Simmons 8” Memory Foam Mattress Review
Simmons 8” Memory Foam Mattress Review
✔️Last updated: June 2023
|✔️Customer Rating: 4.9/5|
|✔️Mattress Advisor Score: 8.0/10|
|✔️Type: Gel Memory Foam|
|✔️100-Night Sleep Trial|
10% off sitewide.
Summary review: The Simmons 8” Memory Foam mattress is a firm bed with a plush top layer, good for children, guest rooms, back sleepers, and stomach sleepers. Simmons’ affordable price point and simple construction make it a great mattress for people on a budget and lightweight sleepers.
Who Is the Simmons Memory Foam Mattress Best for?
Simmons Memory Foam is best for:
Simmons Memory Foam may not be best for:
Our favorite things:
- This firm mattress is a great choice for stomach and back sleepers who need pressure relief and good alignment.
- The price point of the Simmons foam bed makes it a great option for any wallet-friendly budget.
- Coming in various sizes, such as a twin and full mattress, this Simmons bed is optimal for children.
We unboxed and tested the Simmons foam mattress right here, in our mattress lab. There, we got a chance to evaluate and test this bed in 14 different areas. After weighting these scores based on importance to the consumer, we gave it an overall score out of 10. See how Simmons did, and learn more about our review process.
|Mattress Advisor Test||Score (Out of 10)|
⭐Total Score for the Simmons Memory Foam Mattress: 8.0/10⭐
Is Simmons a Good Mattress?
- Setup: Because this is a mattress only 8 inches thick with memory foam as the material, this bed was very lightweight and very easy to unbox.
- Motion Transfer: People who sleep with another person look at motion transfer to see if their sleep partner movements will wake them up. The Simmons foam mattress does a pretty good job at keeping movement from transferring on the mattress.
- Responsiveness: This is a measure of how easy it is to shift positions on the mattress as well as your comfort level as you do. Simmons memory foam makes getting comfortable in different positions easy.
- Cost: Simmons is a great option for people who need a mattress on a budget. A queen size mattress runs you about $300.
- Durability: Though this bed is very cost effective, we wouldn’t say it will last as long as similar beds on the market. Eight inches is thin for a mattress, especially one you plan on sharing.
- Cooling: Though this bed is made with gel memory foam layers, it is still a memory foam mattress, meaning it tends to sleep warm.
- Spinal Alignment: When it comes to alignment, the hips sink significantly further than the shoulders when we lay on our sides, creating an uneven dip. Light to average weight stomach sleepers should have better luck in the alignment department.
Even though this mattress is thin, it still has excellent motion isolation. We tested this by lying in the bed with a blindfold while a partner gets in and out of the mattress and shifts positions. Then, we switch. We barely noticed movement except when our partner got in the bed.
Then, we used the wine test to visibility see how much motion is being transferred across the mattress. Check out the video below. You can see the wine shake most when I entered the bed. But as I roll around and get out, there is barely any movement. This means you should sleep soundly as your sleep partner tosses and turns.
In comparison, the Simmons mattress edge support test did not go as well. We test edge support by sitting on the edge of the mattress and putting on a pair of shoes, just like you would in the morning. As we sit we see how supported we feel; we felt as if we were slipping off the edge. I was practically sitting on the bed frame I sunk so deep.
The Simmons mattress offers good pressure point relief for most sleep positions. We captured this on our heat map: warm colors, like red and yellow, mean high pressure while cooler colors, like green and blue, mean little pressure.
Back and stomach sleepers see virtually no pressure in the lower back area or the hips and shoulders. This is great for sleepers with back or hip pain.
However, side sleepers see more concentrated pressure in the hips, shoulders, and the chest especially. Over time, this can lead to increased aches and pains for side sleepers with shoulder or hip pain.
Classified as a firm mattress, the Simmons memory foam bed falls at about a 7.5 out of 10 on the firmness scale, making this bed ideal for back and stomach sleepers. These positions prefer a firmer bed because it offers better alignment.
Does It Work for Your Sleeping Position?
Let’s go over how well this bed works for each sleep position:
- Mattress for back sleepers: Back sleepers thrive on firmer beds that offer good pressure relief like the Simmons.
- Mattress for stomach sleepers: Stomach sleepers also tend to enjoy firmer beds. Simmons in particular offer good pressure point relief and alignment for people who sleep on their fronts.
- The Simmons foam mattress offers decent responsiveness, something combination sleepers look for in a mattress.
- Mattress for side sleepers: Side sleepers may want to look for a bed with better pressure relief and alignment.
Is the Simmons Foam Mattress Cooling?
Even though this bed is a gel memory foam mattress, we would not consider it to be a cooling mattress. The top layer is not cool-to-the-touch and the rest of the layers are made of pure foam. This usually traps body heat instead of allowing it to circulate through the mattress.
Other mattress types, such as innerspring and latex, are better at keeping you cool. For those recommendations, head over to our best cooling mattress page.
Can It Support Your Weight?
