Saatva Classic Mattress Review
Saatva Classic Mattress Review
✔️Last updated: May 2023
|✔️Customer Rating: 4.8/5|
|✔️Mattress Advisor Score: 9/10|
|✔️Firmness: Three Firmness Options|
|✔️365-Night Sleep Trial|
Get $600 off
Quick Summary: If you’re in the market for a luxury hybrid mattress, the Saatva Classic is one of the best. This mattress comes with free white-glove delivery and different firmness options and is made from durable, high-quality materials that should last for years to come.
Since 2010, Saatva has been producing hand-crafted mattresses made in the United States using premium, eco-friendly materials. In addition to its online presence, the company has eight viewing rooms across the U.S. where you can experience a Saatva mattress in person.
Unlike many of its competitors, Saatva doesn’t make bed-in-a-box mattresses. The company takes the position that the process of compressing, rolling, and boxing mattresses degrades the quality of the foam and coils and reduces durability.
Who Is the Saatva Classic Mattress Best for?
|Saatva Classic is best for:||Saatva Classic may not be best for:|
Saatva Classic Highlights
The Saatva Classic mattress is one of our picks for best mattress for side sleepers, as well as one of the best hybrid mattresses and best mattresses for back pain. It uses premium materials from top to bottom, including a Euro pillow top, memory foam, and two coil layers.
In this review, we’ll answer your questions about the Saatva Classic and provide you with pros and cons, testing scores and product details, including sizes and prices.
What Makes Saatva Classic Stand Out
- All Saatva mattresses come with white glove delivery service. It’s free with the purchase of your mattress and also includes the removal of your old mattress.
- The Saatva Classic’s three firmness options make it compatible with all sleeping positions.
- Five premium material layers make up the Saatva Classic mattress, providing you with excellent spine alignment, great durability, and exceptional back and joint support.
- The Saatva Classic comes with a 3″ Euro pillow top with Lumbar Zone® Quilting for the ultimate comfort experience.
Our Video Review
We brought the Saatva Classic into our Mattress Lab and ran it through our proprietary testing methods to evaluate its strengths and weaknesses. Check out this video and take a look at how it performed.
Note: This video was produced during our initial testing for the Saatva Classic mattress. Our score has since been updated to reflect improvements in customer service and delivery.
Take a look at the breakdown of the scores from various tests we use to evaluate the Saatva Classic and other mattresses. The total is a combined, weighted score on a scale of one to 10. Curious about how we get this score? Find out the details of our review process.
|Mattress Advisor Test||Score (Out of 10)|
⭐Total Score for the Saatva Classic Mattress: 9/10⭐
Pros and Cons
- White Glove Delivery: Saatva offers free white glove delivery and set-up, meaning they will hand-deliver your Saatva Classic to the room of your choice, set it up, and remove your old mattress.
- Pressure Relief: Our testers give the Saatva Classic a 9/10 score for pressure relief, thanks in part to the memory foam in the back support layer.
- Spine Alignment: The Saatva Classic offers great spine alignment and support, as you can see in the photo below, making the mattress exceptional for people with joint and back pain. In fact, the Saatva brand has been endorsed by the Congress of Chiropractic State Associations.
- American-Made: Every Saatva Classic is made to order in one of Saatva’s 19 factories across the U.S.A.
- Eco-Friendly: Free from harmful chemicals, the Saatva Classic reduces off-gassing effects and uses organic cotton to promote cooler sleep.
- Edge Support: The Saatva Classic is one of the best mattresses for seniors because of its phenomenal lumbar and edge support, which you can see in the photo below.
- Firmness: As an innerspring mattress, the Saatva Classic might feel firmer than expected.
- Premature Sagging: On rare occasions, sagging has occurred (but Saatva’s lifetime warranty covers it)
- Price: The Saatva Classic is a luxury mattress, so it’s not a great option for shoppers on a budget.
