Layla Hybrid Mattress Review
By clicking on the product links in this article, Mattress Advisor may receive a commission fee at no cost to you, the reader. Read full disclosure statement.
What we think: The Layla Hybrid mattress is one of few flippable hybrid mattresses on the market. With one medium side and one firm side, you have options and durability. Its responsive coils make it easy for you to move around and the conforming foam makes it a good fit for most sleepers.
Who Is the Layla Hybrid Mattress Best for?
|Layla Hybrid is best for:||Layla Hybrid may not be best for:|
Layla Hybrid is a flippable mattress with a different firmness level on each side. It has one medium side and one firm side, allowing you to choose the right feel for your needs. In this review, we will share with you everything that you need to know about the Lalya Hybrid mattress—such as its materials, construction, and trial period—so you can decide if it’s the right mattress for your needs.
Our favorite things:
- With different firmness options on each side of the Layla, you can choose between a medium or firm feel. These two sides adapt to changing needs of you and your partner.
- The copper-infused memory foam layers don’t trap body heat the way some foam beds do. Combined with the supportive layer of airy innerspring coils and the Layla mattress sleeps impressively cool.
- We enjoyed that the resilient innerspring coils paired with memory foam and zoned-support polyfoam are supportive enough for plus-size sleepers.
- The Layla mattress is made in the USA using CertiPUR-US certified foam, safeguarding you from things like heavy metals and VOCs (volatile organic compounds).
We got our hands on the Layla Hybrid mattress and put it to the test in our lab. See how this bed scored in each of our 14 tests and evaluations. Click to learn more about our testing process.
|Mattress Advisor Test||Score (Out of 10)|
⭐Total Score for the Layla Hybrid Mattress: 8.7/10⭐
The Pros and The Cons
- Versatility: Probably our favorite benefit of the Layla Hybrid mattress is that it comes with two firmness profiles. Along the top of each side of the mattress is a layer of memory foam that creates a plush feel and cushions pressure points. This memory foam topper is thicker on the softer side and thinner on the firmer side, allowing sleepers to choose which feel they prefer. Additionally, these different firmness options make it a great mattress for guest bedrooms.
- Motion transfer: Though it’s made with coils (something we find easily allows motion to transfer), cushy foam provides impressive motion isolation is particularly valuable to couples who share a bed.
- Responsiveness: One downside to a 100% memory foam mattress is that it doesn’t provide the same springy responsiveness as an innerspring mattress. Thanks to the inner core of springs, the Layla quickly responds to your movements and provides slightly bouncy support. This feel is especially valued for combination sleepers who move around at night and for adult activities.
- Spine alignment: Our bodies are heaviest in the middle, which is why our hips can sink too far into a mattress, knocking the spine out of alignment. Layla counters this common problem with their zoned base support foam found on either side of the innerspring core. By providing extra support where you need it the most, the Layla Hybrid promotes neutral body alignment. The result is fewer aches and pains.
- Off-gassing: The Layla Hybrid does have a mild odor when first removed from the box. This off-gassing is typical with foam beds and readily dissipates.
- Extremes: Sleepers who want ultra-soft or extra-firm beds will not find what they’re looking for with the Layla.
- Social Impact: Outside of donating returned mattresses to local charities and using CertiPUR-US foams, Layla doesn’t do much on the social impact side of things.
- Heavy: The Layla mattress is heavy (113 pounds for the queen), making it hard for elderly people or children to flip.
Of course while testing a dual-sided mattress we have to see how the spine aligns on both sides. Oddly enough, we found it to be about even on both sides.
On the soft side, you can see how the spine lays almost perfectly straight. The hips are just sinking into the mattress lower than the shoulder, causing a slight dip in the middle.
On the firm side, you see almost the exact same thing: more sinkage in the hip than the shoulders leaving a very straight spine with only a slight dip in the center.
Layla Hybrid has a memory foam layer that hugs the body; it’s supposed to relieve excess pressure at problem areas like the hips and shoulders. However, this is only the case for some sleepers.
On the soft side of the mattress, our lightweight sleep tester saw almost perfect results in the hips, lower back, and shoulder area in our pressure map. This was the complete opposite for our heavier sleep tester: his hips saw significant pressure while side sleeping, and while back sleeping, we saw the most pressure we’ve ever seen in the lower back. The soft side of the Layla Hybrid received a 7.25/10.
On the firm side, both back sleepers, regardless of their size and shape saw great pressure relief. When side sleeping, however, we saw some red in the hips and shoulders, earning it a 7.75/10 for the firm side. Averaged together, the Layla Hybrid has a 7.5/10 in pressure relief.
Next up, let’s talk about those of us who sleep in many different positions. What we need is a bed where we can quickly get comfortable in any position. This is called a responsive bed. We lay in the bed and shifted to each position so see how fast Layla Hybrid responded. It was comfortable fairly quickly, earning it a 8.5/10.
As we’ve previously mentioned, the Layla hybrid has two sides, each with their own unique place on the firmness scale.The softer side of the mattress is a medium-soft to medium, rating a 4-5. When you lie down on the soft side of the Layla, you’ll sink in somewhat before the supportive coils counteract your weight.