The Simmons foam mattress has no weight limit. But since it is a thinner mattress with only foam support layers, we do not recommend this mattress to heavier people. Plus-sized sleeper will be better supported on an innerspring mattress or hybrid bed.
Do You Need a Specific Bed Frame?
The Simmons mattress must be laid on some sort of support system. The best foundations for this mattress include box springs, platform beds, slatted platforms, and adjustable bases. If you choose to place your mattress on slats, they should be less than two inches apart.
Taking a Look Inside
The Simmons Memory Foam mattress is constructed using 3 CertiPUR-US Certified layers of foam all tied together with a cotton mattress cover. This certification means your new mattress was made without harmful chemicals and has limited off-gassing effects.
- Premium Gel Memory Foam Layer: The cooling technology starts here with a comfy top layer of cooling gel.
- Motion Separation Layer: This layer of foam ensures both you and your partner get a good night’s sleep by keeping away motion transfer.
- Supportive Base Layer: A high-density layer of base foam supports your mattress and keeps it from sagging.
Simmons Memory Foam Mattress Sizes, Dimensions, and Pricing
|38” x 74.5” x 8”||22 lbs.||
|53” x 74.5” x 8”||32 lbs.||
|60” x 79.5” x 8”||39 lbs.||
|76” x 79.5” x 8”||50 lbs.||
*Prices do not reflect exclusive offers or discounts. Click below to see the best price for the Simmons Memory Foam mattress.
What’s Unboxing Like?
Like most online mattresses, the Simmons mattress came compressed into a box. Because it was so lightweight, it only took us one minute to fully unbox and set up this mattress—impressive! The biggest downside, however, is that it took about two hours to expand, so you’ll have to wait awhile before you put on your sheets.
|Delivery||Free delivery; arrives in 4-9 days|
|Trial Period||100 days|
|Warranty||10-year limited warranty|
|Return Policy||Free returns during trial|
Getting Your Simmons Bed
It takes your new mattress about 1-2 business days to ship and 4-9 to arrive at your home through FedEx. Shipping is free, and you can track your package through a link Simmons will email to you as soon as your bed ships. They do not offer white glove delivery.
The 100-Night Sleep Trial
Simmons gives you the standard 100 nights to sleep on your new mattress to see if you want to keep it. This starts from the day you receive your bed and lasts throughout the three and a half month period.
Be aware that Simmons asks that you sleep on your bed for at least 14 days to break it in before you begin the return process.
Mattress Warranty Overview
You get a 10-year limited warranty with the purchase of your Simmons foam bed. It covers manufacturing defects and faults in the material.
In order for Simmons to honor your warranty, you must use the proper foundation and follow the mattress care guidelines outlined in your warranty.
To talk to a customer service representative, you can live chat on the site, send them a message through the site, call 1-844-Fun-ZZZs, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Check out the customer reviews to hear about real life interactions with Simmons’s service team.
Return Policy Overview
You must start the return process before your 100-night trial is up. To do this, email email@example.com with proof of purchase and your law tag. Customer care will take care of the rest. They will arrange for your bed to be donated, and after that process, you will receive a full refund.
Simmons only offers one return per household per year.
Should You Buy the Mattress?
Now that you have the information you need to make a decision, let’s go over our review to see if this Simmons mattress you’d like to have some sweet dreams in.
We think you’d love the Simmons memory foam mattress if
- You need a bed for your child or guest room.
- You’re on a tight budget.
- You sleep with a lightweight partner.
- You’re a back sleeper or stomach sleeper.
It may be time to explore other options if
- You weigh more than 230 pounds.
- You want the bounce of a bed with springs.
- You’re a side sleeper.
Should you decide that Simmons isn’t the mattress for you, we have some alternative options that we think you’ll enjoy. The Nectar mattress is another budget memory foam bed great for side sleepers. Plus-size sleepers and those who want some bounce should check out the Aurora Mattress by Brooklyn Bedding. If you’re on a budget, for extra cushion, adding a thick mattress topper should help.
Is Simmons Memory Foam Like Other Mattresses?
If you’re looking to compare this Simmons foam bed to other mattresses on the market, we’ll point you in the direction of Zinus, Tuft & Needle, and Nectar. These foam beds are similar in construction and pricing, but excel in different areas: Nectar has better edge support while Simmons has better motion isolation, Tuft & Needle has better alignment while Simmons has better pressure relief, and Zinus also has better alignment, but Simmons is cheaper and has better durability.
For an 8” bed with more bounce, check out our review of the Simmons 8” Hybrid Mattress.
Is this mattress made in the United States?
Yes! Each Simmons mattress is made in the USA.
How do I clean my Simmons bed?
To clean your mattress, spot clean with a damp cloth and let it air dry. To prevent spills and accidents from staining your mattress, make sure to use a mattress protector over your bed.
Do I need to flip my mattress?
Nope! Simmons designed this mattress to be one-side: no flipping necessary. To prolong the life of your bed, rotate your mattress every few months.