Puffy Mattress Review
Puffy Mattress Review
✔️Last updated: January 2023
|✔️ Customer Rating: 5/5|
|✔️ Mattress Advisor Score: 9.0/10|
|✔️ Type: Memory Foam|
|✔️ Firmness: Medium-Firm|
|✔️ Free No-Contact Shipping & Returns|
|✔️ 101-Night Sleep Trial|
|✔️ Lifetime Warranty|
Get $750 Off Mattresses + $600 in Accessories
Overview: The Puffy mattress is a five-layer memory foam mattress designed to make you feel like you’re sleeping on a cloud (a puffy one, naturally). It’s acclaimed for being a great mattress for side sleepers, those looking to relieve some pain, and couples who want a quiet mattress.
Who Is the Puffy Mattress Best for?
|Puffy is best for:||Puffy may not be best for:|
Puffy’s original mattress is one of the highest-rated mattresses for side sleepers we’ve ever tested in our lab. In this Puffy mattress review, you’ll learn what makes the Puffy so great, the pros and cons, and how it scored in our testing process.
Best Things About Puffy
- Puffy’s Climate Comfort™ foam layer is designed to provide the same comfort throughout different seasons. Its Cooling Cloud™ gel-infused foam also works for temperature regulation.
- The Puffy is made with a stain-resistant cover, making it easy to wash and keep clean.
- Puffy’s company policies earned high scores in customer service and ease of set-up, along with the trial period and return policy.
Want to see how it performed in our testing in the Mattress Lab? Check out the video below to see an overview of our testing day for the Puffy mattress.
Below is a breakdown of our overall score for Puffy, which comes out to a 9.0/10. Learn more about how we use our review process to determine what makes a great mattress.
|Mattress Advisor Test||Score (Out of 10)|
⭐Total Score for the Puffy Mattress: 9.0/10⭐
- Warranty: Puffy provides a lifetime warranty for your mattress, which means your Puffy purchase is protected for the entirety of ownership.
- Edge Support: Thanks to Puffy’s firmness and the support foam layer, this mattress offers great edge support for a memory foam mattress.
- Spine Alignment: Scoring a near-perfect score for spinal alignment, this is a bed that will help you have good posture during the night.
- “New Mattress” Smell: You may notice that the Puffy mattress has a slight off-gassing odor when you unbox it. This is normal with a memory foam mattress. Ventilate the room by opening the windows and turning on a fan; the smell should go away within a few hours.
- Sagging Issues: Some customers found the Puffy mattress sags from the soft and cradling comfort layer. A firmer foam mattress like the Casper Original may not sag under a sleeper’s weight, because it’s built with denser foams.
- Getting in Touch by Email: If you find it difficult to contact a representative from Puffy through email, we recommend calling customer service directly at (800) 430-8380.
Putting Puffy to the Test
In our motion transfer test, we placed a glass of wine on one side of the bed and had one of our testers move around on the other side. As you can see, Puffy has great motion isolation—the wine barely moves inside the glass.
For our edge support test, we sat on the edge of the bed to tie our shoes. Notice how the Puffy slightly dips under the weight of our tester, but still supports her enough so she doesn’t feel as if she’s falling off of the bed. This feature is great for those with mobility issues or people who sleep on the edge of the bed.
The Puffy mattress lands at a 7 out of 10 on the firmness scale. As a slightly firmer than average mattress, it does not have the sinking sand feeling of a Tempur-Pedic but won’t lift the sleeper up like an innerspring mattress with coils.
Does Puffy Match Your Sleeping Position?
The Puffy mattress can work for most sleeping positions, ideally those who need the cradling contour of a pressure relief layer.
- Side Sleepers: As one of the best mattresses for side sleepers, the all-foam Puffy will work well for average weight side sleepers under 230 lbs.
- Stomach Sleepers: It’s not among the best mattresses for stomach sleepers. The cradling of the Puffy is great for pressure relief but not so much for stomach sleepers, who need to be lifted on top of the mattress.
- Back Sleepers: Puffy is a good-but-not-great mattress for back sleepers. Back sleepers will sink into the foam layers enough for pressure relief around their hips and solid spine alignment.
- Combination Sleepers: Puffy’s responsiveness makes it easy for combination sleepers to change positions, with pressure relief in each one. For those sleepers who don’t spend much time on their stomach, we think the Puffy provides a balanced feel.
Memory foam mattresses are known for having excellent motion isolation properties. The Puffy Mattress lives up to this expectation. When weight is applied to the Puffy Mattress at varying levels, it excels at isolation motion.
If you sleep with a partner or with a pet, chances are you won’t disrupt one another if you toss and turn throughout the night.
Edge support refers to a mattress’s ability to support you when you sleep close to its edges.