The firmer side is a medium-firm, falling at a 7 on the firmness scale. When you lie on the firm side of the Layla, you’ll experience very moderate conforming and a firm, bouncy support.
How Layla Hybrid Works for Each Sleeping Position
The Layla Hybrid works well for all sleeping styles, but the degree to which it suits your individual needs depends on your weight and firmness preference.
We find that this is a good mattress for lightweight side sleepers who weigh around 130 pounds and will experience the combination of plush contouring and moderate support that they need on the soft side of the Layla Hybrid. Heavier side sleepers may not find the pressure relief they’re looking for.
The combination of conforming memory foam, zoned-support polyfoam, and pocketed coils make this a top mattress for back sleepers. The softer side is well-suited for lightweight back sleepers who like a softer feel, while the firmer side is supportive enough for average-to-heavy back sleepers.
Sleepers who weigh less than 230 pounds that sleep on their stomachs are adequately supported by both the soft and the firm side of the Layla mattress. Thanks to the added support brought about by the zoned-support foam, our hips don’t sink excessively low for average-to-lightweight front sleepers. But if you weigh more than 230 pounds and sleep on your stomach, an even firmer mattress would be a better fit. Hop over to our best mattress for stomach sleepers page for some recommendations.
The Layla Hybrid is a great mattress for combination sleepers because it performs relatively well in every sleeping position, plus the coils makes for great responsiveness. The memory foam provides some cushion for shoulders while the high-density foam and coils achieve the resilience needed by front and back sleepers.
Is the Layla Hybrid Cooling?
The Layla Hybrid is a cool memory foam hybrid mattress. We’ve got a couple of layers to thank for that. The copper infusion throughout the memory foam absorbs excess body heat, keeping the sleeping surface cool.
Deep channels (like little air holes) in the polyfoam layer facilitate airflow, readily dissipating body heat. And innerspring coils are the coolest bedding material around. With ample space for air to flow, any heat that makes its way towards the center of the bed is swept away.
Can It Support Your Weight?
The Layla Hybrid supports heavy sleepers, with the queen, king, and California king mattresses supporting up to 1,000 pounds. The twin, twin XL, and full mattresses support a total of 600 pounds.
Lightweight sleepers can also cozy up on the softer side of Layla Hybrid.
The Most Suitable Bed Frames
The Layla Hybrid performs best when it’s on a solid, breathable surface. Such as traditional box springs and foundations, metal or wooden frames with slats spaced 4 inches or less apart, and adjustable bases
We recommend that you avoid placing your new bed directly on the floor because that does not allow ample airflow.
Looking Inside the Layla Hybrid
The Layla Hybrid mattress is made using an inner layer of coils surrounded by foam layers on each side. Learn more about each layer of the Layla Hybrid mattress.
- Super Soft Cover: The Layla cover is incredibly soft to the touch. With breathable fabric and a zipper along the middle of the bed, the cover helps to keep the sleeping surface cool. Built into the cover are easy-to-use handles that make the flipping process simple.
- Copper-Gel Memory Foam: On the firm side of the mattress is 1 inch of memory foam with a low density. The low density means that the foam is incredibly soft without making it hard to move around. On the softer side is 2.5 inches of foam. This density of foam is slightly higher than that on the firm side, which means that it will hug the body more closely.
- Max Airflow Support Foam: Each side of the mattress has a polyfoam layer between the memory foam and the innerspring coils. This zoned support layer provides extra structure along the middle of the mattress, contouring and supporting the body at the same time.
- Infinity Edge Individually Wrapped Coils System: The core of this mattress is made from 6” of individually encased coils. These coils are to thank for the bouncy and supportive feel of the Layla Hybrid. Coils are also found along the bed’s perimeter so that the edges are stable and comfortable.
Layla Hybrid Mattress Sizes, Dimensions, and Pricing
|Twin||38” x 75”||70 lbs.||$1,249|
|Twin XL||38” x 80”||72 lbs.||$1,349|
|Full||54” x 75”||95 lbs.||$1,549|
|Queen||60” x 80”||115 lbs.||$1,649|
|King||76” x 80”||145 lbs.||$1,849|
|Cal King||72” x 84”||143 lbs.||$1,849|
*Prices do not reflect exclusive offers or Layla coupons. Click below to see the best price for the Layla Hybrid mattress.
Unboxing the Layla Hybrid
The Layla Hybrid doesn’t come in a box, instead it comes in a sort of duffel bag that can be unzipped. It took us a minute forty-eight to unbox the mattress on the foundation. We found the bag with the mattress to be pretty heavy but once we got it unwrapped and it expanded, it was lighter.
The level of off-gassing on this bed was average and went away rather quickly.
|Delivery||Free delivery within the 48 contiguous states. Shipping fees apply to Hawaii, Alaska, and Canada.|
|Trial Period||120-night trial period|
|Warranty||10 year warranty|
|Return Policy||Free returns|
|Financing||Available through Affirm|
What to Expect with Delivery
Layla mattresses are made to order. Once you place your order, the mattress will ship out within 3 to 5 business days. Shipping takes 7 to 10 additional business days.
