Saatva HD Mattress Review
Saatva HD Mattress Review
✔️Last updated: December 2023
|✔️Customer Rating: 4.9/5|
|✔️Mattress Advisor Score: 8.5/10|
|✔️Free White Glove Delivery|
|✔️365-Night Sleep Trial|
Get 15% off orders $1,000+
The Bottom Line: Built to accommodate heavier sleepers, the Saatva HD more than delivers on durability, support, and luxurious comfort. This hybrid mattress provides targeted support and spine alignment and uses eco-friendly materials to ensure you enjoy not just a restful night’s sleep, but a healthy one too.
Who Is the Saatva HD Mattress Best for?
|Saatva HD is best for:||Saatva HD may not be best for:|
The Saatva HD uses a unique blend of foam, latex, and coils to deliver a luxury mattress designed for plus-size sleepers. Made from safe, durable materials, the Saatva HD was built to last and features Saatva’s unique 5-zoned support designed to offer back and joint relief. Equipped with advanced cooling technology and a specially designed foundation that supports the HD mattress, it provides sleepers with comfortable support and a premium sleep experience.
The Best Parts About The Saatva HD
- The Saatva HD can hold up to 1,000 lbs of combined weight, which is more than the industry standard. It uses a high-durability coil base to reinforce and support the mattress, so sleepers ranging from average to heavyweight can enjoy this mattress for many years to come. It even made it onto our roundup of best mattresses for heavy people.
- The Saatva HD makes use of eco-friendly materials and ensures that the mattress is hypoallergenic and good for the planet. The mattress cover is made with certified, organic cotton, and a 100%-natural latex layer. The memory foam is CertiPUR-US certified, making it free of ozone depleters and heavy metals, and also has low VOC emissions for better indoor air quality.
- Saatva covers the cost of replacements and repairs for the first 2 years of your warranty; not to mention, the warranty lasts a lifetime, which is higher than the industry standard.
Check out how the Saatva HD mattress scored on different tests and evaluations. Our score is a weighted average out of 10 that incorporates functional and performance characteristics of the mattress. Learn about our testing process here.
|Mattress Advisor Test||Score (Out of 10)|
⭐Total Score for the Saatva HD: 8.5/10⭐
Saatva HD Pros and Cons
- Free White Glove Delivery & Set-Up: Nothing beats white glove delivery; at no cost to you, Saatva delivers and sends a team to set up your new mattress, and even removes your old one. All you have to do is open the door, and let them take care of the work for you.
- Cooling: With sleep-cool technology and a breathable mattress cover, the Saatva HD helps to keep your body at the optimal temperature all night long.
- Durability: Constructed from a strong coil system and dense foam, the Saatva HD more than delivers on durability. This mattress uses coils 25% stronger than the industry standard and foam rails that prevent sinking and reinforce the edges of the mattress.
- Specially Designed HD Foundation: The Saatva HD also has a foundation specifically made to support the mattress.
- 5-Zoned Support: A latex layer with targeted support for the shoulders, hips, and back helps to relieve joint pain and also makes this bed ideal for back sleepers.
- Motion Transfer: The Saatva HD isn’t great at isolating motion, so this mattress might not be the best match for light-sleeping couples in terms of providing an uninterrupted night’s rest.
- High Price: This hybrid mattress is on the pricier end of most mattresses, but a good investment nonetheless. The Saatva HD uses high-quality, durable materials, so it may or may not be worth the extra cost to some. Plus, it comes with a lifetime warranty.
Related: Best Budget Mattresses
Now we’ll take a closer look at all of the practical details you need to know about the Saatva HD. We’ll cover everything from the layers of the mattress to what foundation will best support this hybrid bed.
Saatva HD Firmness Level
The Saatva HD falls at a medium-firm, or 6/10 on the firmness scale, meaning it’s a nice blend of supportive and soft. Medium-firm is a very popular firmness level, as it can accommodate a variety of sleepers.
If you like the feel of a plush mattress that envelopes you completely, you may prefer the Saatva Solaire, which comes with customizable firmness options. But if you enjoy more sturdy support and a firmer mattress overall, the Saatva HD’s firmness should suit you nicely.
Related: Mattress Firmness Guide
How Does The Saatva HD Support Different Sleeping Positions?
- The Saatva HD is a good mattress for back sleepers, who typically need a notch or two above medium firmness. The bed’s medium-firm feel provides zoned support and spine alignment for back sleepers, helping to relieve back and joint pain.
- Stomach sleepers would also feel well-supported by this hybrid mattress, and the firmness level would prevent their hips from sinking in too deep.
- Side sleepers may need a more plush mattress for deeper contouring and added relief for pressure points. Head over to our best mattress for side sleepers guide for other recommendations.
- The Saatva HD is a good bed for combination sleepers as the bed is better than average for responsiveness.
Cooling And Temperature Regulation
The Saatva HD scored impressively high for cooling, so hot sleepers can look forward to great temperature regulation. The combination of latex and foam work in this bed’s favor as the latex layers are naturally antimicrobial and feature advanced cooling technology. The mattress’s cover is made from breathable, organic cotton, so this bed can keep you cool from top to bottom, all night long. Plus the innerspring system helps encourage airflow for more breathability.
