IDLE Sleep Hybrid Mattress Review
IDLE Sleep Hybrid Mattress Review
✔️Last updated: June 2022
|✔️Customer Rating: 4.5/5|
|✔️Mattress Advisor Score: 8.3/10|
|✔️Firmness: Medium, Luxury-Firm|
|✔️Free Shipping & Returns|
|✔️18-Month Sleep Trial|
The bottom line: The IDLE Sleep Hybrid mattress is a flippable mattress whose two firmness levels work for every sleep position. With one of the most generous sleep trials we’ve ever come across and a lifetime warranty, IDLE Sleep stands behind their product and customer satisfaction.
Note: IDLE Sleep has gone out of business and the IDLE Sleep Hybrid is no longer available. If you’re interested in a comparable mattress, please see our Puffy Lux Hybrid mattress review.
Who Is the IDLE Sleep Hybrid Mattress Best for?
|IDLE Sleep Hybrid is best for:||IDLE Sleep Hybrid may not be best for:|
The IDLE Sleep Hybrid mattress is one of the best flippable mattresses for adults and an all-around great bed. In this review, we’re going to delve into everything you need to know to decide if this is the best mattress for you—including pros and cons, who it’s best for, what to expect during the purchasing process, and more.
What we love about the IDLE Sleep Hybrid:
- The IDLE Sleep Hybrid mattress features Quantum Edge-to-Edge Support. The coils run all the way to the edges of the mattress providing excellent edge support, so you will not get a “roll off the bed” feeling.
- This hybrid mattress also features Thermocool™ fabric, which is designed to work with the body’s natural thermal capabilities through smart fiber cross-sections. Thermocool fabric works in conjunction with IDLE Cooling Buoyancy Foam, which is made without visco-elastic chemicals, so it stays cool and provides pressure relief.
- This mattress is offered at two firmness options: medium and luxury firm.
- The IDLE Sleep is two-sided for an enhanced mattress durability. With this flippable mattress, you can opt for both sides to be the same firmness or have one side medium and the other luxury-firm.
We evaluated the IDLE Sleep Hybrid mattress at our in-house testing facility to help our readers know what to expect. Our total score is a weighted score taking each of the following factors into consideration. You can learn more about our review process here.
|Mattress Advisor Test||Score (Out of 10)|
⭐Total Score for the IDLE Sleep Hybrid Mattress: 8.3/10⭐
IDLE Sleep Hybrid Mattress Performance Highlights
- Durability: With high-quality materials and a flippable design, this maddress is likely to last many years. Thanks to its dual-sided design, the IDLE hybrid boasts double the sleeping surface of most of its competitors. When you regularly flip your new mattress, it lessens the risk of body impressions or excess sagging. For this reason, we rated the IDLE Sleep Hybrid 9/10 for durability.
- Pressure Relief: We found IDLE’s layers of proprietary foam to cushion pressure points while the 1000 individually encased coils provided responsive support. Our sleep testers enjoyed the melting away of pressure without sacrificing support.
- Responsiveness: Thanks to IDLE’s Buoyancy Foam and 6” of innerspring resilience, this bed is ultra-responsive. When we moved around on the IDLE Sleep, we never felt stuck. This responsiveness makes it simple to change from one position to the next, essential for combination sleepers to get a good night’s rest.
- Cooling: The best hybrid mattresses are known to sleep cooler than all-foam mattresses, and the IDLE Sleep Hybrid is no exception. We found the Thermocool Fabric refreshingly cool to the touch, and with cooling foam technology and a breathable innerspring core, even the hottest sleepers can find relief on the IDLE mattress.
- Dual-Sided Firmness Option: Not long ago, almost every mattress was dual-sided, meaning you could sleep on either side of the mattress. IDLE Sleep’s mattresses are all flippable, and the hybrid offers dual-sided firmness options. Dual firmness enables changing firmness needs.
- Trial Period and Warranty: IDLE’s 18-month sleep trial and lifetime warranty are some of the most generous policies that we’ve come across. When you buy a mattress from IDLE, you can rest easily knowing you have time to ensure that you love it. And if you do, you’ll have a warranty that lasts a lifetime.
- Our sleep testers could easily feel when one another moved. And when we balanced a glass of wine on one side of the mattress, it came close to spilling when we repositioned. What these tests show is that the IDLE Sleep allows some motion transfer. While solo sleepers and sound sleepers won’t mind, light sleepers who share the bed will. Fortunately, the IDLE hybrid comes in a split king option. The split design dramatically reduces motion transfer, and it even allows you and your partner to opt for different firmness options.
- The IDLE Sleep Hybrid is not soft enough for those who like an ultra-plush mattress. Even their softed option, the medium, comes in around a 5-6 on the 1-10 firmness scale. For lightweight side sleepers and others who need ample cushion, the IDLE Sleep may not be soft enough.
