Lucid 10" Gel Memory Foam Mattress Review
By clicking on the product links in this article, Mattress Advisor may receive a commission fee at no cost to you, the reader. Read full disclosure statement.
Quick takeaways: The Lucid 10” Gel Memory Foam mattress delivers contouring support at a competitive price. Its medium-firm feel is well-suited for most sleepers, and with gel-infused, ventilated foam, it sleeps much cooler than most foam mattresses at the same price point.
Who Is the Lucid Mattress Best for?
|Lucid 10” Gel Memory Foam is best for:||Lucid 10” Gel Memory Foam may not be best for:|
The Lucid 10” Gel Memory Foam mattress is an all-foam bed designed to suit the average sleeper. With a medium-firm feel and the contouring pressure relief that you expect from a memory foam mattress, back sleepers and combination sleepers of all weights will find what they need. But what really sets Lucid apart is their budget price.
Read on to learn more about the Lucid 10” Gel Memory Foam mattress.
Highlighting the best features:
- The Lucid Gel Memory Foam mattress sleeps cool for an all-foam bed. Gel beads dispersed throughout the comfort layer absorb body heat, while a ventilated, open-cell foam structure facilitates air flow. The result is excess body heat being absorbed and dissipated.
- At less than $350 for a queen-size mattress, you’d be hard-pressed to find a better value for a memory foam bed.
- Lucid’s upper layer is incredibly cushy, relieving pain at problem areas like the shoulders, hips, and lower back.
- Weighing just over 50 lbs for the queen size, this mattress is incredibly lightweight, making it one of the easiest mattresses to move. And since it arrives at your door tightly compressed, it’s easy to navigate through tight doorways and challenging stairwells.
- For such an affordable mattress, the Lucid is high-quality. It’s made in the USA using CertiPUR-US certified foams, meaning it has been independently tested for quality and safety.
At Mattress Advisor, we’ve tested over 150 mattresses in our in-house lab using our 14-point evaluation. Until we get Lucid in our lab, we’ll focus on scoring the mattress based on the complete shopping experience.
Learn about our review process.
|Mattress Advisor Test||Score (Out of 10)|
⭐Total Customer Experience Score for the Lucid 10” Mattress: 8.1/10⭐
The Pros and the Cons
- Motion Transfer: With two layers of memory foam, movements are readily dampened. For couples who are woken up by one another’s movements, a bed that isolates motion can be the difference between deep, restorative sleep and a night of disrupted slumber.
- Pressure Relief: Because the Lucid Gel Memory Foam mattress is a 100% foam bed, it does a great job at cushioning major pressure points. The top of the mattress is made from a plush comfort layer that delivers the hugging contour that you expect from an all-foam mattress.
- Made in the USA: Lucid manufactures their mattresses in the United States, supporting the local economy and ensuring high-quality standards.
- Budget-Friendly: Lucid’s Gel Memory Foam mattress is one of the least expensive memory foam beds. At less than $350 for a queen-size mattress, the Lucid is one of the best cheap mattresses on the market.
- Durability: Customer reviews suggest that the Lucid mattress is not the most durable mattress. This is supported by the fact that Lucid once offered a 25-year warranty but now offers an industry-standard 10-year warranty.
- Off-Gassing: The Lucid emits a noticeable odor for the first few hours to few days. Because it’s tightly compressed upon arrival, it takes time for the scent to dissipate.
- Sleep Trial: Most online mattress retailers offer a trial period of 100 days or more, during which you can try out your mattress and return it at no cost. Lucid’s trial period is just 30 days from purchase, much shorter than the average.
- Responsiveness: Since the Lucid consists of layers of memory foam, it creates a sinking feeling, making it difficult to change positions at night.
The 100% foam construction doesn’t lead to firm edge support, which is a problem if you like to sit on the edge of your mattress or sleep along the perimeter. There was noticeable sinkage when our tester sat and lay on the edge of the bed, however, our tester still felt supported.
It’s important for a bed to provide excellent pressure relief at night so you wake up feeling refreshed. To measure this, we use a pressure map to see if there are any areas of pressure buildup for our testers. This mattress had no major pressure buildup areas, making it a great option for those who typically wake up with aches and pains.
One area the Lucid Gel Memory Foam mattress really hit the ballpark in was motion transfer. The memory foam layers do a good job at isolating your motions so you can toss and turn without waking up your partner.
The Lucid 10” Gel Memory Foam mattress is a medium-firm mattress, rating about a 6.5 on the 1–10 firmness scale. Lucid offers both thicker and thinner versions of this mattress; thinner mattresses are firmer and thicker are plusher.
