The LuuF Mattress Review
By clicking on the product links in this article, Mattress Advisor may receive a commission fee at no cost to you, the reader. Read full disclosure statement.
All told: The LuuF mattress is constructed of high quality foam and pocketed coils. It’s available in four firmness levels, and is considered an especially comfortable mattress for combo sleepers and those who get hot at night. The LuuF has middle-of-the-road price points, a standard sleep trial, and 10-year warranty.
Who It’s Best For
|LuuF Hybrid is best for:||LuuF Hybrid may not be best for:|
LuuF is America’s largest privately owned mattress company. They’ve been selling mattresses for over 60 years, and get this—their mattresses are handcrafted by 18 craftsmen based in their Wisconsin factory. We feel fancy just writing that.
Why we love it:
- LuuF makes only high quality mattresses that are 100% sourced and made to order in the USA.
- You can choose from four tailored firmness options, including plush, luxury firm, firm, and max support.
- The LuuF is a great mattress for those with back pain, thanks to a contouring construction that keeps your spine aligned.
- LuuF customers benefit from a standard 100-night sleep trial and 10-year warranty.
Video Review of the LuuF Hybrid Mattress
You could keep reading…or you could watch our in-lab test for a peek inside our process. Check out our video review* below!
*The LuuF Mattress was previously known as the Luft.
When we bring a new mattress into our sleep lab, we do a whole lot more than pour wine and roll around on the mattress. We use scientific processes to evaluate 14 key categories, which we’ve narrowed down over 1,200+ hours of testing. The total Mattress Advisor score is a weighted average of all the combined scores. Take a look at how the LuuF performed below.
|Mattress Advisor Test||Score (Out of 10)|
⭐Total Score for the LuuF Hybrid Mattress: 8.6/10⭐
- Spinal Alignment: Luuf’s supportive coil system evenly distributes your body weight so your upper back and lumbar region stay in a nice, neutral position all night long.
- Responsiveness: Luuf’s buoyant comfort layers keep you from getting stuck in an old body impression that was so five minutes ago.
- Cooling: The LuuF has a breathable construction that enables plenty of airflow, which keeps you cool and sweat-free.
- Edge Support: Worried about rolling off of your bed mid-dream? Fear not—we felt very supported near the edges of the bed during our edge support tests.
- Your LuuF may have a slight off-gassing odor when you first unbox it, which is typical of mattresses with foam layers. The smell is nontoxic and should go away within a few hours.
- LuuF isn’t the best mattress for those with achy joints, since it earned only moderate scores for pressure relief.
We have a lot of fun during our motion transfer tests—mainly because they involve wine. For our first test, we place a tall-stem glass of wine on the top of the mattress and ask a tester to roll around a bit. The wine stayed pretty darn mellow, so we gave the LuuF an 8.5/10 on our wine test.
Next, we swap out the wine for another person. Both of our testers could feel movement when the other person shifted around, so they gave LuuF a combined score of 7/10 for the motion test. When we averaged out these two scores, the Luuf earned a 7.75/10 for motion isolation.
We measure pressure relief by asking our testers to hang out on a heat map on the mattress surface. Cooler colors like blue and green indicate areas of low pressure, while warmer tones like red and yellow mean that there is some stress on pressure points in that area.
We saw a fair bit of red near our testers’ shoulders and hips, so we gave the LuuF a 7.25/10 for pressure relief.
Spinal alignment basically means that you have good posture while sleeping. We check to see how well a mattress keeps your spine aligned by asking our testers to lie on their sides and then track the curve of their backs. Ideally we want to see a straight line.
Both of our testers had almost perfectly straight spines, which equals less back pain and a whopping score of 9.5/10 for spine alignment.
We tested the luxury firm LuuF, which has a medium-firm feel, or about 6/10 on the firmness scale. We call this the universal firmness, since it’s soft enough for most side sleepers and supportive enough for back and stomach sleepers.
Sleeping Position Support
The LuuF luxury firm is best for back sleepers and stomach sleepers. Side sleepers will feel more comfortable on the plush option.
The LuuF earned an 8/10 for cooling, thanks to graphite infused foams and a construction that prioritizes breathability.
The plush, luxury firm, and firm LuuF mattresses will feel the most comfortable for those with average body types. If you have a bigger figure, then the high density foam in the max support LuuF is a better choice.
Your LuuF is compatible with traditional mattress foundations like new box springs and platform beds. Make sure that queen, king, and cal king sizes have a sturdy center support and at least five to six legs. Slatted beds should not have more than 4” between the slats. If you’re waiting on a new bed frame, you can also put the LuuF on the floor and use it right away.
A Look at Construction
Want to know how the LuuF looks on the inside? Take a peek behind the proverbial curtain.
