JoyBed LXP Mattress Review
JoyBed LXP Mattress Review
✔️Last updated: January 2023
|✔️Customer Rating: 4.6/5|
|✔️Mattress Advisor Score: 8.6/10|
|✔️Free Shipping & Returns|
|✔️120-Night Sleep Trial|
Spend $699 and Save $50 with Code BF50
Our verdict: The JoyBed LXP is a mattress made with natural materials and customizable firmness. It works best for couples, back sleepers, and combination sleepers. With a 120-night trial and GOTS certified materials, the LXP mattress is a go-to for the eco-conscious sleeper.
Who Is the JoyBed LXP Mattress Best for?
|JoyBed LXP is best for:||JoyBed LXP may not be best for:|
The JoyBed LXP is a natural organic hybrid mattress. In this review, we’ll hit the highlights of this JoyBed mattress, and then take a deep dive into the materials, pros and cons, how it scored in our personal tests, and we’ll answer that all-important question: should you buy?
What we love:
- JoyBed only uses natural and organic materials, such as an organic cotton cover and a plant fiber fire barrier, to keep your bedroom safe and non-toxic.
- You can choose between two firmness levels: medium-firm and medium-plush.
- This bed scored a nearly perfect 9/10 in spinal alignment, meaning it’s great for those who suffer from back pain.
We brought the JoyBed LXP to our mattress lab where we personally tested it in 8 different areas and then evaluated the customer’s experience in 6 more. To see how we get these scores, check out our review process.
|Mattress Advisor Test||Score (Out of 10)|
⭐Total Score for the JoyBed LXP Mattress: 8.6/10⭐
JoyBed LXP Performance Highlights
- Made in the USA: Each and every material used in the LXP mattress is sourced and made in the USA, meaning you can be sure your bed is eco-friendly and you’re supporting the national economy.
- Responsive: For people who toss and turn, the coil springs in JoyBed allow it to respond to each position you sleep in.
- Edge Support: If you sleep near the edge of your mattress or you find that you sit there often, you should rejoice that JoyBed has great edge support.
- Social Impact: With a mattress so committed to being eco-conscious, it should be no surprise that the company follows suit. They use renewable sourced materials and donate all returned mattresses to the Michigan Humane Society.
- Pressure Relief: Though the JoyBed scored highly in most other categories, it does not excel in the area of pressure relief, particularly, the hips and shoulders.
- Non-Traditional Feel: Because this mattress is completely made up of natural materials, there is no foam layer that most of us are used to. We found the feel to be sort of firm.
You spend about a third of your life in bed, so it’s important to have good posture while you’re lying there. That is what spinal alignment measures. Because of JoyBed’s ability to have you sleep on top of the mattress, we found our spines to be almost perfectly straight on this bed.
Pressure point relief was certainly a con of this mattress. Let’s take a look at why that is. Though we found that back sleepers have minimal pressure on their lower back, side sleepers see some severely red spots on their hips and shoulders. This is where most of the pressure is concentrated.
In the first part of our motion test, we had one tester lie with her eyes covered in a sleep mask as the other moved about on their side of the mattress. We both felt some movement, but not enough to be disturbed.
The LXP sits two places on the firmness scale: choose between medium-firm (about 6/10 on the scale) and medium-plush (about a 4/10). We tested the medium-plush model, and found it to be pretty firm.
Does the LXP Match Your Sleeping Position?
We found the LXP mattress to be good for the following:
- Combination sleeper mattress: If you sleep in two or more positions, this bed’s responsiveness can keep up with you.
- Back sleeper mattress: This mattress relieves pressure from your lower back, keeping away aches and pains.
- Stomach sleeper mattress: Heavier stomach sleepers see a little pressure accumulate under their hips, but the medium-firm mattress keeps you from sinking too far.
We do not recommend the LXP for side sleepers because of the poor pressure relief it offers for the hips and shoulders. Head over to our best mattress for side sleepers page to find some better recommendations.
None of the natural materials used in this mattress retain body heat. Both cotton and wool are breathable and absorb moisture. The innerspring coil system works to allow airflow throughout the mattress. Although not one of our top picks for the best cooling mattress, the JoyBed LXP mattress should still be good if you’re a hot sleeper.
Is There a Weight Limit?
There is no set weight limit on the LXP mattress, but they recommend no more than 300 pounds per person. This is enough to support most body types and shapes.
JoyBed on really requires a solid surface. This can include a box spring, platform bed, adjustable base, the floor, and slats no more than 5 inches apart. They do caution that when using a box spring, makes sure your foundation has center support.
