Leesa Original Hybrid Mattress Review
Leesa Original Hybrid Mattress Review
✔️Last updated: December 2023
|✔️ Customer Rating: 4.4/5|
|✔️ Mattress Advisor Score: 9.4/10|
|✔️ Type: Hybrid|
|✔️ Firmness: Medium-firm|
|✔️ Free Shipping & Returns|
|✔️ 100-Night Sleep Trial|
Save up to $870
Overview: Leesa’s new Original Hybrid mattress comes with high-level cooling technology and several layers of comfort foam. Replacing the former Leesa Original Hybrid model, this mattress comes at a budget-friendly price.
Who Is the Leesa Original Hybrid Mattress Best For?
|Leesa Original Hybrid is best for:||Leesa Original Hybrid may not be best for:|
Leesa took all that’s great with their original memory foam mattress and combined it with the support and coolness that a hybrid design can offer. Similar to the former Original Hybrid, now renamed the Sapira Hybrid, this mattress comes with a spring unit designed to contour to the body and offer a cooler sleep environment. Plus, Leesa offers an even more affordable price, 10-year warranty, and free contactless shipping.
Keep reading to find out how it performed in our mattress lab, product details, and purchasing information.
What We Love About the Leesa Original Hybrid Mattress
- The Leesa Original Hybrid mattress comes with a super soft cover that’s cool to the touch so that you can be comfortable and cool while you sleep.
- This bed wowed our testers with its top-of-the-line edge support. When they sat on the edge, there was barely any indentation from their body.
- Despite being a bouncy mattress, the Leesa Original hybrid does an excellent job of isolating motion and would make a great option for couples.
Here at Mattress Advisor, we rate each factor on a scale of 1-10, with 10 being the best. Then we calculate our final score using a weighted average. Learn more about our review and scoring process.
|Mattress Advisor Test||Score (Out of 10)|
⭐Total Score for the Leesa Original Hybrid Mattress: 9.4/10⭐
Pros and Cons
- Edge Support: Having a coil layer really gave this mattress some great edge support. So much so that we felt we were lying in the middle of the bed when scooting to the side.
- Pressure Relief: The memory foam in the Leesa Original Hybrid’s top layer does an excellent job at relieving major pressure points.
- Motion Transfer: During our wine glass evaluation, the mattress did well at keeping the glass from moving around when our tester rolled around, which means it would be a great option for those who sleep with a partner.
- Cooling: With a cool-to-the-touch cover and coil system to promote airflow, the Leesa Hybrid Original excels in maintaining an optimal temperature at night.
- Sleep Trial: The Leesa Original Hybrid comes with a fairly short sleep trial compared to some other bed-in-box mattress companies, but this still gives you over three months to try it out.
- Warranty: This mattress also comes with a relatively brief warranty coverage when compared to other mattresses we have tested but since it’s recommended to change your mattress every 7-10 years, it has you covered for the recommended duration of use.
Motion isolation is how well a mattress can observe a sleeper’s movement. To test this, we placed a glass of red wine on the bed and had our tester roll around. We noticed very little wine moved around during this test, showing that it would make a great mattress for couples who don’t want to disturb each other at night.
Earning a perfect score, the Leesa Original Hybrid is a bed with great edge support. When our testers sat on the end of the bed, we observed minimal dipping from their legs. It also gave excellent support when they lay on the edge. If you like to take advantage of your mattress’ entire surface or use the end of your bed to get ready in the morning, then this bed is a great option for you.
Pressure relief is an important quality to look for in a mattress so that you can wake up free of body aches. We use a pressure map to see if there are any areas of pressure buildup. Images with green and blue mean the mattress does a great job of relieving pressure, while areas of red and yellow mean there are some buildup areas.
During our evaluation, we had a lighter and heavier weight tester lay on their side and their back. Both had mostly greens and blues in their pressure map images. The heavier weight tester had a little spot of red in the shoulder area when on their side, but nothing to be concerned about.
Check out our top picks for the best mattresses for heavy people.
Where Does It Fall on the Firmness Scale?
The Leesa Original Hybrid is about a 6.5/10 on the firmness scale, or the industry’s standard for medium-firm. Since it’s a hybrid, it does a good job of using foam layers for comfort and a coil system for a firmer support.
Does the Leesa Original Hybrid Sleep Cool?
Like most hybrid mattresses, the Leesa Original Hybrid sleeps very cool. The top layer uses premium foam to provide airflow at night. It’s also wrapped in a cool-to-the-touch cover that uses breathable polyester.
What Sleeping Position Does It Work For?
Since this bed has a medium firmness, we feel it would work best for all sleeping positions.
- As our pressure relief evaluation showed, it provides great relief to side sleepers and back sleepers of all sizes.
- Stomach sleepers will also do well with this mattress since it keeps their back in a neutral position.
- The Leesa Original Hybrid would also be a great choice for combination sleepers since it scored high in our responsiveness evaluation.
How Much Weight Does the Leesa Original Hybrid Mattress Support?
The Leesa Original Hybrid can hold up to 350 lbs per side or 700 lbs total. This is slightly more than Leesa’s all-foam mattresses, which can hold 300 lbs per size or 600 lbs total.
What Foundations or Bed Frames Are Compatible?