Few all-foam mattresses score well in the area of edge support, however, the Puffy provides average edge support for sleepers. If you’re looking for a mattress with reinforced edges, the Puffy may not be for you, but it does outperform other foam mattresses.
Does Puffy Sleep Hot or Cool?
While memory foam mattresses have a reputation for sleeping hot, the Puffy mattress is made with a top layer of gel memory foam that promotes airflow and keeps body heat at bay. Although Puffy maintains a cooling temperature, it won’t sleep as cool as some latex, innerspring, or hybrid mattresses.
Is the Puffy Mattress Good for Couples?
Due to its ability to isolate movements, the Puffy Mattress is a great mattress for couples. Additionally, because it is a cooling memory foam mattress, it will prevent you and your partner from overheating during the night.
Body Type Support
The Puffy mattress can hold up to 350 lbs per sleeper on a queen-size, meaning it can hold 700 lbs in total. This is enough to support most types of sleepers. However, we found some heavyweight sleepers do not receive the supportive pressure relief they may need. For especially heavier stomach sleepers, we recommend an innerspring mattress with coils, which will help to elevate the hips and balance the body weight.
Puffy is designed to work with any frame, foundation, or box spring. The sturdier the foundation, the better it will support your mattress.
Puffy Mattress Materials
The Puffy mattress is made of two proprietary memory foam layers and is wrapped in a stain-resistant mattress cover:
- Cooling Cloud™ Gel-Infused Memory Foam: This top layer of cooling gel foam is designed to disperse heat away from your body and promote airflow for a cooler surface than some other memory foam mattresses.
- Climate Comfort™ Memory Foam: This memory foam layer was recently added. Unlike most foams that expand and contract depending on the temperature, this foam doesn’t. When it’s hot, foam tends to expand. When it’s cold, it can contract. This variability in the foam can impact its pressure-relieving abilities; however, the Climate Comfort™ layer by Puffy is resistant to these changes in temperature, providing the same comfort all year long.
- Firm Core Support Base Layer: The polyfoam support layer of the Puffy mattress provides structure and durability to the entire bed.
Puffy Mattress Sizes, Dimensions, and Pricing
|Twin||38” x 75” x 10”||29 lbs.||$1,449|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 10”||30 lbs.||$1,499|
|Full||54” x 75” x 10”||40 lbs.||$1,649|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 10”||48 lbs.||$1,799|
|King||76” x 80” x 10”||61 lbs.||$1,999|
|Cal King||72” x 84” x 10”||61 lbs.||$1,999|
*Prices listed are standard without sales or Mattress Advisor exclusive discounts. Check price using the button below for the best deals and Puffy mattress coupons.
Ease of Set-Up
It took us exactly one minute and 16 seconds to unbox the Puffy mattress. This mattress was very light and easy to maneuver. As soon as we opened the packaging, the Puffy took its full shape immediately. It had a mild scent once opened, but this went away within an hour.
For our set-up test, the Puffy received an awesome score of 9.5 out of 10. See the video below to check out the unboxing process.
|Delivery||Compressed and rolled in a box; delivered in 2-5 business days|
|Trial Period||101 nights|
|Warranty||Lifetime warranty for as long as you own the mattress|
|Return Policy||Free returns|
|Financing||Available through Klarna|
Shipping and Delivery
The Puffy mattress ships free through FedEx and should arrive at your doorstep within 2-5 business days. Puffy does not offer white glove delivery service or mattress removal.
After you receive your Puffy mattress, you have 101 nights to decide if you want to keep it or return it. This is the standard time frame for most bed-in-a-box and online mattresses. Should you wish to return your mattress, you can do so for a full refund within 101 nights.
When you purchase a Puffy mattress, you are set up with a lifetime warranty for as long as you own the mattress.
This warranty covers:
- Indentations deeper than 1.5″
- A broken zipper (not from abuse or excessive use)
- Torn seams or broken stitches resulting from normal use
The Puffy mattress warranty does not cover blemishes (stains, burns, spills), indentation shallower than 1.5″, changes in softness or firmness, allergic reaction to the mattress materials, or structural damage (due to improper bed frames).
How to Contact Puffy’s Customer Service
You can get in touch with Puffy’s customer service team by calling 1-800-430-8380, emailing their support team at email@example.com, or by live chatting with a representative on their website.
Puffy has made the return process simple if you find that you’re unhappy with your Puffy Mattress. To get a full refund, complete the following steps with the 101-night trial:
- Contact Puffy by calling 1-800-430-8380 or emailing their support team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Let them know that you’d like to begin the return process.
- Puffy’s returns department will respond via email. Make sure to have your availability accessible so you can schedule a time for free mattress pickup.
