Purple Hybrid Premier Mattress Review
By clicking on the product links in this article, Mattress Advisor may receive a commission fee at no cost to you, the reader. Read full disclosure statement.
Final Impression: The Purple Hybrid Premier is an excellent mattress for back and side sleepers of every body size. Its unique feel cushions pressure points and keeps the spine perfectly aligned, easing aches and pains. With exceptional breathability, it’s great for hot sleepers.
Who Is the Purple Hybrid Premier Mattress Best for?
|Purple Hybrid Premier is best for:||Purple Hybrid Premier may not be best for:|
The Purple Hybrid Premier mattress is the softest of the Purple mattress line. Like the other Purple mattresses, what sets the Premier apart from its competitors is a comfort layer made from a proprietary gel grid called the GelFlex Grid™. The Purple Grid™ creates a floating feeling that combines pressure relief with unparalleled spinal support.
In this review, we’re going to share how the Premier performed during our in-house testing, its pros and cons, and everything else you need to know before deciding if the Premier is the mattress of your dreams.
**Note: This mattress, formerly known as the “New Purple Mattress” is now called the Purple Hybrid Premier. It’s available with a 3″ or 4″ GelFlex Grid™ (the Purple 3 and Purple 4) – this review is for the 4″ Purple Grid™ version.**
What Sets it Apart:
- The unique GelFlex Grid™ top layer delivers the cushioning of memory foam with superior support and cooling properties.
- The Purple Hybrid Premier earned a nearly perfect score in our test for spinal alignment. A healthy spine at night means fewer aches and pains during the day.
- With supportive innerspring coils and a generous 4” of the Purple GelFlex Grid™, the Purple Hybrid Premier is one of the best Purple mattresses for heavier sleepers.
The Purple Hybrid Premier Video Review
Check out the Mattress Advisor video below to learn how the Purple Hybrid Premier mattress performed in our mattress tests. This can help you determine if this could be the right choice for you.
See how the Purple mattress scored in our various tests and evaluations to learn what areas it’s best in. We rate each test on a scale of 1 to 10 and calculate a combined, weighted total to reach our final score.
You can learn more about our proprietary review process here.
|Mattress Advisor Test||Score (Out of 10)|
⭐Total Score for the New Purple Mattress: 8.5/10⭐
The Best and the Worst
- Healthy Spine Alignment: The Premier earned a nearly perfect 9.5/10 for spine alignment, ideal for people who struggle with back or neck pain.
- Solid Edges: We found the edges of the Premier to be both comfortable and sturdy. If you sleep along the edges or use them to get in and out of bed, you’ll enjoy the Premier.
- Cooling: Thanks to the Premier’s construction, there’s very little foam to absorb heat and plenty of space for cooling airflow. As such, it’s a good bed for hot sleepers.
- CushionsPressure Points: The GelFlex Grid™ buckles under pressure points, dissipating pressure from these areas. Side sleepers won’t have to worry about pain in their hips or shoulders.
- Amenities: The Purple Hybrid Premier comes with free White Glove Delivery and a risk-free 100-night sleep trial.
- Break-in: Any mattress takes some time to break in, but because of the Purple’s unique mattress materials, you may need more time than you’d expect for your body to adjust.
- Motion Isolation: The Premier Hybrid doesn’t do a great job at isolating motion, so couples who sleep together may feel one another move around at night.
- Stomach Sleepers: While the thick GelFlex Grid™ layer supports healthy body alignment for side and back sleepers, it doesn’t support the hips in the way that stomach sleepers need.
We all know that good posture is important, but did you know that your posture at night matters just as much as it does during the day? Poor spine alignment at night is one reason why so many people wake up with aches and pains that they didn’t have the night prior.
We tested how well the Purple Hybrid Premier supported neutral spine alignment for our sleep testers. When lying on your side, a healthy spine is one that is straight from the base of the spine to the neck. As you can see, our sleep tester had a straight spine on the Premier. These results tell us that the Purple Hybrid Premier mattress may relieve back pain, especially for side and back sleepers.
