Novosbed Mattress Review
By clicking on the product links in this article, Mattress Advisor may receive a commission fee at no cost to you, the reader. Read full disclosure statement.
Overview: The Novosbed mattress is a high-quality memory foam mattress with the deep hugging feel. This luxury mattress is often compared to brands like Tempur-Pedic, but with a much lower price. With three different firmness options, this memory foam bed fits the needs of most memory foam mattress shoppers.
Who Is the Novosbed Mattress Best for?
|Novosbed is best for:||Novosbed may not be best for:|
The Novosbed mattress feels like you’d expect a high-end memory foam mattress to feel. Its contouring hug is marshmallow-y soft, melting away pressure. We’re going to take a deep dive into the Novosbed mattress, such as its pros and cons and product specs, to help you decide if this is the all-foam mattress for you.
Our favorite features:
- Novosbed was designed as a more affordable alternative to luxury memory foam mattresses. The deep cradling feel is often compared to more expensive brands like Tempur-Pedic.
- This mattress comes in three firmness levels, soft, medium, and firm.
- Novosbed offers a Perfect Firmness Guarantee. Novosbed will send their Comfort+ layer at no cost to help make the mattress either softer or firmer. This allows customers to find the best feel for their needs.
- It’s a thick memory foam mattress and rates highly in terms of motion isolation, making it a great choice for couples.
Watch our Novosbed mattress review video to see how it performed in our in-house testing to help you decide if this is your dream mattress.
Here’s how the Novosbed mattress scored on different tests and evaluations in our in-house testing facility. Our total score is a weighted average out of 10 that incorporates functional and performance characteristics of the mattress, as well as a social responsibility score. Learn more about our testing process.
|Mattress Advisor Test||Score (Out of 10)|
⭐Total Score for the Novosbed Mattress: 8.4/10⭐
Pros and Cons
- Novosbed is one of the only companies that offers a free firmness adjustment. If you find that your new mattress is slightly softer or firmer than you’d hoped, Novosbed will send you a complimentary Comfort+ kit to add some cushion or support to your new bed.
- The Novosbed trial period and warranty are both longer than average. We love Novosbed’s 120-night sleep trial with free returns and their 15-year warranty.
- Pressure Relief: Most memory foam mattress shoppers want a bed that eliminates excess pressure at areas like the hips, shoulders, and lower back. We found the Novosbed to do a great job at allowing these sensitive areas to sink in, easing pain at pressure points.
- Motion Isolation: Novosbed’s high-density memory foam is exceptional at absorbing movements, stopping them before they spread across the bed’s surface. In our wine test, we barely noticed the wine move as our tester tossed and turned. And when one of our sleep testers moved around on their side of the bed, the other barely noticed. This lack of motion transfer makes the Novosbed an excellent option for couples who share the bed.
- Spine Alignment: One of the most important factors when shopping for a mattress is finding one that keeps the spine in a neutral alignment. We scored the Novosbed 9/10 for spine alignment as we were impressed with the body alignment of our sleep testers. Back and side sleepers with back or neck pain may find the pain slowly melt away when they switch to the Novosbed.
- Responsiveness: Our sleep testers noted that the classic memory foam feel can make it feel like you’re stuck. This is particularly true for heavy people, who might feel like the mattress is sagging rather than supporting their weight. Our testers noted that it was hard to switch from one position to the next—which is a problem for combination sleepers.
- Cooling: The ultra-dense memory foam, while incredible at contouring the body, can also trap heat. While it’s not the hottest memory foam bed that we’ve tested, its heat retention is greater than most innerspring and hybrid mattresses. Hot sleepers might be better served by a cooler mattress.
The Novosbed mattress comes in three firmness options:
- The soft Novosbed mattress rates a 3.5 on the 1–10 firmness scale. Its sumptuously plush sleeping surface delivers cloud-like comfort that soft-mattress lovers will appreciate.
- The medium Novosbed mattress comes in at a 5 on the 1–10 firmness scale. The expert blend of cushy give and contouring support is a great fit for most sleepers.
- The firm Novosbed mattress falls at a 6.5 on the 1–10 firmness scale, which means it feels more medium-firm than firm. You will feel more like you’re sleeping “on” than “in” this mattress model.
Which Sleeping Positions Does It Work Best For?
