Nectar Mattress Review
Nectar Mattress Review
✔️Last updated: August 2023
|✔️Customer Rating: 4.7/5|
|✔️Mattress Advisor Score: 8.7/10|
|✔️Type: Gel Memory Foam|
|✔️Free Shipping & Returns|
|✔️365-Night Sleep Trial|
Get 33% off Sitewide
The Bottom Line: We think the Nectar Memory Foam mattress is a great choice for people looking for a memory foam mattress on a budget. With a generous full-year trial period and lifetime warranty, Nectar truly stands behind its original memory foam bed (as well as its other mattresses).
Who Is the Nectar Mattress Best For?
|Nectar is best for:||Nectar may not be best for:|
The Nectar mattress is one of the best budget mattresses you can buy online, as well as one of the best memory foam mattresses. It also has a devoted customer base. In this review, we’ll tell you everything you should know about the Nectar—including sizes, price, customer feedback, and pros and cons—to help you decide if the Nectar mattress is right for you.
What We Love About the Nectar:
- It’s one of the best mattresses for side sleepers due to its pressure-relieving properties.
- The Nectar Memory Foam mattress has a 4.7/5 customer rating, with more than 50,000 reviews.
- Nectar is so confident that they make the best mattress for the money that they offer a lifetime warranty and sleep trial period that lasts an entire year.
- You can already purchase the Nectar at a reasonable price, but the brand often runs discounts and special offers to sweeten the deal even more.
Take a look at our Nectar mattress review video and see how it performed in our testing to help you determine if this could be the mattress for you.
How did the Nectar perform when our expert reviewers put it to the test? We rate each factor on a scale of 1-10, with 10 being the best. Then we calculate our final score using a weighted average. Learn more about our review and scoring process.
|Mattress Advisor Test||Score (Out of 10)|
⭐Total Score for the Nectar Mattress: 8.7/10⭐
Pros & Cons of the Nectar Mattress
- Sleep Trial and Warranty: Nectar certainly beats most rivals by offering a full calendar year to try out their mattress and a warranty that lasts as long as you own the mattress. Typically, we see trial periods around 100 days and warranties that last for 10 years.
- Pressure Relief: We gave the Nectar an 8.5/10 for pressure relief, meaning it will appropriately cushion pressure points like hips and shoulders that are more prone to aches and pains. This makes it a great option for side sleepers.
- Responsiveness: Even though the Nectar is a memory foam bed, it still scored high in responsiveness. You can think of responsiveness as freedom of movement, so if you toss and turn throughout the night, the Nectar will quickly adjust to your sleeping positions.
- Edge Support: For a foam mattress, Nectar also scored high in edge support. If you’re an edge-of-the-bed sleeper, this will help prevent you from rolling off.
- Off-Gassing: We found the Nectar mattress to have a mild scent when we unboxed it. This is normal and should go away within a few hours. Ventilating the room will help expedite this off-gassing process.
- Spine Alignment: Nectar’s worst-performing category in Mattress Advisor testing was spine alignment (7.5/10). It’s not necessarily a disqualifying score, but be aware that optimal spine alignment can reduce the chances of neck and back pain, tossing and turning, and other sleep problems.
- Hot: Because of its all-foam construction, some customers claim that the Nectar mattress can sleep hot. The Nectar is constructed with a cooling cover and breathable foam layers, but it won’t allow for as much air circulation as an innerspring or hybrid mattress will.
- Long Delivery Times: While most Nectar products ship within 2-4 business days, Nectar does source some materials from overseas and this can lead to delayed delivery.
If you have back pain, spine alignment is one of the main things you should look for in a bed. A straight spine keeps kinks out of your back and improves posture. So to test how good spinal alignment is for all you side sleepers, we each laid on our sides and saw how straight our spines were. Unfortunately, each of us had a slight dip in alignment, so the Nectar received a mediocre alignment score.
Edge support is one of those factors in a mattress you don’t notice you need until it’s gone, particularly if you sit on the corner of the bed to get ready or sleep close to the sides during the night. Edge support is also important for older adults and people with mobility restrictions, as it helps you get in and out of bed safely and securely.
To test out the Nectar’s edge support, we sat on the side of the mattress while putting on a pair of shoes to see how supportive the mattress felt. Then, we lay on the edge of the bed in each sleeping position to see whether we could comfortably sleep there without feeling like we might fall off. The bed was remarkably supportive, so we gave it a 9 out of 10.
We tested how the Nectar keeps motion transfer at bay in two ways. For the first test, we placed a glass of wine on one side of the bed and had a mattress tester lie down on the other. As you can see in the video above, our tester moved back and forth on their side of the Nectar, and the wine exhibited only minimal sloshing.
