Molecule 1 Mattress Review
Molecule 1 Mattress Review
✔️Last updated: October 2022
|✔️Customer Rating: 4.8/5|
|✔️Mattress Advisor Score: 8.4/10|
|✔️Free Shipping & Returns|
|✔️100-Night Sleep Trial|
Get 2 FREE Pillows with Any Mattress Purchase
Overview: The Molecule 1 is an all-foam mattress engineered to support optimal recovery while sleeping. Cooling foam layers help you stay cool while zoned support foam provides exceptional pressure relief and spine alignment. It even comes with free returns and a lifetime warranty.
Is the Molecule 1 Best for You?
|Molecule 1 is best for:||Molecule 1 may not be best for:|
- The Molecule 1 mattress is formulated for restorative sleep. By promoting optimal thermoregulation, the Molecule 1 is engineered to increase the quality of your sleep, and with it, your body’s ability to heal from exercise or everyday wear-and-tear.
- The Molecule 1 is one of very few eco-friendly foam mattresses. This is thanks to a proprietary manufacturing process that reduces emissions by 97% when compared to industry-standard manufacturing processes.
- Athletes love the Molecule mattresses, and you don’t have to take our word for it—they’re endorsed by professional athletes including Russell Wilson, Alex Morgan, and Michael Phelps.
Here at Mattress Advisor, we test mattresses on a series of tests to access their performance and functionality. Click to learn more about our review process.
|Mattress Advisor Test||Score (Out of 10)|
⭐Total Score for the Molecule 1 Mattress: 8.4/10⭐
Molecule 1 Performance Highlights
- Pressure Relief: Thanks to zoned support, the hips and shoulders receive extra cushion that melts pressure from the pressure points.
- Spine Alignment: Zoned foam delivers exceptional lumbar support and alignment, something that could help people with lower back pain and body aches.
- Motion Transfer: The Molecule’s all-foam construction absorbs motion, helping you and your partner sleep soundly.
- Responsiveness: The Molecule 1 doesn’t have much responsiveness, making it difficult to change positions.
- Cooling: Despite having breathable open-cell foam, gel microbeads, and a cooling mattress cover, the Molecule 1 sleeps pretty hot.
- Unknown weight limit: Without a set weight limit, it’s hard to say how well this mattress supports plus-size sleepers. The average foam mattress is best for light-to-average weight people.
If you are someone who likes to sleep near the edge of your mattress or use your bed as a seat when putting on your shoes, you know how important edge support is. Unfortunately, the Molecule 1 didn’t do very well in this category. When our tester sat on the edge, there was significant dipping. For a mattress with a more supportive edge, consider the WinkBed Luxury Firm mattress.
The Molecule 1 has a comfort layer of soft foam for initial cushion and a zoned transition layer for even weight distribution. Because the foams are designed to cushion the hips, shoulders, and other problem areas while supporting the body’s core, the Molecule 1 boasts the pressure relief that side sleepers need.
The Molecule 1 is a medium firmness mattress, registering at a 5 on the 1-10 firmness scale. A plush comfort layer hugs the curves while zoned support foam keeps the hips from sinking in too low, delivering a soft yet supportive feel.
What Sleeping Positions Does it Support?
With a softly contouring comfort layer and zoned support second layer, the Molecule 1 balances pressure relief and support in a way that works well for every sleeping position. The zoned support foam eases pressure from the shoulders while ensuring that the body’s core doesn’t sink too low, providing good alignment no matter how you sleep.
Does it Stay Cool?
Molecule took no shortcuts to ensure that they created one of the coolest foam mattresses on the market. Molecule believes that temperature regulation is the key to achieving the deep, restorative sleep that athletes require to feel rejuvenated come morning. This includes open cell foam, a cooling cover, and gel beads.
Despite Molecule’s careful care in making a cooling mattress, we felt this bed was pretty hot due to the thick layers of memory foam. For a cooler mattress, consider one of our best mattresses for hot sleepers, like the Serta Arctic, which has a heat-absorbing top layer called the Reactex System for ideal temperature regulation.
How Much Weight Can the Mattress Support?
