Medium firm: 6/10
10-year limited warranty
Foam blend mattress that's ideal for the average sleeper
- We think Leesa has mastered the perfect mattress for any sleeping position – it offers a great balance between soft and firm, promotes airflow to keep you cool, and won’t leave you sinking into the foam like quicksand.
- The Leesa is the highest rated mattress on Mattress Advisor, but also has a happy (and well-rested) bunch of customers who rate it a 4.8/5.
- Leesa is always looking for ways to improve their products. In fact, they recently launched an updated version of their mattress with new pressure-relieving foam that took 200 prototypes to get just right. The best part is, they didn’t raise the price of the mattress, so you’re still getting a quality mattress at a really great price point. You can watch our video below to see the highlights but as a quick teaser: it’s even better than it was before for side sleepers!
Want to see how Leesa compares to other mattresses?
Mattress Advisor score for the Leesa
Here’s how the Leesa mattress scored on different tests and evaluations. Each score is a rating out of 10 points. The total score is a weighted average that incorporates all of the functional and performance characteristics of the mattress. We break down the scores so you can see how the Leesa mattress performed on specific tests and evaluations.
9.3 / 10
Leesa mattress review
Take a look at our review of the Leesa 2.0 mattress and see how it performed in our testing to help you determine if this could be the mattress for you.
Set up test
The Leesa mattress took us just about a minute and a half to set up. The mattress was light, took its full shape quickly and had only a slight odor.
So for our setup test, the Leesa mattress gets an 8.5 out of 10.
Motion Transfer Test
Motion transfer is just a fancy way of saying how much movement you feel if your partner is moving around. You want this to be pretty minimal.
Part A - The Humans
The Mattress Advisor motion transfer test is a two-part test. We start by asking our sleep subjects to lie on the bed, blindfolded, and rate on a scale of 1 to 10 how much movement they felt when their partner was moving around, with 10 being no movement at all.
The Leesa kept motion transfer to a minimum. It scored a 9 out of 10 for part one of our motion transfer test.
Part B - The Wine
Next, comes our wine test. This is great visual indicator of how much motion is being transferred from one side of the bed to another.
We had one of our sleep subjects lie down and roll back and forth a few times. We then took a look at how much the wine inside of the glass moved.
The wine stayed pretty still! Once again, we gave it a 9.
So for a total motion transfer score, the Leesa gets a 9 out of 10.
Edge Support Test
When choosing a mattress, you may not think to consider how much support the edge provides. But if you find yourself sleeping on the edge of your bed or use the end to get ready in the morning, you should definitely consider the edge support.
The Mattress Advisor edge support test is a two-part test.
Part A - The Shoe Test
To start, we asked our sleep subjects to sit on the edge of the bed to tie their shoes. They rated this task on a scale from one to ten, with 10 being “extremely easy, with exceptional edge support.”
While on the Leesa, our sleep subjects noticed the edge was supportive, yet a tad slippery, which is easily fixed once sheets are on the bed. So the Leesa scored an 8 for the edge shoe test.
Part B - The Side Test
Next, we had our mattress testers lie on the edge of the bed in each sleeping position, side, stomach and back, to see if they could sleep comfortably in that section of the bed.
Both felt the edge of the mattress would keep them safe from the floor all night long. So for the edge support side test, the Leesa scored a 9.
So Leesa gets a total score of 8.5 out of 10 for edge support.
Pressure Relief Test
When shopping for a mattress, you’ll want to find something that puts minimal pressure on your hips, thighs and shoulders. Let’s take a look at how well the Leesa provides pressure relief.
We measure pressure relief by using a pressure mapping film that shows areas of high pressure. Here’s what you need to know: the cool spots are good and the warms spots are bad. The warmer the color, the more pressure is being placed on that area of the body.
We saw mostly green and blue in sleep subject one.
We saw a small spot of red in the hips of sleep subject number two, but overall minimal pressure.
So for the total pressure relief score, the Leesa gets an 8.5.
Spine Alignment Test
Did you know, sleeping posture is just as important as your posture when you are awake? For every mattress we test, we take a look at how well it keeps your spine in a straight line.
We took a close up of both of our sleep subject’s backs to see the alignment. You’ll want to see a straight line from the neck all the way to the tailbone.
Both spines were pretty darn straight with only a slight curve towards the base of the neck.
For spine alignment, the Leesa mattress gets a 9 out of 10.
Responsiveness is just a fancy way of saying how well the mattress adjusts or responds to your sleeping positions while you sleep. This becomes important when considering how quickly and easily you get comfortable when moving around.
