Hybrid: hyper-elastic polymer and foam
Medium firm-firm: 6.5/10
10-year limited warranty
Proven pressure relief for people with back pain; good for back and side sleepers
- The Purple is a mattress with a big personality, but it does have a lot to boast about: it sleeps cool, is great for spinal alignment and does a good job with reducing any movement you’ll feel from other people (or animals).
- Customers who own the Purple have claimed it’s helped them relieve back and neck pains.
- The Purple is topped with a unique pressure-releasing material that is especially great for back and side sleepers – when you lie on your back, it will help your spine maintain its natural curve and when you lie on your side, it will help keep your spine straight.
Want to see how Purple compares to other mattresses?
Mattress Advisor score for the Purple
Here’s how the Purple mattress scored on different tests and evaluations. Each score is a rating out of 10 points. The total score is a weighted average that incorporates all of the functional and performance characteristics of the mattress. We break down the scores so you can see how the Purple mattress performed on specific tests and evaluations.
8.4 / 10
Purple mattress review
Take a look at our Purple mattress review and see how it performed in our testing to help you determine if this could be the mattress for you.
The Purple mattress just needs a sturdy surface to sit on, whether that’s a platform, slats (3″ apart or less), box foundation, an adjustable bed frame, or even the floor.
What makes Purple different from other mattresses?
To understand the Purple difference, it helps to understand a bit of the history behind the mattress. Purple was designed by two engineer brothers: Tony with 13 years of experience in advanced aerospace materials, and Terry with 20 years of experience in manufacturing, design, and project management.
After years of developing high-tech sporting goods and wheelchairs, they decided to put their brains together and design a mattress specifically engineered to relieve pressure and provide proper spine alignment.
Purple’s patented grid technology has been used and tested by medical professionals and consumers for over 20 years. The grid formation in the hyper-elastic polymer layer creates walls that can support or fold, depending on how much pressure is put on it.
“Our material [Purple’s Hyper-Elastic Polymer® Smart Comfort Grid™] was developed, originally, to help in the cushioning world where pressure relief and support are some of the most important issues. The structure of the material doesn’t have a standard spring constant effect like in foam, memory foam or springs.
“The difference is that when the pressure is applied to our material, it will push back until it gets to what we call the ‘buckle point’. The pressure goes up but at that point, the pressure drops back off. It is a very unique feeling. Hips and shoulders, areas that apply higher pressure but are also areas that are smaller are able to sink into the mattress. Other areas, like the lower back, are more firmly supported than is seen in many other mattress components. It can be a new feeling for many people to have the pressure taken off of those areas that typically take the higher pressure while also getting support in other, normally unsupported parts of the body.
“With that, our material will often weigh in a little heavier than some other products out there. The way that the structure ended up as we tried to get the relief and support also gave us a very open structure that can have great airflow through it. It has fairly large, open cell structure compared to the much smaller cells in foams.”
– Russel Whatcott, Director of Innovation at Purple
You won’t find the materials used to make the Purple mattress in any other mattress on the market.
What to watch out for
- Because the Purple mattress is crafted with a truly unique material, it may take some time to get used to. It won’t compare to other mattresses you’ve slept on, so make sure you give it a good 30 nights before you make your final decision on whether or not to keep it.
Purple sizes available
- Twin XL: $699
- Queen: $999
- King: $1299
- Cal King: $1299
A look inside
The Purple mattress is made with a layer of hyper-elastic polymer (designed to provide great pressure relief) on top of two layers of high-density polyurethane foam (designed for durability, support and motion isolation). Here’s a look at the layers, described from top to bottom:
- Responsive Knit Cover: Soft and stretchy cover that helps maximize the flexing properties of the Smart Comfort Grid™. The breathable design also promotes airflow to help you sleep cool.
- Smart Comfort Grid™: Designed to cushion your shoulders and hips (pressure points), and support your body’s natural shape.
- Plush Comfort Foam: Soft, high-density polyurethane foam designed to enhance the responsiveness and feel of the Smart Comfort Grid™.
- Support Foam: Medium-firm, high-density polyurethane foam provides structural support to the mattress.
What Purple customers have to say
Purple mattress reviews from customers with back pain
- “It’s the best mattress I’ve ever used. I thought it was pricey at first, but it is worth every coin and every dollar! I broke my back around 2 years ago and still have some pretty bad pain where I broke it, but Purple has actually decreased the pain which is amazing! My mother has the mattress and actually was the one who recommended it to me after I got out of the hospital.” – Rachel C.
- “I’ll admit I was leery about buying a mattress off the internet, sight unseen, but I went for it anyway because of the 100 day return policy. Well, they are never getting it back. I know it sounds crazy but after the first night of my first uninterrupted sleep in I don’t know how long, I awoke with NO BACK PAIN! I was seriously going to make an appointment with a chiropractor, but that is no longer necessary. I also want to add that my wife’s arm has always been numb when she wakes up in the morning, but that is no longer an issue either. If you’re on the fence about getting this mattress, GO FOR IT! You won’t be disappointed!!!” – Dan
- “All my back pain problems are gone, I work a physically demanding job and this is what I needed to make my days better.” – Jason L.
- “It took me a few days to get adjusted from my old bed to my new Purple Bed. After that I noticed a hugh difference with the pain in my lower back. I no long have pain in my lower back due to the new purple bed. It is very comfortable and I get great sleep.” – Shirley T.
Purple mattress reviews on cooling properties
- “So far, we love our purple original mattress. We don’t sink to the bottom or sweat all night from retained heat. No issues with chemical smells either.” – Kimberley G.
