Propel by Brooklyn Bedding Mattress Review
Propel by Brooklyn Bedding Mattress Review
✔️Last updated: December 2022
|✔️ Customer Rating: 5/5|
|✔️ Mattress Advisor Score: 8.7/10|
|✔️ Type: Hybrid|
|✔️ Firmness: Flippable; Firm and Soft Sides|
|✔️ Free Shipping & Returns|
|✔️ 120-Night Sleep Trial|
|✔️ 10-Year Warranty|
Get 20% Off Mattresses
Overview: The Propel Dual-Sided Hybrid by Brooklyn Bedding has everything but the kitchen sink. With a two-sided design, sleepers can pick between a soft or firm surface. It combines cooling technology, special fabric, and patented foam for a unique sleep experience.
Who Is the Propel Dual-Sided Hybrid Mattress Best For?
|Propel is best for:||Propel may not be best for:|
The Propel Dual-Sided Hybrid mattress is a great mattress for hot sleepers and couples. With a flippable design, it’s like testing out two mattresses in one. Plus, this mattress comes with a 120-day sleep trial and 10-year warranty, so there’s plenty of time to test it out.
What We Love About the Propel Dual-Sided Hybrid Mattress
- Brooklyn Bedding uses Upcycle™ technology, a European performance fabric that transforms body heat into Far Infrared Rays, or invisible rays of energy, for more restorative sleep.
- The Propel Dual-Sided Hybrid’s copper-infused foam helped it earn a perfect score from us in cooling, making it a perfect choice for those who sleep hot.
- Since this mattress uses CopperFlex™, an alternative latex foam, it’s more affordable than some of Brooklyn Bedding’s other mattresses.
Here at Mattress Advisor, we grade mattresses based on how they perform in our lab and their company policies. For more about our review process, click here.
|Mattress Advisor Test||Score (Out of 10)|
⭐Total Score for the Propel Mattress: 8.7/10⭐
Propel Performance Highlights
- Pressure Relief: The Propel mattress earned a near-perfect score in our pressure relief test, making it a great option for side sleepers.
- Cooling: Scoring a 10/10, the Propel Dual-Sided Hybrid mattress is definitely a cool-to-touch mattress, perfect for those that sleep hot.
- Spinal Alignment: Keeping your back straight at night is important so that you don’t wake up with any aches and pains, which is why we love that the Propel knocked this test out of the park, earning a 9/10.
- Shipping: Since production for this mattress can take up to 14 business days, it may take longer to get your mattress than some other online mattress companies.
- Set-up: When setting up the Propel Dual-Sided Hybrid mattress, we noticed that it was difficult to lift onto a sleeping surface since it weighed a lot, but once you have it on your foundation you should be good to go.
To test the motion transfer of the Propel Dual-Sided Hybrid mattress, we dropped a weighted ball from about a foot in the air while placing a glass of water on the bed. When we dropped the ball, the glass did a good job of staying put and the water moved only slightly, leading us to score it an 8/10 for motion transfer.
During our evaluation of the Propel Dual-Sided Hybrid mattress, we sat on the edge of the bed to test its edge support. It did a good job of holding us up while bending slightly to our bodies. When lying on the edge of the bed, we felt an adequate amount of hold and didn’t worry about rolling onto the ground. This makes it a great option for couples who sleep together.
Another area where the Propel Dual-Sided Hybrid really excelled in was spinal alignment, earning a 9/10. Brooklyn Bedding patented a CopperFlex™ foam to encourage a neutral spine position. My back was completely flat when lying on my side.
The Propel Dual-Sided Hybrid is a great mattress for those looking to relieve aches and pains from their busy work days. Our pressure map test showed a near-perfect pressure relief for both our light- and medium-sized testers. We did notice some slight pressure in the shoulder area, so if you are someone with pain in those areas, you may want to find a softer mattress like the Brooklyn Bedding Signature, which scored a 9.5/10 for pressure relief.
Where Does It Fall on the Firmness Scale?