We had our sleep subjects lie in each sleeping position, side, stomach and back. As they changed positions and got settled in, we asked them to rate on a scale from one to ten how quickly and easily the mattress responded to their movement.
The Leesa 2.0 really upped its responsiveness game.
It scored a 9.5 out of 10.
The total Mattress Advisor score for the Leesa mattress:
Leesa recommends a more stable, rigid base that will sufficiently support this foam mattress. You could also try adding a bunkie board instead of a new foundation as a suitable and wallet-friendly option. A bunkie board is basically a 2-3″ board that creates a flat, rigid surface to support your foam mattress and pairs nicely with traditional metal frames, platform beds, and slatted beds.
What makes Leesa different from other mattresses?
The Leesa had one of the highest total scores among similar mattresses – driven by its strong edge support, pressure relief, and responsiveness.
Superior Foam Technology
Leesa’s top layer is made with a proprietary LSA200Foam Technology™, which is designed to provide unmatched responsiveness and pressure relief. Often times foam mattresses are slower to respond to your body movements, causing a lack in support. The LSA200 foam has had record recovery rates in a series of extensive testing.
This springy foam also supports all sleeping positions, so regardless if you’re a back, stomach or side sleeper, you can find comfort on the Leesa mattress.
A Cool, Pressure-Free Night’s Sleep
The foam layers inside the Leesa promote airflow so your body heat doesn’t get trapped inside the mattress. It’s also designed to contour every curve of your body to make it feel like you’re floating on air. This helps to relieve pressure points in important areas like your shoulders and hips while you sleep.
Built to Last
In testing that simulated 10 years of use, the Leesa mattress experienced 0% heigh loss – so the benefits you experience on the Leesa mattress today will be the same benefits you can experience years from now.
A Commitment to Social Good
When you buy a Leesa mattress, you can rest easy in more ways than one. For every 10 mattresses sold, a bed is donated to those in need. So far, over 26,000 mattresses have been donated by Leesa. For every purchase made, a new tree is also planted by the Leesa team. You can learn more about Leesa’s social impact and B-Corp status here.
What to watch out for
- Be aware that your Leesa mattress may have a mild scent when you unbox it – this is normal and should go away within a few hours.
- It may take up to 30 nights to get used to sleeping on your Leesa mattress – particularly if your previous mattress was a traditional innerspring mattress.
Leesa sizes available
- Twin: $525
- Twin XL: $695
- Full: $855
- Queen: $995
- King: $1195
- Cal King: $1195
A look inside
The Leesa mattress is made with three layers of high-quality foam delivering airflow, contouring pressure relief and core support.
- Top layer (2″): Cooling foam top layer; promotes airflow and responds to your every movement
- Middle layer(2″): Contouring memory foam; provides superior pressure relief
- Bottom layer: Dense core support; adds durability and structure without feeling too firm on top
What Leesa customers have to say
Leesa mattress reviews on firmness
- “Wasn’t sure which memory foam mattress to pick. There are so many of them now, and it’s not exactly easy to figure out what sets each one apart. I went with Leesa, and one month later I’m really happy that I did. The firmness is perfect for my back, and it’s kept pretty cool despite the onslaught of the muggy east-coast summer. Game-changer!” – Samuel D.
- “My only regret is not buying this bed earlier. It’s the perfect blend of supportive but soft. Sleeping on the stomach, side or back are all very comfortable. We love it!” – Erin S.
- “I’m not gifted with the right words to write this review. It’s soft yet firm? Inviting but not overwhelming? Cool yet comforting? All I know is it’s perfect, and I love it.” – Phoebe S.
Leesa mattress reviews on sleep quality
- “I certainly like the change in sleeping since purchase of the Leesa mattress. I use a fit bit tracker most of the time and that device monitors both resting heartrate and sleep patterns. Since using the leesa mattress, my resting HR now averages ~ 55 BPM vs 62 BPM before. My HR monitor also records sleep disturbances and times awake during the night. Sleep disturbances and “awakes” have also been significantly reduced, all thanks to leesa.” – Robert B.
- “We love this mattress. We are definitely noticing a change on in our quality of sleep, as well as a reduction in aches and pains. My husband and I are 43 and active people…the support this bed provides has been perfect for us. He is 6 feet tall, 230, and does not feel that he sinks in it at all. I know that can be a problem for some of these type of mattresses. We are both side sleepers so it works really well for that. If you are debating on which brand, you definitely can’t go wrong with this one. It has definitely been 100% improvement for us.” – Laura F.