Does It Work for Your Favorite Sleep Position?
The Lucid mattress is a great bed for all back sleepers thanks to its plush comfort foam and durable polyfoam. It also suits heavy side sleepers because the extra weight leads to a mattress that feels softer.
If you’re on the lighter side, head over to our best mattress for side sleepers page for more recommendations. This also isn’t a great mattress for combination sleepers since it scored low in our responsiveness test and may provide discomfort for stomach sleepers who need a mattress that lifts their hips.
Can It Regulate Your Body Temperature?
The Lucid 10” Gel Memory Foam mattress performs average at temperature regulation. Its cover is breathable and designed to create an air layer along the mattress surface that dissipates body heat. Underneath the cover, the comfort layer is designed to encourage a comfortable night’s sleep. Gel beads dispersed throughout absorb body heat, while the open-cell structure and ventilation allow air to circulate and sweep away heat. Despite these features, we didn’t feel like it was very cooling as some other mattresses we have tested.
Does It Have a Weight Limit?
According to Lucid’s customer service, Lucid has not done any weight tests. As such, they are unable to say exactly how much weight this mattress can support. On their website, they recommend no more than 500 lbs.
What Foundations Perform Best with Lucid?
The Lucid mattress performs best with foundations that are breathable and supportive. Some solid choices include:
- A traditional foundation and box spring
- Metal frames with metal grids
- Slatted foundations (with 3” or less between slats)
- Adjustable bases
Inside the Mattress
The Lucid mattress is a 100% foam bed made using a high-density support foam and cushy memory foam top layer. Learn more about what makes each section of the Lucid mattress unique.
- Breathable Tencel™ Cover: Lucid’s eco-friendly mattress cover was designed to promote temperature neutrality. Made from wood cellulose, this Tencel™ blend fabric allows for ample airflow. The result is a cool, dry sleeping surface, great for those who sleep hot. The cover is removable and can be machine washed and dried.
- Gel Memory Foam Layer (3.5″): The Lucid mattress has a 3.5” comfort layer made from plush gel-infused memory foam. The foam is soft and closely conforms to the body, melting away pressure at pressure points like hips and shoulders. With built-in ventilation and gel beads throughout, this top layer helps to keep the sleeper cool and dry all night long. The gel absorbs excess body heat while the ventilated regions allow airflow that whisks away trapped body heat.
- Transition Foam (2″): This transitional layer helps provide cushioning between the soft gel foam and supportive base foam.
- Bamboo Charcoal Infused Base Foam (4.5″): This sturdy polyurethane foam contributes support for optimal spine alignment and adds stability and durability to this all-foam mattress. Plus, it’s infused with bamboo charcoal, helping your mattress smell fresh.
Lucid 10” Gel Memory Foam Mattress Sizes, Dimensions, and Pricing
The Lucid 10″ Gel Memory Foam mattress comes in three different firmness options, with models ranging from twin to California King.
|Twin||39” x 75” x 10″||35 lbs.||$190-$250|
|Twin XL||39” x 80” x 10″||36 lbs.||$230-$250|
|Full||54” x 75” x 10″||49 lbs.||$275-$310|
|Queen Short||60” x 75” x 10″||52 lbs.||$312|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 10″||55 lbs.||$322-$350|
|King||76” x 80” x 10″||59 lbs.||$439-$499|
|Cal King||72″ x 84″ x 10″||59 lbs.||$424-$441|
*Prices do not reflect exclusive offers or discounts. Click below to see the best price for the Lucid 10” Gel Memory Foam mattress.
|Delivery||Free delivery within the 48 contiguous states, ships 2-5 business days|
|Trial Period||30 days from date of purchase|
|Return Policy||Free returns|
|Financing||Available through Amazon|
Shipping with Amazon
The Lucid 10” Gel Memory Foam mattress is only available through Amazon. The mattress is available for Amazon Prime and can arrive in as little as two days from the date of purchase. Keep in mind that some sizes can take longer than others, and timing can vary based on whether or not you’re an Amazon Prime member as well as where you live and availability.
You do not need to be home when the mattress arrives. It will be delivered to your doorstep compressed in a relatively thin, tall box. Because it’s a lightweight mattress (55 lbs. for the queen-size bed), it’s easy to move through narrow spaces such as doorways, hallways, and staircases.
Lucid does not offer white glove delivery. This means that you will need to set up your new mattress and remove your old one without their assistance.
Do You Get a Trial Period?
