Saatva Classic Mattress Review
Saatva Classic Mattress Review
✔️Last updated: November 2022
|✔️Customer Rating: 4.8/5|
|✔️Mattress Advisor Score: 9/10|
|✔️Firmness: Three Firmness Levels|
|✔️365-Night Sleep Trial|
Save $200 – $500
Quick Summary: If you’re in the market for a luxury hybrid mattress, the Saatva Classic is one of the best. This mattress comes with free white glove delivery and different firmness options and is made from eco-friendly materials. A durable, American-made mattress that resists sagging, the Saatva should last you for years to come.
Who Is the Saatva Mattress Best for?
|Saatva Classic is best for:||Saatva Classic may not be best for:|
The Saatva Classic mattress is one of the best hybrid mattresses overall, as well as one of the best mattresses for seniors and best mattresses for side sleepers. In this review, we’ll answer your questions about the Saatva Classic and provide you with pros and cons, customer reviews, and product details, including sizes and prices.
Keep reading our Saatva Classic mattress review and make an informed decision either way.
What Makes Saatva Classic Stand Out
- If you’d like your Saatva mattress unboxed and set up on your bed frame, you can select white glove delivery service. It’s free with the purchase of your mattress and also includes the removal of your old mattress.
- The Saatva Classic’s three firmness options make it compatible with all sleeping positions.
- Five premium material layers make up the Saatva Classic mattress, providing you with excellent spine alignment, great durability, and exceptional back and joint support.
- The Saatva Classic comes with a 3″ Euro pillow top with Lumbar Zone® Quilting for the ultimate comfort experience.
We brought the Saatva Classic into our Mattress Lab and ran it through our proprietary testing methods to evaluate its strengths and weaknesses. Check out this video and take a look at how it performed.
Note: This video was produced during our initial testing for the Saatva Classic mattress. Our score has since been updated to reflect improvements in customer service and delivery.
Take a look at the breakdown of the scores from various tests we use to evaluate the Saatva Classic mattress. The total is a combined, weighted score on a scale of one to 10. Curious about how we get this score? Read all about our review process.
|Mattress Advisor Test||Score (Out of 10)|
⭐Total Score for the Saatva Classic Mattress: 9/10⭐
Saatva Classic Pros and Cons
- White Glove Delivery: Saatva offers free white glove delivery and set-up, meaning they will hand-deliver your Saatva Classic to the room of your choice and remove your old mattress.
- Durability: Thanks in part to the dual support coil system, which is composed of recycled carbon steel that has been tempered three times, the Saatva Classic is extremely durable.
- American-Made: The Saatva Classic is made in one of Saatva’s 19 factories across the U.S.A.—made to order, in fact.
- Eco-Friendly: Free from harmful chemicals, the Saatva Classic reduces off-gassing effects and uses organic cotton to promote cooler sleep.
- Spine Alignment: The Saatva Classic offers great spine alignment and support, as you can see in the photo below, making the mattress exceptional for people with joint and back pain.
- Edge Support: The Saatva Classic is one of the best mattresses for seniors because of its phenomenal lumbar and edge support, which you can see in the photo below.
- Firmness: As an innerspring mattress, the Saatva Classic might feel firmer than expected.
- Premature Sagging: On rare occasions, sagging has occurred (but Saatva’s lifetime warranty covers it)
- Price: The Saatva Classic is a luxury mattress, so it’s not a great option for shoppers on a budget.
- Motion Transfer: This mattress receives a 7.5 for keeping motion from rippling throughout the sleep surface. It’s not a terrible score, but not an outstanding one either. Couples and restless sleepers could find it problematic.
Does Saatva’s Firmness Work for You?
Saatva offers three firmness levels: Plush Soft, Luxury Firm (the most popular), and Firm. The Plush Soft is a 3/10 on the firmness scale, Luxury Firm a 6/10, and Firm an 8/10.
How Saatva Supports Different Sleeping Positions
Thanks to Saatva’s firmness options, the Saatva Classic mattress can accommodate all sleeping positions.
- Plush Soft is good for many side sleepers, particularly lightweight side sleepers (under 130 lbs).
- Luxury Firm matches up well with average-weight sleepers in all positions, since a medium-firm feel is almost universal.
- Firm makes for a good mattress for back sleepers and a top mattress for stomach sleepers.
What about people who alternate between sleeping positions? Combination sleepers who choose Plush Soft or Luxury Firm will appreciate the Saatva Classic’s responsiveness, which makes it easy to move around on.
Saatva Cooling Factors
The Saatva scores about a 9 out of 10 for cooling, so it offers great breathability. The dual-coil system promotes healthy airflow. It also has an organic cotton cover, which is naturally breathable.
Related: Best Mattresses for Hot Sleepers
How Much Weight Does it Support?
The Saatva Classic can support up to 300 lbs per side, or 600 lbs total. People who weigh more than 300 lbs should consider the Saatva HD, which supports up to 500 lbs per side and is designed specifically for plus-sized sleepers.