- “My husband and I love our Leesa and are excited to go to bed each night because it is so comfortable. We are both sleeping much better and I am not waking up through the night as I was with our previous mattress. Thankful we found Leesa!” – Lauren M.
Leesa mattress reviews from customers with back pain
- “I suffer with severe back problems and had a sleep number bed that was making my nights unbearable. We bought the Leesa bed and by the 4th night I was sleeping so much better. My husband never moves now at night and he sleeps great. I wish we would’ve bought the bed sooner.” – Pamela M.
- “This mattress is extremely comfortable and works for a firm-loving side sleeper (hubby) and side/back sleeper who likes more give. I have a back problem; the wrong mattress throws off the alignment of my spine, pinching nerves and making it impossible to move an inch without pain. Happily, I am having no issues with the Leesa.” – Lynn G.
Read more reviews here.
If you’d like to hear from a real couple who slept on the Leesa mattress for one month, check out our In Real Life review below.
The finer print
Leesa ships free and will arrive at your door in 3-6 business days. (Shipping is also free to Alaska and Hawaii, but there is a $100 fee for returns.)
In select locations, you can also choose White Glove Delivery. For an additional $100, you can have your mattress, foundation, and/or bed frame taken to the room of your choice and set up. Any unwanted packaging will also be removed. For an additional cost of $50, Leesa will also remove your old mattress.
The Leesa mattress comes compressed, rolled and boxed. You will simply unbox the mattress, unroll it on your foundation, and wait for it to expand.
If you decide to return your Leesa within the 100-night trial period, there are zero return fees and you do not have to worry about fitting your Leesa back in the box. They’ll arrange to have your mattress picked up from your home with no additional effort or cost on your part. Leesa will try to locate a charity in your community to donate the mattress.
The Leesa mattress comes with a 10-year limited warranty. You can read more about the warranty policy here.
You can spot clean your Leesa mattress with warm water and mild detergent.
- Made in the USA.
- Discounted rates on all products for military, first-responders, students and teachers year round.
- All the foams in the Leesa mattresses are CertiPUR-US® certified.
- Through Leesa’s Refer a Friend program, you can earn $75 via PayPal for every purchase your friends make using your unique referral code.
Leesa mattress FAQs
How does the 100-night trial work?
From the day that your Leesa mattress is delivered, you will have 100 nights to decide if the mattress is right for you. Leesa does recommend that you sleep on the mattress for at least 30 nights before initiating a return. If you decide to return the mattress, you’ll simply contact Leesa’s customer support team and they will walk you through the return process. A Leesa representative will arrange for your mattress to be picked up from your home and donated to a local charity in need.
Can I try out the Leesa mattress before I buy it?
You sure can! There are a number of options for you to try the Leesa mattress in real life. If you like what you see (and feel) you can bring one home with you or place an order at the store.
- Select West Elm stores
- Select Pottery Barn stores
- The Leesa Dream Galleries in Virginia Beach and NYC
- This art gallery crossed with a mattress store allows you try the Leesa mattress as well as purchase beautiful works of art that benefit homeless and disabled artists
Can I finance my Leesa mattress?
Leesa offers 0% APR for 6, 12, or 18 months through Affirm. Simply select “Affirm” at checkout to complete the application process. Affirm orders are not eligible for current online promotions, offers, or discounts.
How long can my Leesa mattress stay in the box?
You can keep your Leesa mattress in the box for up to 30 days from the date the order was placed.
Will I need to flip my Leesa mattress?
The foam layers in the Leesa mattress are designed to work best in the order they are in, meaning you shouldn’t flip your mattress if you want to experience the full benefits of this bed.
Does the Leesa mattress have a break-in period?
Yes, you may need some time to adjust to your new Leesa mattress. Particularly if you are used to sleeping on a traditional innerspring mattress, your body will need time to get used to the new mattress feel. It can take up to 30 days to fully break in your new mattress.
How much weight can the Leesa mattress support?
The Leesa mattress is designed to support sleepers who individually weigh up to 300 lbs.
Other products sold by Leesa
- The Leesa foundation: $295 for queen
- The Leesa adjustable base: $1,045 for queen
- The Leesa pillow: $75 for standard pillow
- The Leesa Hybrid pillow: $125 for queen
- The Leesa bed frame: $125 for queen
- The Leesa blanket: $149
- The Leesa sheet set: $155 for queen; $245 with duvet cover
If you have more questions about our Leesa mattress review leave us a comment below.
Customer rating is derived from Google Reviews on the Leesa mattress.
By clicking on the product links in this article, Mattress Advisor may receive a commission fee at no cost to you, the reader. Read full disclosure statement.