WinkBeds Plus Mattress Review
By clicking on the product links in this article, Mattress Advisor may receive a commission fee at no cost to you, the reader. Read full disclosure statement.
In a nutshell: The WinkBeds Plus mattress is a luxury hybrid mattress designed specifically for heavy and plus-size people. With a medium level of firmness, a triple-zone pocketed coil support system, and high-density latex foam, the WinkBeds Plus provides optimal pressure relief, support, and comfort for those with a larger figure.
Who Will Love the WinkBeds Plus?
|WinkBeds Plus is best for:||WinkBeds Plus may not be best for:|
The WinkBeds Plus mattress is a top mattress for heavy people. According to the WinkBeds founder, the Plus mattress kept 99.2% of its loft and 98% of its firmness after simulating 20 years of use by a 350lbs sleeper. We were impressed by those results, but we wanted to see for ourselves. In this WinkBeds Plus mattress review, we share our pros and cons, performance scores, and sleeper recommendations.
Our favorite aspects:
- The WinkBed PLUS mattress is made in the USA at the WinkBeds factory in Wisconsin.
- All WinkBeds mattresses are made with eco-friendly CertiPUR-US certified foam layers.
- WinkBeds customers can rest easy with a lifetime warranty that covers their mattress against manufacturing defects.
- Plus size sleepers get extra durable support layers, including contouring micro-coils and pocketed coils.
- This WinkBed mattress review covers the Plus mattress, but WinkBeds also offers other firmness levels like the softer, luxury firm, and firmer mattresses.
When we bring a new mattress into our sleep lab, we run it through a hands-on review process that culminates in 14 category scores and a total score. These categories cover a mattress’s performance, functionality, and the mattress company’s social responsibility. Our total score is a weighted average of all the combined scores. Check out how the WinkBeds PLUS did below.
|Mattress Advisor Test||Score (Out of 10)|
⭐Total Score for the WinkBeds Plus Mattress: 8.2/10⭐
WinkBeds Plus Positives and Negatives
- Spine Alignment: The WinkBeds coil system and extra support foam layers keep plus size sleepers balanced and aligned from neck to tailbone.
- Responsiveness: The foam comfort layers move when you move, so you don’t feel trapped in the mattress surface.
- Cooling: The PLUS is constructed to enable lots of airflow, which minimizes heat retention and keeps you comfortably cool.
- Durability: The WinkBeds PLUS is constructed with high-density foam that is 50% more dense than the standard foam used in an innerspring mattress. In other words, it’s considered sag-proof.
- While edge support may not be a deal-breaker for many, it can be a must-have for the elderly person who needs help getting out of bed. We only scored this bed a 6.6 out of 10 in our mattress lab, so yes, you can do better.
- If the motion isolation isn’t great, you can be disturbed everytime someone jumps in or out of bed. This mattress only scored a 5.6/10 for that in our lab.
- This mattress only scored a 7.25 out of 10 in pressure relief, which isn’t ideal for the side sleeper.
Sleepers with bigger figures need their body weight to be evenly distributed in order to feel well supported. When your weight is balanced on the mattress, we call that good spinal alignment.
We test spinal alignment by having our testers lie on their sides, and then we track the curve of their spines from neck to tailbone. The WinkBeds Plus did a great job of keeping both of our testers’ backs straight, which is why we give it an 8.5/10 for spinal alignment.
According to our testers, the WinkBeds Plus struggled a bit to keep motion transfer to a minimum. Both felt a lot of movement while their partner rolled around and climbed out of bed.
We also noticed that the WinkBeds Plus struggled to handle its wine. In other words, when we placed a glass of red wine on the mattress and rolled around a bit, the glass tilted precariously.
So for the total motion transfer test, the WinkBeds Plus scored a 5.6/10. Check out the video of the wine test below.
We detect areas of high pressure using a heat map on the mattress surface. Cool tones equal low pressure and warm tones reveal high pressure.
We saw mostly blues and greens around our first tester, with warmer tones near her hips. Our second tester showed quite a bit of red near his shoulders, so for the total pressure relief score, the WinkBeds Plus earned 7.25/10.
If you’re a heavier sleeper (over 300lbs), the WinkBeds Plus has a medium firm feel, or 6.5/10 on the firmness scale. If you weigh less than 300lbs, this mattress will feel much more firm.
Sleeping Position Support
The Plus is best for back sleepers, stomach sleepers, and combo sleepers, but it may feel a little firm for side sleepers.
We gave the WinkBeds Plus an 8/10 for cooling. It wasn’t quite cool-to-the-touch, but the breathable cover, gel-infused foam, and coil systems kept the mattress temperature neutral.
The WinkBeds Plus has a weight capacity of 900lbs, though it’s worth noting that the Plus is made with more supportive materials than the other WinkBeds firmness levels.
What Bed Frames are Compatible?
WinkBeds recommends supporting your new mattress on their bed frame, but the Plus will work just fine on any firm, flat surface. Make sure that mattresses larger than a queen size have rigid center support. Slatted bed frames should have no more than 4” between the slats.
The WinkBeds Plus mattress has a hybrid construction of foam, latex, and coils. Specifically, the Plus features a high-density latex foam layer that provides the needed responsiveness and bounce for heavier users.
- Tencel Cover: The mattress cover is made from quilted eucalyptus-based performance fabric. WinkBeds notes that their cover feels 30% cooler than linen and is softer than silk.
- Euro Pillow Top: The top layer is quilted with Hypersoft foam that resists body impressions.