A solid box spring or foundation works fine with the Saatva Classic as long as it’s in good condition, purchased within the last seven years, and provides sturdy center support. Platform beds are also compatible with Saatva mattresses. Saatva also sells an adjustable base, foundation, and metal frame that are all compatible with the mattress.
Only the 11.5″ height Saatva Classic is compatible with adjustable bases.
Saatva Classic Mattress Construction
The Saatva Classic is composed of 5 different premium material layers including an innerspring mattress coil on coil construction, memory foam, and a Euro pillow-top.
- Quilted Euro Pillow-Top: The top layer consists of a 3″ Euro pillow top with Lumbar Zone® Quilting, to provide cushioning. It’s designed to offer maximum comfort and coziness.
- Back Support Layer: A combination of Saatva’s Lumbar Zone® Active Spinal Wire and high-density memory foam provides pressure relief and lower-back support.
- Responsive Coils: Saatva uses recycled, pocketed steel coils that react to your body’s movement for better contouring. This makes the mattress stronger in the center third to support your body fully.
- Edge Support Layer: High-density foam rails stabilize the mattress edges, extend the sleep surface, and make it easier to get in and out of bed.
- Base Coil Unit: Dual-coils of tempered steel provide durability and airflow and reduce sagging over time and allow a better airflow while you sleep.
Saatva Classic Mattress Sizes, Dimensions, and Pricing
In addition to coming in three different firmness options, the Saatva Classic comes in two different heights. Customers can choose between a 11.5″ mattress or 14.5″ mattress—except for the split Cal king size, which is available in 11.5″ only. Currently, prices are the same for each height option.
Check out the table below to see the Saatva Classic’s dimensions, weights, and prices.
|Twin||38” x 75”||90 lbs||$935|
|Twin XL||38” x 80”||95 lbs||$1,225|
|Full||54” x 75”||100 lbs||$1,695|
|Queen||60” x 80”||120 lbs||$1,795|
|King||76” x 80”||130 lbs||$2,195|
|Cal King||72” x 84”||130 lbs||$2,195|
|Split King||38” x 80” (x2)||130 lbs||$2,450|
|Split Cal King||72” x 84”||130 lbs||$2,450|
*Prices do not reflect exclusive Saatva offers or discounts. Click below to see the best price for the Saatva Classic mattress.
Setting Up the Mattress
Unlike bed-in-a-box mattress brands, Saatva doesn’t compress or roll their mattresses for delivery. Saatva will set up the mattress for you, thanks to their free white glove delivery service.
And because the Saatva uses no harmful chemicals, there are little to no off-gassing effects from the mattress.
|Delivery||Free white glove delivery and set-up|
|Trial Period||365 days|
|Return Policy||$99 fee for returns|
|Financing||Available through Affirm|
Shipping and Delivery
It can take up to 21 days for your Saatva mattress to be delivered. Because each mattress is made to order, expedited delivery is uncommon. If you’re in need of a mattress pronto, you may want to look at a different option, like the Casper Original Hybrid, which ships in 3-9 business days or can be expedited for same-day delivery in certain cities.
However, Saatva’s free white glove delivery means your mattress and foundation will be set up in the room of your choice. They will also take away your old bed at no additional cost if you select free mattress removal at checkout.
Sleep Trial Period
Saatva offers a 365-day trial period that starts as soon as the mattress is delivered. This gives you a full year to see how the mattress holds up for every season.
Saatva Customer Service
Saatva offers excellent customer service as it scored a 9 out of 10. To contact customer service, you can call support at (877) 672-2882 as well as use the “chat” feature on their website to speak with a representative should you have questions while browsing the site.
Here’s what actual customers had to say about Saatva’s customer service:
- “Bottom line…I sleep like a baby on this mattress and I am so happy I decided to take a “leap of faith” and trust the company and their incredible customer service and return policy. Thanks Saatva!”- Joyce S.
- “On my Saatva, I sleep 7 hours straight!! Wake up feeling fabulous. A totally great product, great people in customer service, if I could give 6 stars I would. “- Paul
- “We first ordered the Classic Luxury firm mattress, but in a couple of days, we realized it was too soft for us. Exchange to a firm mattress was very easy and fast. Delivery and setup both times were very efficient.” – Earl G.
Saatva provides a lifetime “Friends for Life” warranty, which remains in effect if the mattress has been used on a platform bed with either a solid surface, or slats spaced less than 4″ apart and a center support for queen size and larger
Covered defects include manufacturer defects and defects that result from normal use of a predetermined period of time. The Saatva warranty does not cover wear from normal use, sagging from the use of an improper bed frame, burns, stains, or damages that occur for a buyer other than the original purchasers.
For the first 2 years of the warranty, Saatva will replace your mattress with a brand new Saatva free of charge if you deem it defective and submit a claim. Starting in year 3 and continuing as long as you own the mattress, Saatva will completely repair and re-cover your mattress for a $149 processing fee.