- Motion Transfer: This mattress receives a 7.5/10 for keeping motion from rippling throughout the sleep surface. It’s not a terrible score, but something couples and restless sleepers should be aware of.
Saatva Classic Mattress Product Details
Does Saatva’s Firmness Work for You?
Saatva offers three firmness levels: Plush Soft, Luxury Firm (the most popular), and Firm. The Plush Soft is a 3/10 on the firmness scale, Luxury Firm a 6/10, and Firm an 8/10.
How Saatva Supports Different Sleeping Positions
Thanks in part to the three firmness options, the Saatva Classic mattress can accommodate all sleeping positions.
Here’s a look at our firmness recommendations for the Saatva Classic based on sleeping position:
|Your Sleeping Position||Best Firmness Options|
|Side Sleeper||Plush Soft or Luxury Firm|
|Back Sleeper||Luxury Firm or Firm|
|Stomach Sleeper||Firm or Luxury Firm|
|Combination Sleeper||Luxury Firm|
Each sleeping position has a unique set of characteristics that determine the ideal mattress firmness, as well as the performance categories where the mattress should excel.
- We found the Saatva Classic to be a great fit for side sleepers, thanks to the nice balance of support and cushion. It did a great job of cradling the shoulder and hips while maintaining a healthy spine alignment. Pressure relief was on point, as we experienced little to no discomfort in most pressure-prone areas. That said, we recommend the Plush Soft model for light sleepers and the Luxury Firm or Firm models for average to heavyweight sleepers for optimal comfort.
- Back sleepers on our team loved how the Saatva Classic felt, especially against their lower backs. This is due to a zoned support technology that provides just the right amount of firmness to keep the spine aligned, coupled with a pillow top that adds a touch of softness for comfort. Because of the mattress’s fantastic overall support, we think it’s a fantastic choice for back sleepers of different body types.
- Stomach sleepers, rejoice! If your priority is getting good support for your hips, the Saatva Classic is a good match. Its coil system did a great job of keeping the hips from dipping too far into the mattress and maintaining a proper spine alignment. The cushioned pillow top also feels soft and comfy, especially for lightweight stomach sleepers. However, we think heavier folks will prefer the Luxury Firm and Firm versions more for additional support.
- For combination sleepers, the Saatva Classic Mattress is also a fantastic choice. Lying on the mattress, we were able to move around with ease and didn’t feel “stuck” on the mattress. We were impressed by its versatility, as it did a great job of adapting to changing positions while providing consistent support, comfort, and pressure relief. As mentioned earlier, lighter sleepers should feel comfier on the Plush Soft version, while average to heavyweight sleepers will likely prefer the Luxury Firm or Firm versions.
The Saatva Classic’s three firmness options, combined with its high testing scores for pressure relief (9/10), spine alignment (10/10), and responsiveness (8.5/10), make it a great choice for any sleeping position.
Is the Saatva Mattress Good for Pain Relief?
The Saatva Classic is a solid choice for those suffering from back pain because of its zoned support system and supportive coil-on-coil construction. These combine to reduce the strain and pressure on the back muscles and spine to maintain a healthy, neutral alignment. For stomach sleepers dealing with back pain, we recommend the Luxury Firm or Firm models for better support.
Although the Saatva Classic’s cushy pillow top is soft and comfy to sleep on, we think it only does an OK job in terms of pain relief for the hips. According to pressure maps we made, the Saatva mattress allowed a bit of pressure buildup around the hips, even for lightweight sleepers. That said, we think it’s still a good option for lightweight side sleepers with hip pain, though heavier back and stomach sleepers will probably prefer a firmer, more supportive mattress.
We felt some pressure buildup around the shoulders, so we think the Saatva Classic is a bit too firm to provide shoulder pain relief, especially for lighter folks. Some average-weight to heavyweight sleepers may find some relief, but overall, we recommend softer and more cushioning mattress options.
Does the Saatva Classic Sleep Cool?
