Vaya Hybrid Mattress Review
By clicking on the product links in this article, Mattress Advisor may receive a commission fee at no cost to you, the reader. Read full disclosure statement.
Main points: The Vaya Hybrid mattress is a medium-firm mattress, great for back sleepers and people with back pain. Its affordable price tag makes it a great choice for value seekers, and its 100-night trial period makes it a risk-free buy. You even get a 10-year warranty with purchase.
Who Is the Vaya Hybrid Mattress Best for?
|Vaya Hybrid is best for:||Vaya Hybrid may not be best for:|
Vaya is a mattress company that set out to create a simple, universally comfortable mattress at an affordable price—the type of mattress that family members fight to sleep on. You may be thinking that that’s a tall order. So what’s their strategy? Combine the pressure relieving feel of cushy foam with the responsiveness of coils.
We got our hands on the Vaya Hybrid mattress with the aim of testing how well it promotes better sleep. In this Vaya mattress review, we’ll share what we found, plus recommendations for your sleep position, body weight, and body type.
The best attributes:
- Cooling Features: Vaya foam keeps you from overheating with an open-cell structure that is more breathable than traditional memory foam. It’s also more responsive than the average memory foam mattress, so you don’t feel “trapped” in the mattress surface.
- CertiPUR-US Certified: We love clean air and no toxic chemicals in your new bed. Vaya mattresses are certified to exclude harmful chemicals, ozone-depleters, and other toxins. Any off-gassing scent is temporary and completely safe.
- Made in the USA: Vaya is headquartered in Scottsdale, Arizona, and they make all of their mattresses to order in the USA.
- “Goldilocks” Firmness: The Vaya Hybrid is a medium mattress, which appeals to a wide range of sleepers thanks to its “just right” feel.
- Affordable: We consider the Vaya Hybrid to be a top mattress for budget-conscious shoppers who want a high-quality hybrid mattress.
We tested the Vaya Hybrid in our lab using eight different tests and then examined six different shopping considerations to bring you a comprehensive scoring system. See how Vaya performed below, and learn more about our review process.
|Mattress Advisor Test||Score (Out of 10)|
⭐Total Score for the Vaya Hybrid Mattress: 8.3/10⭐
Mattress Performance Markers
- Edge support: The Vaya Hybrid had great edge support, meaning you can both sit and lie near the edge and still feel comfortable and supported without the feeling of falling.
- Responsiveness: The coils inside Vaya help it become more bouncy and responsive—a great feature for combination sleepers.
- Cooling: Between its breathable cover, open-cell foam, and coil spring system, Vaya offers good temperature regulation.
- Social Impact: Though Vaya puts care in delivering you an affordable hybrid mattress, they don’t offer too much in the social impact world.
- Motion Transfer: Couple, pet snugglers, and co-sleepers may not love how easily Vaya transfers motion across the mattress surface.
Alignment in a mattress is a great indicator of whether or not a mattress is good for people with back pain or not. A neutral or straight spine makes for a pain-free morning, so it’s a good thing the Vaya performed well in our alignment test.
We had Katie lie on her side and stomach to get a good idea of how well it keeps your spine aligned. When she lay on her side, we saw her spine almost completely straight, with just a small dip in the middle, earning it a 9/10 for side alignment.
When she switched to her stomach, we noticed her hips didn’t sink in too deep despite the medium feel, giving it an 8.5/10.
This was a very interesting motion test in that it performed well in our human test but not so well in the wine test.
In our human test, our two sleep testers take turns lying on the mattress, blindfolded by a sleep mask, while the other tosses, turns, gets in, and gets out of the mattress. Both testers then rate the level of motion isolation on a scale of 1–10, 10 meaning they can’t feel anything. Averaged together, we gave it a 8.25.
However, our wine test told a different story. The wine in the glass replaces the blindfolded tester and exemplifies the motion transferred. As you can see in the video below, the wine shook and splashed throughout the glass, earning itself a 6.5/10
In our lab, we use a pressure map to accurately determine whether or not a mattress has good pressure relief. We have a male and female tester lie on the map on their sides, backs, and stomachs. Reds and oranges are literally red flags—these mean high areas of pressure. Blues and green are good—little or no pressure.
