Puffy Royal Mattress Review
By clicking on the product links in this article, Mattress Advisor may receive a commission fee at no cost to you, the reader. Read full disclosure statement.
Quick overview: We think the Puffy Royal is a memory foam mattress that offers great pressure relief for all sleep positions. Looking for a luxury bed? Its removable cover zips off for easy cleaning, and combined with a lifetime warranty, Puffy ensures that you will be sleeping comfortably for years to come.
Who Is the Puffy Royal Mattress Best for?
|Puffy Royal is best for:||Puffy Royal may not be best for:|
The Puffy Royal is one of Puffy’s top luxury mattresses. This memory foam bed is available online and arrives at your door compressed into a box. With a 5/5 customer rating, Puffy has a reputation of happy customers. In this review, we’ll tell you everything you want to know about the Puffy Royal including how it fared in our lab testing, purchase information, pros and cons, and answers to some FAQs.
The best parts about the Puffy Royal:
- The Puffy Royal mattress is made for all types of sleepers—no matter if you sleep on your back, side, stomach, or a combination of all 3, this memory foam mattress will accommodate you.
- With a new pressure relieving layer exclusive to the Puffy Royal, the foam adjusts to your body shape and relieves stress off of your pressure points.
- Puffy Royal has a mattress cover that can be unzipped and easily washed—great for people with allergies.
Check out how the Puffy Royal scored in our comprehensive lab testing. We rate each factor on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the best. Then, we average each result together on a weighted scale to get the final Mattress Advisor score. Find out more about our testing process here.
|Mattress Advisor Test||Score (Out of 10)|
⭐Total Score for the Puffy Royal Mattress: 8.5/10⭐
Best/Worst Aspects of the Puffy Royal
- While most bed-in–a-box mattress companies offer a 10-year warranty, Puffy gives you a warranty that lasts as long as the mattress does in your possession.
- Pressure relief: The Puffy Royal scored an impressive 9 out of 10 in our pressure relief test, meaning the foam properly cushions your pressure point areas, such as the hips and shoulders. This feature is especially great for side sleepers.
- Responsiveness: Memory foam mattresses are usually difficult to move around in because your body heat allows you to sink into the foam. But with an 8/10 in responsiveness, the Puffy Royal adjusts quickly to your movements, allowing you to easily change positions at night.
- Durability: The Puffy Royal was built with luxury materials, making it durable and able to withstand a lifetime of your sleep habits.
- Your Puffy Royal will have an off-gassing scent as you unbox it. This is normal. Allow your mattress to air out for a few hours, and the smell should go away.
- Being a memory foam mattress, the Puffy Royal can sleep hot. However, it is made with breathable layers and cooling materials, but it won’t sleep as cool as a hybrid or latex bed.
- The Puffy Royal didn’t score wonderfully in our motion transfer test. I mean did you see how much that wine was wobbling? So, it may not be the best choice for couples, people who sleep with their pets, or any other situation when you may need motion isolation.
- See: Puffy Mattress Complaints
We found the Puffy Royal to be between a 4-6/10 on the firmness scale, making it a medium-firm mattress. This is the ideal firmness for most types of sleepers because it isn’t too soft for back and stomach sleepers, but isn’t too firm for side sleepers.
Sleeping Positions and Puffy Royal
Puffy Royal scored well in responsiveness, which is surprising for a memory foam bed. It not only works well for each sleep position, but it easily moves as you move. Responsiveness is key, especially for combination sleepers who tend to toss and turn at night.
Side sleepers will get the most out of Puffy Royal’s pressure relief as their hips and shoulders will cushion in the foam. Back sleepers will enjoy the way the foam contours to the shape of their back, and stomach sleepers get good pressure relief in the hip area.
Does the Puffy Royal Mattress Keep You Cool?
The Puffy Royal mattress is made with a combination of gel memory foam and other breathable foam layers. While the gel provides some surface cooling and the foam lets some air escape, it is not as cool as innerspring or latex mattresses. However, it is better than regular memory foam mattresses that trap body heat with nowhere for it to escape.
If you sleep hot, make sure you use breathable bedding on your Puffy Royal.
Is It Good for Heavy People?
The Puffy Royal mattress can support about 700 lbs. of weight on a queen size mattress, meaning it can take about 350 lbs. per side. That means the Puffy Royal can support most types of sleepers.
The Puffy Royal mattress will work well with most foundations including box springs, slatted frames, platform beds, and adjustable bases, as long as they are in good condition—you can even sleep with it on the floor! If you place your Puffy Royal on a slatted frame, make sure that the slats are no more than 4 inches apart.
The Puffy Royal is made of 5 foam layers:
- Inside Cooling Beads: The plush top layer of the Puffy Royal is foam infused with cooling beads for hot sleepers.
- Premium Foam Layer: This comfort layer is two inches of stress relieving foam made to restore your body.
- Cooling Layer: By creating airflow through the entire bed, the cooling layer regulates body heat.
- SMT Cloud Design: A 5-zone layer that provides back support and comfort for the head, neck, and feet.
- Supportive Core: Seven inches of durable support foam for a more durable mattress.