Then we replaced our glass of wine with another person. Each of us took turns with a sleep mask on as the other moved around their side of the mattress. The result? Minimal disturbances from movement, resulting in a score of 8.5 out of 10.
We concluded that Nectar does very well with movement isolation, which is fantastic if you share your bed with a partner or have children or pets that make nighttime visits. If they move around or get up in the middle of the night, you’ll feel minimal disturbance on your side of the bed.
Looking for mattresses with strong motion isolation scores? Check out our top picks for the best mattresses for couples.
Learn everything you’ll need to know about the Nectar mattress to find out if it’s right for your sleeping preferences and budget.
How Firm is the Nectar Mattress?
The Nectar mattress falls around a 6 out of 10 on the firmness scale, which is considered medium-firm. This firmness is ideal for most sleeping positions since it’s not too firm and not too soft.
Does Nectar Support My Sleeping Position?
The middle-of-the-road firmness of the Nectar mattress, coupled with its responsive surface and pressure-relieving properties, makes it a great option for side sleepers, back sleepers, and combination sleepers.
Back sleepers need a supportive mattress that provides enough pressure relief to avoid lower back pain. As a medium-firm bed with a high score in pressure relief, the Nectar is a good choice for back sleepers. We found the Nectar to provide good lumbar support and a comforting hug-like sensation.
With an 8.5 out of 10 in pressure relief, the Nectar is a good choice for side sleepers. Pressure relief is essential for side sleepers to protect shoulders and hips, and we felt only minimal pressure on these joints when lying on our sides. However, heavier side sleepers may find they need a mattress with a thicker comfort layer if they sink too far into the Nectar.
If you swap between back and side sleeping throughout the night, you need the support and pressure relief required by both positions. To support this flip-flopping back and forth, you also need a bed with great responsiveness.
We felt the Nectar provided this responsiveness much better than most traditional memory foam mattresses. The Nectar scored an 8.5 out of 10 in responsiveness, which is uncommonly high for a memory foam mattress. So if you love memory foam but also toss and turn, the Nectar mattress is a solid choice for you.
Stomach sleepers generally require more firmness and support than people who prefer other sleep positions. Without proper support, your hips will fall forward and your back will arch–a recipe for lower back pain. We didn’t find the Nectar supportive enough to recommend it for all stomach sleepers, though very lightweight stomach sleepers may find it suitable.
Will You Sleep Hot?
While the Nectar mattress is designed with breathable foam layers, it doesn’t have the same level of airflow as innerspring or latex mattresses. It is better than traditional memory foam but can still trap body heat to some degree.
Thankfully, because of the Nectar’s responsive and supportive layers, you won’t sink as deeply into the mattress as you would a traditional memory foam mattress. This helps with temperature regulation because most of the heat you feel in memory foam is due to sinking in and having your body heat trapped around you.
If you tend to run hot at night, opt for cooling sheets and a light, breathable comforter if you choose the Nectar mattress. However, if cooling is your main priority in selecting a mattress, memory foam may not be the right choice for you.
Do you tend to sleep hot? Check out our top picks for the best mattresses for hot sleepers.
How Much Weight Does It Support?
Nectar says its mattresses can support up to 650 lbs, which equals 325 lbs on each side for a queen size. However, while the original Nectar mattress technically supports sleepers up to this weight, that doesn’t mean all heavier sleepers will find the mattress comfortable. In particular, heavier side and stomach sleepers may require a thicker comfort layer for proper pressure relief and support.
Best Compatible Bed Frames
The Nectar mattress is compatible with the majority of mattress foundations including solid and slatted platforms, adjustable bases, box springs, and bunkie boards. Just make sure your foundation is in good, sturdy condition.
The Nectar mattress can also be used on the floor, but you do risk contamination and added exposure to dust or bacteria. Putting your mattress directly on the floor can also make it harder to get in and out of bed.
Nectar Mattress Construction
The Nectar mattress is constructed with multiple layers of premium foam that offer pressure-relieving support and appropriate weight distribution, plus a cooling cover. All foam layers in the Nectar are CertiPUR-US certified, meaning they meet rigorous standards for emissions and durability.
- Breathable Cooling Cover: Includes polyethylene fibers designed to absorb and wick away body heat
- Pressure Relieving Gel-Infused Memory Foam: 2″ of gel memory foam designed for body-contouring, pressure relief, and better cooling than traditional memory foam
- Dynamic Response Layer: 3″ of conventional foam to promote responsive support and better spine alignment
- Stability Base Layer: 7″ of durable conventional foam designed to support upper layers and overall structure
- Shift-Resistant Lower Cover: Polyester cover designed to help layers stay in place
|Twin||38″ x 75″ x 12″||39 lbs||$599|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 12″||42 lbs||$849|
|Full||54” x 75” x 12″||54 lbs||$899|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 12″||66 lbs||$1,049|
|King||76” x 80” x 12″||83 lbs||$1,349|
|Cal King||72” x 84” x 12″||82 lbs||$1,349|
|Split King||76″ x 80″ x 12″||84 lbs||$1,698|
*Prices do not reflect exclusive offers or discounts. Click below to see the best price for the Nectar mattress.
