birch is a medium-firm mattress with a balanced feel. The Sunset is made from memory foam, polyfoam, and coils for a plush mattress with a deep cradling feel. The Sunset is much softer than the Birch, and it’s also more affordable. Check out our Birch mattress review to learn more about this all-natural bed.
Do I need to rotate my mattress?
Helix states that you do not need to rotate your mattress as they’re built to last for many years of use. However, you can do so to extend its lifespan. Simply rotate 180° every six months to a year.
Can I remove the mattress cover?
No, the mattress cover is not removable. If you need to clean it, simply spot clean and air dry. To protect your mattress from stains and other damage, we recommend using a waterproof mattress cover.
Does the Helix Sunset contain toxic fire retardant chemicals?
No, Helix uses a silica fire retardant fabric, a fiber made from bamboo, to protect the mattress from fire while safeguarding your health.
By clicking on the product links in this article, Mattress Advisor may receive a commission fee at no cost to you, the reader. Read full disclosure statement.