10-year limited warranty
Budget-friendly mattress for the average sleeper
Tuft & Needle highlights
- Tuft & Needle is known for being a universal mattress, or good for the “average” sleeper, offering one mattress design at a medium firmness level.
- Tuft & Needle is one of the most budget-friendly options when it comes to quality foam mattresses. They actually dropped their pricing recently. (A queen mattress used to run for $675.)
Mattress Advisor score for the Tuft & Needle
Here’s how the Tuft & Needle mattress scored on different tests and evaluations. Each score is a rating out of 10 points. The total score is a weighted average that incorporates all of the functional and performance characteristics of the mattress. We break down the scores so you can see how the Tuft & Needle mattress performed on specific tests and evaluations.
8.7 / 10
Tuft & Needle mattress review
Take a look at our Tuft & Needle mattress review and see how it performed in our testing to help you determine if this could be the mattress for you.
*Note: Since our video review was completed, Mattress Advisor learned more about Tuft & Needle’s social impact and customer service efforts, earning them a higher overall rating. Tuft & Needle’s overall score is now an 8.7/10.
The Tuft & Needle mattress is compatible with most bed frames (platform beds, box springs, slatted frames, bunkie boards, and adjustable frames). Just make sure it’s a sturdy foundation. And if you decide to use a slatted platform, just make sure the slats are no more than 5″ apart.
Tuft & Needle sells a few frames and foundations that are designed to work with their mattress. Their Basics line includes a more simplistic Metal Base which can be used in conjunction with their Box Foundation or an existing box spring.
What makes Tuft & Needle different from other mattresses?
The foam used in the Tuft & Needle was created specifically for this mattress. The Adaptive Foam layer (developed by Tuft & Needle) provides the pressure relief and support of memory foam, and the breathability and springiness of latex, without the high price tag that latex typically comes with.
Tuft & Needle was actually started after its two co-founders had a less-than-favorable experience with mattress shopping. So they decided to take matters into their own hands and design a mattress that was high quality without the steep price tag – that you could actually buy with the click of a button.
Whether or not you’ll find comfort on a mattress comes down to your personal preference, but it’s worth noting that 95% of Tuft & Needle customers end up keeping their mattress.
What to watch out for
- Be aware that your Tuft & Needle mattress may have a mild scent when you unbox it – this is normal and should go away within a few hours.
Tuft & Needle sizes available
- Twin: $325
- Twin XL: $375
- Full: $475
- Queen: $575
- King: $700
- Cal King: $700
A look inside
Tuft & Needle’s proprietary foam works to draw heat from your body and disperse it out of the mattress. It’s ideal for sleepers of any size or weight because the more pressure you put on it, the more it reacts to support you.
- Top layer – Adaptive® foam designed to carry heat away from your body and adapt to your movements while you sleep
- Cover – light and airy fabric promotes heat transfer through the mattress
- Bottom layer – foundation foam, provides support and structure
What Tuft & Needle customers have to say
Tuft & Needle mattress reviews from customers with back pain
- “Ordering, delivery and set-up were a breeze! It took a few nights sleep to get used to the mattress but now I have forgotten what it’s like to have back pain! I am an active, healthy nurse but have had diagnosed back issues for years- after sleeping on my new mattress, my back pain has gradually decreased to nothing. I am sleeping like a baby!” – Gina
- “My chronic back pain is gone after about 2 weeks sleeping on our new mattress. Arrival of our mattress was very smooth.” – Kailyn
Tuft & Needle reviews on firmness
- “The mattress is the perfect combo of firm, yet comfortable. The shipping was easy. Customer service great. Since having the new mattress all back pains have ended.” – Elizabeth
- “I chose 10 because Tuft & Needle’s mattress is literally the best mattress I have ever had. It is firm and not too soft, conforms to my body, does not create heat while I’m sleeping and relieved all the back pain that I had. And on top of that, the price and quality of the mattress is really unbeatable.” – Andy
- “When I laid on the mattress it felt a little hard but I noticed that it got a bit softer as it took my body heat. I took a picture of my back and saw that my spine was straight, so i had support, but I also sank in a bit as to relieve pressure on my shoulders and hips. The first day I woke up with no back pain! I have been sleeping on your mattress for nearly 2 weeks now and I am very happy. I doubt I should need it, but it’s very comforting to know that if I should change my mind I have another 12 weeks to figure it out. I’m sold. Thanks Tuft and Needle!” – Kevin
Tuft & Needle mattress reviews on customer service
- “The customer service thus far I would give a 9 though. Easy, fast, and kind. 10 would be the rating if I could see what the return/donation process is like, but I don’t think I’ll be going through that.” – El
- “I have been telling all my friends about Tuft and Needle, as the customer service was excellent at answering all my questions and concerns. I will definitely be recommending your mattress!” – Meredith
- “Tuft and Needle has the best customer service I have ever seen. If you want a great mattress with great customer service buy Tuft and Needle. If you are a side sleeper and find the mattress a little too firm buy a good topper and problem will be solved.” – Michael
Read more reviews here.