- “Great bed cool all night during Houston summer.” – Robert L.
Purple mattress reviews on comfort
- “As a previous tempurpedic mattress owner, I can tell you that the Purple mattress is far superior. My husband and I cannot get over how comfortable and cool we are at night. There was zero adjustment time and the support is fantastic. I look forward to trying the Purple pillow next!” – Cynthia
- “I waited 3 months to review the mattress and I could not be happier. The mattress sleeps very cool and comfortable. After the first 30 days of sleeping on the mattress, I went on vacation and spent the next 2 weeks sleeping on a series of different mattress. What a difference when I returned back to my Purple mattress! This experience solidified everything for me. You will need the stand or a box spring to place it on. This also ensures you get the full warranty. Without a doubt, a wonderful investment!” – Gianpaolo F.
Purple mattress reviews on firmness
- “I bought a mattress and it arrived within 7 days. No problems. Day 2 of sleeping on it and I absolutely loooove it. Alittle firm but not too firm. The sheets stay cool and are sooo comfy. Great experience with Purple, highly recommend!” – Alanna
- “This is the first mattress I’ve ever used where the softness wasn’t a drawback. It really has a perfect balance between firmness, softness and support. I actually sleep on my back more often now because it’s so comfortable.” – Joshua I.
Read more reviews here.
If you’d like to hear from a real couple after sleeping on the Purple mattress for one month, check out our In Real Life review below.
How the Purple mattress supports different sleeping positions
The Purple helps keep your spine straight while sleeping on your side and cradles pressure points, but still fills in the other curves of your body so there’s no empty support. Check out the results of Purple’s side sleeper test to learn more.
Purple allows you to maintain the natural curvature of your spine while sleeping on your back, which eliminates any unwanted pressure and fills in the rest of your body space evenly. Check out the results of Purple’s back sleeper test to learn more.
The Purple mattress is ideal for back and side sleepers. Sleeping on your stomach is not the best position to maintain healthy spinal alignment. And sleeping on your stomach on the Purple is no different. Over time, you may experience some discomfort or lower back pain if you’re a stomach sleeper.
The finer print
The Purple ships free within the lower 48 states and typically arrives within 4-7 business days.
The Purple mattress comes compressed and rolled and in a cylinder case. You will simply open the casing, unroll it on your foundation (if you’re using one), and it will be ready to use right away. You can watch this video from Purple to see how it’s done.
If you decide the Purple is not for you within the 100-day trial period, you can return it for a full refund. They will come pick up your mattress and donate it to a local charity at no cost. Purple does ask that you try your mattress for at least 30 days.
The Purple mattress comes with a 10-year limited warranty offer. You can read more about what’s covered under the warranty policy here.
Spot clean with mild detergent (upholstery cleaner). Machine wash/dry is not recommended.
- Made in the USA.
- Allergen-resistant & non-toxic:
- The hyper-elastic polymer is recyclable and made from food- and food-contact-grade ingredients.
- The high-density foam is CertiPUR-US® Certified.
- Purple offers a 15% discount to first responders as well as service men and women. (Applies to veterans and active duty members.) There is not a coupon code for this offer, but you can simply give them a call at 844-642-5613 to have your discount applied.
- If you want to feel the patented hyper-elastic polymer for yourself before ordering the mattress, you can order a free “squishy” after you share and like a few things on social media (we have one and think it could be the new fidget spinner…).
Purple mattress FAQs
Does the Purple mattress sleep hot?
Purple is designed to promote airflow while you sleep, therefore making sure body heat is not getting trapped inside your mattress. It’s top layer grid formation helps it breathe and elevates your body above the foam so air can flow through freely.
How does the 100-night trial work?
From the date that your Purple mattress is delivered, you have 100 calendar days to return it if you decide it’s not right for you. Purple guarantees a full refund upon your return. They’ll send someone to your home to pick up your mattress and donate it to a local charity or recycling center.
*Note that Purple cannot provide any refunds for purchases made through Amazon.
What kind of sheets can I use on my Purple mattress?
Sheets that are thin and stretchy with at least 5% spandex will work best with your Purple mattress. This will help ensure that you’re reaping all the benefits from the Smart Comfort Grid™.
Purple also sells its own stretchy sheets (see below) that complement the mattress well.
Can I finance my Purple mattress?
You sure can! If it’s easier for you to pay for your Purple in monthly installments, you can get as low as 0% APR for 6 months (for qualified customers) when you finance with Affirm. You can make your payments with bank transfer, check or debit card options. Just select “Affirm Monthly Payments” at checkout if you’re interested.
Does the Purple mattress have a break-in period?
Purple will likely feel different from any other mattress you’ve slept on, so it’s recommended that you allow 30 nights for your body to properly adjust to this new sleeping surface.
Will I need to flip my Purple mattress?
You don’t and you shouldn’t! Purple is designed to work best right side up.
How much weight can the Purple mattress support?
Although there isn’t a weight limit for the Purple mattress, it’s safe to say that it can support up to 600 pounds total.
Other products sold by Purple
- Seat cushions: $39 – $129
- Pillow: $99
- Platform base: $174 for queen
- Sheets: $114 for queen
- Mattress protector: $59 for queen
- Adjustable base: $1,499 for queen
- Save $500 when you buy the mattress and adjustable base together
If you have more questions about our Purple mattress review leave us a comment below.
By clicking on the product links in this article, Mattress Advisor may receive a commission fee at no cost to you, the reader. Read full disclosure statement.