Tuft & Needle Hybrid Mattress Review
By clicking on the product links in this article, Mattress Advisor may receive a commission fee at no cost to you, the reader. Read full disclosure statement.
Our Impression: The Tuft & Needle Hybrid mattress has a medium-firm feel and combines the contouring softness of foam with the responsive support of innerspring coils. The result is a mattress built for every body shape and sleeping position. Plus, it’s excellent for sleepers with aches and pains.
Who Is the Tuft & Needle Hybrid Mattress Best for?
Tuft & Needle Hybrid is best for:
|Tuft & Needle Hybrid may not be best for:|
Tuft & Needle is known for offering some of the most affordable foam mattresses on the market, and now they’ve released a new hybrid design. Combining their Adaptive foam with a supportive core pocket spring layer, this mattress offers balanced comfort for a good night’s sleep.
Want to know how this mattress performed in our lab testing? It’s all in this comprehensive review. We’ll go over the mattress and brand highlights, test scores, and the purchase information you need to know.
Our Favorite Things:
- The comfort layer of this bed is made with their T&N Adaptive foam. This soft layer hugs the body and cushions pressure points—especially great for side sleepers.
- Two layers of innerspring coils deliver a distinctly bouncy and responsive feel. You’ll never feel stuck like you might in some all-foam mattresses, and it provides the right feel for adult activities.
- The foam is infused with carbon fiber, a material that keeps foam breakdown at bay, so you can sleep comfortably for longer on a mattress that won’t sag.
- For the rest of 2021, Tuft & Needle will donate a sheet set to Sleep in Heavenly Peace with every purchase of the Hybrid mattress!
Check out how the Tuft & Needle mattress did on each test and evaluation we conducted in the mattress lab. Every score is out of 10 and is weighted differently based on performance and functionality.
Read more about our review process here, including how we test and how we score.
|Mattress Advisor Test||Score (Out of 10)|
⭐Total Score for the Tuft & Needle Mattress: 8.6/10⭐
Mattress Pros and Cons
- Pressure relief: With a nearly perfect score of 9.5/10 for pressure relief, the T&N Hybrid is excellent for side sleepers.
- Spine alignment: The Hybrid mattress did a great job at keeping our sleep testers’ spines properly aligned. This means fewer aches and pains.
- Responsiveness: With T&N’s responsive foam and 2 layers of innerspring coils, our testers found it easy to move around and get comfy.
- Tuft & Needle offers a risk-free 100-night sleep trial, so you can try out the Hybrid with zero financial risk.
- The Hybrid uses CertiPUR-US certified foam, so you can rest easily knowing your mattress is free from harmful chemicals.
- Tuft & Needles supports their community. They’ve donated over 9 million dollars of mattresses since 2014, they raise money for schools, and their employees spend time volunteering.
- Edge support: The T&N Hybrid earned a 6.5/10 for edge support. If you sleep along the edges, you may be better suited by a mattress with sturdier edges.
- Off-gassing: Because this mattress has generous polyfoam layers, it does have a slight odor when first unboxed. Rest assured, the scent will fade within a day or two.
- The T&N Hybrid isn’t the coolest mattress that we’ve tested. While its temperature regulation is good for the average sleeper, hot sleepers should consider a cooler mattress.
Side sleepers know how important it is that a mattress doesn’t place too much pressure on pressure points like the hips and shoulders. To cushion problem areas, a mattress must have a soft top layer for optimal contouring.
The foam/spring combo in the Tuft & Needle Hybrid offers superior pressure relief, a great feature for side sleepers. And when we say superior, we’re not kidding—it scored a 9.5 out of 10 in our test. That means nearly no pressure was applied to the hips, back, and shoulders.
Check out our pressure map below. The green and blue means minimal pressure!
Edge support is one of the performance factors that’s essential for some sleepers and not-so-important for others. Solid edges mean you can spread out and sleep along the edge, something that couples sharing a queen mattress may need. It also makes it easier to get in and out of bed, a factor that’s important for elderly folks.
