Idle Sleep Latex Mattress Review
Idle Sleep Latex Mattress Review
✔️Last updated: February 2022
|✔️Customer Rating: 4.7/5|
|✔️Mattress Advisor Score: 8.6/10|
|✔️Free Shipping & Returns|
|✔️18-Month Sleep Trial|
The bottom line: The Idle Sleep Latex Hybrid mattress is an eco-friendly bed with multiple firmness options. This two-sided mattress comes in a medium firmness and a luxury firm option, so it works for all body types. Pair that with an 18-month sleep trial and lifetime warranty, and you’ve got a great mattress.
Note: Idle Sleep has gone out of business and the Idle Latex Hybrid is no longer available. If you’re interested in a comparably rated latex-innerspring hybrid, please see our GhostBed Classic mattress review.
Who Is the Idle Sleep Latex Best for?
|Idle Sleep Latex is best for:||Idle Sleep Latex may not be best for:|
Idle Sleep makes mattresses of all kinds, including memory foam mattress models and a hybrid mattress. Today, we’re reviewing our experience with the latex model. See how this flippable bed-in-a-box mattress performed in our lab test, and read through our comprehensive review to see if this is the best mattress for you.
Highlighting the best things:
- The Idle Latex Hybrid is a two-sided mattress where you can opt to get different firmness levels on each side.
- This bed is an eco-conscious shopper’s dream with natural organic cotton, wool, and latex layers.
- Idle Sleep offers one of the longest trial period and warranty combination we’ve seen: an 18-month trial and a lifetime warranty.
We brought the Idle Latex Hybrid to our in-house mattress lab to test how it performs in 14 different areas. Each factor is scored out of 10. Check out how it did below, and learn more about our review process.
|Mattress Advisor Test||Score (Out of 10)|
⭐Total Score for the Idle Sleep Latex Mattress: 8.6/10⭐
The Pros and Cons
- Pressure Relief: The Latex mattress provides great pressure relief for back and stomach sleepers, and decent relief for side sleepers. Keep in mind that we tested the dunlop latex mattress; talalay is better for side sleepers.
- Cooling: The latex mattress is packed with cooling layers, including a breathable cover, naturally cool latex, and a system of pocketed coils that add airflow.
- Durability: Latex mattresses are among the most durable kind of mattress, so your Idle bed is sure to last it’s entire lifespan with proper care.
- Spinal Alignment: Because we tested the dunlop mattress, the back and stomach alignment was nearly perfect while the side alignment was decent. Side sleepers should opt for the talalay option.
- Setup: This was hands down one of the heaviest mattresses we’ve ever tested. We definitely suggested tapping in a partner or two to help unbox and set up this beast.
- Cost: Natural latex beds are on the pricier side compared to innerspring and memory foam mattresses. However, they also tend to last longer.
It’s clear by the score that we were very impressed with the Latex Hybrid’s edge support. We tested this first by lying on the mattress to see how supported we felt and how much we sunk. As we lay there, we felt a solid base: there was no fear of slipping off.
Then, we tested the edge support while sitting down and putting on a pair of shoes. There was a slight dip under our weight, but we still felt very supported, almost like sitting in a large, plush armchair.
Unfortunately, we were not as impressed with its motion isolation. How much motion is transferred across the surface of the mattress is important to people who sleep with a partner that is easily woken.
In our human test, we had one tester wear a sleep mask as a blind fold while the other shifted positions, entered the mattress, and got up from the mattress. We then switched. After we both had a chance to feel how much motion was transferred, we moved on to the wine test.
The wine test really gave us a chance to see all of the motion we had felt in the human test. See how much the wine sloshes around the glass? That is what you feel as your sleep partner moves.
Responsiveness is a measure of how quickly your mattress can adjust to your movements for your comfort and how easy or hard it is to move on the mattress’s surface. Because latex foam tends to be very bouncy and buoyant, the Idle Latex mattress had great responsiveness: it was easy to move and very cozy.
The Idle Sleep Latex comes in two comfort level options: Luxury firm and medium. The luxury-firm firmness level is an 8/10 on the firmness scale, a great option for stomach and back sleepers or people who weigh over 300 pounds. The medium is a 6.5 out of 10, making it more of a medium-firm, great for all sleep positions and light to average weight adults.
Which Sleep Positions Work Best with the IDLE Sleep Latex Mattress?
Thanks to the customizable firmness and great responsiveness, this mattress works for all sleeping positions:
- This is a great mattress for combination sleepers because they get the responsiveness they need not to feel stuck at night.
- It is also a good back sleeper mattress and stomach sleeper mattress who get the pressure relief and alignment of a firm mattress.
- Finally, it is a good mattress option for side sleepers who should nicely sink into the talalay latex option.
There are lots of great cooling materials in the Idle Sleep Latex Hybrid, starting with the breathable organic cotton cover. The coil system also gives you ample airflow throughout the bed. Finally, latex foam is a naturally cooling (a common material used in the best cooling mattresses) and hypoallergenic material, keeping you from overheating.
Is There a Weight Limit?
There is not a set weight limit for the Idle Latex mattress. Due to the durable materials and customizable firmness options, we think this bed would be great for all body types.