Yes! In fact, it’s one of the coolest mattresses we’ve tested so far, scoring a 9/10 on our coolness scale. Sleeping on the Saatva Classic feels airy and breathable, thanks to the dual-coil system and organic cotton cover that promotes good airflow.
Shopping for a cooling mattress? Review our top picks for the best mattresses for hot sleepers.
How Much Weight Does it Support?
The Saatva Classic can support up to 300 lbs per side, or 600 lbs total. We recommend the Saatva HD for sleepers weighing more than 300 lbs, as it supports up to 500 lbs per side and is designed specifically to be a great mattress for plus-sized sleepers.
A solid box spring or foundation works fine with the Saatva Classic as long as it’s in good condition, purchased within the last seven years, and provides sturdy center support. Platform beds are also compatible with Saatva mattresses. Saatva also sells an adjustable base, foundation, and metal frame that are all compatible with the mattress.
Only the 11.5″ height Saatva Classic is compatible with adjustable bases.
Saatva Classic Mattress Construction
The Saatva Classic is composed of 5 different premium material layers including an innerspring coil-on-coil construction, memory foam, and a Euro pillow-top.
- Quilted Euro Pillow-Top: The top layer consists of a 3″ Euro pillow top with Lumbar Zone® Quilting, to provide cushioning. It’s designed to offer maximum comfort and coziness.
- Back Support Layer: A combination of Saatva’s Lumbar Zone® Active Spinal Wire and high-density memory foam provides pressure relief and lower-back support.
- Responsive Coils: Saatva uses recycled, pocketed steel coils that react to your body’s movement for better contouring. This makes the mattress stronger in the center third to support your body fully.
- Edge Support Layer: High-density foam rails stabilize the mattress edges, extend the sleep surface, and make it easier to get in and out of bed.
- Base Coil Unit: Dual-coils of tempered steel provide durability and airflow and reduce sagging over time and allow a better airflow while you sleep.
Saatva Classic Mattress Sizes, Dimensions, and Pricing
In addition to coming in three different firmness options, the Saatva Classic comes in two different heights. Customers can choose between a 11.5″ mattress or 14.5″ mattress—except for the split Cal king size, which is available in 11.5″ only. Currently, prices are the same for each height option.
Check out the table below to see the Saatva Classic’s dimensions, weights, and prices.
|Twin||38” x 75”||90 lbs||$995|
|Twin XL||38” x 80”||95 lbs||$1,355|
|Full||54” x 75”||100 lbs||$1,895|
|Queen||60” x 80”||120 lbs||$1,995|
|King||76” x 80”||130 lbs||$2,445|
|Cal King||72” x 84”||130 lbs||$2,445|
|Split King||38” x 80” (x2)||130 lbs||$2,710|
|Split Cal King||72” x 84”||130 lbs||$2,450|
*Prices do not reflect exclusive Saatva offers or discounts. Click below to see the best price for the Saatva Classic mattress.
Setting Up the Mattress
Unlike bed-in-a-box mattress brands, Saatva doesn’t compress or roll their mattresses for delivery. Saatva will set up the mattress for you, thanks to their free white glove delivery service.
And because the Saatva Classic uses no harmful chemicals, there are little to no off-gassing effects from the mattress.
|Delivery||Free white glove delivery and set-up|
|Trial Period||365 days|
|Return Policy||$99 fee for returns|
|Financing||Available through Affirm|
Shipping and Delivery
It can take up to 21 days for your Saatva mattress to be delivered. Because each mattress is made to order, expedited delivery is uncommon. If you’re in need of a mattress pronto, you may want to look at a different option, like the Casper Original Hybrid, which typically ships in 3-9 business days or can be expedited for same-day delivery in certain cities.
However, Saatva’s free white glove delivery means your mattress and foundation will be set up in the room of your choice. They will also take away your old bed at no additional cost if you select free mattress removal at checkout.