Here at Mattress Advisor, we rate a mattress’s firmness on a scale of 1-10, with 1 being “feels like a cloud” and 10 being “as hard as a rock.” The Propel’s soft side was about a 4/10. We felt cocooned in the mattress’s foam.
For the Propel’s firm side, we rated it a 6.5/10, which is closer to a medium-firm level. This side is the most neutral option and would work well for pretty much any sleeping position. It had less of a sinking feeling but still didn’t feel like we were lying on top of the bed.
Does the Propel Dual-Sided Hybrid Sleep Cool?
One thing we noticed right away when checking out the Propel is that it’s cool to the touch. This is likely due to the Upcycle™ cover, which transforms body heat. Both sides of the mattress also use a CopperFlex® foam, which contains CopperGel™ to help maintain a cooling surface.
What Sleeping Position Does It Work For?
As a two-sided mattress, the Propel Dual-Sided Hybrid works well for a variety of sleeping positions. Light sleepers won’t have any trouble partaking in their preferred posture. However, we do think that average-weight and heavier stomach sleepers may find this mattress a bit too soft, even on the firm side. If this is your preferred sleeping style, you may want to consider one of our best mattresses for stomach sleepers, like the Layla.
How Much Weight Does the Propel Dual-Sided Hybrid Mattress Support?
The Propel Dual-Sided Hybrid mattress’s maximum weight depends on the size you order. Below is how much each size can hold.
- Twin/ Twin XL: 600 lbs.
- Full: 700 lbs.
- Queen: 800 lbs.
- King/California King: 900 lbs.
What Foundations or Bed Frames are Compatible?
The Propel Dual-Sided Hybrid mattress is compatible with any type of support system with minimal to no flex and ample center support. You can use a platform, slat, and box spring foundation with this bed. Having the right foundation can ensure your mattress lasts for a long time and doesn’t begin to sag.
Propel Dual-Sided Hybrid Mattress Materials
As a hybrid mattress, the Propel Dual-Sided Hybrid combines several layers of foam with an intricate coil system. Since this is a dual-sided mattress, it features both a firm and softer foam layer.
- Premium Upcycle™ Top: Brooklyn Bedding uses a pentagon patterned Upcycle™ cover made out of European performance fabric to provide restorative energy.
- Firm CopperFlex™ Comfort Foam (1”): The firm CopperFlex™ comfort foam helps your spine maintain a neutral position while featuring the cooling benefits from copper.
- High-Density Foam (2”): This layer uses high-density foam to create a firmer sleep surface.
- Individually Encased Coils (6”): The Propel Dual-Sided Hybrid mattress coil system consists of 1,032 individually encased Ascension® coils which decrease motion transfer and deliver the ultimate pressure point relief.
- Energex™ Transition Foam (2”): A layer of Energex™ transition foam helps add more pressure point relief.
- Soft CopperFlex™ Comfort Foam (2”): On the soft side, the Propel Dual-Sided Hybrid mattress has a cloud-like CopperFlex™ foam that provides antimicrobial and cooling benefits of copper.
- Premium Upcycle™ Top: Similar to the firm side, the soft side has a European performance fabric cover with encapsulated minerals that transforms your heat into energy.
Propel Dual-Sided Hybrid Mattress Sizes, Dimensions, and Pricing
|Twin||38″ x 74″ x 13″||55 lbs.||$999|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 13”||60 lbs.||$1,249|
|Full||54” x 74” x 13”||70 lbs.||$1,699|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 13”v||80 lbs.||$1,799|
|King||76” x 80” x 13”||100 lbs.||$2,099|
|Cal King||72” x 84” x 13”||110 lbs.||$2,099|
*Prices do not reflect exclusive offers or discounts. Click below to see the best deals for the Propel Dual-Sided Hybrid mattress or check out Brooklyn Bedding mattress coupons.
What’s Unboxing Like?
The Propel mattress comes compressed in a tall rectangular box. Since it weighs between 55-110 lbs., you may want to enlist a friend to help move your delivered box from your front door.
