Leesa Legend Mattress Review
Leesa Legend Mattress Review
✔️Last updated: January 2023
|✔️ Customer Rating: 4.6/5|
|✔️ Mattress Advisor Score: 9.0/10|
|✔️ Type: Hybrid|
|✔️ Firmness: Medium-Firm|
|✔️ Free Shipping & Returns|
|✔️ 100-Night Sleep Trial|
|✔️ 10-Year Warranty|
Get Up to $700 Off + 2 FREE Pillows
TLDR: The Leesa Legend is a luxury mattress made with natural materials that works for all types of sleepers—we’re talking all sleep styles and most body types. Its true medium firmness makes it a great option for people who like a soft, cozy mattress with the support of a firm mattress.
*In response to the COVID-19 crisis, Leesa has created and donated hospital bed kits to facilities in need.
Who Is the Leesa Legend Mattress Best for?
|Leesa Legend is best for:||Leesa Legend may not be best for:|
Our highest scoring mattress brand, Leesa, has just released a new luxury mattress model—the Legend. Want to know all about what the Leesa Legend brings to the table? We’ve got you covered with this in-depth review. We’ll give you the low-down on its highlights, how it fared in our lab testing, as well as other purchase information.
What we love:
- One of our best-rated hybrid mattresses, the Leesa Legend takes their hybrid mattress design to the next level by incorporating luxury natural materials such as organic cotton and wool as well as recycled materials.
- Its luxury design supports all sleep positions, types, and lifestyles.
- The ultra responsive foam and relief layers keep up with your nighttime movement and keep your spine in good alignment.
We took the Leesa Legend to our mattress lab to see how it performed in a series of tests and evaluations before giving it an overall score. Check out our review process, and see how we score.
|Mattress Advisor Test||Score (Out of 10)|
⭐Total Score for the Leesa Legend Mattress: 9.0/10⭐
Leesa Legend Highlights
- Responsiveness: If you find yourself in multiple different positions at night, chances are that you’re a combination sleeper. In that case, responsiveness in a mattress is essential to quickly getting comfortable in each position, and the Leesa Legend did pretty well in this department.
- Cooling: Sleeping too hot is no fun. That’s why we’re happy to say that the open-cell foam and innerspring system makes the Leesa Legend plenty cool and breathable.
- Social Impact: When you purchase the Leesa Legend, you’re doing more than giving yourself a great night’s sleep. For every Leesa mattress bought, they donate a mattress to a child in need. Since 2014, Leesa has donated over 35,000 mattress to over 1,000 non-profit organizations. Learn more about Leesa’s B-Corp status here.
- Off-Gassing Smell: When you unbox the Leesa Legend you may notice a mild odor. It’s normal and will go away after it airs out for a few hours.
- Break-in Period: Like most bed-in-a-box mattresses, it can take a while (up to 30 days) to break in and adjust to the Leesa Legend mattress.
Our edge support test is a two-parter. The first part requires me sitting on the edge of the bed and putting on a pair of shoes. Here, I felt very solid support and didn’t feel like I was going to slide off. Notice how the bed barely dips beneath me!
The second part of the test requires lying down near the edge of the bed to gauge the support. We did not feel as if we were going to roll off of the bed. On the contrary, we felt just as much support as the center of the bed provided.
Sleep with a partner or a pet? This test determines whether or not their movements will disturb your side of the bed. Like edge support, this one’s a two-parter.
First up, we have the human test. We took turns blind folded by a sleep mask to see how much motion we could feel from the other side of the bed. We each got in the bed, tossed and turned, then got out. We came to a mutual score of an 8.5, meaning we felt some movement, but not enough to be too disturbed.
Check out our top picks for the best mattresses for couples.
Next, we did the wine test. We sat a glass on one side of the bed, and I rolled around on the other. As you can see, the liquid did get pretty sloshy, so we gave the wine test a score of 7.5. Combined with the human test score, the Legend gets an overall score of 8/10.
