The Nectar Pillow Review
We give you all the juicy details about Nectar’s dual-layer Original Pillow, as well as their Lush Memory Foam Pillow in this review.
Jan 4th, 2021 •
Nectar’s memory foam pillows have scored positive reviews with consumers. Their unique construction and rave reception caught our attention, and we decided to see if the hype is real. In our Nectar Pillow review, you can expect details on what the pillow is made of, special features it brings to the table (or mattress), real customer reviews, and common FAQs. Let’s get started!
What Are the Pillows Made Of?
Until recently, Nectar only offered their Original Pillow. Now, they’ve added the 100% memory foam Lush Pillow. Here’s how both are constructed.
Original Nectar Pillow
Nectar’s Original Pillow features a trendy pillow-in-pillow design that is popular for good reason: it enables you to add or remove fill to achieve the ideal loft level for your head. Let’s break down the pillow by layer.
The outer shell is also considered to be the outer pillow. Normally dual-layer pillows have a thicker outer pillow, so Nectar’s construction diverges from the norm. The first thing you’ll experience is the quilted Tencel cooling fabric. Bedding companies love Tencel covers because they are soft, breathable, and moisture-wicking. Tencel is a microfiber, so it’s also more durable than other natural fibers like cotton.
Beneath the initial fabric cover is quilted memory foam. This gives the pillow an immediate plush feel—like resting your head on a cloud. You’ll definitely want to use a pillow case, even though the cover is soft, because it’s spot-clean only.
Once you unzip the outer shell, you’ll see the inner pillow. It’s another pillow filled with 2 types of shredded foam. The fill is primarily premium visco-elastic memory foam, which holds its shape well enough to provide loft for side sleepers and has enough give for back sleepers.
To adjust the fill level, find the zipper on the side of the pillow case, unzip, and add or remove fill. Because it’s shredded, it can get a bit messy, so you’ll want to store it in a plastic bag that can be sealed.
Nectar Lush Pillow
Nectar’s Lush pillow is much simpler than their original. The core is 100% molded memory foam, rather than shredded, so it will have a slightly firmer feel than the original. Molded foam can be pretty dense, which is great if you need a little extra support for your head. Some sleepers find molded foam to be too firm, but Nectar assures us that the Lush pillow is plenty soft.
What Makes the Nectar Pillows Special?
Here are our favorite features for both of Nectar’s pillows:
Original Nectar Pillow
- Adjustable: You’ll find adjustable pillows all over the bedding market, but a lot of them can only be customized by removing a solitary inner core. Nectar’s foam fill is shredded, so you have more control over exactly how your pillow feels. Nectar ships your new pillow overstuffed, so simply remove foam (or don’t!) until it’s the right loft level.
- Cooling: Nectar’s pillow features cooling technology on the inside and outside. The cover is made of breathable Tencel microfiber that lets heat pass freely through the pillow surface. Shredded fill allows air to move more freely through the bulk of the pillow, rather than getting trapped right beneath your (now sweaty) head.
- Price: Nectar’s $75 price point isn’t too bad, considering you get a customizable sleep experience and high-quality materials.
Nectar Lush Pillow
- Pressure Relief: Your head is heavy (10-12 lbs for an adult!), so you need a pillow that can handle the weight. The Lush Pillow’s denser construction means it doesn’t compress as easily as pillows with down or synthetic fill. With the full weight of your head supported, your neck doesn’t have to pick up the slack, and you get a boost in pressure relief.
- Conforming: Filled pillows can get lumpy over time, so you constantly have to adjust the position of the fill in order for it to conform to your neck. Memory foam pillows like the Lush do a great job of contouring around your head and neck. You never feel like one part of your neck isn’t supported as well as the others.
- Machine Washable: Regular pillow washings prevent the build up of oils and dead skin cells that can cause breakouts. Unlike the Original Nectar Pillow, the Lush can be tossed into your washer and dryer. You can also spot clean surface stains.
So what’s it like to purchase a Nectar pillow? That’s what we’ll talk about next.
Sizes and Prices
Nectar only sells their Original Pillow in a specialty size that lands between traditional standard-sized (20” x 26”) and queen-sized (20” x 30”) pillows. It measures 17” x 29” x 5.5”. Even though the dimensions are unique, it fits into a queen-sized pillow case.