Sleep Trial Period
Saatva offers a 365-day trial period that starts as soon as the mattress is delivered. This gives you a full year to see how the mattress holds up for every season.
You’ll be happy to know that we gave Saatva a score of 9 out of 10 because of their responsive and friendly customer service. To contact customer service, you can call support at (877) 672-2882 as well as use the “chat” feature on their website to speak with a representative should you have questions while browsing the site.
Here’s what actual customers had to say about Saatva’s customer service:
- “Bottom line…I sleep like a baby on this mattress and I am so happy I decided to take a “leap of faith” and trust the company and their incredible customer service and return policy. Thanks Saatva!”- Joyce S.
- “On my Saatva, I sleep 7 hours straight!! Wake up feeling fabulous. A totally great product, great people in customer service, if I could give 6 stars I would. “- Paul
- “We first ordered the Classic Luxury firm mattress, but in a couple of days, we realized it was too soft for us. Exchange to a firm mattress was very easy and fast. Delivery and setup both times were very efficient.” – Earl G.
Saatva provides a lifetime “Friends for Life” warranty, which remains in effect if the mattress has been used on a platform bed with either a solid surface, or slats spaced less than 4″ apart and a center support for queen size and larger
Covered defects include manufacturer defects and defects that result from normal use of a predetermined period of time. The Saatva warranty does not cover wear from normal use, sagging from the use of an improper bed frame, burns, stains, or damages that occur for a buyer other than the original purchasers.
For the first 2 years of the warranty, Saatva will replace your mattress with a brand-new one free of charge if you deem it defective and submit a claim. Starting in year 3 and continuing as long as you own the mattress, Saatva will completely repair and re-cover your mattress for a $149 processing fee.
Saatva also separately offers a Fairness Replacement Option. If you choose this option, you can keep your original and:
- In years 3-5, Saatva will deliver and install a new mattress for only 40% of the original price.
- In years 6-10, a replacement is 60% of the original price.
- In years 11-15, a replacement is 80% of the original price.
A $99 processing fee will apply for the delivery of your new mattress.
The warranty is valid only for the original purchaser. Always remember to hold onto your original receipt and do not remove the white label on your mattress.
Saatva keeps its return process simple.
Within the 365-day trial period, Saatva will pick up your mattress and provide a full refund should you decide to return it. There is a $99 fee required for returns to cover the cost of transportation. Saatva donates returned mattresses to veterans’ shelters, so you know your mattress is going to a good place.
Here’s how the process works:
- Call Saatva: Initiate your return by calling Saatva’s customer care team at (877) 672-2882. Have your original order number in hand.
- Schedule Pick Up: Within a week, you’ll receive an email to schedule your mattress pickup.
- Day of Pick Up: Make sure you’re home. There is no need to package your mattress for transport. If you can’t be home, contact Saatva to reschedule at no extra charge.
- Receive Your Refund: Once Saatva processes your return, you’ll receive a refund within 7 days. Remember, a $99 transportation fee will be deducted from your refund.
Occasionally, Saatva customers have experienced an uneven mattress surface after years of use. Body impressions greater than 1.5″ are covered by Saatva’s lifetime warranty. Also, you can help prevent body indentations from forming early in your mattress’s lifespan by rotating it head-to-foot every 3-4 months and once a month for the first 3 months.
The Saatva Classic is an innerspring hybrid, and innerspring support systems tend to run on the firmer side. When side sleepers experienced discomfort with the Firm model, Saatva sent multiple customers mattress toppers to add an extra level of cushion. Generally, side sleepers should get the Soft or Luxury Firm option.
Some customers have been unhappy about paying a fee when they wanted to return a Saatva mattress. The company is very transparent about its $99 processing fee for returns and exchanges, which is mentioned several times on the website’s return policy and warranty pages. Also, instead of reselling returned mattresses, the company donates them to veterans’ shelters or offers them to employees.