Buying the Propel Dual-Sided Hybrid mattress is quick and easy. Here’s what to anticipate when ordering through Brooklyn Bedding’s special collection website, propelsleep.com.
|Delivery||Delivered in a box|
|Trial Period||120-night trial period|
|Return Policy||Free returns after 30 days|
Shipping and Delivery
Brooklyn Bedding offers free shipping to customers throughout the contiguous United States. Those located in Hawaii, Alaska, or Canada can order a Propel Dual-Sided Hybrid mattress for an additional shipping fee.
- Hawaii or Alaska: Additional $125 per mattress
- Canada: Additional $250 per mattress
All Brooklyn Bedding orders are shipped via UPS or FedEx. Some products may take longer to produce due to the ongoing impacts of COVID-19. Orders can take between 15-25 business days to arrive, with up to 14 business days for production and 3-7 business days for transit. Once your mattress ships out, you will receive an email with your tracking number.
Sleep Trial Period
Like other Brooklyn Bedding mattresses, the Propel Dual-Sided Hybrid comes with a 120-night sleep trial which is standard for the online mattress industry. They ask that you wait at least 30 days from the date of your delivery to come to your decision so that your body can adjust to the new materials. Propel Dual-Sided Hybrid mattress trial periods are good once per customer per calendar year.
Propel Dual-Sided Hybrid Mattress Warranty
Brooklyn Bedding provides a full 10-year warranty, which begins the date you purchase your mattress. If a manufacturer defect occurs within your warranty period, Brooklyn Bedding will either repair or replace your mattress. The warranty covers the following items:
- Impressions greater than 1”
- Defects or deterioration in the foam’s cell structure
- Defects leading to cracking or splitting of the material despite proper usage
- Signs of sagging if your mattress has been continuously supported on a proper foundation
Brooklyn Bedding Customer Service
If you have a question or want to speak to a customer service team member, use one of the following methods:
- Call 1-888-210-8751
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Live chat at propelsleep.com
To return your Propel Dual-Sided Hybrid mattress, contact the Brooklyn Bedding customer service team. They ask that you arrange for your mattress to be donated to a local charity foundation. If you are having trouble coordinating a pickup with an organization, Brooklyn Bedding can offer additional assistance.
After donating your mattress, Brooklyn Bedding will issue you a refund to the card you used for your purchase. Credit card refunds typically take between 3-4 business days to appear in your account and PayPal refunds occur immediately.
Is the Propel Dual-Sided Hybrid Right for You?
The Propel Dual-Sided Hybrid is a great option if you’re someone who often wakes up all sweaty. The copper-infused foam and Upcycle™ top will be a real game-changer that will help keep you cool at night. This mattress is also great for those who have back or neck pains thanks to its excellent pressure relief. As a double-sided mattress, this matches pretty much anyone’s firmness preferences and sleeping positions.
While the Propel is a pretty versatile mattress, we do feel it may not be the best option for heavier stomach sleepers who need a firmer surface. It’s also a hybrid mattress that can take some getting used to for those who normally sleep on a memory foam or traditional mattress. For those that prefer a memory foam bed, Brooklyn Bedding also offers the Propel Dual-Sided in an all-foam model.
More Brooklyn Bedding Mattress Reviews
Does the Propel Dual-Sided Hybrid have a break-in period?
What's the difference between the Propel Dual-Sided Hybrid and Propel Dual-Sided All-Foam?
As the names suggest, the Propel Dual-Sided Hybrid uses both innersprings and foam to provide an ultimate sleep comfort experience while the Propel Dual-Sided All-Foam uses primarily foam. The all-foam models run slightly cheaper than the hybrid models and only come in Twin, Full, Queen, and King sizes.
Are Propel Dual-Sided Hybrid mattresses flippable?
While most Brooklyn Beddings should not be flipped, the Propel Dual-Sided Hybrid mattress is designed with varying firmness levels on each side, making them flippable and easily customizable.