You can also take a look at our In Real Life review with a couple that’s owned their Tuft & Needle mattress for over a year.
The finer print
Most customers in the lower 48 states can expect their new Tuft & Needle mattress to arrive in 2–5 business days from the day they order with free shipping.
Tuft & Needle offers same-day delivery for customers in certain parts of Phoenix, New York City and the San Francisco Bay Area. If you qualify for this service, you will see an option for same-day shipping at checkout.
The Tuft & Needle mattress comes compressed, rolled and boxed. You will simply unbox the mattress, unroll it on your foundation, and wait for it to expand. You can also watch this brief video tutorial on how to unbox your mattress.
If you decide to return your Tuft & Needle mattress within the 100-night trial period, they will work with you to find a local charity to donate your mattress to (you won’t need to re-box it). Once your mattress is donated, you’ll send them a scanned or photographed copy of your donation receipt via email and they’ll process your refund in full. *T&N is unable to refund the shipping fees for the original delivery in Alaska or Hawaii.
The Tuft & Needle comes with a 10-year limited warranty.
While the cover cannot be removed, the mattress can be spot cleaned using a small amount of mild detergent and water and gently dabbing the cover, rather than rubbing it. Make sure the cleaned area is completely dry before placing sheets and blankets back on the mattress.
- Made in the USA.
- All foams used in the Tuft & Needle mattress are CertiPUR-US Certified, meaning they are good for you and the environment.
- Through Tuft & Needle’s return policy, direct product donations, and school fundraising program, the company has donated over $8M in mattresses back to the community. Read more about their social mission.
- Tuft & Needle employees have collectively volunteered over 1,000 hours of time to help set up beds, clean bedding, provide meals, build housing, and so much more for those in need.
Tuft & Needle mattress FAQs
How does the 100-night trial work?
When your Tuft & Needle mattress arrives at your doorstep, you will have 100 nights to decide if the mattress is right for you. If you decide to return the mattress, you’ll simply contact Tuft & Needle’s customer support team and they will walk you through the return process. A Tuft & Needle representative will arrange for your mattress to be picked up from your home and donated to a local charity in need.
Note that orders placed through Amazon will also have a 100-night trial period but must be returned through Amazon.
You should also keep in mind that a new mattress can take up to 30 days to break in. Your body needs time to get used to the new sleeping surface, so before you initiate a return, make sure you give yourself some time to get used to it!
Do I need to be home when my Tuft & Needle mattress in delivered?
A signature is not required to receive your Tuft & Needle mattress unless you’re shipping to a place of business, in which case, someone will need to sign for the box. If you’d like to require a signature for a home delivery, just let Tuft & Needle know and they can arrange for that.
If your mattress is being delivered via FedEx Ground standard shipping, the mattress box will be left at your front door or wherever large packages are usually left. In some locations, the driver may not leave the mattress so they can safely re-deliver it the next business day.
Can I try out the Tuft & Needle mattress before I buy it?
If you live near Scottsdale or Gilbert, Arizona or Seattle, Washington you can check out one of Tuft & Needle’s retail stores. These locations allow you to try out the original Tuft & Needle mattress, the Mint mattress, pillows and sheets.
There are also a number of Lowe’s locations across the US that carry an inventory of Tuft & Needle mattresses in full, king, and queen sizes. You won’t be able to try out the mattress in a Lowe’s store but you can make your purchase and bring it home with you that day.
Can I finance my Tuft & Needle mattress?
You can! Tuft & Needle offers financing options through Affirm that allow you to pay for your mattress over time. You’ll have the option to select Affirm financing at checkout. If you’re approved, you will be given loan options for 3, 6, or 12 months.
Note that financing through Affirm is not available in West Virginia and Iowa.
What kind of sheets can I use on my Tuft & Needle mattress?
Standard bed sheets will work great with a Tuft & Needle mattress. Just make sure to stay away from deep-pocketed sheets as they may end up being too big for the mattress and your sheets should have a nice, snug fit.
Will I need to flip my Tuft & Needle mattress?
You won’t and you shouldn’t! The Tuft & Needle mattress is designed to be used on one side only.
How much weight can the Tuft & Needle mattress support?
The Tuft & Needle mattresses can support up to 500 lbs per person, for a total of 1000 lbs on a two sleeper mattress.
Other products sold by Tuft & Needle
- T&N Mint Mattress: $895 for queen
- Pillow: $75 standard / $100 king
- Sheets: $100 for queen
- Mattress protector: $70 for queen
- Bed frame: $1,200 for queen
- Foundation: $250 for queen
- Metal Base: $80 for queen
- Pouch: $450
If you have more questions about our Tuft & Needle mattress review leave us a comment below.
Customer rating is derived from Google Reviews on the Tuft & Needle mattress.
By clicking on the product links in this article, Mattress Advisor may receive a commission fee at no cost to you, the reader. Read full disclosure statement.