Although it is not one of our best mattress for side sleepers picks, the Novosbed mattress is a great option for back sleepers. The soft and medium options truly hug the body’s curves, making them excellent choices for side sleepers and back sleepers who like a plush surface. The firm is more of a medium-firm that fits the needs of most back sleepers. Stomach sleepers are not going to find the firm support that they need. Jump over to our best mattress for stomach sleepers page for better options.
Does It Keep You Cool?
When we tested the Novosbed mattress, we found it to sleep relatively cool for a memory foam mattress. However, it’s not among the coolest all-foam mattresses that we’ve tested (read our best cooling mattress guide for those top picks). Therefore, we recommend it for those who don’t tend to wake up hot in the middle of the night.
Is There a Weight Capacity?
The Novosbed mattress doesn’t have any set weight capacities. We’ve found that most 100% foam beds are best for those who weigh 300 pounds or less. When you weigh more, the lack of springy support can leave you feeling like you’re sinking into the mattress.
Novosbed recommends using a solid base or platform with their mattress. Examples include adjustable bases, slatted bases with slats between two and three inches apart, platform beds, and non-flexing box springs. Additionally, foundations designed for memory foam beds should work.
Construction and Feel
The Novosbed is a three-layer memory foam mattress made using high-density memory foam for the ultimate in comfort and durability. To create varying firmness levels (the soft, medium, and firm options), the layers within differ slightly in their composition.
- Ultra-Soft Top Cover: The Novosbed cover is one of our favorite mattress covers. Its tencel fabric is naturally sourced and refreshingly breathable. The fabric fits the mattress well, and with the extra stretch and zipper, you can fully remove it if you end up needing the Comfort+ firmness adjustment kit. It’s a washable cover that’s easy to remove, keeping the mattress feeling fresh and clean for many years to come.
- Comfort Zone: Gel memory foam (in the soft version) or next-generation memory foam is used as the plush top layer of memory foam. The gel in the soft mattress and airflow memory foam in the medium and firm mattresses each help to dissipate excess heat from the mattress surface. This upper foam layer, while plush in each mattress, has a different feel based on the mattress firmness. It ranges from a medium-soft embrace to a firm contouring.
- Transition Core: When our sleep testers laid upon the Novosbed mattress, they noted close body contouring with a balance of plush give and reliable support. The transition foam layer is to thank for the exceptional spine alignment and pressure relief that our testers experienced on the Novosbed. The density of foam increases the firmer the mattress is.
- Support Zone: The support foam layer is the same for each of the three mattresses. This layer of durable polyfoam adds edge support, durability, and stability to the Novosbed mattress.
Novosbed Mattress Sizes, Dimensions, and Pricing
|Twin||38” x 75” x 11”||46-51 lbs.||$999|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 11”||49-58 lbs.||$1,099|
|Full/Double||53” x 75” x 11”||62-69 lbs.||$1,199|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 11”||75-84 lbs.||$1,399|
|King||76” x 80” x 11”||93-104 lbs.||$1,599|
|California King||72” x 84” x 11”||93-104 lbs.||$1,599|
*Prices do not reflect exclusive offers or discounts. Click below to see the best price for the Novosbed mattress.
Setting Up the Mattress
The Novosbed mattress is a bed in a box, meaning the mattress arrives compressed in a tall, thin box. When we received the Novosbed in the mail, the box itself did not have handles, which made it somewhat challenging to move to its final location.
Once we placed it on the bed frame, the unpacking process was a breeze. It did have a mild odor at first, but this dissipated rather quickly. Because it’s an all-foam bed, we were not surprised that it took a couple of days to fully decompress.
Unsure what to expect when you buy a new mattress from Novosbed? Here are the details on things like delivery, trial period, financing, and more to help you along the way.
|Delivery||Free delivery within most of Canada and the United States|
|Trial Period||120-night trial period|
|Return Policy||Free returns|
|Financing||Available through Affirm (USA) or PayBright (Canada)|
Shipping and Delivery
Novosbed offers free delivery within most of the United States and Canada. Every Novosbed mattress is made-to-order. As such, a new mattress typically takes one to five days before it’s shipped, although it may take up to 12 business days when shipping within the United States. Shipping through FedEx Ground takes an additional one to six business days. In total, you can expect to receive your mattress two to 18 business days from your order date.
Novosbed does not offer White Glove Delivery, so you are responsible for setting up your new mattress. Give them a call if you’d like expedited delivery and they will work with you to determine the cost.