Related: Best Mattresses for Hot Sleepers
Is Saatva HD Good For Heavy People?
The Saatva HD is designed to hold up to 500 lbs for twin and twin XL mattresses and up to 1,000 lbs for full, queen, king, and California king mattresses. Needless to say, this hybrid bed is capable of accommodating many different body types and weights, and is a great choice for heavyweight sleepers.
Suitable Bed Frames
Because the Saatva HD is a durable bed made for plus-sized sleepers, it’s recommended that you purchase the custom HD foundation. The custom HD foundation offers stronger support than a normal foundation or box spring and is specifically crafted for the Saatva HD mattress.
These foundations are available in two heights: 4.75” for those who prefer a lower bed and 8.75” for those who prefer a taller bed height. It’s also recommended that you match the HD mattress with the HD frame for optimal performance.
You still have the option to choose no foundation at checkout, but you should only do so if you already have a solid platform bed. Saatva doesn’t recommend using a slatted foundation or box spring with this mattress.
The Inside Layers
The Saatva HD combines layers of foam, latex, and coils to deliver a supportive, yet comfortable night’s sleep. These elements work together with eco-friendly, high-quality materials to form a durable mattress ideal for heavyweight sleepers.
- Organic Cotton Pillow Top: A top layer of cushioning, wrapped in breathable organic cotton and complete with hand-tufted finishing.
- Talalay Latex with 5-Zone Support: This layer uses latex to add responsiveness that works against body impressions and provides targeted support for your back, shoulders, and hips.
- Contouring Comfort Layers: A combination of memory foam and a support foam layer work together to offer optimal pressure relief for joints.
- High-Durability Coil Base: Strong steel coils in the mattress base prevent motion transfer and add lumbar support.
- Edge Support: High-density foam rails encase the mattress, forming a firm edge that allows you to seamlessly get in and out of bed.
|Twin||38″ x 75″x 15.5″||80 lbs||$1,895|
|Twin XL||38″ x 80″ x 15.5″||85 lbs||$2,095|
|Full||54″ x 75″ x 15.5″||110 lbs||$2,695|
|Queen||60″ x 80″ x 15.5″||135 lbs||$3,295|
|King||76″ x 80″ x 15.5″||169 lbs||$3,945|
|Cal King||72″ x 84″ x 15.5″||169 lbs||$3,945|
|Split King||76″ x 80″ x 15.5″||169 lbs||$4,190|
*Prices do not reflect exclusive Saatva offers or discounts. Click below to see the best price for the Saatva HD mattress.
What’s the Set-Up Process Like?
Saatva is known to go above and beyond when it comes to delivery and set-up. When you purchase a Saatva HD mattress, you also get free white glove delivery and setup. This means that the Saatva team will take care of the entire mattress setup process from start to finish—all you have to do is open the door and designate which room you would like your new mattress in.
There is no off-gassing from the Saatva HD mattress, but there may be a mild scent that dissipates quickly. This odor isn’t hazardous as Saatva uses materials free of harmful chemicals.
Interested in making the Saatva HD mattress yours? Read on for all the purchasing details you need to make an informed decision, such as what the warranty covers and how long the trial period is for.
|Delivery||Free white glove delivery and set-up|
|Trial Period||365 nights|
|Return Policy||$99 fee for returns|
|Financing||Available through Affirm|
Shipping and Delivery
The Saatva HD can take anywhere from 7-21 business days to be delivered, depending on where you’re located. All Saatva mattresses are made to order and delivered by hand. White glove delivery and setup is offered at no cost to you, and Saatva will call you the day before your delivery date to give you a 4-hour time window so you can schedule the best time for your mattress delivery and setup.
Saatva also offers free mattress removal, meaning Saatva’s team will remove your old mattress and foundation during the setup process, so they really make the entire delivery process seamless from start to finish.
Your Saatva HD mattress comes with a 365-night sleep trial. This means you have a whole year to try out the mattress and decide if it’s the right fit for you. The trial starts the day your mattress is delivered, and should you find the Saatva HD doesn’t work out for you, you can return your mattress for a full refund, minus a $99 transportation fee, during this trial. All you have to do is give Saatva a call at 1-877-672-2882, and they will come to pick up your mattress for you.
Keep in mind that it can take about 30 days to break in a new mattress. During this time, your body will get used to the new mattress feel and the mattress will have time to fully take shape and provide all of the benefits it was designed to offer.
The Saatva HD mattress comes with a lifetime warranty. If your HD mattress is deemed defective during the first 2 years of your warranty, it will be replaced with a brand new mattress at no cost to you. After the first 2 years, Saatva will completely repair and re-cover your mattress for labor costs of $99 each way. There will be no other charges besides this fee.
Saatva also offers a “Fairness Replacement Option.” This means should your mattress be deemed defective, you get to keep your original mattress, while Saatva delivers and installs a brand new Saatva mattress for only 40% of the price you paid, in years 3-5 of your warranty. As your warranty ages, the percentage of the original price you paid increases. For more information, check out Saatva’s site where they go into more detail on this replacement option.