One of the top complaints that we hear about mattresses is that many of them sleep hot. This is particularly true for soft mattresses because you sink in and body heat becomes trapped along the mattress surface.
The Purple Hybrid Premier is one of the coolest mattresses that we’ve tested. Because Purple uses a cooling grid comfort layer for cushion rather than foam, the Premier doesn’t allow body heat to build up along the mattress surface. And with a thick layer of breathable innerspring coils, any body heat is quickly swept away.
Do you sleep with a partner, child, or pet? If so, you’ve probably been woken up countless times when your bed partner moves around at night. What you may not know is that some mattresses absorb motion so that it doesn’t travel across the mattress, while others don’t do as good of a job as isolating movement.
We tested the motion isolation abilities of the Purple Hybrid Premier in the Mattress Advisor lab using two tests. In the first, we filled a wine glass with red wine, set it on one side of the bed, and had one of our sleep testers roll and back forth to see how much the wine moved. On the Premier, the jiggle was pretty severe. We then replaced the wine with another sleep tester and had them rate how well the bed dampened movement on a scale from 1-10.
The Premier earned a 7.5/10 for motion isolation—not the score you’d want to see if you’re a light sleeper who shares the bed. For a mattress that’s better at minimizing motion transfer, take a look at our top picks for the best mattresses for couples.
The Purple Hybrid Premier is a soft mattress, falling at a 4 on the 1-10 firmness scale. While it doesn’t offer the type of plush softness as an all-foam bed, Purple’s floating cushion offers similar pressure relief.
How Does It Work for Each Sleep Position?
Your sleep position is one of the most important factors to consider when shopping for a new mattress. Let’s see how the Purple Hybrid Premier performs for different sleeping positions.
The Purple Hybrid Premier is an outstanding mattress for side sleepers of all body shapes. The comfort layer readily collapses at pressure points like the hips and shoulders, offering a soft enough surface for lightweight side sleepers. And with a generous 4” comfort layer and innerspring support, even plus-size side sleepers will find the cushion and support that they need.
While most back sleepers prefer a medium-firm mattress, the soft Premier has the combination of cushion and support needed for optimal body alignment when lying on one’s back. Our sleep testers were impressed by how the Premier kept the spine’s natural curve, promoting deep sleep and pain relief. The Premier is a top bed for back sleepers.
We do not recommend the Purple Hybrid Premier for stomach-only sleepers. The Purple Grid™ collapses at heavier parts of the body, which causes the hips to sink in. Stomach sleepers need a mattress that keeps the hips from dipping in too low. For better recommendations, check out our best mattress for stomach sleepers page.
The Purple Hybrid Premier is a good mattress for combination sleepers, particularly those who sleep primarily on their back or side. The one downside is that the Premier isn’t as responsive as most hybrid mattresses because it has a thick comfort layer. If you’re someone who tosses and turns a lot, another one of our picks for the best hybrid bed might be a better fit.
The Purple Hybrid Premier does a superb job at regulating temperature. While most soft mattresses tend to sleep warm, the ample breathability of Purple’s comfort and support layers ensure that the mattress doesn’t store excess body heat. Plus, since it has a coil system, the mattress can circulate air more freely.
Can It Support Your Body Type?
The Purple Hybrid Premier is one of the best Purple mattresses for plus-size sleepers, and one of the best mattresses for heavy sleepers, period. Its 7.5” of responsive coils keep the body supported all night long, while the GelFlex Grid™, paired with the responsiveness and ease of movement of the Responsive Coil Core delivers sufficient pressure relief for nearly every sleeper, no matter how much you weigh.
Do You Need a Specific Foundation?
The Purple Hybrid Premier will work on any firm, flat surface. This includes a platform bed, slatted frame, bunkie board, adjustable base, or even the floor. However, Purple recommends not using a box spring to prevent breakdown over time.
A Deep Dive Inside
The Purple Hybrid Premier mattress is a hybrid construction of hyper-elastic polymer, polyfoam, and pocketed coils. Take a look below to see what’s in each layer of the mattress.
- Premium StretchMax Mattress Cover: A soft, stretchy, breathable cover made from a blend of lycra, polyester, and viscose.