The Molecule 1 mattress doesn’t have any set weight limit. From our experience with all-foam mattresses, we’d recommend this bed for people weighing less than 230 lbs. The medium firmness, all-foam construction, and relatively soft top layer simply don’t offer the firm support required by most heavy people, particularly back and stomach sleepers.
What Bed Frames/Foundations are Compatible?
The Molecule 1 mattress is compatible with any type of supportive foundation. You can even sleep with your Molecule mattress directly on the floor. If you choose a slatted foundation, make sure the slats are no more than 3” apart. If you choose an adjustable base, make sure it’s compatible with a foam mattress.
A Look Inside
The Molecule mattress is constructed from 3 carefully engineered layers of proprietary foam:
The Molecule mattress is constructed from 3 carefully engineered layers of proprietary foam:
- Advanced Cover: The cover material combines both heat and moisture-wicking technology to help regulate temperature as you sleep. This works by using a temperature-sensitive polymer that responds to your changing body temperature throughout the night.
- RestoreFLO™ Comfort Layer (2”): A soft foam cradles the curves for immediate pressure relief. This layer delivers even more cooling properties with cool gel microbeads and an open-cell structure that supports airflow.
- RecoveryFLO™ 3-Zone Response Layer (3”): This recovery layer uses a unique design with a 3D geometric surface. This surface is made of three parts: small diamond zones around the head for soft comfort, large hexagon zones in the center for pressure relief and lumbar support, and more small diamond zoning for softening around the feet.
- ContourFLO™ Support Layer (7”): This proprietary high-density polyfoam provides a supportive foundation for the Molecule mattress. This firm foam layer adds more breathability and promotes healthy spinal alignment.
|Twin||38” x 75” x 12.25”||46 lbs.||$699|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 12.25”||48 lbs.||$699|
|Full||53” x 75” x 12.25”||60 lbs.||$799|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 12.25”||72 lbs.||$899|
|King||76” x 80” x 12.25”||87 lb.||$1,099|
|Cal King||72” x 84” x 12.25”||87 lbs.||$1,099|
*Prices do not reflect exclusive offers or discounts. Click below to see the best price for the Molecule 1 mattress.
Unboxing and Setting Up the Mattress
The Molecule mattress comes compressed in a box for easy setup. Simply carry the box to your bedroom, unbox the mattress, and set the still plastic-wrapped mattress on your foundation. Next, remove the plastic wrap and unfold the bed.
Your new mattress will quickly puff up to life, although it can take up to 72 hours to fully expand. You may notice a slight odor, but it’s unlikely to be strong thanks to the air filtration technology that Molecule uses during mattress manufacturing.
Shopping with Molecule
If this is your first time buying a bed-in-a-box mattress, you may not know what to expect. Here’s a breakdown.
|Delivery||Free shipping; delivered in 8-15 days|
|Trial Period||100-night trial period|
|Warranty||Lifetime limited warranty|
|Return Policy||Full refund during sleep trial|
|Financing||Available through Klarna|
Molecule’s Shipping and Delivery
Molecule offers free FedEx shipping anywhere in the contiguous United States with a fee for shipments to Alaska and Hawaii. Most orders arrive within 8-15 days, with 7-10 days for fulfillment and 1-5 days for transit.* The Molecule mattress comes compressed in a cardboard box. You do not need to be home to sign for the package.
*Expect delays in shipping times due to COVID-19. Check on Molecule’s website or contact their customer service for an estimate of when to expect your order.
The Molecule Sleep Trial
Molecule mattresses come with the most common trial period: 100 nights with a 30-day waiting period. You get to try out the Molecule in your own bedroom risk-free for 100 nights to ensure that it’s the best mattress for you.
If you decide to return it, you must wait 30 days before initiating a return. This break-in period allows both your body time to adjust to a new bed and the mattress time to fully break in.
How the Warranty Works
The Molecule 1 mattress has an infinity warranty, meaning you’re covered from defects for the entire time that you own the bed. The warranty covers things like indentations of greater than 1” along the sleeping surface.