Your Saatva HD warranty will remain valid if the mattress is used on a platform bed and is only valid to the original purchaser. Also, if your platform bed has slats, you must use a layer of solid surface, like plywood, to create a uniform surface in order to preserve the life of the mattress. Because of the Saatva HD’s added strength and durable nature, your warranty will be void if you use this mattress on an adjustable base, or if you use your mattress on anything less than a 5- or 6-legged metal bed frame for queen and king-sized beds. The warranty does not apply if the bedding of the mattress has been burned, abused, or damaged.
To submit a claim, you can contact Saatva at email@example.com or reach their 24/7 concierge service number at 877-672-2882.
Saatva is known to offer superior customer service; we gave them a near-perfect score, so needless to say you will be well taken care of at Saatva. To contact customer service, Saatva gives you a few options. You can call them at 877-672-1882, email them at firstname.lastname@example.org, or use the 24/7 chat feature on their site. Check out what some actual customers had to say about Saatva’s excellent service:
- “The comfort and support of the Saatva is truly remarkable. Everyone including the delivery personnel is extremely helpful and courteous. I would recommend this mattress to anyone looking for an extremely good night’s sleep.”- Janice W.
- “The local shipping company was super easy to work with and the mattress arrived within five days of ordering it online. Total props to your company, it appears you’re doing things right. Thank you.”- Brian T.
- “I’ve purchased mattresses two times and each time the Saatva representative was courteous, very knowledgeable and helpful, and quickly found what I was looking for. It was easy to navigate the site and the representative made it easier.” – Hal B.
If the Saatva HD doesn’t work out for you, you can return your mattress within the 365-night trial for a full refund. You do have to pay a $99 transportation fee, but Saatva will also come to remove your mattress for you, which is a nice load off your back. Saatva either donates returned mattresses to veterans’ shelters or offers them to their employees.
To initiate a return, you can contact Saatva’s customer service at 1-877-672-2882 as all returns must be made over the phone. You can expect to receive a refund anywhere between 7 and 14 days after you initiate the return.
- The warranty was good and I took the plunge…Order was processed, I was notified when my order was ready and called to schedule delivery. I am very happy so far and definitely notice the difference from my old mattress. I have already recommended them to a friend. This was an easy process with no pressure at all from them. Believe this was a great purchase.” – Lynn L.
- “Love the mattress we bought! Price was much lower than what we would have paid locally, and the service was good. Quick delivery and set up perfect.” – Janet E.
- “Best mattress we have ever owned. Worth every penny! Our only regret is that we didn’t buy one of these years ago. The customer service is awesome. They kept in touch with us before, during and after delivery.” – Ben T.
Should You Buy The Saatva HD?
Thoughtfully designed for heavyweight sleepers, the Saatva HD is the first luxury mattress crafted for plus-size figures. With its premium materials and high-durability coil base, the Saatva HD eliminates the issue most plus-sized sleepers have with sagging and a lack of mid-support.
The Saatva HD also features advanced cooling technology and a specially formatted HD foundation, covering all the bases for a restful, rejuvenating night’s rest. White glove delivery, eco-friendly materials, and an industry-leading lifetime warranty complete this all-around great mattress.
The Saatva HD is medium-firm, and some side sleepers may want something closer to medium. The Brooklyn Aurora Luxe is an exceptional alternative for heavyweight side sleepers. It comes in three different firmness options, but side sleepers would get the most contouring and pressure relief out of the plush and medium-firm options. The Brooklyn Aurora is also highly durable and can support up to 900 lbs, which is 100 lbs less than the HD.
Other Saatva Mattress Reviews
- Loom & Leaf Review
- Saatva Classic Review
- Saatva Latex Hybrid Review
- Saatva Modern Foam
- Saatva Solaire Review
- Saatva Youth Review
- Zenhaven Review
Saatva Bedding Reviews
How long will my Saatva HD mattress last?
The Saatva HD is designed to last 20 years with normal use and proper foundations.
Will I need to flip my Saatva HD bed?
You cannot flip the Saatva HD mattress. We recommend that you rotate it after 6 months, and then once a year after that, but it’s not necessary to do so.
Is the Saatva HD mattress organic?
While Saatva isn’t 100% organic, it’s still pretty green. The Saatva HD uses Certi-PUR certified foams that consist of petroleum. It also has a 100%-organic cotton cover.
You May Also Like...
Emma Hybrid Comfort Mattress Review
Firmness: Firm, 8/10
Trial Period: 365 days
Warranty: 10-year limited warranty
Summary: Sleeps cool; firm enough for plus-size sleepers
Big Fig Mattress Review
Trial Period: 120 days
Warranty: 20-year limited warranty
Summary: Hybrid mattress designed to provide quality support for individuals with a bigger figure
Titan Plus Mattress Review
Firmness: Firm: 7/10
Trial Period: 120 days
Warranty: 10-year limited warranty
Summary: Hybrid mattress built for plus-size sleepers
WinkBeds Plus Mattress Review
Trial Period: 120 nights
Warranty: Lifetime Warranty
Summary: Luxury mattress designed for heavier sleepers