Nectar Mattress Review
By clicking on the product links in this article, Mattress Advisor may receive a commission fee at no cost to you, the reader. Read full disclosure statement.
The Bottom Line: We think the Nectar mattress is a great choice for any type of sleeper who is looking for a memory foam mattress on a budget. With its generous full-year trial period and lifetime warranty, you can be confident that you won’t regret your Nectar purchase.
Who Is the Nectar Mattress Best For?
|Nectar is best for:||Nectar may not be best for:|
The Nectar mattress is one of the best budget mattresses you can buy online, as well as one of the best memory foam mattresses. It also has a devoted customer base. In this review, we’ll tell you everything you should know about the Nectar—including sizes, price, customer feedback, and pros and cons—to help you decide if this mattress is right for you.
What We Love About the Nectar:
- It’s one of the best mattresses for side sleepers due to its pressure-relieving properties.
- The Nectar mattress has a happy (and well-rested) customer base—they have overwhelmingly positive reviews and fewer than 3% of customers end up returning their mattress.
- Nectar is so confident that they make the best mattress for the price that they offer a lifetime warranty and sleep trial period that lasts an entire year.
- You can already purchase the Nectar at a reasonable price point, but they often run discounts and special offers to sweeten the deal even more.
Take a look at our Nectar mattress review video and see how it performed in our testing to help you determine if this could be the mattress for you.
Note: At the time of our testing, we spoke with customers who were experiencing a 2-4 week waiting period for their mattress to be delivered. We have since confirmed that Nectar switched their supplier and is now shipping mattresses the same day that orders are placed, leading to a 2-4 day delivery time. Additionally, the price for a queen mattress is now $899.
How did the Nectar perform when our expert reviewers put it to the test? We rate each factor on a scale of 1-10, with 10 being the best. Then we calculate our final score using a weighted average. Learn more about our review and scoring process.
|Mattress Advisor Test||Score (Out of 10)|
⭐Total Score for the Nectar Mattress: 8.7/10⭐
Best and Worst Things About Nectar
- Sleep Trial and Warranty: Nectar certainly beats most rivals by offering a full calendar year to try out their mattress and a warranty that lasts as long as you own the mattress. Typically, we see trial periods around 100 days and warranties that last for 10 years.
- Pressure Relief: Nectar scored an 8.5/10 for pressure relief, meaning it will appropriately cushion pressure points like hips and shoulders that are more prone to aches and pains. This makes it a great option for side sleepers.
- Responsiveness: While the Nectar is a memory foam bed, it still scored high in responsiveness. You can think of responsiveness as freedom of movement, so if you toss and turn throughout the night, the Nectar will adjust to your sleeping positions accordingly.
- Edge Support: For a foam mattress, Nectar also scored high in edge support. If you’re an edge-of-the-bed sleeper, this will help prevent you from rolling off.
- Off-Gassing: Be aware that your Nectar mattress may have a mild scent when you unbox it. This is normal and should go away within a few hours. Ventilating the room will help expedite this process.
- Spine Alignment: Nectar’s worst-performing category in Mattress Advisor testing was spine alignment (7.5/10). It’s not necessarily a disqualifying score, but be aware that optimal spine alignment can reduce the chances of neck and back pain, tossing and turning, and other sleep problems.
- Hot: Because of its all-foam construction, some customers claim that the Nectar mattress can sleep hot. The Nectar is constructed with a cooling cover and breathable foam layers, but it won’t allow for as much air circulation as an innerspring or hybrid mattress will.
- Long Delivery Times: While most Nectar products ship within 2-4 business days, Nectar does source some materials from overseas and this can lead to delayed delivery.
If you have back pain, spine alignment is one of the main things you should look for in a bed. A straight spine keeps kinks out of your back and improves posture. So to test how good spinal alignment is for all you side sleepers, we each lay on our sides and saw how straight spines were. Unfortunately, there was a slight dip for each of us, so the Nectar received a mediocre alignment score.
Edge support is one of those factors in a mattress you don’t notice you need until it’s gone, particularly if you sit on the edge of the bed to get ready or wind up sleeping there during the night.
To test out Nectar’s edge support, we sat on the edge of the mattress and put on a pair of shoes to see how supportive the mattress felt. Then, we lay on the edge of the bed in each position to see if we could comfortably sleep there without feeling like we would fall off, and it was wonderfully supportive.
We tested to see how Nectar keeps motion transfer at bay two different ways. For the first test, we placed a glass of wine on one side of the bed and had a tester lie down on the other. As you can see in the video above, our tester moved back and forth on their side of Nectar and the wine exhibited minimal sloshing.