To submit a claim, send an email to email@example.com with the following information.
- Your order number or the first and last name of the person who purchased the mattress.
- Description of the defect that you believe to be covered under the warranty.
- A video or photo that clearly shows the defect.
Molecule may take up to 7 business days to get back to you about whether the claim was approved.
Molecule Customer Service Contact Info
Molecule customer service can be reached Monday to Friday from 8am to 5pm PST. To get in touch with a Molecule representative, you can use any of the following methods.
- Live Chat: Visit onmolecule.com
- Call: 1-833-365-7378
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
We’ve received immediate customer service assistance during their business hours when using the live chat feature. Their representatives have impressed us with their knowledge and friendliness.
Molecule’s Return Policy
You can return your Molecule 1 mattress for a full refund during the 100-night trial period. Just remember that you must wait 30 days, since it takes some time to truly get a sense of how the bed works for you.
To initiate a return, reach out to Molecule’s customer service team and they’ll help you with next steps. This typically involves a local charity or recycling center picking the mattress up from your home, after which you can expect a refund.
Should You Buy the Molecule 1?
The Molecule 1 mattress is a recovery-focused bed. Its outstanding cooling technology supports deep, restful sleep that’s beneficial not only for athletes, but hot sleepers, too. With a plush comfort layer and zoned support foam, the Molecule delivers the balance of cushion and support that can help relieve body aches and pains.
While the Molecule 1 is an excellent mattress, it’s not going to be the perfect fit for everyone. To start, it has a distinctly plush surface and medium feel that may not be firm enough for some people. The average sleeper tends to prefer a medium-firm mattress like the Casper memory foam bed.
Additionally, with its all-foam design, we don’t recommend the Molecule 1 for most plus-size people. For a mattress better at supporting bigger bodies, head over to our Big Fig Mattress Review page.
See How the Mattress Compares
The Molecule vs Other Bed-In-a-Box Mattresses
The Molecule 1 is an all-foam mattress with a price point that falls just below the typical online mattress. While most bed-in-a-box mattresses are foam or foam hybrid beds, there are some ways that the Molecule 1 stands out. To start, this bed is cooler than most, making it better for hot sleepers. In addition, its zoned foam transition layer marries contouring cushion with reliable support, great for body aches and pains.
However, the medium firmness and all-foam construction aren’t as supportive as some online mattresses, especially hybrid beds. As a result, it may not be as good of a fit for plus-size people.
The Molecule 1 vs The Molecule 2
Molecule manufactures two all-foam mattresses: the Molecule 1 and the Molecule 2. You can think of the Molecule 2 as an upgraded version of the Molecule 1. Both beds are engineered for recovery by supporting the body’s natural temperature fluctuations. However, the Molecule 2 has a few upgrades.
First, it has a BioCharge recovery layer that’s engineered to boost circulation and enhance cellular function. Molecule claims that this layer offers even more recovery support than the original Molecule 1. In addition, the zoned layer of the Molecule 2 has five zones instead of the three found in the Molecule 1, offering superior body weight distribution.
Molecule 1 FAQs
Can I try the Molecule 1 mattress in a physical store?
No, you cannot find Molecule mattresses at brick-and-mortar retail locations. Molecule is a direct-to-consumer mattress brand, which means they sell their products directly to you. By skipping the showroom, Molecule is able to sell their beds at competitive prices. Plus, you can try this mattress risk-free in your home thanks to their 100-night sleep trial.
Should I use a mattress protector over my Molecule 1 mattress?
A waterproof mattress protector is the only way to safeguard your mattress from spills or other accidents. However, Molecule cautions that some of these protectors can negatively impact the cooling properties of the Molecule 1. Use your best judgement on what works best for your sleeping experience and mattress protection.
Is the Molecule 1 more eco-friendly than other all-foam beds?
All Molecule mattresses are better for the environment than the average foam mattress. This is thanks to a variable pressure foaming manufacturing process that utilizes carbon filters and an air-sealed chamber to reduce emissions. They also use only CertiPUR-US certified foams, ensuring their beds are made without harmful chemicals like VOCs or heavy metals.