However, if you’re someone who doesn’t hug the edges while sleeping, and if you don’t have a habit of sitting along the edges, how sturdy the edges are isn’t going to influence your sleep quality.
The Tuft & Needle Hybrid mattress only earned a 6.5/10 for edge support. What this means is that you might feel a bit unsteady if you lay along the edges or sit there while putting on your shoes.
Combination sleepers love to move around at night to settle into their new position. They need a mattress that isn’t so soft as to make them feel stuck in quicksand, but rather balances comfort with ease-of-movement.
Our sleep testers evaluated the Hybrid’s responsiveness by moving from one position to the next, rating the Hybrid on a 1-10 scale based on how easy it was to change positions and get comfortable. With an 8/10 for responsiveness, you know that you won’t struggle when tossing and turning at night. Thanks to this responsive feel, the T&N Hybrid is a good option for combination sleepers.
The Tuft & Needle Hybrid is a medium firmness mattress, rating a 5.5 on the 1-10 firmness scale. The upper layers of foam offer an immediate plush feel, while the supportive innerspring coils limit sagging.
Does It Match Your Sleep Position?
With exceptional pressure relieving abilities, the T&N Hybrid is a great mattress for side sleepers. The generous layers of foam on top of innerspring coils creates the right balance of plush pressure relief and support for heavy side sleepers, something that’s hard to find. Lightweight side sleepers, however, may prefer a mattress that’s slightly softer.
Our sleep testers found the T&N Hybrid comfortable for stomach sleeping. The plush foam cushions the front of the body while the innerspring coils stop the hips from sinking in too far. Only heavy stomach sleepers are likely to desire more support.
The T&N Hybrid works well for back sleepers. With supportive innerspring coils and contouring foam, the balanced feel keeps the body properly aligned when lying on one’s back.
Combination sleepers need a mattress that supports multiple sleeping positions, and one that’s easy to move around on. The T&N Hybrid performs well on both accounts, with its medium firmness level great for every sleeping position, and its responsive feel perfect for switching positions.
Is It Cool?
The Tuft & Needle Hybrid incorporates open-cell foam with airy innerspring coils for a relatively cool night’s sleep. However, it’s not one of the coolest mattresses that we’ve come across. As such, we recommend it for the average sleeper, but hot sleepers may prefer a cooler mattress.
Does It Support Heavier People?
The Tuft & Needle Hybrid bed works well for every body shape and size. With 6 layers of foam and innerspring coils, it pairs cushion with support, great for plus-size sleepers. Most lightweight sleepers will also like the balanced feel, although lightweight side sleepers may want to consider something softer.
Best Foundations for the Mattress
The Tuft & Needle Hybrid is compatible with most frames, foundations, and bases. A platform bed frame, slatted frame, box spring, bunkie board, or adjustable frame will work well with the T&N Hybrid. They emphasize even support and breathability, so the best options for the Hybrid specifically are slatted frames, box springs or box foundations, and adjustable beds.
Inner Layers, Construction, and Feel
The T&N Hybrid is made up of 6 quality layers that lead to a supportive and cool night’s sleep.
- Quilted pillow top layer: A breathable, open-cell foam infused with carbon fiber and graphite for cooling and durability.
- T&N Adaptive foam: A proprietary polyfoam comfort layer provides plush pressure relief at the shoulders and hips. It’s infused with graphite and cooling gel beads for a cool night’s sleep.
- Innerspring transition layer: Responsive coils that react to your movements throughout the night while limiting sagging.
- T&N Adaptive foam: A transition foam layer for enhanced motion isolation and added cushion at pressure points.
- High-quality pocketed springs: Individually wrapped coils that add support, breathability, and a bouncy feel.
- Support layer: Dense foam for durability.