Unique Sleep Trial
The Novosbed sleep trial is unique amongst its competitors. Not only is the 120-night trial longer than other bed-in-a-box brands, but they’ve created a system to change the firmness of a mattress to help you find the right feel for you.
If you find that your mattress isn’t fitting your needs after 30 days, contact Novosbed and ask them about the free Comfort+ kit. Novosbed will send a kit that quickly and easily adds either greater plushness or more support, depending upon what’s needed.
For those who cannot find the right feel after 60 days, Novosbed will arrange for a local charity or recycling center to pick up the mattress. Then you’ll receive a full refund. Just be sure to contact Novosbed within 120 days of receiving your new mattress to initiate a return.
The Novosbed mattress comes with a 15-year warranty. The first 10 years are non-prorated, meaning your mattress is covered 100%. The following five years are pro-rated, with your coverage amount decreasing to 75% the original cost of the mattress .
Just as with other mattress warranties, the Novosbed warranty covers defects in materials or workmanship. With this and other mattress warranties, it’s important to realize that you must take care of your mattress for any defects to qualify for coverage.
To protect your mattress and keep it covered under the warranty, use only an approved foundation. Additionally, protect the bed from spills and mold by using a waterproof mattress protector and keeping the bed off of the floor.
Novosbed Customer Service
Novosbed customer service is available Monday to Friday from 10 a.m. – 7 p.m. EST. You can reach them via:
- Phone at 1-844-456-4506 (USA) or 1-877-496-3626 (Canada)
- Live chat at novosbed.com
- Email using their online form
How to Return
To initiate a return you must wait until you’ve owned your bed for 60 days. Between days 60 and 120, you can initiate a return by contacting Novosbed customer service. Once your mattress has been picked up, you’ll receive a refund on your original payment method.
Reasons to Buy/Not Buy the Novosbed
It’s time to decide if the Novosbed is the best mattress for you with a quick recap of this review.
Novosbed is a memory foam mattress great for back and side sleepers, value shoppers, and people with back pain. It comes with a 120-night trial and 15-year warranty. Even though this mattress company is Canadian, they do ship free to most of the US.
This mattress may not be for heavier people or stomach sleepers. Instead, we recommend the Loom & Leaf mattress as a better alternative for these groups.
- Novosbed vs Tempur-Pedic: Novosbed is cheaper than Tempur-Pedic mattresses, but Tempur-Pedic mattresses work for every sleep position while the Novosbed works better for side and back sleepers. See our full Tempur-Pedic mattress reviews.
- Novosbed vs Casper: Casper is another memory foam mattress in a box. It offers better edge support and responsiveness than the Novosbed, but Novosbed is better at motion isolation for couples and co-sleepers. Read our full Casper mattress review.
- Novosbed vs Nectar: Nectar is an affordable memory foam mattress, great for people on a budget. Novosbed outperforms Nectar in the areas of edge support and responsiveness, but Nectar has Novosbed beat when it comes to alignment. Read our full Nectar mattress review.
How does the Comfort+ kit work?
The Comfort+ kit is essentially a mattress topper that you place inside of the mattress cover. When it comes in the mail, you unzip the mattress cover and place the Comfort+ topper on top of your mattress. It will either add a softer feel or firmer feel, depending on what you requested. Once zipped into place, you won’t be able to tell that you added anything. The look remains seamless and classy.
Is the Novosbed mattress cover waterproof?
No, the Novosbed mattress cover is not waterproof. Even though you can unzip it and wash it, we still recommend using a waterproof mattress topper over the mattress to protect it from accidents or spills.
Where are Novosbed mattresses made?
All Novosbed products are manufactured in the United States and Canada. The materials are also sourced from North America.
Is Novosbed foam CertiPUR certified?
Yes, Novosbed only uses foam that’s CertiPUR certified to protect the health of their consumers and that of the world in which we live.
Do I have to be home to sign for my mattress?
Typically, FedEx will leave your mattress at your doorstep if no one is home. However, that is up to their discretion. If they do not deem it safe, they’ll leave a tag with information on how to collect your mattress.
Why does my new mattress have an odor?
Memory foam mattresses have an initial odor that dissipates over a few days. This process is known as off-gassing. It’s caused by small particles escaping into the air. Rest assured that this process is normal and safe, and that it fades quickly.