- Outside of using CertiPUR-US certified foams, the IDLE materials are not especially eco-friendly. When we reviewed IDLE’s materials and policies, we rated them a 2/10 for social impact.
Still not sure if the IDLE Sleep Hybrid is the best mattress for you? We’re here to help with specifics like what sleeping positions this mattress suits best, how hot it sleeps, and more.
How Firm is the IDLE Sleep Hybrid Mattress?
The IDLE Sleep comes in two firmness options:
- The medium option scores a 5-6 on the 1-10 firmness scale. The medium feel pairs cushion with support. Our sleep testers experienced a gentle hug without excess sinkage. And with bouncy support, it was easy to move from one position to the next. This option suits more back, side, and combination sleepers.
- The luxury firm option is very firm, scoring a 9 on the 1-10 firmness scale. Expect slight pressure relief and a feeling of sleeping “on” rather than “in” the mattress. This ultra-firm bed is great for stomach sleepers and heavyweight sleepers.
If you’re not sure which firmness level best fits your needs, you can choose dual-sided firmness. One side of the mattress will be medium while the other is luxury firm.
What Sleeping Position Does the IDLE Sleep Hybrid Support?
Thanks to the two firmness levels, the IDLE Sleep Hybrid is great for all sleeping positions. The medium model is great for side sleepers, back sleepers, and combination sleepers, while the luxury firm suits stomach sleepers and back sleepers who like a firm bed. If you want to compare to similar mattresses for each of these sleeping positions, check out our guides below.
Does the IDLE Sleep Hybrid Sleep Hot?
When we examined the IDLE mattress, we found it to sleep rather cool. The Thermocool fabric is cool to the touch, and the Cool Buoyancy Foam and layer of innerspring coils also promote temperature neutrality. While it’s not quite as cool as the best innerspring mattress, it’s much cooler than the average memory foam bed and on par with other cooling hybrid mattresses.
How Much Weight Does the IDLE Sleep Hybrid Mattress Support?
IDLE mattresses do not have a set weight limit. When we spoke to an IDLE representative, we were told that a good rule of thumb is that their mattresses can withstand a combined weight of 800-1,000 pounds.
We love the IDLE hybrid mattress for heavier sleepers. Thanks to an inner-layer of supportive coils and proprietary foam that is at once incredibly supportive and pressure-relieving, we found very little sinkage when lying on the mattress. This combination makes the IDLE ideal for sleepers who weigh more than 230 pounds.
What Foundations or Bed Frames Can be Used with the IDLE Sleep Hybrid?
The IDLE Sleep Hybrid mattress will work on any firm, flat, or adjustable surface. This includes a traditional box spring and foundation, slatted bed frames, platform beds, adjustable bases, or even the floor.
What is the IDLE Sleep Hybrid Made of?
The IDLE mattress is a double-sided hybrid made using foam layers on top and bottom of an innerspring coil support center. The comfort layers are the same on each side when you opt for the same firmness level on each and different in feel when you go with one side medium and the other luxury-firm.
- Thermocool Fabric Cover: The Thermocool fabric cover is designed to compliment your body’s natural thermal regulation, keeping you cool when you are too hot, and warm when you are too cold.
- Natural Fire Barrier: IDLE uses an all-natural fire barrier underneath the cover. Unlike chemical fire barriers, natural fire barriers are free from toxic compounds hazardous to health.
- 1” IDLE Quilting Foam: The top layer of IDLE foam is ultra-plush, quilted into the cover for added softness and comfort where you need it the most.
- 2″ IDLE Cooling Buoyancy Foam: Cooling Buoyancy Foam technology is what sets the IDLE hybrid mattress apart from its competitors. This proprietary foam is more supportive than memory foam while offering similar pressure relief. It quickly adapts to movements and doesn’t retain excess body heat. According to IDLE, their Cooling Buoyancy Foam offers up to 4x better pressure relief than memory foam.
- 1” Supportive Transition Foam: For the ultimate in body contouring, this layer of high-density foam hugs the body, protecting it from the innerspring coil system.
- 6″ Quantum Edge-To-Edge Pocketed Coils: 1,000 smart coils provide world-class support throughout the mattress. The edge-to-edge support means you will not get a “roll out of the bed” feeling when sleeping close to the edge of the mattress.
IDLE Sleep Hybrid Mattress Sizes, Dimensions, and Pricing
|Twin||75” x 38” x 14”||80 lbs.||$1,041|
|Twin XL||80” x 38” x 14”||87 lbs.||$1,105|
|Full||75” x 54” x 14”||111 lbs.||$1,320|
|Queen||80” x 60” x 14”||130 lbs.||$1,420|
|King||80” x 76” x 14”||150 lbs.||$1,848|
|Cal King||84” x 72” x 14”||150 lbs.||$1,848|
|Split King||80” x 76” x 14”||174 lbs.||$1,999|
*Prices do not reflect exclusive offers or discounts. Click below to see the best price for the IDLE Sleep mattress.