A Look Inside
It’s time to take a peek inside the JoyBed LXP mattress. These natural materials keep the bed both comfortable and green.
- Jacquard Mattress Cover: Made with organic cotton, this hand-tufted cover is eco-friendly.
- Fire Barrier: A chemical-free fire retardant using plant fibers.
- Cotton Layer: This hypoallergenic layer adds comfort and keeps you cool.
- Wool Layer: Another cooling comfort layer that wicks away moisture.
- Coil Layer: Nano coils contour to your body shape and act as a transition layer.
- Pocket Coil Layer: The individually wrapped coils provide zoned support that keeps the spine aligned.
JoyBed LXP Mattress Sizes, Dimensions, and Pricing
|Twin||38” x 75” x 13”||76 lbs.||$890|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 13”||78 lbs.||$1090|
|Full||53” x 75” x 13”||101 lbs.||$1190|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 13”||123 lbs.||$1290|
|King||76” x 80” x 13”||148 lbs.||$1690|
|Cal King||72” x 84” x 13”||142 lbs.||$1690|
*Prices do not reflect exclusive offers or discounts. Click below to see the best price for the JoyBed LXP mattress.
Setting up the Mattress
The LXP comes in a long, rectangular box, this makes it easier to get the mattress into your room of choice. It took us almost two and a half minutes to completely unbox the JoyBed and let it expand. Most of this is due to how heavy the mattress is.
|Delivery||Free shipping and delivery|
|Trial Period||120 days|
|Return Policy||Free returns|
|Financing||Available through Synchrony|
How It Gets to Your Door
Your bed should ship quickly, within 1-2 business days, and deliver in 3-5.The JoyBed ships free to the continental US. Those who live in Alaska or Hawaii can contact JoyBed to get a quote on delivery fee.
JoyBed offers white glove delivery and mattress removal for an additional fee of $150. You do not have to be home to sign for your mattress unless you choose this white glove service.
Your Trial Period
Like most bed-in-a-box companies, JoyBed offers a sleep trial so you can see if the LXP is really the mattress for you. You have 120 nights (or about 4 months) to sleep on this mattress risk-free. If you decide you want something different, you can contact customer service for and exchange or a return for a full refund.
Your Mattress Warranty
The LXP mattress comes with a 10-year warranty. This warranty covers manufacturer defects and indentations greater than an inch and a half. It does not cover comfort preferences, normal wear and tear, or damage your bed receives from using and improper foundation.
If you wish to file a claim, call 1-877-601-7035.
Contacting Customer Service
We found JoyBed to have a pretty great customer service team. They are available weekdays from 9am-6pm and weekends 10am-6pm (EST). Here how to get in touch with them:
- Live chat on the website.
- Call 1-877-601-7035.
- Email email@example.com.
How to Make a Return
If you decide the JoyBed isn’t your dream mattress, you can make a free return or exchange during your 120-night trial period. To return your mattress, call customer service, and they will work with you to get your mattress donated. Beware: you will have to pay a $139 processing fee which will be taken out of your refund.
- “This bed is supportive and accomplishes to be soft and comfortable. The best of both worlds.” – Autumn
- “We love our new mattress…. I feel so much better knowing I’m not sleeping on chemicals all night. My husband sleeps A LOT better! Our old mattress was veryy firm.” -Becca
- “I bought this mattress due to the fact, I have very hypersensitive skin, and I am allergic to most things. I like the idea of it being100% all natural, chemical-free, breathable, hypoallergenic, moisture wicking, and I sleep cool. It is very supportive and firm, the top is soft, helping in relieving any aches and pains. Note** I am allergic to wool, unless it is lined. I had no problem with this mattress because of the layers of cotton above and beneath the wool layer.” – Carla
Is JoyBed LXP Like Other Mattresses?
We would categorize the JoyBed LXP as a natural organic mattress, putting it in the same space as the Birch by Helix, Awara by Resident, and the Avocado mattress. JoyBed is one of the only natural mattresses we’ve come across without the use of foam. Most of these beds offer better pressure relief than JoyBed, but JoyBed has the best alignment and most affordable prices.
How do I clean my JoyBed mattress?
The best way to clean your mattress is to spot clean with a damp cloth. Air dry any residual moisture.
Is the JoyBed mattress organic?
Some materials, like the GOTS Certified mattress cover, are organic. However, the cotton and wool layers are not made from organic materials.