Is It Easy to Set Up?
The Nectar arrives at your door in a tall, rectangular box. It can be heavy, so we suggest enlisting a partner to help you carry it up any stairs. It comes with a tool to help you unwrap it, and it took us about 5 minutes to completely unbox and set up the Nectar mattress. We noticed that Nectar had a noticeable off-gassing odor, so we recommend letting the mattress air out for a few days before putting sheets on.
To see the full unboxing process, check out our video review of the Nectar mattress.
Check out all the purchasing details you’ll need to know when you decide to buy a Nectar mattress.
|Delivery||Ships free and arrives to your door within 2-4 business days|
|Trial Period||365 nights|
|Warranty||Lifetime warranty for as long as you own the mattress|
|Return Policy||Free returns|
|Financing||Available through Affirm|
Learn more about Nectar’s parent company Resident and their policies.
Mattress Delivery Process
Shipping the Nectar mattress is free to the continental U.S. For locations such as Alaska and Hawaii, there are additional costs. You should get your new mattress in about 2-4 business days.
Nectar does offer white glove delivery and removal of your old mattress for an additional fee: $149 for white glove delivery and $45 per additional item set up. This may increase the time it takes to receive your mattress.
Year-Long Sleep Trial
Nectar offers one of the most generous sleep trial periods in the bed-in-a-box mattress game (three times longer than the industry standard). The 365-night trial period starts 30 days after Nectar has been delivered to your door (roughly the length of the break-in period).
At any point during this sleep trial, you can return or exchange your Nectar mattress for free.
A Nectar warranty is a forever warranty; it’s good for as long as you own the Nectar mattress. Simply put, if your mattress breaks from normal use or it forms impressions 1.5” or deeper, they will replace it at no cost to you.
The Nectar mattress warranty does not cover:
- Changes in foam comfort resulting from regular use
- Damages to the mattress, including burns, cuts stains, or odors from spilled liquids
- Damages from using an improper foundation
- Off-gassing after you unbox the mattress (we recommend ventilating the room)
- Secondhand Nectar mattresses or mattresses purchased from an unauthorized retailer
- Injuries resulting from Nectar mattress use, such as back pain
To file a warranty claim, email firstname.lastname@example.org, and let them know you’d like to begin the claims process.
How to Get in Touch with Customer Service
Nectar’s customer service is fairly easy to get in touch with. Have a quick question? Chat with a human online. For something more in-depth, you can call them at (888) 863-2827 or email email@example.com.
Here’s what some customers had to say about the service they received with Nectar:
- “After many months of use, the mattress has been just what I needed to eliminate pain in my back and knees while sleeping. It keeps me level regardless of position but conforms to my body at the same time thus eliminating pressure points. Quality is exceptional, in my opinion. Very happy with the purchase and customer support. Highly recommend.” -Michael
- “I ordered the Split King Adjustable Bundle yesterday around noon. This set includes 2- XL adjustable frames, 2- XL mattresses (w/pillows), 2- XL mattress covers, and 2- XL sheet sets. Believe it or not, in just 24 hours I received everything except for the sheet sets! I was told it would be about 7-10 days. Now that’s incredible customer service!” -JoAnn N.
If you find that you aren’t satisfied with your Nectar mattress, they’ve made the return process easy. Here’s a step-by-step breakdown.
- Contact Nectar between days 31 and 365 from the date you received your mattress. You can email them at firstname.lastname@example.org or call them at 1-888-425-4854.
- A Nectar representative will request information and documentation; complete these requests in 30 days, otherwise you’ll have to begin the returns process over again.
- Nectar will work with you to find a date and time that a local charity can pick up your mattress. If a local charity isn’t available, they’ll coordinate with a recycling center. Just make sure your mattress is by the door at the scheduled pickup time.
- Once the mattress has been picked up, Nectar will provide you with a full refund. This typically happens within 3 business days. If you financed your mattress through Affirm, speak with your Nectar representative and they’ll help you close your loan.
Where Can You Buy Nectar Mattresses?
In addition to the Nectar website, Nectar mattresses are also sold at more than 4,000 mattress stores and retailers nationwide. You can check for a location near you using Nectar’s store locator map.
Is Nectar the Mattress for You?