- GelFlex Grid™ Layer: A hyper-elastic polymer material engineered to dynamically adjust to your body type and sleep position. The Purple Grid layer is designed to flex under your pressure points while keeping the rest of your body supported.
- Transition Foam Layer: A polyurethane foam enhances motion isolation and protects the body from the innerspring coil system below.
- Pocketed Coil Layer: A layer of individually wrapped responsive-support coils designed to enhance responsiveness, support, and durability.
Purple Hybrid Premier Mattress Sizes, Dimensions, and Pricing
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 13”||105 lbs||$3,199|
|Full||54” x 76” x 13”||145 lbs||$3,499|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 13”||168 lbs||$3,799|
|King||76” x 80” x 13”||204 lbs||$4,399|
|Cal King||72” x 84” x 13”||202 lbs||$4,399|
|Split King||76” x 80” x 13”||210 lbs||$6,398|
*Prices do not reflect exclusive offers or discounts. Click below to see the best price for the Purple Hybrid Premier mattress, and click here for other Purple Mattress Coupons.
What’s Unboxing Like?
A new Purple Hybrid Premier mattress comes with free White Glove Delivery, so you’re not the one who sets up your new mattress! A representative will come and set up your new bed for you, which makes setup pretty easy.
However, the Purple Premier is very heavy, so it will be hard to move around if you need to after its first setup. The off-gassing smell is also quite strong; it may take several hours for it to dissipate entirely.
First time buying a Purple mattress? Here’s what you can expect.
|Delivery||Ships free; arrives in 1-2 weeks|
|Trial Period||100 nights|
|Warranty||10-year limited warranty|
|Return Policy||Free returns|
|Financing||Available through Affirm|
Shipping and Delivery Knowledge
Purple offers free White Glove Delivery for its Premier Mattress anywhere within the contiguous United States. With White Glove Delivery, a Purple representative will:
- Deliver your mattress
- Set up your mattress
- Remove your old mattress (if desired)
Purple ships to Hawaii and Alaska, but additional shipping fees apply.
Breaking Down the Sleep Trial
Most online mattress companies give customers 100 nights to try out a mattress, risk-free, and Purple is no exception. During Purple’s 100-night sleep trial period, you’re able to return your mattress for a full refund.
The only caveat is that you must keep your mattress for at least 21 days before initiating a return. Why? It takes time for our bodies to adjust to a new mattress, and with an unfamiliar material like the Purple Grid™, it can definitely take time before you know if the bed is a good fit.
The Warranty in Plain Language
Every Purple mattress comes with a 10-year warranty, which is the industry standard. During this time, contact Purple’s customer service team if you have any issues that come from normal use.
All Customer Service Contact Info
If you have a question about the Purple mattress, or if you need help after purchasing the bed, don’t hesitate to contact Purple’s customers care team. Purple representatives are available every day of the week, from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. MT Monday to Friday and from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. To get in touch, you can use:
- Live chat at purple.com
- Phone at 1-888-848-8456 (support) or 1-888-848-0511 (sales)
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Breaking Down the Return Policy
Returning a mattress may seem like a daunting task, but Purple makes returns simple. If you decide that the Purple Hybrid Premier isn’t the right mattress for you, contact Purple’s customer service team during the 100-day trial period to initiate a return. Remember that you cannot return your mattress before having it for 21 days.
Once you’ve contacted Purple, they’ll work with you to ensure that your mattress doesn’t go to waste. They’ll find a local charity to come and pick up the bed. After the mattress has been successfully donated, you’ll receive a full refund so you can find the best mattress for you.
The Purple Hybrid Premier is a soft, supportive mattress. When we tested the Premier bed, we found it to excel at supporting a healthy spine, cushioning pressure points, and sleeping cool. It’s one of few soft mattresses that’s supportive enough for plus-size sleepers, making it one of the best mattresses for side sleepers of every weight.
The Hybrid Premier is best for people who spend most of the night on their side or back. Stomach sleepers need a mattress that provides greater support at the hips, such as the Brooklyn Signature mattress.