- Mattress Cover: Made with a breathable stretch fabric
- Top Layers: Several layers of gel-infused foam in the plush, luxury firm, and max support models; body adaptive foam is used in the firm mattress
- Cooling Foam: 2” of temperature regulating graphene-infused memory foam; this layer is only 1” in luxury firm model
- Transition Layer: 1” of soft Serene foam in the plush version, 2” of high density adaptive foam in the luxury firm version, and 1” of extra firm Serene foam in the firmest version (this layer isn’t in the firm LuuF mattress)
- Support Layer: The plush mattress has nearly 1,000 Bolsa coils divided into five ergonomic zones, while the luxury firm, firm, and max support mattresses have 1,000+ Quantum coils and seven zones that provide spine alignment and prevent sinkage
|Twin||38″ x 75″ x 13″||$1,399|
|Twin XL||38″ x 80″ x 13″||$1,499|
|Full||54″ x 75″ x 13″||$1,899|
|Queen||60″ x 80″ x 13″||$2,499|
|King||76″ x 80″ x 13″||$2,999|
|Cal King||72″ x 84″ x 13″||$3,199|
*Prices do not reflect exclusive offers or discounts. Click below to see the best price for the LuuF Hybrid mattress.
Unboxing the LuuF Hybrid
Our LuuF mattress was delivered in a 20″ x 20″ x 40″ box. The queen size weighs 120lbs so you’ll definitely want to enlist help from a friend during setup. It took us just around two minutes to set up our LuuF. It inflated instantly, and we noticed only a slight off-gassing odor that went away after a few hours.
Next we’ll cover all the important details you’ll want to know before buying a LuuF mattress.
|Delivery||Free shipping, bed-in-a-box|
|Trial Period||100 nights|
|Return Policy||Free returns|
|Financing||Yes, via Affirm and Katapult|
Shipping and Delivery
Your LuuF mattress is built within 3-4 days of placing your order and is delivered in 1-5 business days. Shipping is free via UPS or FedEx. Right now LuuF doesn’t offer old mattress removal.
LuuF customers get a 100-night sleep trial, which is standard for the online mattress industry. LuuF requires you to sleep on your new mattress for a minimum of 21 nights before requesting a return or exchange. Keep in mind that you’re only allowed three sleep trials per household.
The LuuF mattress warranty lasts for 10 years and only applies to the original purchaser. Make sure you hold onto your proof of purchase, since you’ll need it to make a claim.
If you notice visible indentations deeper than 1.5” or cosmetic damages that affect performance of the mattress, reach out to the customer service team, and they’ll determine whether or not you’re eligible for a mattress replacement.
LuuF Customer Service Team
The LuuF customer service team is available Monday-Friday, from 9AM–9PM, EST. You can reach them by calling or texting 833.LUUF.BED or emailing email@example.com.
Returning Your Mattress
During the sleep trial you can return your LuuF mattress for full refund. They’ll arrange for the mattress to be picked up, but it has to be clean and undamaged. Email the LuuF customer service team at firstname.lastname@example.org to initiate your return.
Should You Buy It?
With three different firmness options that suit every sleep position, we say go for it! The firmer options are best for back and stomach sleepers, while the plush option gives side sleepers extra pressure relief.
The LuuF is handcrafted with care, so you can count on superior quality and durability. If you are on a tight budget, a lower cost alternative is the Love & Sleep mattress by Nest Bedding.
Comparing the LuuF
LuuF is an established mattress company, but how does it compare to newcomers? Here’s what we found when we put the LuuF performance scores next to the scores for four other popular mattresses.
- The Layla flippable mattress has a medium soft and medium firm side—all in one bed. The Layla and LuuF scored similarly across the board, but the Layla is slightly more expensive.
- The Casper Hybrid mattress generally outperformed the LuuF, except for spinal alignment. The two mattresses are priced very similarly.
- The Alexander Signature Hybrid mattress by Nest Bedding is a touch more affordable, but LuuF scored better in nearly all categories except responsiveness.
- The Tuft & Needle Hybrid mattress provides better pressure relief than the LuuF, but otherwise the LuuF takes the cake and costs you less.
Need a mattress for your kiddos? You can also shop the Little Luuf mattress, which is made with CertiPUR-US certified foams, just like the grown-up mattress models.
- LuuF Simplicity Universal Comfort Mattress: $999/queen size
- LuuF Tencel Sheets: Available in white, grey, and taupe, $149.99/queen size
- Gel Dough Firm Pillow: Thick gel memory foam pillow with ventilated design, $129.99/queen size
- LuuF Platform Bed: 14.5” tall with screw-in legs, $349/queen size
- 5 Sided Deep Pocket Mattress Protector: Waterproof, protects against allergens and dust mites, $149.99/queen size
How much do LuuF mattresses weigh?
The LuuF mattress weighs 100–150lbs, depending on the size.
Does the LuuF mattress have a fire barrier?
Yep! LuuF uses a non-toxic cotton and rayon fire barrier under the mattress cover.
How do I care for my LuuF mattress?
What is Tencel fabric?
Tencel is a natural fiber produced from woods like eucalyptus, oak, and birch. LuuF uses only sustainably sourced Tencel products.