Sleep Number C2 Bed Review
By clicking on the product links in this article, Mattress Advisor may receive a commission fee at no cost to you, the reader. Read full disclosure statement.
The bottom line: The Sleep Number C2 mattress is an affordable airbed good for couples, combination sleepers, and people who sleep hot. With minimal cushioning, the C2 is a high-quality air mattress built for those who prefer an adjustable bed that’s on the firmer side.
Who Is the Sleep Number C2 Bed Best for?
|Sleep Number C2 is best for:||Sleep Number C2 may not be best for:|
The Sleep Number C2 is Sleep Number’s entry-level mattress, delivering their cutting-edge technology at an affordable price. With just 2” of gel-infused foam atop the air chambers, it’s also one of the firmest Sleep Number mattresses. In this review, we’ll break down everything you need to know to decide if this smart bed is a good fit.
What we love about the Sleep Number C2:
- The Sleep Number C2 is incredibly affordable considering the technology that it offers. You’ll be hard-pressed to find an adjustable smart bed at a lower price.
- With DualAir adjustability, you and your partner can sleep on the same mattress with different firmness levels.
- Thanks to the minimal padding and ample airflow through the air chambers, the C2 is one of the best mattresses for hot sleepers.
- The Sleep Number C2 comes equipped with sleep tracking functions known as SleepIQ technology. For tech-savvy sleepers who want to fine-tune their sleep for optimal health and energy, SleepIQ can help.
The Sleep Number C2 is the most affordable Sleep Number 360 smart bed. Each of these beds comes with Sleep Number’s cutting edge innovations, including DualAir adjustability, Responsive Air technology, and SleepIQ technology.
DualAir technology means that you and your partner can find your ideal firmness thanks to air chambers on each side of the mattress. The Sleep Number C2 is one of the most budget-friendly ways for you and your partner to enjoy individualized comfort while sharing the same bed.
With Responsive Air technology, the Sleep Number C2 mattress automatically adjusts as you reposition during the night. The result is more restful sleep. And with SleepIQ technology, the C2 smart bed provides you with the data you need to improve your sleep habits.
The Sleep Number C2 mattress has only 2” of padding atop the air chambers. With minimal foam, this bed is best for those who like a firm mattress.
*Mattress Advisor Score Coming Soon*
Sleep Number C2 Performance Highlights
- Adjustable firmness: With 100 firmness options to choose from, the Sleep Number C2 delivers exceptional customization. Using the adjustable air chambers, you can experiment until you find the right feel for you. What’s more, the firmness can be adjusted from one day to the next for changing needs.
- Dual air chambers: Couples rarely have the exact same mattress needs. Double-sized Sleep Number beds and larger have dual sided adjustability, meaning you and your partner can each choose your own firmness.
- Low-cost air mattress: The C2 is Sleep Number’s least expensive mattress. At less than $1,000 for a queen-size C2 mattress, you can reap the benefits of dual adjustability, responsive air technology, and sleep tracking without breaking the bank.
- Motion isolation: Thanks to individual air chambers on each side of the mattress (in double-sized beds and larger), the C2 mattress doesn’t spread movement from one side of the bed to the other. By limiting motion transfer, it helps couples sleep together peacefully.
- Responsive: The C2 mattress has technology within that adjusts to your every move. This responsiveness makes it easy to reposition seamlessly at night, great for combination sleepers and those who toss and turn.
- Sleeps cool: Air mattresses tend to sleep cooler than all other mattress types. And thanks to the minimal foam layers in the C2, it’s the coolest of the Sleep Number mattresses.
- Minimal cushion: You aren’t going to find much pressure relief with C2’s thin foam layer. If you are someone who likes a plush feel, the C2 is not the right fit. Side sleepers and heavy sleepers, in particular, tend to find the C2 mattress too firm.
- Cost: While the C2 is the most affordable Sleep Number mattress, you can find high-quality mattresses at a lower price. For those looking for a less expensive mattress, consider memory foam mattresses. For more, check out our favorite Sleep Number alternatives.
- Durability: Some users voice concern over the longevity of the C2 and other Sleep Number mattresses. With hoses, pumps, chambers and more, there are a lot of parts that can break. And with the warranty becoming prorated after two years, you may be responsible for some of the cost to fix any issues.
- Noise: The C2 mattress makes noise when you change the firmness level. As such, the noise can disrupt sleep when sharing the mattress with a partner.
- See Sleep Number Bed Complaints.
Read on to learn what type of sleepers are best-served by the C2 bed.
How Firm is the Sleep Number C2 Bed?