Saatva also separately offers a Fairness Replacement Option. If you choose this option, you can keep your original and:
- In years 3-5, Saatva will deliver and install a new mattress for only 40% of the original price.
- In years 6-10, a replacement is 60% of the original price.
- In years 11-15, a replacement is 80% of the original price.
A $99 processing fee will apply for the delivery of your new mattress.
The warranty is valid only for the original purchaser. Always remember to hold onto your original receipt and do not remove the white label on your mattress.
Saatva keeps its return process simple.
Within the 365-day trial period, Saatva will pick up your mattress and provide a full refund should you decide to return it. There is a $99 fee required for returns to cover the cost of transportation. Saatva donates returned mattresses to veterans’ shelters, so you know your mattress is going to a good place.
The steps to return a Saatva mattress include:
- Call Saatva: Initiate your return by calling Saatva’s customer care team at (877) 672-2882. Have your original order number in hand.
- Schedule Pick Up: Within a week, you’ll receive an email to schedule your mattress pickup.
- Day of Pick Up: Make sure you’re home. There is no need to package your mattress for transport. If you can’t be home, contact Saatva to reschedule at no extra charge.
- Receive Your Refund: Once Saatva processes your return, you’ll receive a refund within 7 days. Remember, a $99 transportation fee will be deducted from your refund.
Saatva offers several models for a variety of sleepers. The company also owns the Zenhaven and Loom & Leaf brands.
Which Saatva Mattress is Best for Me?
Want to compare Saatva mattress models side-by-side? Check out the comparison table below to see each Saatva mattress’s scores from our testing.
|Highest Scoring🏆||Saatva Classic||Saatva Latex Hybrid||Saatva HD||Solaire||Loom & Leaf||Zenhaven||Saatva Youth|
Saatva vs. Purple
|Mattress Advisor Score||9/10||8.4/10|
|Firmness||Multiple options||Medium-Firm: 6.5/10|
|Material||Hybrid||Hybrid: Hyper-elastic GelFlex Grid and foam|
|Who’s It Best For?||
While the Saatva and Purple mattresses are both hybrids, they each have very different feels. The Saatva has more of a traditional innerspring feel, which provides additional cooling for hot sleepers, while the Purple is squishy and provides cushioning pressure relief thanks to its hyper-elastic GelFlex Grid. While we expect both mattresses to be long-lasting, the Saatva came out on top in our durability test.
If you’re looking for a luxury sleep experience, the Saatva is the mattress for you. While it has a higher price point than the Purple, it comes with additional features, like a quilted pillow top for comfort and Saatva’s Lumbar Zone® Active Spinal Wire, which helps with back pain relief.
Saatva scored a 7.5 for motion transfer, meaning if you or your partner is a light sleeper, you may wake up to motion rippling across the sleep surface. While the Purple scored the same, it’s more silent when your partner moves around due to its coil-less construction.
Check out our full comparison of the Saatva and Purple mattresses.
Saatva vs. WinkBed
|Mattress Advisor Score||9/10||8.6/10|
|Firmness||Multiple Options||Multiple Options|
|Who’s It Best For?||
Both the Saatva and the WinkBed have an innerspring feel and are marketed as luxury mattresses due to their constructions with high quality materials. Additionally, both of these mattresses come in multiple firmness options, so you can be sure to get the firmness level that works best for you.
The WinkBed scored better in responsiveness, making it a great option for combination sleepers, as it is easy for them to shift positions during sleep. However, with the strong responsiveness of this mattress comes poorer motion isolation. Because of this, we recommend the Saatva for couples to avoid significant motion transfer throughout the night.
If you’re a lightweight sleeper, we recommend opting for the Saatva Plush Soft firmness level because it has plenty of give and is easier for lightweight people to compress and receive the pressure relief they may not get from a firmer mattress. If you’re a heavyweight sleeper, the WinkBed with the Plus upgrade would be a great option as it comes with extra durable support layers that help it hold its loft and firmness over years of use.
At the end of the day, if you are still unsure of which mattress to get, the WinkBed has a free return policy, so if at the end of your trial you are still not certain in your choice, you don’t have to worry about return costs.
Check out our full comparison of the Saatva and WinkBed mattresses.
How long does the Saatva Classic mattress last?
The Saatva Classic mattress is designed to last 10 to 15 years, which puts it on the higher end of a typical mattress lifespan.
Which Saatva mattress is best?
The best Saatva mattress varies depending on your preferences and needs. Check out our brand overview of all the Saatva mattresses to see how they stack up against one another.
Is the Saatva mattress 100% organic?
Technically, no. Saatva’s foams are eco-friendly using at least 30% soy or corn oil. Saatva also uses recycled steel, an organic cotton cover, and a plant-based natural thistle to be more sustainable, though the mattress is not quite 100% green.
How does the Saatva mattress compare to other hybrid mattresses?
The Saatva mattress is one of our top-rated hybrid mattresses. See how it compares to one of its competitors in our Saatva vs Casper comparison.