Nectar sells their Original Pillow for $75, although they occasionally include free pillows with Nectar mattress purchases.
The Nectar Lush Pillow is offered in a 16” x 25” x 5.5” specialty standard size and 16” x 32” x 5.5” specialty king size. Both pillows fit into traditional standard and king sized pillow cases. The standard size will cost you $99.
Nectar also offers financing through Affirm for all pillow purchases.
Related: Nectar Lush Mattress Review
Shipping and Returns
As a Nectar pillow customer, you get free shipping and returns within the home trial period.
If you’ve broken into your pillow and given it a fair shot, but still don’t feel the love, donate the pillow to a charity and send Nectar the donation receipt. Once they get proof that you’ve donated the pillow, they’ll issue a full refund. Your money will show up in your bank account within 7-10 days.
If you change your mind after delivery and your pillow is unwrapped, let Nectar know, and they’ll arrange for it to be shipped back to their warehouse. They’ll restock the still-packaged pillow since it remains unused. You’ll also get a full refund on your pillow purchase.
Side note: Free pillows that you receive as part of a bundle aren’t eligible for returns, even if they’re unopened.
Trial and Warranty
You get 50-nights to test out Nectar’s pillows. If you don’t love them, show Nectar proof of donation to a local charity, and you’ll get a full refund.
Nectar’s pillow warranty is a bit tricky. The website and customer care team confirm that Nectar pillows are covered by a 5-year warranty.
If your pillow isn’t fully inflating after delivery, or if you’re concerned it doesn’t meet Nectar’s expressed quality standards, email a photo and description of the defect to firstname.lastname@example.org. They’ll help you reach a satisfactory solution.
Read More: Nectar Warranty
- “My husband and I are both side sleepers and I occasionally switch to stomach and back, and this is just the best pillow I’ve ever used in my life. Supportive yet soft.” – Amber M.
- “I sometimes wake up with kinks in my neck because my pillow is either too high or too low but this pillow is perfect.” – Ekeobong U.
- “I am a side sleeper and 70 years old…I was having neck pain with my old pillows, so I decided to try a Nectar. Wow! Pain free and slept through the night.” – Susan G.
Pros and Cons
|Soft Cover: The Tencel fabric cover is soft and breathable.||Cleaning: The Original Pillow is spot clean only, not machine washable.|
|Versatile:The Original Pillow works for all sleeping positions, and the Lush Pillow works particularly well for side and back sleepers.||Messy: Shredded pillow fill can be messy when removed.|
|Adjustable: The Original Pillow can be adjusted to your preferred loft level.||Limited Sizes: Both pillows are only offered in limited specialty sizes.|
- Do Nectar pillows fit into traditional pillow case sizes? Yes! Even though Nectar pillows have specialty sizes, they fit into traditional queen and king-sized pillow cases.
- Do Nectar pillows keep their shape when they’re slept on? They do. The Original Pillow’s gusseted sides keep the pillow surface level. The Lush Pillow is one piece of molded memory foam, so it doesn’t change shape except when it temporarily conforms to your head and neck.
- Are the free pillows offered with my Nectar mattress the same as the ones sold separately? Yep! When Nectar sends you free pillows as part of a discount mattress bundle, you’ll receive the Original Pillow.
Nectar’s pillows are comfy and supportive for all sleep positions. Don’t take our word for it, though! Test one out risk-free, and decide if it’s a good pillow for your needs.
Related: Nectar Mattress Protector Review
Mattress Accessories & Bedding
Best Adjustable Pillows
Have you ever experienced a bad night of sleep due to an ill-fitting pillow? Adjustable pillows make bad sleep a thing of the past. Read below to find out our top picks for the best adjustable pillows.
Nectar Mattress Coupons
When it comes to a good night’s sleep, you won’t go wrong with a Nectar mattress. Save up to $399 on a Nectar mattress this holiday season with our Nectar Mattress coupons & promo codes.
Nectar Mattress Return Policy
With a year-long trial period, the Nectar mattress return policy is one of the most generous around. Learn more about its fine print, how-to’s, and other details.