IDLE Sleep Hybrid Mattress Unboxing
When we received the IDLE Sleep mattress, it was compressed in a tall, thin box. In comparison to other foam hybrid mattresses, the IDLE Sleep has impressively little off-gassing odor and puffs up to size quickly. Consequently, we found the IDLE mattress ready to sleep on shortly after arrival.
Learn what to expect when you buy a new mattress from IDLE.
|Delivery||Free shipping; arrives in 4-10 business days|
|Trial Period||18-month sleep trial|
|Return Policy||Free returns|
|Financing||Available through SatisFi|
IDLE Sleep Hybrid Mattress Shipping and Delivery
Every IDLE Sleep mattress is made-to-order. Once you place your order, your new bed ships within 1-4 business days. Shipping through UPS is free and takes an additional 3-6 business days. You can expect to receive your new mattress in 4-10 business days.
For an additional fee, IDLE offers White Glove Delivery. A third-party company they partner with can set up a new mattress and remove an old one for $149. That way you won’t have to worry about the heavy lifting! Keep in mind that White Glove Delivery takes an additional 1-2 weeks for shipping.
IDLE Sleep Hybrid Mattress Sleep Trial
IDLE Sleep has the longest sleep trial that we’ve come across. Unlike the majority of bed-in-a-box companies that offer 100-night sleep trials, IDLE Sleep gives you a full 18 months to try out their mattress.
With over 500 nights to sleep on a new mattress, customers can experience it in different seasons. It also gives shoppers a chance to ensure that there aren’t any body impressions or wear-and-tear after 18 months of use. Their incredibly long trial tells us that they’re serious about providing their customers with the mattress of their dreams.
IDLE Sleep Hybrid Mattress Warranty
IDLE Sleep’s limited lifetime warranty is just as great as it sounds. Not only is this the longest warranty available, but it covers even more than most other mattress companies we’ve come across. For instance, indentations of greater than 1” are covered for as long as you own the mattress. Most companies offer coverage of indentations greater than 1.5” for just 10 years.
To submit a claim, contact their customer service either by phone or email.
IDLE Sleep Hybrid Mattress Customer Service
It’s easy to contact IDLE Sleep. You can:
- Email them at email@example.com.
- Call or text them at 1-888-488-4353 from 8 AM to 11 PM EST any day of the week.
- Use their live chat feature at idlesleep.com (same hours as above).
We’ve found the IDLE team to be helpful and friendly. Here’s what customers have to say:
- “The website for ordering was easy to navigate and I had all of my questions about the bed answered immediately by the convenient chat option.” -Kylie W.
- “Delivery and set up was a breeze.” -Ayesha Y.
- “Idle Sleep makes an excellent mattress, not to mention their great customer service.” -Joseph
IDLE Sleep Hybrid Mattress Return Policy
IDLE Sleep makes returns simple with their no-questions-asked return policy. Simply call or email them to initiate a return within 18 months of receiving your new mattress. There is no fee and they offer full refunds (minus the optional White Glove Delivery fee).
- “I haven’t slept so well in years. I’m a side sleeper and used to wake up with sore hips. This mattress doesn’t give me any sore spots and I wake up feeling much more rested. It’s hard to want to leave bed though!” -Lauren R.
- “Even though I’ve only slept a couple of nights on this I have to say I’m really impressed. Edge support is supreme. I’m sleeping extremely well and no backache or restless legs. My hot sweaty nights seem non-existent. I’m beyond happy and looking forward to many years of peaceful sleep.” -Ben P.
- ‘In a word: Wow! My wife and I both have back issues, and this bed has provided the firmness and support we need to a tee. Thank you!” -Mark P.
- “Our back pain is gone, we absolutely love our new Idle mattress. Exactly what they said it would be and then some. Unpacking was a breeze and no funky smell!!” -Becky P.
How often should I flip my IDLE Sleep Hybrid?
For the best performance, flip your IDLE hybrid 2-3 times each year.
Do I need to use a mattress protector on my new IDLE mattress?
It is a good idea to use a waterproof mattress protector with any new mattress. Mattress protectors safeguard beds from spills and other accidents that can void the warranty.
What is a split king mattress?
IDLE’s split king mattress is two twin XL mattresses. Some couples sleep on split king beds so they can each have their own firmness level and to limit motion transfer. To get the greatest customizable benefits, pair your IDLE split king with the IDLE adjustable base.
Can I try out an IDLE mattress at a physical store?
No, IDLE Sleep does not have their mattresses at any brick-and-mortar retail location. By eliminating middle men and showroom costs, IDLE Sleep offers a luxury mattress at a more affordable price point.