If you’re a side sleeper with back pain, pay attention to this test. We simply lay on our sides to see how straight our spines were, from the base of the spine to the top of the neck. My spine was almost perfectly straight, giving the Legend a 9/10 in alignment. (My shoulder didn’t dip into the mattress as much as my hip, robbing it of the perfect score.)
When it comes to its place on the firmness scale, the Leesa Legend falls at about a 5-7/10, making it a medium-firm mattress. This firmness is pretty universal, meaning most sleepers enjoy a mattress with this middle of the road firmness.
Check out our top picks for the best firm mattresses.
Is It Good for Your Sleeping Position?
We think the Leesa Legend works for all sleep positions. Here’s how:
- A good mattress for stomach sleepers who get decent pressure relief and alignment from the firmness level.
- A good mattress for side sleepers who can enjoy the pressure relief from the hips and shoulders as well as the amazing alignment the Legend provides.
- A good mattress for back sleepers who will have their body contoured by the top layer of foam, and this bed eases the pressure from the lower back.
- A good mattress for combo sleepers who can toss and turn knowing the Leesa Legend will respond to their movements.
Leesa Legend Cooling Factors
With a 8.5/10 in our cooling evaluation, it’s safe to say we think the Legend sleeps pretty cool. The top memory foam layer is made with open-cell foam, so instead of trapping your body heat, this bed lets it escape. And the breathability doesn’t stop there.
The coil layers add even more airflow throughout the mattress, so the heat from your body does not stay in the mattress.
Does It Support Your Body Type?
Each Leesa Legend mattress supports up to 350 pounds per person (meaning up to 350 pounds for twin XL and full and 700 pound for queen-Cal king). This is enough to support most types of sleepers.
It’s important to have the right mattress foundation for optimal performance of the Leesa Legend. Leesa recommends a foundation that is firm, flat, and sturdy. The wrong base may harm your sleep experience.
For the Legend mattress, a bunkie board is a suitable option that is more budget-friendly. This foundation type is a 2-3″ board that creates a flat surface, rigid enough to support a hybrid mattress. It works well with platform beds, metal frames, and slatted foundations.
Construction and Feel
At its core, the Leesa Legend has six different layers, but it’s hard to ignore the all-natural, hypoallergenic cover. This cover is made from organic cotton, merino wool, and recycled materials, something lovers of the earth can brag about. The rest of the mattress is made up of breathable foam and responsive pocketed springs for comfort, support, and pressure relief.
- Mattress Cover: Made of Merino wool and fiber derived from recycled water bottles, the cover is both soft and eco-friendly.
- Comfort Layer: This responsive foam is hole-punched for breathability allowing you to sleep cool.
- Memory Foam Recovery Layer: Relieves the pressure points from your hips, back, and shoulders with this foam’s enhanced body contouring features.
- Micro-Pocket Spring Layer: Targets pressure relief on your hips, back, and shoulders, and eliminates motion transfer.
- Quick Response Layer: Core support foam layer that provides durability, stability, and edge support.
Leesa Legend Mattress Sizes, Dimensions, and Pricing
|Twin XL||39” x 80” x 12”||81 lbs.||$1,899|
|Full||53” x 75” x 12”||103 lbs.||$2,199|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 12”||119 lbs.||$2,399|
|King||76” x 80” x 12”||149 lbs.||$2,699|
|California King||72” x 84” x 12”||149 lbs.||$2,699|
*These are standard prices without accounting for sales or Mattress Advisor exclusive discounts. Find the best price by clicking the button below or checkout Leesa mattress coupons.
The Unboxing Process
The Legend comes in a tall, rectangular box that you can easily fit through narrow doorways and stairwells. It took us about 2 minutes and 18 seconds to unbox the mattress; we found it to be pretty heavy. After unboxing, we noticed that it had a pretty strong off-gassing odor, but if faded away after a couple of hours.
|Delivery||Compressed and rolled in-a-box; delivered in 3-6 business days|
|Trial Period||100 nights|
|Warranty||10-year limited warranty|
|Return Policy||Free returns|
|Financing||Available through Affirm|
How Long Does Shipping and Delivery Take?