The Sleep Number C2 mattress is the firmest of the Sleep Number beds. Its firmness will range between medium-firm and extra-firm, depending on the Sleep Number you’ve selected. Because it has only 2” of foam atop the air chambers, it provides very little cushion and pressure relief.
What Sleeping Position Does the Sleep Number C2 Bed Support?
The Sleep Number C2 bed is best for back sleepers who like a firm mattress and stomach sleepers. Combination sleepers who don’t spend much time on their sides will enjoy the responsive feel and minimal padding. However, there is not much cushion for side sleepers to sink into.
Does the Sleep Number C2 Bed Sleep Hot?
The Sleep Number C2 bed does not sleep hot. In fact, it is one of the coolest mattresses on the market. The air chambers allow body heat to fully dissipate away from the surface of the mattress. And with only 2” of foam between your body and the chamber, it doesn’t hold any excess heat.
Ample airflow makes the Sleep Number C2 an excellent mattress for those who sleep hot. However, temperature regulation can be difficult for those who run cool. If you find yourself cold during the night on a traditional innerspring mattress, the C2 might not be warm enough for you.
For those who sleep cool, consider opting for a Sleep Number bed with thicker comfort layers. Alternatively, try the Sleep Number FLEXFIT 3 adjustable base. It has a foot warming setting that keeps your body temperature a bit warmer. Paired with flannel sheets and a warm comforter and even cool sleepers will enjoy a cozy night’s sleep.
How Much Weight Does the Sleep Number C2 Bed Support?
According to Sleep Number, this mattress supports sleepers who weigh up to 400 pounds. However, user reviews suggest that heavier adults sometimes find the limited padding uncomfortable.
What Foundations or Bed Frames Can be Used with Sleep Number C2?
Sleep Number beds require a flat, firm, durable surface to adequately support the mattress. Platform beds and adjustable bases are the best options. Sleep Number sells both adjustable bases and an integrated base for use with their mattresses. Box springs and slatted foundations are not recommended for the Sleep Number C2 mattress.
What is the Sleep Number C2 Bed Made of?
The Sleep Number C2 airbed combines adjustable chambers with a thin comfort layer for a medium-firm to firm feel.
- Mattress Cover: The C2 has a zippered mattress cover that is soft and breathable, fitting the mattress snuggly no matter the fill level. The cover is not designed to be removed and washed; rather, it should only be removed when allowing the mattress to air out upon initial purchase or by a technician if the mattress needs upkeep.
- Comfort Layer: Between the cover and the air chambers is a minimal 2” comfort layer. Made from a proprietary gel-infused polyfoam, this layer delivers a cool, slightly cushy feel.
- 6” Air Chamber: The adjustable air chamber is what makes airbeds unique. By varying the quantity of air inside of the chamber, you control how plush or firm your mattress feels. Full size C2 mattresses and larger boast DualAir Technology, a term that refers to each side of the bed having its own air chamber.
- Hose and Air Pump: Each air chamber has a pump and hose that control its fill level. The 4 foot hose and air pump are found within the mattress, creating a seamless look. You aren’t able to feel these components along the surface of the mattress.
- Remote (Optional): Every Sleep Number bed used to be controlled by a remote. Today, these mattresses are smart beds that you can control using the Sleep Number app on your smartphone. However, if you would prefer to use a remote, you can purchase one for each side of the mattress.
Sleep Number C2 Bed Sizes, Dimensions, and Pricing
|Twin||38” x 75”||$599|
|Twin XL||38” x 80”||$699|
|Full||54” x 75”||$799|
|Queen||60” x 80”||$999|
|King||76” x 80”||$1,499|
|Split King||76” x 80”||$1,699|
|FlexTop King||76” x 80”||$1,699|
|Cal King||72” x 84”||$1,499|
|FlexTop Cal King||72” x 84”||$1,699|
*Prices do not reflect exclusive offers or discounts. Click below to see the best price for the Sleep Number C2 Bed. Click here to see our Sleep Number bed coupons.
Sleep Number C2 Bed Unboxing
Every Sleep Number 360 Smart Bed, including the C2 model, is delivered and set-up in your home by a Sleep Number technician. This means that you won’t be the one setting up your new mattress.
Keep in mind that your Sleep Number mattress must be located relatively close to an outlet. The C2 bed needs to be plugged in to control the firmness level and track your sleep using the SleepIQ technology.
Some consumers report a mild rubber odor for the first few days of use. This is caused by the air pumping into the vulcanized rubber air chambers. Within a few days, the scent will fully dissipate. To air out the rubbery scent quickly, unzip the mattress cover.