Vaya performed the best for back sleepers, showing almost nothing but blue for both of our testers.
When it came to stomach sleeping, it passed with flying colors for our female sleep tester, also showing nearly all blue. However, our male tester had a little more pressure in the chest, indicating that Vaya relieves pressure best for lighter weight stomach sleepers.
Side sleeping gave us hands down the worst results. We saw high areas of pressure in the hips and shoulders of both of our testers. This could cause hip and shoulder pain over time; thus, we do not recommend this mattress to side sleepers.
What Is the Feel?
The Vaya Hybrid mattress has a medium feel, which is about 5/10 on the firmness scale. Keep in mind that mattress firmness is a fairly subjective measurement. Those with petite body types may consider the Vaya Hybrid to be a medium-firm or firm mattress. People with heavier body types might classify the Vaya Hybrid as a soft mattress.
What Sleeping Position Is Most Compatible?
Vaya works well for most sleeping positions, but it works best for back sleepers. The top foam layer contours to your spine’s natural curve and provides great pressure relief. We think combination sleepers will also enjoy the Vaya, thanks to its bouncy responsiveness that makes it easy to move.
While lighter weight stomach sleepers will reap the benefits of Vaya’s pressure relief and alignment, heavier stomach sleepers’ hips may sink in too much to provide good alignment. Also, side sleepers may want to keep shopping due to its poor pressure relief in this area.
How Is Temperature Regulation?
The Vaya mattress offers pretty good temperature regulation. It starts with the breathable cover, continues with breathable memory foam as well, and finishes with a pocket coil layer of springs. All of these breathable mattress materials allow your body heat to escape, keeping you from overheating.
You can comfortably support up to 600lbs on the Vaya Hybrid, which is 300lbs per side. We recommend the Vaya Hybrid for those with average body types, especially since heavier sleepers can find themselves out of alignment on this bed.
What Foundations Work Well?
The Vaya mattress was designed to work with most mattress foundations and bed frames. These include platform beds, adjustable beds, and slatted beds (no more than three inches between the slats). Box springs aren’t the best fit, but they’ll work as long as you put a piece of moisture-resistant plywood at least three quarters of an inch thick above and below the box spring. The extra support prevents sagging and keeps the mattress dry.
We were able to peek inside the Vaya Hybrid mattress, and here’s what we found.
- Mattress Cover: The whole mattress is wrapped in a soft, lightweight fabric that looks and feels breathable.
- Top Layer: The comfort layer is made with Vaya’s contouring, responsive comfort foam. It has an open cell structure that improves airflow throughout the foam.
- Support Layer: A layer of pocketed coils enhance spinal alignment by supporting your lower back. They also add extra edge support.
- Base Layer: The foundation of the mattress is a durable, high-density layer of base foam.
Vaya Hybrid Mattress Sizes, Dimensions, and Pricing
|Twin||38″ x 74″ x 12”||$749|
|Twin XL||38″ x 80″ x 12”||$849|
|Full||54″ x 75″ x 12”||$899|
|Queen||60″ x 80″ x 12”||$999|
|King||76″ x 80″ x 12”||$1,199|
|California King||72″ x 84″ x 12”||$1,199|
*Prices do not reflect exclusive offers or discounts. Click below to see the best price for the Vaya Hybrid mattress.
The Unboxing Process
All Vaya Hybrid mattresses are compressed in a 19″ x 19″ x 42.5″ box. It took us a minute 47 to unbox and set up the Vaya mattress. The plastic was easy to unroll, and the mattress was light enough to flop around. The off-gassing smell was slightly sweet, but not that strong.
The following details will prepare you to place your Vaya mattress order.
|Delivery||Free shipping, bed-in-a-box delivery|
|Trial Period||100 nights|
|Return Policy||Free returns|
Does Your Order Ship Free?
Vaya customers in the contiguous US get free shipping on bed-in–a-box mattress orders. If you live in Alaska or Hawaii, give the Vaya customer care team a holler, and they’ll send you their shipping rates.
Your mattress is made to order, which takes between three to five business days. Then, FedEx delivery takes an additional one to five business days. There’s no need to be home for your delivery, but if you want to track your package, create an account on the Vaya website after you finish checking out.