Then, instead of wine, we tried out people. Each of us took turns with a sleep mask on as the other moved around their side of the mattress. The result? Minimal feelings of movement resulting in an 8.5 out of 10 score.
Our conclusion is that Nectar does a good job of isolation movement, which is great if you share the bed with someone. If they move around or get up in the middle of the night, you’ll feel minimal disturbance on your side of the bed.
Learn everything you’ll need to know about the Nectar mattress to find out if it’s right for your sleeping preferences and budget.
How Firm is the Nectar Mattress?
The Nectar mattress falls around a 6 out of 10 on the firmness scale, which is considered medium-firm. This firmness is ideal for most sleeping positions since it’s not too firm and not too soft.
Does Nectar Support My Sleeping Position?
The medium firmness of the Nectar mattress coupled with its responsive surface and pressure-relieving properties make it a great option for all sleeping positions: side sleepers, stomach sleepers, back sleepers, and even combination sleepers, or those who change positions throughout the night.
Will You Sleep Hot?
While the Nectar mattress is designed with breathable foam layers, it does not have the same level of airflow as innerspring or latex mattresses. It is better than traditional memory foam but can still trap body heat throughout the night. Because of its responsive and supportive layers, you won’t sink as deeply into the mattress as you would a pure memory foam mattress, which helps with temperature regulation. If you tend to run hot at night, opt for cooling sheets and a light, breathable comforter on your Nectar mattress.
Related: Best Mattresses for Hot Sleepers
How Much Weight Does It Support?
Nectar says its mattresses can support up to 650 lbs, which equals 325 lbs on each side for a queen size. The original Nectar should be fine for many heavier sleepers, although some of them might prefer a thicker, firmer mattress.
Best Compatible Bed Frames
The Nectar mattress is compatible with most mattress foundations including solid and slatted platforms, adjustable bases, box springs, and bunkie boards. Just make sure your foundation is in good, sturdy condition.
The Nectar mattress can also be used on the floor, but you do risk contamination and added exposure to dust or bacteria. Putting your mattress directly on the floor can also make it harder to get in and out of bed.
Nectar Mattress Construction
The Nectar mattress is constructed with multiple layers of premium foam that offer pressure-relieving support and appropriate weight distribution, plus a cooling cover. All foam layers in the Nectar are CertiPUR-US certified, meaning they meet rigorous standards for emissions and durability.
- Poly-Blend Quilted Cover: A plush top layer that’s soft and cushioning so you can fall asleep feeling you are on clouds.
- Gel-Infused Memory Foam (2″): This gel-infused memory foam delivers equal weight distribution and pressure relief.
- Dynamic Response Split Layer (4″): A premium foam split layer offers breathability and a bounce when you sleep.
- Base Layer (6″): The Nectar’s base layer serves as a stable foundation and provides additional support for the entire structure.
- Bottom Cover: This bottom cover prevents slippage on your frame or foundation to ensure the mattress stays in place.
|Twin||38″ x 75″ x 12″||40 lbs||$499|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 12″||42 lbs||$669|
|Full||54” x 75” x 12″||55 lbs||$799|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 12″||66 lbs||$899|
|King||76” x 80” x 12″||84 lbs||$1,199|
|Cal King||72” x 84” x 12″||83 lbs||$1,199|
|Split King||76″ x 80″ x 12″||84 lbs||$1,238|
*Prices do not reflect exclusive offers or discounts. Click below to see the best price for the Nectar mattress.
Is It Easy to Set Up?
Nectar arrives at your door in a tall rectangular box. It can be a bit heavy, so we suggest a team lift when taking it up the stairs. Though it comes with a tool to help you unwrap it, it took us about 5 minutes to completely unbox Nectar and free it from the plastic. Nectar also had an off-gassing odor, so we recommend letting the mattress air out for a few days before putting sheets on.
To see the full unboxing process, check out our video review of the Nectar mattress.
Check out all the purchasing details you’ll need to know when you decide to buy a Nectar mattress.
|Delivery||Ships free and arrives to your door within 2-4 business days|
|Trial Period||365 nights|
|Warranty||Lifetime warranty for as long as you own the mattress|
|Return Policy||Free returns|
|Financing||Available through Affirm|
Learn more about Nectar’s parent company Resident and their policies.
Mattress Delivery Process
Shipping the Nectar mattress is free to the continental U.S. For locations such as Alaska and Hawaii, there are additional costs. You should get your new mattress in about 2-4 business days.
Nectar does offer white glove delivery and removal of your old mattress for an additional fee: $149 for white glove delivery and $45 per additional item set up. This also may tack on the time it takes to receive your mattress.