Learn what to expect when you buy a new mattress through Sleep Number.
|Trial Period||100 nights|
|Warranty||25-year prorated warranty|
|Return Policy||$199 return shipping fee|
|Financing||Sleep Number credit card|
Sleep Number C2 Bed Shipping and Delivery
Every Sleep Number mattress requires $199 ($249 in remote regions) for Comfort Service Home Delivery. This includes:
- Delivery and setup of your new mattress
- Sleep Number base/foundation assembly (when applicable)
- Old mattress removal
Because your new mattress will be set up by a Sleep Number technician, you must be home during the delivery window. Sleep Number will contact you to set up a delivery time and date.
Sleep Number C2 Bed Sleep Trial
The Sleep Number C2 mattress comes with a 100-night sleep trial. From the day your mattress is delivered and set up, you have 100 nights to try it out. It can take multiple weeks of experimenting to find your Sleep Number, so be patient while you adjust to your new mattress.
For those who decide to return the C2 mattress, simply contact Sleep Number during the trial period to initiate a return. There is a $199 return shipping fee. Sleep Number will schedule a time to have someone disassemble and collect your mattress.
While 100-nights is a good length for a sleep trial, the $199-$249 each for delivery and return result in a costly process if you decide not to keep your Sleep Number mattress.
Sleep Number C2 Bed Warranty
The Sleep Number C2 comes with a 25-year warranty that’s prorated after two years. What this means is that any defects in materials or workmanship is covered fully for two years. After that period, you will be responsible for a portion of the cost to repair or replace your mattress.
Read More: Sleep Number Bed Warranty
Sleep Number C2 Bed Customer Service
Sleep Number is one of the few companies where you can receive immediate support 24/7. To get in touch with a Sleep Number representative at any time, visit sleepnumber.com and click on the “Live Chat” button located at the bottom right of the screen.
You can also contact them at 1-888-411-2188 from 8 A.M. to 8 P.M. Monday to Friday and 8:30 A.M. to 5 P.M Saturday.
Sleep Number’s customer service team is friendly and knowledgeable. Every time we have reached out to ask them a question, we’ve received helpful answers right away. Here’s what customers have to say about Sleep Number’s customer service.
- “We just ordered our new Sleep Number C2 and I cannot wait for it to get here. We had a great store experience and the bed was super comfy.” -Terri J.
- “Recently my Mom was looking at a magazine and she decided to call the Sleep Number office and talked to a sales woman named Darlene. If it wasn’t for her continually contacting my Mom to find the best offer, then she wouldn’t have gotten it. She’s so happy to have it now. People that delivered the bed were very cautious, kind, and considerate. Thank you Miss Darlene for being there for me and helping my Mom get her bed.” -Steven W.
Sleep Number C2 Bed Return Policy
You can initiate a return within 100 days from the day you receive your new mattress. Sleep Number does ask that you talk to one of their Sleep Specialists at 1-888-411-2188 if you’re having trouble getting comfortable. You may just need to find your right Sleep Number, or a simple memory foam mattress topper could achieve the right feel.
If you decide to return your C2 mattress, you will receive a full refund, minus the original delivery fee and a return shipping fee of $199.
- “Best purchase I’ve ever made! Sleep Number is perfect for me and my boyfriend, he likes a firm bed where I like a soft one. With Sleep Number we have that!” -Anonymous
- “I have had my bed for 2 months. Best sleep of my life.” -Kimberly K.
- “The minute I got the bed I’ve been nothing but impressed with the quality along with all the other great features.” -Jay
- “Bought several Sleep Number 360 C2 smart beds for our home in the recent months. The app is great and allows you to see your sleep pattern each night & adjust the number for a perfect rest.” -Cal
- “My wife and I purchased this bed a few years ago and it is so comfortable. I had back pain before we purchased this bed and now I can get out of bed with no stiffness.” -Jon B.
Does Sleep Number offer free returns?
When you return a Sleep Number mattress, you will receive a full refund for the price of the mattress minus a $199 return shipping fee. You will not be reimbursed for the initial shipping fee.
Can I select free shipping for my C2 mattress?
No, every Sleep Number 360 smart bed costs $199-$249 to ship, depending on where you live. This fee includes mattress setup and old mattress removal. When your new Sleep Number mattress is set up, the Sleep Number technician teaches you how to use the features of your new mattress.
Can I finance my Sleep Number mattress?
Yes, Sleep Number offers mattress financing. Apply for the Sleep Number credit card at checkout if you want to finance your new bed through Sleep Number.
Can I try out the Sleep Number mattress before I buy it?
Yes, you can go to a brick-and-mortar store to try out the Sleep Number C2 mattress before making the purchase. Visit Sleep Number’s Store Locator to find a store near you.