The Lucid 10” Gel Memory Foam mattress purchased through Amazon does not come with a typical trial period. Instead, you have 30 days from the date of purchase to return it for the full cost of the mattress. There are no fees when you return the bed within 30 days from when you purchased it.
How Long Does the Warranty Last?
Lucid once offered a 25-year warranty, but now its mattresses come with a standard 10-year non-prorated warranty. Your 10-year limited warranty starts from the date of purchase and covers materials and workmanship defects.
To submit a warranty claim, contact Lucid directly at email@example.com. If approved, Lucid will repair, refund, or replace your mattress.
Lucid Customer Service
Lucid customer service is easy to get a hold of. You can
- Call them at 1-888-975-8243 from 9 A.M. – 5 P.M. MST
- Use the live chat feature on their website from 9 A.M. – 5 P.M. MST
- Send them an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
When we’ve reached out to their customer service, they have been quick to respond, knowledgeable, and polite.
How Many Days Are in the Return Policy?
When you buy a Lucid mattress through Amazon, you have 30 days from the date of purchase to return it if you decide to do so. Amazon makes returning mattresses simple. All you need to do is
- Log into your Amazon account.
- Go to “Returns & Orders.”
- Find your mattress order and click on “Return or replace items.”
- Follow the prompts. You do not have to go and ship the mattress yourself. Instead, Amazon will work with you to schedule removal and return shipping.
- After these steps are completed, Amazon will issue you a full refund.
Is Lucid the Best Mattress for Your Needs?
We love this mattress for most back and side sleepers. So long as you weigh over 130 lbs, the balance of cushy give and balancing support helps to keep the spine properly aligned. The foam is responsive, meaning that it quickly adjusts to your movements.
The Lucid 10” Gel Memory Foam Mattress is also a good fit for couples on a budget. Memory foam absorbs movement, limiting motion transfer. If you wake up when your partner moves, the Lucid can save you from a night of restless sleep.
The Lucid mattress may not be for those that sleep on their stomachs and those that want a durable mattress. If this sounds like you, we recommend trying out the Layla mattress.
- Lucid vs Zinus: Like Lucid, Zinus has a line of affordable mattresses available on Amazon. Zinus offers more variety in their mattress selection while Lucid keeps their prices lower. Check out our lineup of the best Zinus mattresses on Amazon.
- Lucid vs Allswell: The Allswell is an affordable hybrid mattress. Allswell is cooler than Lucid and more responsive, but Lucid offers better pressure relief and motion isolation. Read our full Allswell mattress review.
- Lucid vs Nectar: Nectar is a higher-quality value mattress that arrives in a box. Nectar is more durable and offers better edge support than the Lucid mattress. Read our full Nectar mattress review.
- Plush Memory Foam Mattress: Another 100% foam mattress with a medium-soft to medium feel.
- Natural Latex and Memory Foam Mattress: The combination of cool, responsive latex and cushy memory foam delivers a comfy, soft feel great for lightweight side sleepers.
- Latex Foam Mattress: This medium-firm mattress is naturally responsive and cool, an excellent mattress for combination and back sleepers.
- Bamboo Charcoal and Aloe Vera Hybrid Mattress: Charcoal and aloe-infused memory foam is paired with individually encased coils for enhanced odor elimination and temperature neutrality.
- Latex Hybrid Mattress: A latex foam and innerspring hybrid with a medium-firm feel with a moderate give and responsive bounce.
Where can I buy the Lucid 10” Gel Memory Foam mattress?
While you can buy most of Lucid’s mattresses on their website, the Lucid 10” Gel Memory Foam mattress is sold exclusively through Amazon. The same warranty and return policy applies when a Lucid mattress is purchased through Amazon or the Lucid website. It’s also available on overstock.com and wayfair.com.
Can I finance my Lucid mattress?
Lucid does not offer mattress financing but Amazon offers monthly financing to those approved for their Amazon Rewards Visa Card.
Can I sleep on my mattress when it arrives?
Your new Lucid mattress will come tightly compressed. It takes roughly two days for it to fully expand. Only then do you want to sleep on the Lucid mattress.
Why does my new mattress have an odor?
Memory foam mattresses initially release an odor, which is known as off-gassing. The odor typically dissipates within a few hours, but it can take up to three days before it’s completely gone. To accelerate this process, boost ventilation by opening windows and using a fan.
Can I clean my Lucid mattress?
You can spot clean your Lucid mattress. The cover is removable, machine washable, and tumble dry. However, it’s not waterproof. To keep your mattress clean, it’s best to buy a waterproof mattress topper.