Lightweight sleepers and average weight sleepers who want to sink into the bed should choose the medium-firm, while heavyweight sleepers and those who want to sleep on top of their mattress should choose the luxury firm.
What Type of Base Works Best with the Mattress?
The Idle Latex bed works best with a foundation that provides even support. This includes platform bases, slatted platforms, box springs, the floor, and adjustable bases.
What Makes up the Mattress?
Idle Sleep Latex is a flippable latex hybrid mattress. You can choose between talalay latex and dunlop latex. You can also choose between luxury firm, medium-firm on both sides, or one side with each firmness level.
- Mattress Cover: This cover is made with organic cotton and woven to be breathable.
- Comfort Layer: The comfort layer is made of natural wool which not only adds softness, but is a fire barrier as well.
- Natural Latex Layer: This will be dunlop or talalay latex depending on your preference. Latex foam adds support, breathability, and responsiveness.
- Coil Support Layer: Acts as a transition layer between the latex foam and the coil system.
- Pocketed Coil Layer: Provides motion isolation, and extra support.
- Second Coil Support Layer
- Second Latex Layer
- Second Comfort Layer
Idle Sleep Latex Mattress Sizes, Dimensions, and Pricing
|Twin||38” x 75” x 14”||100 lbs.||$1,212|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 14”||100 lbs.||$1,284|
|Full||54” x 75” x 14”||125 lbs.||$1,998|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 14”||150+ lbs.||$2,141|
|King||76” x 80” x 14”||150+ lbs.||$2,427|
|Cal King||72” x 84” x 14”||150+ lbs.||$2,427|
|Split King||76” x 80” x 14”||200 lbs.||$2,498|
*Prices will vary based on the type of latex you choose and do not reflect exclusive offers or discounts. Click below to see the best price for the Idle Sleep Latex mattress.
It took us almost three and a half minutes to get the Idle Latex bed unboxed. This mattress was heavy: over 150 pounds for a queen size. We even had to take a small break in the middle. Make sure you have help as you set this bed up.
On the bright side, there was nearly no off-gassing once this mattress was open: the perks of a natural mattress.
|Delivery||Free delivery; arrives in|
|Trial Period||18 months|
|Return Policy||Free returns|
|Financing||Available through SatisFi|
Getting Your Bed-in-a-Box
The Idle Sleep mattresses arrive on your doorstep, compressed into a tall box. It ships free to anywhere in the continental U.S. and should arrive in four to 10 business days. Idle does offer white glove delivery and mattress removal for a fee of $125.
Unfortunately, Idle does not ship to Alaska or Hawaii.
Exploring the Sleep Trial
Idle believes that the best place to try out your mattress is right there in your bedroom. They offer one of the longest trial periods we’ve ever seen: 18 months. That’s a year and a half you get to try out your new mattress and make sure you love it.
Paired with their long sleep trial, Idle also gives you a forever warranty which they call “a warranty without end.” It protects against all manufacturer defects, sagging, and body impressions you get from normal use.
This is a full replacement warranty, so if you need to file a claim, Idle will repair or replace your mattress completely free of charge.
Idle Sleep Customer Service
Contact Idle Sleep’s customer service team by either live chatting with the customer service team on their website, call (888) 488-4353, fill out a contact form on the site, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
They are available every day from 8 a.m. to 11 p.m. EST.
What’s the Return Policy?
You can return your mattress for free any time for any reason during the 18-month trial period. To start the return process, live chat with a representative on their website or shoot them an email. They will help you either donate or recycle your bed by coming and picking it up. After this process is over, you will receive a full refund.
Should You Buy the Idle Sleep Latex Hybrid Mattress?
It’s time to see if the Idle Sleep Latex mattress is the bed you’ve been looking for.
We think you’ll love it if
- You toss and turn often.
- You like the idea of picking your mattress construction.
- You sleep hot.
- You have allergies.
- You like to buy eco-friendly products.
- You’re a plus-sized sleeper.
You may want to keep shopping if
- You sleep with someone else.
- You prefer the feel of a memory foam mattress.
- You’re a senior who has trouble lifting heavy objects.
See How Idle Sleep Latex Compares
- Idle Gel Foam vs Idle Latex: The Idle Sleep Foam mattress is a gel-infused memory foam bed. It offers better motion isolation than the latex mattress, but the latex has better responsiveness. Read our full Idle Sleep Gel Foam mattress review.
- Idle Hybrid vs Idle Latex: The Idle Sleep Hybrid mattress also offers dual-sided firmness options. The Idle Hybrid offers better alignment for side sleepers while the Latex Hybrid has better responsiveness. Read our full Idle Sleep Hybrid mattress review.
What’s the difference between talalay and dunlop latex?
Talalay latex is more soft while dunlop is denser. Dunlop offers more support, but talalay offers better pressure relief. Talalay is better for side sleepers while dunlop is better for back and stomach sleepers.
Is this bed eco-friendly?
This bed is full of eco-friendly, natural materials including an organic cotton cover, naturally hypoallergenic and antimicrobial latex, and CertiPUR-US foams.