Tuft & Needle Hybrid Mattress Sizes, Dimensions, and Pricing
|Twin||39” x 75” x 12”||72 lbs.||$995|
|Twin XL||39” x 80” x 12”||77 lbs.||$1,095|
|Full||54” x 75” x 12”||94 lbs.||$1,395|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 12”||112 lbs.||$1,595|
|King||76” x 80” x 12”||138 lbs.||$1,845|
|Cal King||72” x 84” x 12”||139 lbs.||
*Prices do not reflect exclusive offers or discounts. Click below to see the best price for the Tuft & Needle Hybrid mattress.
What’s Setup Like?
Tuft & Needle is a bed-in-a-box mattress company, which means your new bed will come compressed in a box. We found it relatively easy to unbox and set up the mattress—although you may want to enlist the help of a friend if you go for a queen-size mattress or larger due to weight.
There will be a slight odor when you first unbox the T&N mattress. The scent is known as off-gassing, a process during which foam releases small particles into the air. The odor will fade quickly, typically within the first day.
Let’s take a look at what it’s like to buy a mattress from Tuft & Needle.
|Delivery||Compressed and rolled in a box; delivered in 1-5 business days|
|Trial Period||100 days|
|Warranty||10-year limited warranty|
|Return Policy||Free returns|
|Financing||Available through Affirm|
How Shipping and Delivery Works
Tuft & Needle ships via FedEx at no cost within the 48 contiguous United States. There is an additional shipping fee for those who live in Alaska or Hawaii. Most mattresses arrive within 1-5 business days from the date the order was placed.
You don’t need to be home to sign for your mattress.
Sleep Trial Break Down
Every new T&N mattress comes with a 100-night sleep trial. Anytime during this trial you can return your new mattress for a full refund by contacting T&N customer service. T&N will organize for a local charity to come to your door to pick up the mattress and deliver it to someone in need. After it’s picked up, you’ll receive your refund.
The Tuft & Needle mattress comes with the industry-standard 10-year limited warranty. This covers defects in materials and workmanship, including indentations of greater than ¾”.
Read More: Tuft & Needle Warranty
T&N Customer Service Info
You can contact Tuft & Needle any day of the week using one of three methods: live chat on their website, calling at (877)842-2586, or filling out a form for help via email. Their hours are Monday to Friday 7am-6pm and Saturday and Sunday 9am-6pm, PST.
Tuft & Needle is well-known for their exceptional customer service. We’ve always received prompt and polite customer service. Here’s what real-life customers have to say about their experiences with Tuft & Needle.
- “The product is wonderful and we have been able to get a great night’s sleep. The customer service was over the top wonderful! There were some issues that they let me know of and also gave a solution at the same time…It was great and refreshing to deal with a professional customer service team.” -Bryon
- “We have been sleeping on this mattress for two weeks now and really like it. It has good support through the springs, while still providing cushion and give. I recommend the mattress and highly recommend the company – great support that goes above and beyond.” -Katherine
The Return Policy in Plain Language
Returning a Tuft & Needle mattress is easy. Simply contact T&N customer service during the 100-night sleep trial to initiate a return. They will contact a local charity and have them come to your door to pick up the mattress. Once the mattress has been donated, you’ll receive a refund to your original form of payment. You don’t even need to stuff the mattress back into its original box!
Read More: Tuft & Needle Return Policy
From Customers with Back Pain
- “Our new Hybrid mattress is amazing! We just love it! It is so comfortable. My husband and I both have bad backs and we no longer get up in the morning with our backs hurting worse than when we went to bed.” – Lori
- “This mattress is super comfortable. Has a good firmness to it and it’s not bouncy. I wake up every day without any back pain. I often sleep on my sides and back. Highly recommend this to all sleepers.” -Tuan
- “The Hybrid is my kind of mattress! Firm, even support under your entire body. Even sitting on the edge gives you solid support and it doesn’t seem like it would wear unevenly over time.” -Joey M.