Other Saatva Mattress Models
Saatva offers several models for a variety of sleepers. The company also owns the Zenhaven and Loom & Leaf brands.
Which Saatva Mattress is Best for Me?
Want to compare Saatva mattress models side-by-side? Check out the comparison table below to see each Saatva mattress’s scores from our testing.
|Highest Scoring🏆||Saatva Classic||Saatva Latex Hybrid||Saatva HD||Solaire||Loom & Leaf||Zenhaven||Saatva Youth|
Saatva Mattress Comparisons
Saatva vs. Purple
|Mattress Advisor Score||9/10||8.4/10|
|Firmness||Multiple options||Medium-Firm: 6.5/10|
|Material||Hybrid||Hybrid: Hyper-elastic GelFlex Grid and foam|
|Who’s It Best For?||
While the Saatva and Purple mattresses are both hybrids, they each have very different feels. The Saatva has more of a traditional innerspring feel, which provides additional cooling for hot sleepers, while the Purple is squishy and provides cushioning pressure relief thanks to its hyper-elastic GelFlex Grid. While we expect both mattresses to be long-lasting, the Saatva came out on top in our durability test.
If you’re looking for a luxury sleep experience, the Saatva is the mattress for you. While it has a higher price point than the Purple, it comes with additional features, like a quilted pillow top for comfort and Saatva’s Lumbar Zone® Active Spinal Wire, which helps with back pain relief.
Saatva scored a 7.5 for motion transfer, meaning if you or your partner is a light sleeper, you may wake up to motion rippling across the sleep surface. While the Purple scored the same, it’s more silent when your partner moves around due to its coil-less construction.
Check out our full Saatva vs Purple mattress comparison.
Saatva vs. WinkBed
|Mattress Advisor Score||9/10||8.6/10|
|Firmness||Multiple Options||Multiple Options|
|Who’s It Best For?||
Both the Saatva and the WinkBed have an innerspring feel and are marketed as luxury mattresses due to their constructions with high quality materials. Additionally, both of these mattresses come in multiple firmness options, so you can be sure to get the firmness level that works best for you.
The WinkBed scored better in responsiveness, making it a great option for combination sleepers, as it is easy for them to shift positions during sleep. However, with the strong responsiveness of this mattress comes poorer motion isolation. Because of this, we recommend the Saatva for couples to avoid significant motion transfer throughout the night.
If you’re a lightweight sleeper, we recommend opting for the Saatva Plush Soft firmness level because it has plenty of give and is easier for lightweight people to compress and receive the pressure relief they may not get from a firmer mattress. If you’re a heavyweight sleeper, the WinkBed with the Plus upgrade would be a great option as it comes with extra durable support layers that help it hold its loft and firmness over years of use.
At the end of the day, if you are still unsure of which mattress to get, the WinkBed has a free return policy, so if at the end of your trial you are still not certain in your choice, you don’t have to worry about return costs.
Check out our full Saatva vs WinkBed mattress comparison.
How long does the Saatva Classic mattress last?
The Saatva Classic mattress is designed to last 10 to 15 years, which puts it on the higher end of a typical mattress lifespan.
Which Saatva mattress is best?
The best Saatva mattress for you depends on your preferences and needs. In terms of overall Mattress Advisor scores, the Saatva Classic leads the brand with a 9.0/10 score, followed closely by the Saatva Latex Hybrid (8.9/10). For more details on how the mattresses stack up, see our Saatva model comparison section on this page.
Is the Saatva mattress 100% organic?
Technically, no. Saatva’s foams are eco-friendly using at least 30% soy or corn oil. Saatva also uses recycled steel, an organic cotton cover, and a plant-based natural thistle to be more sustainable, though the mattress is not quite 100% green.
How does the Saatva mattress compare to other hybrid mattresses?
The Saatva mattress is one of our top-rated hybrid mattresses. See how it compares to one of its competitors in our Saatva vs Casper comparison.