Natural latex mattress available in 4 firmness options
Available in Soft, Medium, Firm and Extra Firm
10-year limited warranty
Durable natural latex mattress; some assembly is required
- Spindle is a smaller, family business which is why you may not have heard a lot about them.
- However, we do think they offer a great quality mattress that’s natural, durable and customizable to your needs.
- The Spindle mattress comes with a 25-year comfort life program.
Mattress Advisor score for the Spindle
Learn how the Spindle mattress scored in our testing with our score breakdown below. We rate each factor on a scale from 1 to 10.
|Spindle Mattress Review|
|Motion Transfer Test||6.9|
|Edge Support Test||5.5|
|Pressure Relief Test||7.25|
|Spinal Alignment Test||9|
|Customer Service Score||8|
|Social Impact Score||2|
Set up test
The Spindle mattress took us over eight minutes to set up. You have to assemble the mattress layer by layer, so it took longer than the average bed-in-a-box mattress to set up (FYI: the layers come in individual boxes). Don’t worry – it came with instructions!
This mattress was very heavy and hard to maneuver. On the plus side, it didn’t have a noticeable off-gassing odor.
So for our setup test, Spindle gets a 3.5 out of 10.
Motion Transfer Test
Part A - The Humans
The Spindle did an okay job of keeping motion transfer to a minimum. RJ and Asha noticed they could feel their partners movements. They gave it a collective score of 6.75.
Part B - The Wine
The tilting of the wine glass when RJ got into the bed made us a little nervous, but overall the shakiness of the wine, while he rolled around, was minimal. So we gave the Spindle a 7 for our wine test.
So for a total motion transfer score, we gave Spindle a 6.9 out of 10.
Edge Support Test
Part A - The Shoe Test
The Spindle scored a 6 for the edge shoe test. RJ and Asha noted the edge provided only a moderate amount of support.
Part B - The Side Test
After stretching out on the side, RJ and Asha found it a little difficult to lay comfortably (and safely) on the edge. So for the edge support side test, the Spindle scored a 5.
So Spindle gets a 5.5 out of 10 for edge support.
Pressure Relief Test
We saw mainly blue and green on RJ with some red on his shoulders. So we gave him a 7.5 for pressure relief.
We noticed a bit more red in Asha’s shoulders, so we gave her a 7.
So for a total pressure relief score, Spindle gets a 7.25 out of 10.
Spine Alignment Test
Those are some nice looking spines! Both RJ and Asha’s spines were really straight with just a slight upwards curve towards the base of the neck.
For spine alignment, Spindle gets a 9 out of 10.
After trying out the different sleeping positions, RJ and Asha scored the Spindle a 7.5 out of 10 for its ability to quickly respond to their movements.
So Spindle gets a 7.5 out of 10 for responsiveness.
The total Mattress Advisor score for the Spindle mattress:
What makes Spindle different from other mattresses?
- Spindle offers 4 different firmness options, but also allows you to make adjustments to the firmness or purchase new layers to ensure you’re completely satisfied with your mattress.
What to watch out for
- The Spindle requires some at-home assembly. You will need to position the different layers within the cover yourself. Customers claim it’s not that difficult, but it’s something to be prepared for.
Spindle sizes available
- Twin: $1,100
- Twin XL: $1,100
- Full: $1,400
- Queen: $1,500
- King: $1,850
A look inside
The Spindle is made with three, 3” layers of natural latex (which they claim to be 3x as durable and 4x as breathable as conventional foams). The cover is made with natural organic cotton lined with natural wool batting to help wick moisture away.
Related: Best organic mattresses of 2020
You can choose from four different levels of firmness depending on your preference. Spindle has a firmness calculator to help you decide.
What Spindle customers have to say
- “Had the mattress for more than a month now and overall really like this mattress. It is 100% all natural latex and does well in supporting your body when you sleep. The latex had a bit of smell when it first arrived since it was made using natural material but it quickly went away. The mattress is made in the USA so it came very fast. The only complaint is that the latex does make this mattress hotter than most other material especially since it is 10 inches layer. Still, nothing the fan or air conditioner couldn’t solve. Buy this if you are looking for an affordable, natural mattress all while supporting a family owned business here in the United States!” – Shiawtian C.
- “Love It! The very first morning after sleeping on this mattress was the first time, in a long time, that I woke up without lower back pain! The frame and bed assembly was simple as can be. I am 6′ 2″, 225 lbs. and the queen size medium firm seems to be just right for me. Thanks Spindle!” – Paul B.
- We love our mattress. We had a well loved decades old spring mattress. Never having tried a latex mattress before I was hesitant but I’m so glad we made the switch. It is just the right “in-between” of sinking in and laying on top of your mattress. We live in a high humidity climate in Texas and never have I felt that it slept warm. High quality mattress! – Rachel T.
Read more reviews here.
Spindle IRL Customer Review
Rebecca is a young professional living in North Carolina and working in sales. She recently moved to a new apartment and was eager to get tired of her old mattress, which had been passed down for years in her family.
Rebecca is a back and side sleeper. She doesn’t sleep with a partner and has no special conditions. She told us a few things…
On the Factors to Consider in the Buying Process
“I wanted something firm to support my back, but also soft so when I turned on my side it wouldn’t make my shoulders sore.”
On Sleeping on Spindle after One Night
“It’s so much softer. I can’t feel or hear metal springs bouncing, and I can sleep on my side comfortably.”
On Sleeping on Spindle after One Week
“I feel well rested.”
On Sleeping on Spindle after One Month
“I like this mattress. Compared to my old mattress, it is a serious upgrade. My body is finally settling into the bed.”
The finer print
The Spindle ships free to your door anywhere in lower 48 states and should arrive within 7-10 business days.
The Spindle is shipped in three separate cartons, each with a 3” layer of latex. One of those cartons will also contain your zippered case. You will actually assemble the mattress yourself by inserting the latex layers into the cotton cover. It might seem like a hassle, and while it does take more time than just unrolling your mattress, it’s actually not that difficult. You can watch this video on how to assemble the Spindle for reference.
Spindle recommends using a support structure with slats that are spaced no more than 3″ apart for proper support and ventilation. The slats should be made of solid wood (not a composite or plywood like material) for lasting durability.
Spindle offers a 365-day trial period. Yes, that’s one year to decide if this mattress is going to be right for you. If you do decide to return the mattress within the trail period, you’ll receive a full refund.
The Spindle comes with a 10-year limited warranty.
- Made in the USA.
- The Spindle is one of the best latex mattresses we’ve reviewed!
- Comfort life program: as a Spindle customer, you get 30% off a new layer of latex (if it’s damaged or you prefer a different firmness) for up to 25 years (current cost would be $252 per layer with this program).
- The Spindle is made with natural latex, eco-friendly wool and organic cotton.
Other products sold by Spindle
- Spindle also offers a wood foundation ($275 for queen), and replacement parts (cover and an extra layer of latex).
If you have more questions about the Spindle mattress, check out their FAQ page or leave us a comment below.
See more latex mattress reviews.
By clicking on the product links in this article, Mattress Advisor may receive a commission fee at no cost to you, the reader. Read full disclosure statement.