- “Good balance between firm and soft. Provides support without sinking in. I’m a side sleeper and didn’t have any issues. My boyfriend is a back and stomach sleeper and no complaints with those positions either. The mattress does take a couple weeks to get used to.” -Ave
- “I started out with the Original T&N mattress but for me, it didn’t feel supportive enough and it wasn’t as soft as I would like. I added the mattress topper which did help, but I was still waking up sore. I decided to try the Hybrid since it was on promotion. Best decision I made! It has the best of both worlds. It has the support that a typical mattress would have but the softness that T&N is known for.” -Delilah
- “My wife and I are really enjoying our TN Hybrid mattress. We like a more plush mattress and this one provides a softer feel than the standard mattress.” -Tyler
Reasons to Buy or Not Buy the Tuft & Needle Hybrid
The Tuft & Needle Hybrid mattress combines the plush contouring of foam with the responsive support of innerspring coils. The generous layers of foam and springs create a mattress that works well for every body size and sleeping position.
The T&N Hybrid earned excellent scores in our tests for spine alignment and pressure relief. These categories are the most important for sleepers with aches and pains, whether that be back pain or pain at pressure points like the hips and shoulders.
While the T&N mattress is great for most sleepers, there are some for whom another mattress may be better. Couples are the one category of people for whom we would recommend a different mattress. The T&N Hybrid doesn’t have the strongest edges, so it’s hard to spread out when you need more space. Additionally, it’s only okay at absorbing motion, so you’re likely to your partner move. For couples or those who co-sleep, check out our top picks for the best mattresses for couples.
Is Tuft & Needle Hybrid Like Other Mattresses?
Tuft & Needle Hybrid vs. Other Hybrids
The Tuft & Needle Hybrid comes in at around the average cost for a hybrid bed. Thanks to generous foam and innerspring layers, this mattress delivers the balanced feel that you’d expect from a hybrid mattress. Side sleepers are met with ample cushion, while heavier sleepers won’t sink in too far thanks to the responsive coils.
Related: Best Hybrid Mattresses
However, most hybrid mattresses sleep cool. The Tuft & Needle Hybrid doesn’t sleep particularly cool for a hybrid bed. For hot sleepers, we recommend you explore the beds that made our list for the best mattresses for hot sleepers.
Tuft & Needle Hybrid vs Other Tuft & Needle Mattresses
- The Tuft & Needle Hybrid vs the Tuft & Needle Original mattress: The T&N Original mattress is an all-foam bed that’s firmer than the Hybrid. While the Hybrid delivers superior spine alignment, the Original is better for couples thanks to superior edge support and motion isolation abilities.
- The Tuft & Needle Hybrid vs the Tuft & Needle Mint mattress: The Mint mattress is the luxury T&N all-foam bed. It has a similar medium firmness level as the Hybrid, but it is slightly softer. The Mint is best for those looking for an all-foam feel, and the Hybrid for sleepers who need extra support.
- The Tuft & Needle Hybrid vs the Tuft & Needle Nod mattress: The Nod mattress is a budget bed by T&N that is only sold on Amazon. The Hybrid mattress offers more cooling and is firmer while the Nod is undoubtedly more affordable.
Does the Tuft & Needle mattress have a break-in period?
Yes, all mattresses have a break-in period. The foam within can take a few weeks to reach its final feel, and your body needs time to adjust to a new mattress. For these reasons, we recommend that you try out the Hybrid mattress for 30 days before making your final decision.
Where is the Tuft & Needle Hybrid mattress made?
T&N mattresses are made in the United States using materials produced around the world.
Can I return my mattress if I spill something on it?
Only mattresses that are in good enough condition to be donated are eligible for return. Damage, including spills, tears, or bed bugs, could void the sleep trial. To protect your new mattress, we recommend using a waterproof mattress protector.
Does the Tuft & Needle Hybrid mattress need to be flipped?
No, the Tuft & Needle mattress is a single-sided design. To prolong the life of your mattress, we recommend that you rotate your mattress rather than flip it.
By clicking on the product links in this article, Mattress Advisor may receive a commission fee at no cost to you, the reader. Read full disclosure statement.