Year-Long Sleep Trial
Nectar offers the most generous sleep trial period we’ve seen in the bed-in-a-box mattress game (three times longer than the industry standard!). The 365-night trial period starts 30 days after Nectar has been delivered to your door (roughly the length of the break-in period).
At any point during this sleep trial, you can return or exchange your Nectar mattress for free.
A Nectar warranty is a forever warranty; it’s good for as long as you own the Nectar mattress. Simply put, if your mattress breaks from normal use or it forms impressions 1.5” or deeper, they will replace it at no cost to you.
The Nectar mattress warranty does not cover:
- Changes in foam comfort resulting from regular use.
- Damages to the mattress, including burns, cuts stains, or odors from spilled liquids.
- Damages from using an improper foundation.
- Off-gassing after you unbox the mattress (we recommend ventilating the room).
- Secondhand Nectar mattresses or mattresses purchased from an unauthorized retailer.
- Injuries resulting from Nectar mattress use, such as back pain.
To file a warranty claim, email firstname.lastname@example.org, and let them know you’d like to begin the claims process.
How to Get in Touch with Customer Service
Nectar’s customer service is fairly easy to get in touch with. Have a quick question? Chat with a human online. For something more in-depth, you can call them at (888) 863-2827 or email email@example.com.
Here’s what some customers had to say about the service they received with Nectar:
- “After many months of use, the mattress has been just what I needed to eliminate pain in my back and knees while sleeping. It keeps me level regardless of position but conforms to my body at the same time thus eliminating pressure points. Quality is exceptional, in my opinion. Very happy with the purchase and customer support. Highly recommend.” -Michael
- “I ordered the Split King Adjustable Bundle yesterday around noon. This set includes 2- XL adjustable frames, 2- XL mattresses (w/pillows), 2- XL mattress covers, and 2- XL sheet sets. Believe it or not, in just 24 hours I received everything except for the sheet sets! I was told it would be about 7-10 days. Now that’s incredible customer service!” -JoAnn N.
If you find that you aren’t satisfied with your Nectar mattress, they’ve made the return process easy. Here’s a step-by-step breakdown.
- Contact Nectar between days 31 and 365 from the date you received your mattress. You can email them at firstname.lastname@example.org or call them at 1-888-425-4854.
- A Nectar representative will request information and documentation; complete these requests in 30 days, otherwise you’ll have to begin the returns process over again.
- Nectar will work with you to find a date and time that a local charity can pick up your mattress. If a local charity isn’t available, they’ll coordinate with a recycling center. Just make sure your mattress is by the door at the scheduled pickup time.
- Once the mattress has been picked up, Nectar will provide you with a full refund. This typically happens within 3 business days. If you financed your mattress through Affirm, speak with your Nectar representative and they’ll help you close your loan.
Is Nectar the Mattress for You?
Nectar is a strong choice if you’re on a budget but still want a quality, memory-foam sleep experience. It works for all sleep positions—even those who toss and turn at night. Its motion isolation makes it a good pick for couples, plus it has good edge support. And do we even have to mention the year-long trial period and lifetime warranty?
There are a few reasons Nectar may not be for you, including:
- If you sleep excessively hot
- If you prefer the traditional feel of springs
- If you’re a bit heavier
For plus-size sleepers, we recommend the Titan mattress by Brooklyn Bedding. This bed is built for heavier people, has springs and cooling features, and starts at just over $1,000 for a queen.
Is Nectar good for side sleepers?
Most side sleepers should be satisfied with the Nectar, thanks mostly to its pressure-relieving qualities. The mattress scores 8.5/10 for pressure relief in Mattress Advisor testing, which translates to good support for your shoulders and hips.
Can I finance my Nectar mattress?
Great sleep is in reach no matter your financial situation! If you prefer to pay for your Nectar mattress over a period of time, you can opt for 6 months of low, interest-free payments through Affirm. Simply select this option at checkout. No credit check is required and you can apply by using a bank account, credit or debit card and proving a source of income.
Will I need to flip my Nectar mattress?
Nectar is designed to be used on one side only, meaning you shouldn’t flip the mattress.
Does Nectar have a referral program?
If you refer a friend to Nectar, your friends will receive $125 off their mattress plus two free pillows, and you will receive a $50 Amazon gift card after they complete their purchase.
Is the Nectar mattress eco-friendly?
All the foams in the Nectar mattresses are CertiPUR-US® certified, meaning they meet some of the most rigorous standards for emissions, content, performance, and durability.
Can I clean my Nectar mattress?
Nectar’s cover can be unzipped completely and spot cleaned with mild detergent. It’s recommended that you use a water resistant mattress cover to protect your Nectar mattress.
By clicking on the product links in this article, Mattress Advisor may receive a commission fee at no cost to you, the reader. Read full disclosure statement.