Leesa recommends using a sturdy support with your Original Hybrid mattress. This includes metal bed frames, platform beds, and adjustable bases. They encourage avoiding using bunkie boards or the floor since neither option promotes airflow.
Leesa Original Hybrid Mattress Materials
The Leesa Original Hybrid’s design includes three foam layers and a coil system. See what’s inside:
- Cover: Like all of Leesa’s other mattresses, the Original Hybrid comes with a signature white and gray striped cover that’s cool to the touch.
- Premium Memory Foam (1″): The Leesa Original Hybrid’s first layer consists of pressure-relieving memory foam.
- High Performance Foam (1.5″): This layer includes high-performance foam that gives a bounce feel and cool sleeping environment.
- Spring Unit (8″): The bulk of the mattress consists of a pocket spring system that provides excellent edge support and air flow.
- High-Density Base Support Foam Layer: The Leesa Original Hybrid’s bottom layer includes a high-density support base that provides stability to the entire structure.
|Twin||38” x 75” x 11″||$949|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 11″||$999|
|Full||54” x 75” x 11″||$1,199|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 11″||$1,299|
|King||76” x 80” x 11″||$1,599|
|Cal King||72” x 84” x 11″||$1,599|
*Prices do not reflect exclusive offers or discounts. Click below to see the best price for the Leesa Original Hybrid mattress.
What’s Unboxing Like?
The Leesa Original Hybrid comes to your doorstep in a tall, rectangular box. It was very easy to unbox and took our team 1:28 minutes to set up. We noticed a slight off-gassing smell, but this went away pretty quickly.
Leesa also offers white-glove delivery for an additional fee. You can add this to your cart during checkout to have a representative remove your old mattress and set up your new one.
Learn about what shipping and other purchase details look like with Leesa.
|Delivery||Free, no-contact delivery|
|Trial Period||100 nights|
|Return Policy||Free returns, minus $100 shipping fee for Hawaii and Alaska residents|
|Financing||Available through Affirm|
Shipping and Delivery
All Leesa mattresses are made to order and ship within 3-5 business days. Leesa ships through FedEx Ground to all 50 states and Canada. They also offer contactless delivery. After ordering your Leesa Hybrid Original, you will receive a shipping confirmation email with tracking details letting you know when your mattress is headed out to your address.
Sleep Trial Period
Leesa offers mattress customers a 100-night sleep trial to really get a feel for the Original Hybrid. They ask that you try the bed out for at least 30 days before initiating a return so you can allow your body to get used to the materials. If you decide you don’t like the mattress, Leesa will coordinate pickup from your home and refund you the full purchase price.
Keep in mind that the sleep trial and warranty are voided if your Leesa Hybrid Original mattress leaves the country where you purchased it.
Leesa Original Hybrid Mattress Warranty
The Leesa Original Hybrid comes with a 10-year full replacement limited warranty. This means that Leesa will either replace or repair your mattress if any defects occur during the first 10 years that you own it. Your warranty covers the following instances during normal usage:
- Any physical flaws in the craftsmanship of the mattress, causing permanent damage to the memory foam
- Deterioration of the mattress, resulting in visible indentations greater than 1”
- Defects in the mattress’ cover, causing problems with the seams and zipper
Leesa Customer Service
Leesa’s customer care team is available Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. and Saturday through Sunday from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. You can reach them through one of the following methods:
- Email email@example.com
- Call 1-844-335-3372
- Live chat on Leesa’s website
If you decide during your sleep trial that you’re unhappy with the Leesa Original Hybrid mattress, you can return it for a full refund, minus the $100 shipping fee for Alaska and Hawaii customers.
To initiate a return, call or email the customer sales team. After they validate your return, they will help facilitate the return process. As a certified B Corp, Leesa donates returned mattresses to those in need.
Is the Leesa Original Hybrid Right for You?
Let’s recap to see if the Leesa Original Hybrid mattress is right for you. Like Leesa’s Sapira Hybrid, this is a high-quality hybrid mattress with cooling technology. It comes at a low price, appealing to those shopping on a budget. Plus, this makes a great mattress for couples who sleep together since it has amazing edge support and motion isolation. The mattress also utilizes a breathable cover and coil system that promotes airflow so you don’t have to go to sleep hot.
This mattress may not be a great pick if you’re a traditional memory foam lover who wants a sinking feeling. We also don’t recommend the Leesa Original Hybrid for those who want more time to test it out since it only comes with a 100-night sleep trial. For an all-foam bed with a longer trial period, consider the Nectar Premier, which comes with a 365-night sleep trial.
How is this mattress different from the Leesa Sapira Hybrid?
The Leesa Original Hybrid comes at a more affordable price than the Leesa Sapira Hybrid and an additional layer of foam at the bottom to help keep the bed stable. However, since the Sapira Hybrid is priced higher, it comes with hole-punched foam to promote breathability.
What is a hybrid mattress?
A hybrid mattress is a bed that combines layers of foam or latex with spring coil units. They have the responsive, bouncy feel that traditional spring mattresses have while also having motion isolation and pressure relief from all-foam mattresses.
Where can I test out the Leesa Original Hybrid mattress?
While Leesa offers a sleep trial to try out the mattresses from the comfort of your home, you can also test them out before buying. The Leesa Original Hybrid mattress is available to test at Pottery Barn, West Elm, and Macy’s stores.