All Layla mattresses come with free shipping to the continental 48 states, with additional shipping charges for those who live in Hawaii, Alaska, or Canada.
Your new Layla mattress will come compressed in a box, delivered to your doorstep. You do not have to be home to receive your delivery. At this time, Layla does not offer white glove delivery, so you must set up your new mattress and discard your old one.
Your Sleep Trial
Once you receive your Layla mattress, you have 120 nights to decide if it’s the right fit for you. Layla requires you to try out the mattress for two weeks before making a final decision—know that it can take weeks for your body to adjust to a new mattress. If, after two weeks, you choose to return your Layla mattress, you will receive a full refund (minus any shipping fees).
Your Mattress Warranty
The Layla Hybrid comes with a standard 10-year warranty that’s non-prorated. The warranty covers defects in workmanship and materials that hinder sleep quality. If your claim is approved, Layal will repair or replace your mattress.
Layla Customer Service
Contacting Layla’s customer service is easy. You can call them at 1-855-358-1676, live chat with them on their website, or email them at firstname.lastname@example.org. Their hours are 9 AM – 9 PM EST.
Layla customer service representatives have been friendly, knowledgeable, and quick to respond in our interactions with them. Here’s what customers have to say about Layla’s customer service:
- “We tried many of the big name mattresses…Layla customer service was by far the best and the friendliest.” -Paige T.
- “Nice mattress, too soft for us, but great customer service. Layla honored their return policy, arranged for a pick up of the mattress and credited us a full refund.” -John
- “Customer service is outstanding!” -Michael S.
The Return Policy
The Layla return policy is generous, with full refunds returned to your initial form of payment (with the exception of the shipping fees to Alaska, Hawaii, and Canada, which are non-refundable).
Simply email email@example.com with your order number and reason for return and they will arrange for a local charity to pick up your mattress. Your refund request must be made within 120 days of receiving your Layla mattress.
- “So I have major back problems: 2 herniated discs, scoliosis, arthritis..the list goes on. I tried the new Layla Hybrid and am in love! The firm side is just right for me, offering great support and comfort. This paired with the adjustable bed frame allows me to finally have a good night’s rest.” -Oreal W.
- “Great new bed!! My wife and I use the soft side and it hugs and cradles you in all the right places. My wife has back problems and this has really helped a lot.” -Eric B.
- “My Layla mattress has given me a restful sleep, and I have fewer aches in my back, my shoulders, and my legs. Thank you Layla.” -Bert A.
Reasons to Get/Not Get the Layla Hybrid
Now it’s time to decide if the Layla Hybrid is the bed you want to arrive at your doorstep. We think you’ll love Layla if you share the bed with your partner, you sleep hot, or you are unsure of what firmness level you truly need.
You probably won’t like Lyala Hybrid very much if you want a 100% foam bed or if you’re shopping on a budget. Luckily we have an alternative for you if you check these boxes: the Bear mattress. Like Layla Hybrid, it comes in a box with cooling layers. But unlike Layla, it’s 100% made of foam and a queen is less than $1000.
Layla Hybrid vs Layla
You may be wondering about the difference between the original Layla mattress and the Layla Hybrid. Well, the Layla mattress is a flippable bed completely made of memory foam. This bed is less cool than the Layla Hybrid, but just as pressure relieving and motion isolating.
Both Layla beds are infused with copper foam and offer different firmness options on each side. Which mattress is right for you depends on the feel you’re looking for: Layla Hybrid is more bouncy and resilient while the original Layla moves less.
Check out these other Layla comparisons:
Can I try the Layla Hybrid at a store?
No, Layla mattresses are not found in stores. But don’t fret—this is why every Layla mattress comes with a trial period. Sleeping on the mattress is a much better test than lying on it in a store for a handful of minutes. And by selling directly to you, the consumer, Layla keeps their prices down and passes those savings onto you.
Can I finance my Layla Hybrid mattress?
Yes! Layla partners with Affirm to make mattress financing quick, easy, and safe.
How does the 120-night sleep trial work?
Once you receive your new mattress, you have 120 days to try it out. During this time, you can return the mattress at no additional cost to you, and you will receive a full refund (minus shipping fees if you live in Hawaii, Alaska, or Canada). Layla requires you to try out the mattress for two weeks before submitting for a refund.
Can I clean my Layla mattress?
Layla’s mattress cover can be unzipped and removed for easy cleaning. The mattress can be spot cleaned, but it’s best to use a waterproof mattress cover to protect your new mattress.
How long will it take for my Layla mattress to be delivered?
Your Layla mattress will arrive in roughly 2-3 weeks. Every Layla mattress is built-to-order, meaning that it doesn’t sit around in a factory before making its way to you. It takes 3-5 business days to manufacture and ship the mattress, and another 7-10 business days in route to your home.
Is there a break-in period for my new Layla mattress?
Yes. It can take 30 days to break in your new mattress, and for your body to adjust to the feel of a new mattress. Because of this, it’s best to sleep on your Layla mattress for 30 nights before deciding if it’s the right bed for you.
By clicking on the product links in this article, Mattress Advisor may receive a commission fee at no cost to you, the reader. Read full disclosure statement.