- Gel Foam: This layer was designed to isolate motion and absorb extra heat.
- Support Latex: Instead of a micro-coil layer, the WinkBeds Plus features a support layer of latex that is divided into seven ergonomic zones.
- Lumbar-Support Pad: This extra dense cotton layer reduces tension in the lower back by providing pressure relief.
- Pocketed Coils: These individually wrapped steel coils are separated into individualized support zones that actively push back against your body weight, which ensures localized pressure point relief.
- High Density Polyfoam: This perimeter of support foam improves durability and adds extra edge support.
|Twin||38″ x 75″ x 13.5″||75 lbs||$1,249.00|
|Twin XL||38″ x 80″ x 13.5″||85 lbs||$1,349.00|
|Full||54″ x 75″ x 13.5″||120 lbs||$1,499.00|
|Queen||60″ x 80″ x 13.5″||135 lbs||$1,799.00|
|King||76″ x 80″ x 13.5″||145 lbs||$1,999.00|
|Cal King||72″ x 84″ x 13.5″||145 lbs||$1,999.00|
*Prices do not reflect exclusive offers or discounts. Click below to see the best price for the WinkBeds Plus mattress.
Unboxing and Set-up
The WinkBeds mattress is delivered compressed and rolled in a 20″ x 20″ x 44″ box. It takes a few minutes to unbox the mattress and unroll it on your bed frame. Once the plastic packaging is cut off, it rises to its full size pretty quickly. You may notice a slight off-gassing odor, but if you open a window the smell should be gone in a few hours.
WinkBeds Delivery, Warranty, and Trial Period
Here’s all the purchasing information you’ll want to know when shopping for the WinkBeds PLUS mattress.
|Delivery||Bed-in-a-box via UPS ground|
|Trial Period||120 nights|
|Return Policy||Free returns|
|Financing||Yes, through Bread|
Your WinkBeds PLUS is built to order and shipped for free. You can expect it to be delivered within 7-14 business days. If you want someone else to do the heavy lifting, you can request white glove delivery service for $129, and you can add old mattress removal for a total of $189.
WinkBeds customers get a 120-night sleep trial period that begins when the mattress is delivered. You’ll need to sleep on the mattress for at least 30 nights before initiating a return.
If you exchange your mattress during the trial period, you’ll get a new 60-night trial on the second mattress. WinkBeds will deliver your new mattress before the old one is taken away, so you’re never without a bed.
Note: Mattress exchanges cost $49, which covers transportation and recycling fees.
Hold onto your hat! The WinkBeds PLUS is covered by a lifetime warranty. That’s right—as long as you are the original owner and you bought your mattress directly from WinkBeds or one of their authorized retailers, you’re covered for your full period of ownership.
If your mattress develops a manufacturing defect (i.e. impressions deeper than 1.5”, cracks in the foam), WinkBeds will ship you replacement mattress free of charge.
Contact the Company
The friendly WinkBeds customer service team is available via:
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org, 24/7
- Over webchat or the phone at 855-946-5233, Monday-Friday, 10AM–7PM
The Return Policy
If you’re not in love with your WinkBeds PLUS, you can return it for a full refund within your 120-night trial period. WinkBeds will arrange for a representative to come to your home to pick up your mattress and donate it to a local charity or recycle it.
Is WinkBeds Plus the Right Choice?
We think the WinkBeds Plus is worth the plunge if you’re a plus size person who wants a firm, durable mattress. The Plus is particularly well-suited to back sleepers and stomach sleepers. If you need a little more pressure relief, check out the Helix Plus mattress.
How Does the WinkBeds Plus Compare to Other Mattresses?
We rounded up a few other mattresses designed for larger folks. Here’s how the WinkBeds Plus compares:
- The Saatva HD is considered a luxury mattress, so it’s priced considerably higher than the WinkBeds Plus. The Saatva provides better motion transfer and pressure relief.
- The Big Fig has similar pricing to the WinkBeds Plus. It offers less motion transfer and heat retention, but the Big Fig and WinkBeds Plus provide about the same amount of pressure relief.
- The Brooklyn Bedding Titan is firmer than the Plus, but has very similar performance scores. It scored higher than the Plus for motion isolation and it costs a bit less.
- Adjustable Base 2.0: One-touch remote, featuring weightless and zero-G settings, $999.00/queen size
- 100% Fine Combed Cotton Sheet Set: Sateen weave, 260 thread count, $160/queen size
- Adjust-a-Cube Pillow: Filled with gel-infused memory foam cubes, $119/king size
- BreatheCool Mattress Protector: 100% waterproof and hypoallergenic, $99/queen size
- GravityLux Mattress: A premium memory foam mattress; available in soft, medium, and firm; starting at $1,099
- EcoCloud Hybrid Mattress: An eco-conscious, all-natural latex and innerspring mattress; starting at $1,299
How do I care for my WinkBeds mattress?
Vacuum your mattress once a month to clean out dust and dander. WinkBeds also recommends rotating your mattress every two weeks for the first three months, and then every two months. Use a waterproof mattress protector to keep spills away from the mattress cover.
Can I try a WinkBeds mattress in person?
Yep! If you aren’t ready to take advantage of the WinkBeds sleep trial, you can get the feel for all of the WinkBeds firmness options at one of their showrooms in Austin, Texas; Chicago; Edina, Minnesota; McLean, Virginia; or New York.
Does the WinkBeds mattress have a fire barrier?
It sure does. WinkBeds uses a blend of cotton and rayon beneath the mattress cover as an all-natural fire barrier.