When Will Your Sleep Trial Begin?
When you receive your Vaya mattress, a 100 night sleep trial begins. This trial period is standard for the mattress industry. It can take upwards of 30–60 days to fully adjust to a new mattress, so give it some time before making up your mind.
What Terms Are in Your Warranty?
Your Vaya Hybrid mattress is protected by a 10-year warranty, as long as you’re the original owner and you bought your mattress directly from Vaya. If your mattress develops any pesky manufacturing defects (i.e. cracks in the foam, body impressions deeper than three quarters of an inch), let the folks at Vaya know. You may be eligible for a replacement mattress.
Vaya Customer Service
You can reach the friendly Vaya customer service team over live chat at vayasleep.com, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or by phone at (888) 430-6608. Emails and voicemails will receive a response from the support team in Arizona within 24–48 hours.
Are Returns Free?
If you decide you’d like a firmer mattress or something else entirely, you can initiate a free return during the sleep trial. Reach out to the Vaya customer care team, and they’ll work with you to issue a full refund.
Note: If you ordered your Vaya mattress from Amazon, check with them to learn about their return policy.
Reasons to Buy/Not Buy the Vaya Hybrid
Let’s rewind and discuss what we covered in this review to help you decide if you should purchase the Vaya mattress.
Vaya is an affordable, medium-firm hybrid mattress. It works best for back and combination sleepers and people with back pain. You’ll get the industry-standard 100-night trial and 10-year warranty when you get the mattress.Brooklyn Aurora. It is made with multiple firmness levels and works great for side sleepers of all sizes.
See How Vaya Hybrid Compares
The appeal of the Vaya Hybrid mattress comes from its simplicity. Vaya focuses on a few features and then does them well. But how does the Vaya Hybrid compare to other mattresses on the market? Generally, it’s much more affordable and particularly responsive. Here are a couple close comparisons:
- The Puffy Lux Hybrid mattress is made with three layers of foam and a coil support layer. We thought it offered moderate motion isolation and pressure relief. It sleeps pretty darn cool and is a good choice for those with back pain; however, it costs upwards of $800 more than the Vaya, which includes a lifetime warranty.
- The Tuft & Needle Hybrid mattress is made with a pillow top and alternating layers of Tuft & Needle foam and coils. We were really impressed with its pressure relief and responsiveness, but felt so-so about its motion isolation and temperature regulation. It costs anywhere between $150–$550 more than the Vaya Hybrid.
- The Leesa Hybrid mattress is made with polyfoam and memory foam layers atop lots of pocket coils. It scored high across the board, but performed especially well during our pressure relief and responsiveness tests. You’ll pay $150–$700 more for the Leesa.
- The Casper Wave Hybrid mattress is a memory foam and latex mattress paired with a pocket coil base layer. It’s another top performer, particularly in the categories of responsiveness, motion isolation, and cooling, but it costs a whopping $700–$1,800 more than the Vaya Hybrid.
- The Vaya Mattress is an all-foam bed made with only two layers of Vaya foam. It was designed to provide excellent pressure point relief, and has slightly lower costs than the Vaya Hybrid mattress.
Can I cancel or change my order after it’s been placed?
You can make a change to your order if it hasn’t shipped yet. Call customer support ASAP at (888) 430-6608, and they’ll do their absolute best to catch your order before it ships. You can cancel your order any time by calling customer support. They’ll let FedEx know that the mattress needs to be returned to the Vaya warehouse. Once it’s back, your refund will be processed.
How long can the Vaya mattress stay compressed in a box?
The Vaya mattress can stay compressed for up to three months without developing any defects or damaging the effectiveness of the mattress. It’s a good idea to unbox your new mattress as soon as possible. If you notice any issues after setting up your mattress, reach out to the Vaya customer care team, since your issue may be covered under warranty.
How do I take care of my Vaya Mattress?
Unlike traditional innerspring mattresses, the Vaya Hybrid mattress doesn’t need to be flipped or rotated. Also, even though the mattress cover is removable, Vaya recommends spot cleaning it with warm water and gentle soap. Machine washing and dry-cleaning don’t do an effective job of cleaning the cover and may cause it to shrink.