Puffy Royal Mattress Sizes, Dimensions, and Pricing
|Twin||39” x 75” x 14”||60 lbs.||$1,645|
|Twin XL||39” x 80” x 14”||60 lbs.||$1,745|
|Full||54” x 75” x 14”||85 lbs.||$2,445|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 14”||100 lbs.||$2,695|
|King||76” x 80” x 14”||130 lbs.||$2,995|
|Cal King||72” x 84” x 14”||130 lbs.||$2,995|
*Prices listed are standard without sales or Mattress Advisor exclusive discounts. Check price using the button below for the best deals on the Puffy Royal mattress or check out our Puffy coupons.
What’s Unboxing Like?
Unboxing the Puffy Royal took about two minutes, and it did have an off-gassing odor. We recommend letting your new mattress air out for at least a few hours before you put on sheets and other accessories. Watch the video below to see our unboxing process.
Compressed and rolled in a box; delivered in 2-5 business days
Lifetime warranty for as long as you own the mattress
Available through Klarna
The Shipping Process and Delivery
Shipping and delivery is free for Puffy Royal customers in the continental US. There will be an additional fee for anyone who resides in Hawaii or Alaska. Your mattress should ship in about 2-5 business days. Puffy does not offer a white glove delivery or mattress removal service.
How Does the Sleep Trial Work?
Puffy offers the standard 101-night trial when you order the Puffy Royal. During this time, you have the option to return your mattress completely free. Allow 30 nights to break in your new bed before you initiate a return.
Puffy Mattress Warranty
Puffy offers a lifetime warranty for as long as you own the mattress. It covers any defects such as any sags or indentations deeper than 1.5”, manufacturing errors in the zipper, and manufacturer errors in stitching. It does not cover damages from normal wear.
To file a claim, email customer service your order number, a description of the defect, and a video or photo of the damage. You should get a response in about 7 business days.
Learn About Puffy Customer Service
You can contact Puffy’s customer service one of three ways: live chat on their website, calling 1-800-430-8380, or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Let’s hear from some customers who have had experience with Puffy customer support.
- “Puffy mattress and foundation are perfect for us. Great customer service and great product!” – Terrance A.
- “I had a couple hiccups to which the customer service went above and beyond to rectify.” -Paul N.
- “The service is great and really there is nothing to lose if you weren’t happy, but I am sure lots of people are happy! Just like us!” -R
Puffy Return Policy
If you decide to return your Puffy Royal, email their support team and give them your order number. Puffy will arrange for a local charity or recycling center to come pick up your mattress at no cost to you. After your mattress has been retrieved, you will receive a full refund.
People who bought the Puffy Royal have so many good things to say about it.
On Overall Quality
“Puffy Lux is an amazing bed that my husband really liked and I did too, but knew it wasn’t perfect for me. Then came the Puffy Royal and its PERFECT!!!! I wanted to write a review the minute I laid on it but to be fair I thought a few nights of sleep must happen before I could honestly review. To first touch you can feel the perfect balance between soft yet supportive. Laying on it feels like you are being cradled in zero gravity. Going to bed is easy and getting up in the morning hard. Thank you Puffy. You knocked it out of the park with the Royal. My husband agrees it’s the nicest bed we have had and definitely worth the extra cost. If you can afford the Royal you won’t be sorry as nothing else will compare!” -D. Jones
“I love my puffy royal mattress! I was a bit skeptical on getting a mattress online, but so glad I went ahead and made the purchase. It’s definitely worth it and the most comfortable mattress I’ve ever had. I would always wake up switching positions to get comfortable on my old mattress, but with the puffy mattress I can get comfortable in one position and sleep throughout the night with no issues. I also got the puffy foundation and seems very well built and it fit perfect in my current bed frame. Overall I’m very happy with my puffy purchases!” -Israel T.
On Pain Relief
“Thank you thank you thank you, I have 6 herniated disc 2 torn discs and arthritis in my lower spine. I have not had a full night’s sleep in I can’t remember how long. I got my Puffy Lux last night and for the first time I slept through the night and did not wake up with excruciating nerve pain. The first night made the biggest difference.” -Tiffany Y.
Is the Puffy Royal the Mattress for You?
The Puffy Royal is Puffy’s most luxury memory foam mattress yet, perfect for people with hip or shoulder pain, combination sleepers, and anyone who has allergies. This mattress even has a cover you can unzip and wash—how cool is that?
But, if you sleep with a partner or find yourself on a budget, the Puffy Royal may not be your first choice. Check out the Nectar Mattress instead. This affordable memory foam mattress is great for any budget and couples who toss and turn.
Can I finance my Puffy Royal mattress?
Yes! Puffy has partnered with Klarna to provide you with a variety of financing options. At checkout, when you get to payment, apply for financing. Klarna offers up to 0% APR if the balance is paid in full within 6 or 12 months.
Is the Puffy Royal eco-friendly?
The mattress cover of the Puffy Royal mattress is OEKO-TEK Standard 100 Certified, meaning it is made without harmful substances. All foams are CertiPur-US certified, meaning they have met rigorous standards for safety and emit low VOC levels.
Will the Puffy Royal have a break-in period?
It should take up to 30 nights for you to get used to your new Puffy Royal mattress, especially if you are used to sleeping on a traditional innerspring mattress. That’s why we recommend waiting at least that long before returning your purchase.
How do I clean my Puffy Royal mattress?
The Puffy Royal is made with a stain-resistant, washable cover. Simply remove the cover and toss in the wash for easy cleaning and care.