Because the mattresses are made to order, it will take about 3-6 business days to ship after they are made.
Leesa Legends come with free in-home delivery where they will set up your mattress for you and remove your old bed. If you opt-in to this perk, the waiting time will be bumped up to 7 business days.
If you want to opt for white glove delivery, there will be an additional $150 fee, but you won’t have to lift a finger.
All About Your Sleep Trial
Once you receive your Leesa Legend mattress, your 100 night sleep trial begins. If you decide within these 100 days that you want to return the Leesa Legend mattress, contact the customer support team to have a pick up scheduled. A Leesa representative will pick it up and donate it to a local charity. But remember, it can take up to 30 days to adjust to a new mattress and break it in, so give it a fair chance before scheduling a return.
The Ins and Out of Your Warranty
Leesa offers a 10-year full replacement warranty, meaning they will replace your defective mattress during the entire duration of your warranty period. You are covered if your mattress has an indentation deeper than one inch, there is a physical flaw in the craftsmanship of the foam, or the cover.
You are not covered from comfort preferences, normal wear and tear, or damage you get from using the wrong foundation.
How to Reach Customer Service
You can contact Leesa’s customer service in many different ways, the easiest being live chatting with a member of their team on the website. Or you can call them at 1-844-335-3372. Both of these methods operate between the hours of 9am-9pm EST every day. You can email them anytime at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to Return
From the day that your Leesa Legend arrives at your door, you will have 100 nights to decide if the mattress is right for you. We do recommend that you sleep on the mattress for at least 30 nights before making the decision to return as there is a break-in period. If you decide to return the mattress, contact Leesa’s customer support team, and they will walk you through the process. A Leesa representative will pick up your mattress from your home and donate it to a local charity.
Should You Buy the Leesa Legend?
It’s time to decide if you should go with the Leesa Legend or keep on searching for the best mattress. We think you’ll love the Legend if
- You are a side, back, or stomach sleeper.
- You suffer from back pain.
- You sleep hot.
You should probably keep looking if
- You are on a budget (we recommend Bowery Hybrid instead).
- You weigh more than 300 lbs. (we recommend the Saatva HD mattress instead).
The Leesa Legend is one of five Leesa mattresses: the original Leesa mattress, the Leesa Hybrid, the Studio by Leesa, and the Leesa Original Hybrid. These all scored well high in our lab tests, but let’s explore the differences.
- The Leesa Original mattress is an all-foam mattress that excelled in almost every test we threw at it. The best include alignment, motion transfer, and responsiveness.
- The Studio by Leesa is a budget memory foam mattress, great for the average sleeper.
- The Leesa Sapira Hybrid is the first bed Leesa ever made using coils, and is the highest-scoring bed we’ve ever tested.
- The Leesa Original Hybrid is an affordable hybrid option for those wanting a bed with excellent motion isolation.
Other Products Sold by Leesa
Leesa Legend Mattress FAQs
Is the Leesa Legend eco-friendly?
The Leesa company has always cared about the environment, and this mattress is just another example. The cover of the Leesa Legend is made with recycled polyester yarn, which is made from water bottles, reducing plastic waste. The cover also incorporates organic cotton and wool, making sure no pesticides or insecticides make their way into our water. The foams used inside the Leesa Legend are all CertiPUR-US® certified.
Can I use a military discount for the Leesa Legend mattress?
Yes! Leesa offers discounted rates on all products for the military all year long. Leesa also offers discounts for first-responders, students, and teachers.
How long can my Leesa Legend stay in the box?
It’s best to take the Leesa Legend out of the box once you receive it, but it will be okay in the box for about 30 days.
Will I need to flip my Leesa Legend?
The hybrid layer construction of the Legend works best in their designed order, so you shouldn’t flip your Leesa Legend mattress.