While the Premier has sturdy edges that make it great for couples who like to spread out, it doesn’t do as good of a job at reducing motion transfer as some other beds. As a result, if you’re a light sleeper who shares the bed, you may want to consider a top-rated memory foam mattress, like the Loom & Leaf.
How Does the Purple Hybrid Premier Compare?
The Purple Hybrid Premier vs Other Hybrid Mattresses
The Purple Hybrid Premier mattress is quite different from other hybrid mattresses. Most hybrid beds contain layers of foam and innerspring coils. The Premier mattress has both of these materials, but instead of having generous foam layers, it has the proprietary Purple GelFlex Grid™.
The Purple Grid™ provides pressure relief like foam, but everything else about it is unique. Instead of a plush feel, the Purple Grid™ creates a floating, almost weightless sensation. Compared to most foam hybrids, the Purple Premier is better at supporting a healthy spine and is much cooler. As such, it’s an excellent option for sleepers who need pressure relief but also require ample support, as well as hot sleepers.
The Purple Hybrid Premier vs Other Purple Mattresses
Purple manufactures five other mattresses: the Original Purple mattress, the Purple Hybrid, the Kid’s Purple mattress, the Purple Plus, and the Purple Hybrid Premier 3. Here’s how the Hybrid Premier 4 compares to Purple’s other mattresses.
- Purple Hybrid Premier 4 vs Purple: The original Purple mattress has a thinner GelFlex Grid™, and instead of innerspring coils like those found in the Premier, its support layer is crafted from polyurethane foam. The Original is firmer with a less bouncy feel. The Hybrid Premier is softer, a bit cooler, and more responsive. Both are best for back and side sleepers, but the Hybrid Premier 4 is better for people who weigh more than 230 lbs.
- Purple Hybrid Premier 4 vs Purple Hybrid: The Purple Hybrid is identical to the Purple Hybrid Premier 4, except that the GelFlex Grid™ is 2” rather than 4”. The thinner comfort layer results in a firmer mattress, whose medium-firm feel is better for stomach sleepers. Because the Hybrid Premier 4 has a thicker comfort layer, it’s better for heavy sleepers and side sleepers.
- Purple Hybrid Premier 4 vs Kid’s Purple: The Kid’s Purple mattress is softer than the Hybrid Premier 4 mattress to support growing kids. Like the Hybrid Premier 4 mattress, the Kid’s Purple mattress uses the Purple Grid™ feature and sleeps cool. The Kid’s Purple mattress also includes kid-friendly features like a machine washable cover.
- Purple Hybrid Premier 4 vs Purple Hybrid Premier 3: As previously mentioned, the Purple Hybrid Premier 3 has an identical construction as the Purple Hybrid 4, but instead of using 4″ of GelFlex Grid™, it uses 3″. Since it’s slightly thinner, this mattress has a lower price and is a little firmer.
- Purple Hybrid Premier 4 vs Purple Plus: Designed specifically for plus-sized sleepers, the Purple Plus includes an extra comfort layer and all foam construction. It’s a medium-firm mattress, allowing it to support your hips better, and may work better for heavier stomach sleepers.
Does Purple sell any other mattress products with the Purple Grid?
The Purple Grid™ is found in every Purple mattress, the Purple Pillow, and the seat cushion. They don’t currently sell a mattress topper, so your only option, if you want to sleep on the Smart Grid, is to buy one of their mattresses.
How do I clean the Purple bed?
The only part of the mattress that is easily cleaned is the mattress cover. To clean the cover, spot clean with a mild detergent or upholstery cleaner. To safeguard your new mattress and cover from damage, we recommend using a waterproof mattress protector.
How does the Purple Hybrid Premier compare to memory foam mattresses?
The Purple Hybrid Premier’s top layer delivers the same pressure relief as a memory foam mattress, but the feel is completely different. On the Purple you’ll feel weightless, almost like you’re floating. Memory foam offers a hugging sensation where you sink in a bit to the surface. Additionally, the Purple is more temperature-neutral than the average memory foam bed.
By clicking on the product links in this article, Mattress Advisor may receive a commission fee at no cost to you, the reader. Read full disclosure statement.