A good night of sleep is one of life’s greatest pleasures, but can often feel out of reach. Fortunately, there’s a ton of amazing sleep technology out there designed to make great sleep a bit easier, one of the most innovative being smart beds. Read along as we recommend some of the best smart beds on the market — ones where comfort melds with high tech functionality to help you achieve the ultimate sleep experience.
What is a smart bed?
Smart beds and mattresses move beyond simply offering a comfortable place to rest: they add a range of technology applications designed to improve sleep, comfort and health. Many have embedded sensors that monitor movement, heart rate, breathing patterns, sleep duration, REM sleep and other factors.
To help you sleep better, smart bed companies analyze this data to provide you with information on the quality of your sleep, make suggestions, and adjust to your changing positions while you sleep. Some are even equipped with anti-snoring capabilities, while others connect with your favorite digital applications to make recommendations on ideal exercise time or temperature control.
Unless you were born with an unusual superpower, you don’t really know what you’re doing while you sleep, so smart beds help you understand your sleep patterns and then optimize them for even dreamier Zs.
Here are a few of the best smart beds that have been making noise in the sleep industry.
- Price: $1,099 for queen
- Customer Ratings: 3.9/5 on Sleepnumber.com
- Trial Period: 100 nights ($99 return fee if you decide it’s not for you)
More affordable than many other smart bed options, the it bed comes with built-in biometric sensors that track your movement, heart rate, and breathing, before using this information to provide adjustments geared toward improving your sleep. For partners with varying sleep preferences, the bed’s dual zone temperature and firmness controls will be appealing and allow each person to sleep more comfortably.
The it bed’s SleepIQ app utilizes data compiled while you were sleeping to suggest ways you can optimize your sleep and sends you a SleepIQ score each day. It also integrates with FitBit, Nest thermostats, Apple Health, and other technologies.
One thing to keep in mind is that this mattress doesn’t come with a remote, so you’ll need to get out of bed to make some adjustments, while others can be made from your phone.
Related: Sleep Number Bed Alternatives
What it bed customers have to say:
- “The only downside is that You have to get out of bed and raise it all the way to 100 and then get in it and stop when it feels comfortable versus being able to stay in it and raise it up and down. Even at 100, still soft enough and comfortable to sleep. Other than that it’s super comfortable and I definitely get a better night’s sleep. I will recommend this bed to anyone who doesn’t want to spend a lot of money for a great sleep.”
- “Love that my smart phone operates and provides reports on my sleep habits. By making some small changes on my part has resulted in me being able to sleep sounder.”
- Price: $3,999 for queen
- Trial Period: 90 days with free returns
The ReST smart bed uses pressure detecting fabric and sensors to respond automatically to your sleep position and keep you comfortable through the night. It will adjust to provide customized support and ensure spinal alignment as you move throughout the night. ReST Bed has five separate zones (legs, hips, lumbar, shoulders, and head) that can each be controlled individually for varying levels of support, making it one of the top smart beds for people with back pain. The bed is capable of auto adjusting throughout the night or you can set it manually before you drift off to sleep.
ReST also makes a different smart bed designed specifically for athletes, which you can learn about here.
What ReST Bed customers have to say:
- “Love how I can customize the ReST Bed to meet my personal needs. Rather than just set an overall firmness, I can set the firmness for each section. For example, when I was pregnant and had to sleep on my side, I made the hip section less firm.”
- “It’s the only adjustable bed I know of that moves with me and makes me comfortable no matter whether if I am on my back or side.”
- Price: $4,699 for queen
- Customer Ratings: 8/5 on Sleepnumber.com
- Trial Period: 100 days (~$200 return and pickup fee if you decide it’s not for you)
The Sleep Number i10 smart bed allows you to set your own preferences for firmness, but also automatically adjusts throughout the night in response to your movement patterns. As with many other smart beds, it will track your breathing and heart rate, and offer tips on diet, exercise, and sleep optimization through an app.
For people living in cold climates, an especially intriguing feature of this mattress is the automatic foot warmer that can be set to turn on just prior to the time you usually crawl into bed. Hello, cozy. Meanwhile, when the bed detects snoring it will adjust the bed position to raise your head.
What Sleep Number i10 customers have to say:
- “I’ve never slept so well in my life! I’m waking up at the first alarm AND actually hear it! Finding comfort with 2 herniated discs was a nightly battle but i’m no longer tossing and turning, and sleeping straight through the night. I’m addicted to my bed!”
- “With both neck and back issues, I’m not sure why I didn’t look into purchasing a sleep number years before. I WISH I HAD!!!! It’s made a huge difference in the quality of my sleep and wish I had purchased one years ago.”
- “I’ve had my new bed for 2 months and have gotten the best sleep in my life. I no longer wake up with back pain.”
- Price: Base – $1,499; App – free for the first two years after purchase of a SmartMotion Base, and then $4.99/year
- Note: The Beautyrest SmartMotion Base 2.0 is not currently available to be purchased online. You can locate your nearest store to pick up the base.
The SmartMotion Base is loaded with smart features and can be used with any mattress, making it a great choice for people who don’t want to buy an entirely new mattress. The SmartMotion base can track sleep duration, REM sleep, awake time, and light, while also auto adjusting, providing responsive snoring relief and even a massage.
The compatible Sleeptracker app tracks your sleep patterns, analyzes the data, and makes it available in the app where you can learn about your sleeping habits and get advice on getting a better night’s rest. The app can monitor both sides of the mattress separately, and can be used to control and adjust the base. You can also use the bed’s built-in alarm system that uses pre-set wake times to awaken you when you’re in a light phase of sleep.
What Beautyrest SmartMotion Base customers have to say:
- “Talk about comfortable. This is the way to go for comfort in bed for reading, watching TV, even working. And the massage ability is great as well.”
- “This adjustable base is way another level, when you get home really tired this is perfect to relax.”
- Price: $299 and up, depending on price.
- Customer Ratings: 2/5 on Amazon.com
- Trial Period: 30 days with free returns
Eight’s Sleep Tracker mattress cover can turn any bed into a smart bed. The cover fits over any standard mattress. Internal sensors track your breathing, heart rate and movement, while also measuring temperature, humidity, light, noise and other bedroom conditions that impact sleep.
Similar to many other smart beds, sleep data is uploaded to the cloud, analyzed and made available to you on an app accessible by phone. Your sleep data can be integrated with other apps, and there’s even an alarm system that uses sleep data to make sure not to wake you up when you’re in a deep sleep. With programmable dual-zone warming technology, the mattress cover is great for cold environments.
The Eight Sleep Tracker is a great budget option for people considering a smart bed, but aren’t quite ready to commit yet.
What Eight customers have to say:
- “I still cannot believe how much of a difference the temp control makes for a night of sleep but it is now a very important part of my nights sleep. When I am at hotels away for work and cannot regulate this I seriously miss my Eight. The tech part is really great, easy to install and use. And it is teaching me all about additional things to think about with my sleeping habits. I very much recommend Eights mattress and technology and won’t be changing my bed ANYTIME soon.”
- “Beautiful design, effective product. Love to find a warm bed when I go to sleep and love to be able to track my sleep patterns without having to wear any device on me. App is elegant and works smoothly.”
Smart beds can not only make you feel like you’re one of the Jetsons but can also provide valuable and actionable information about your sleep trends and habits to help you get your best rest.
Still have questions about smart beds or accessories? Leave us a note in the comments below.
By clicking on the product links in this article, Mattress Advisor may receive a commission fee at no cost to you, the reader. Read full disclosure statement.