- Be prepared to store your used mattress for 1-2 weeks after requesting a return. It can take that long for the charity or recycling organization to pick it up, depending on when you are both available.
- Puffy will determine which charity or recycling center (such as Salvation Army or Load Up) can receive your used mattress. They will coordinate your mattress pick-up.
- Keep the receipt that you receive when your mattress is picked up. Take a photo of the receipt and email it to email@example.com.
Once Puffy’s support team receives your pickup receipt via email, they will process your full refund within one business day (or 24 business hours). Depending on your bank or credit union, you will see the refund in your account within 2-4 business days.
What Puffy Mattress is Best for You?
Let’s take a look at how each Puffy mattress performed at our in-house testing facility.
|Puffy||Puffy Lux||Puffy Royal||Puffy Lux Hybrid||Puffy Royal Hybrid|
|Motion Transfer Test||9.25||8.25||7.5||7||7.5|
|Edge Support Test||8.75||8.5||7||6.5||7|
|Pressure Relief Test||8||9.5||9||7||8.75|
|Spinal Alignment Test||8.75||9||7||8||6.5|
Puffy vs. Nectar
|Mattress Advisor Score||9/10||8.7/10|
|Firmness||Medium-Firm: 7/10||Medium-Firm: 6.5/10|
|Material||Memory Foam||Gel Memory Foam|
|Who’s It Best For?||
Both the Puffy and Nectar mattresses are constructed of memory foam and have a medium-firm feel, though we think the Puffy is slightly firmer than the Nectar. The Puffy performed better on both our motion transfer and responsiveness tests, making it a better option for couples because it is easier to move around on without your partner feeling your movement. With its softer feel and contouring memory foam, the Nectar performed slightly better in pressure relief.
If you don’t want to spend too much money on a mattress, the Nectar is a cheaper option. Both companies tend to run regular promotions, so be sure to check back around the holidays or look into our money-saving coupons.
Check out our full comparison of the Puffy and Nectar mattresses.
Puffy vs. Purple
|Mattress Advisor Score||9/10||8.4/10|
|Firmness||Medium-Firm: 7/10||Medium-Firm: 6.5/10|
|Material||Memory Foam||Hybrid: Hyper-elastic GelFlex Grid and foam|
|Who’s It Best For?||
The primary difference between the Puffy and the Purple mattresses comes from their constructions. The Purple mattress contains a hybrid construction of a hyper-elastic polymer (called the GelFlex Grid) and high-density foam, while the Puffy is a traditional memory foam mattress. The squishiness of the Purple Grid combined with the support from the high-density foam makes the Purple a long-lasting mattress that provides pressure relief to those with back pain. The Puffy, on the other hand, is made of three layers of foam, and with its top performance in responsiveness and pressure relief, it’s a great match for couples and side sleepers. The Puffy is a bit more prone to sagging over time, so heavier-weight sleepers may prefer to opt for the Purple mattress due to its stronger durability.
Check out our full comparison of the Puffy and Purple mattresses.
Is the Puffy Mattress Right for You?
After extensive testing and research, we’ve found the Puffy to work best for side sleepers, co-sleepers, and seniors who have aches and pains. The sleep trial gives you more than three months to sleep on this bed and make a final decision. If you decide to keep the mattress, you’ve got a lifetime warranty ahead of you.
You might not want to choose the Puffy mattress if you sleep unusually hot. While the Puffy is slighter firmer than average, it features soft foam layers designed for pressure relief. If you really want to sink into your mattress but stay cool, we think you’re better suited for the GhostBed Luxe, a good cooling mattress that falls right in the middle of the firmness scale.
If you like the Puffy brand but aren’t sure if this particular mattress is the right one, you can compare Puffy mattress models.
More Puffy Reviews
Are Puffy Mattresses Made in the USA?
Yes! Puffy is 100% made in the United States, from beginning to end.
Will the Puffy Mattress Have a Break-in Period?
It may take some time for your body to adjust to a new mattress feel. In fact, it can take up to 30 days to fully break in your new mattress. But you’ll have plenty of time for this within your 101-night trial period.
Can I Finance my Puffy Mattress?
You can indeed. Puffy has partnered with Klarna to offer no-interest payments if your mattress is paid off within 12 months and APR options if paid longer than 12 months. You can receive an instant approval decision at checkout.
Is the Puffy Mattress Eco-Friendly?
All the foams in the Puffy mattresses are CertiPUR-US® certified, meaning they meet some of the most rigorous standards for emissions, content, performance, and durability.
Can I Clean My Puffy Mattress?
The cover on the Puffy mattress can actually be unzipped and put in the wash. For the mattress itself, Puffy has several cleaning tips to help you keep your bed virtually good as new.