The Nectar Memory Foam is a strong choice if you’re on a budget but still want a quality, memory-foam sleep experience. It works for most sleep positions—and even those who toss and turn at night. Its motion isolation makes it a good pick for couples, plus it has good edge support. And do we even have to mention the year-long trial period and lifetime warranty?
Of course, the Nectar mattress is not the perfect fit for every sleeper. There are a few reasons Nectar may not be for you, including:
- If you sleep excessively hot
- If you prefer the traditional feel of springs
- If you’re a bit heavier
For plus-size sleepers who still want an all-foam sleep experience, one alternative is the Plank Firm by Brooklyn Bedding. The flippable Plank has a Firm side (7/10) and an Extra-Firm side (9/10). Brooklyn Bedding also makes the Titan Plus foam/innerspring hybrid, designed specifically for heavier people.
If you just like the Nectar brand, one of the hybrid mattresses featured below might offer a better match for plus-size sleepers.
Which Nectar Mattress is Best for Me?
Take a look at how different Nectar mattress models performed in the Mattress Advisor in-house testing facility. This comparison focuses on performance categories, since each model’s warranty, sleep trial, return policy, etc., are the same.
Note: We are still waiting to test the Nectar Premier and Nectar Premier Copper but should have scores very soon.
|Performance Category||Nectar||Nectar Lush||Nectar Classic Hybrid||Nectar Premier Hybrid||Nectar Premier||Nectar Premier Copper|
|Total Mattress Advisor Score||8.7/10||8.9/10||9/10||8.9/10||Pending||Pending|
Nectar Mattress Comparisons
Nectar vs. Purple
|Mattress Advisor Score||8.7/10||8.4/10|
|Firmness||Medium-Firm (6/10)||Medium-Firm (6.5/10)|
|Material||Gel Memory Foam||Hybrid|
|Who’s It Best For?||
The Purple and Nectar both offer medium-firm feels and plenty of pressure relief. This makes both beds great options for side sleepers. But those who prefer a traditional body-contouring feel will prefer the Nectar. Its memory foam build offers a hug-like sensation ideal for these folks. Sleepers who like to feel lifted up “on top” of their beds will prefer the springy Purple mattress.
The Purple is also much more cooling than the Nectar, which makes it a better pick for hot sleepers. On the other hand, budget shoppers will prefer the Nectar, which is cheaper than the Purple and offers a longer sleep trial and warranty. But if you’re looking for pressure relief, you can’t go wrong with either bed!
Check out our full Nectar vs. Purple mattress comparison.
Nectar vs. Casper
|Mattress Advisor Score||8.7/10||8.7/10|
|Firmness||Medium-Firm: (6/10)||Medium-Firm: (6/10)|
|Material||Gel Memory Foam||Memory Foam|
|Who’s It Best For?||
The Casper and Nectar are both medium-firm memory foam mattresses, but they suit different sleepers. The pressure-relieving Nectar features deep sinkage and body-contouring, making it the ideal pick for side sleepers and those with shoulder or joint pain. The Casper is more springy and responsive (despite its memory foam build) so it’s a better choice for combination sleepers.
The Casper also features zoned support, which means it is a little firmer at the back and hips. This makes it a good mattress for those who struggle with back pain. But, the Nectar isolates motion better than the Casper, which makes it the best option for sleepers who share their bed with a partner or pet. The Nectar is also just a little more cooling than the Casper, giving it an edge with hot sleepers.
Check out our full Casper vs. Nectar mattress comparison.
Is Nectar good for side sleepers?
Most side sleepers should be satisfied with the Nectar, thanks mostly to its pressure-relieving qualities. The mattress scores 8.5/10 for pressure relief in Mattress Advisor testing, which translates to good support for your shoulders and hips.
Can I finance my Nectar mattress?
Great sleep is in reach no matter your financial situation! If you prefer to pay for your Nectar mattress over a period of time, you can opt for 6 months of low, interest-free payments through Affirm. Simply select this option at checkout. No credit check is required and you can apply by using a bank account, credit or debit card and proving a source of income.
Will I need to flip my Nectar mattress?
Nectar is designed to be used on one side only, meaning you shouldn’t flip the mattress.
Does Nectar have a referral program?
If you refer a friend to Nectar, your friends will receive $125 off their mattress plus two free pillows, and you will receive a $50 Amazon gift card after they complete their purchase.
Is the Nectar mattress eco-friendly?
All the foams in the Nectar mattresses are CertiPUR-US® certified, meaning they meet some of the most rigorous standards for emissions, content, performance, and durability.
Can I clean my Nectar mattress?
Nectar’s cover can be unzipped completely and spot cleaned with mild detergent. It’s recommended that you use a water resistant mattress cover to protect your Nectar mattress.