Nectar vs Tempur-Pedic Mattress Comparison
See how Nectar’s memory foam mattresses compare to TEMPUR-Pedic’s 5 luxury memory foam models.
May 4th, 2021 •
TEMPUR-Pedic is a legend in the memory foam market, but Nectar provides a comfortable foam bed for a much lower price. In this comparison, we’ll help you decide the best bed for you by covering materials, firmness, prices, and warranty.
The original Nectar mattress is cozy from the moment you lay down. They use Tencel on their plush, quilted memory foam mattress cover. Tencel is a soft, breathable microfiber cotton alternative that naturally repels dust mites.
The top layer is gel memory foam. It evenly distributes your body weight and equalizes the temperature beneath your sheets. Next, a hi-core memory foam transition layer prevents you from sinking too deep into the mattress. Finally, the high-density base layer adds stability to the whole mattress.
Nectar also includes a bottom mattress cover that keeps the mattress from sliding off it’s foundation.
- Cooling Technologies: Nectar takes customer comfort seriously by incorporating the cooling properties of gel into their foam layers. Gel is uniquely comfortable because it is cool-on-contact. It also absorbs and distributes heat, so it doesn’t get trapped under your body.
- Pressure Relieving: Memory foam is known for contouring snuggly to your body without disrupting your spine’s natural alignment. In our lab evaluation, the Nectar mattress scored 8.5/10, meaning it did a great job of cushioning our tester’s shoulders, hips, and lower back.
- Motion Transfer: The Nectar also scored 8.5/10 on motion transfer. The foam layers absorb motion from you or your sleeping partner, so neither of you are bothered by movements in the mattress surface. You also won’t experience the “hammock” effect of both of you rolling into the center of the bed.
- Responsiveness: Nectar received an excellent score for responsiveness. It rapidly adjusts to changes in pressure, so you never feel like you’re trapped in the foam. Combination sleepers who change position during the night will fare especially well on this bed.
- Edge Support: The highest score in our lab assessment was edge support. The Nectar supports your weight across the entire mattress surface. You won’t run out of space or roll off the edge of the bed.
|Original Nectar Mattress||Nectar Lush Mattress|
Read More: Nectar Mattress Coupons
Returns and Warranty
Nectar offers the most generous trial period and warranty on the market. They give you 365 days—a full year!—to test out their mattress. The trial begins after you’ve had the bed for a 30-day break-in period. You also get free 2-3 day shipping via FedEx Ground (shipping is $150 for addresses in Alaska and Hawaii).
Nectar offers white glove delivery for $149, which includes set up of your new mattress and disposal of your old mattress.
Read More: Nectar Mattress Return Policy
Returns are also free and available for customers in the contiguous US, as long as you’ve had the mattress for at least 30 days. Nectar will work with you to donate or recycle your new mattress. You can order a different mattress after a return, but Nectar only allows one exchange per customer.
Finally, all original owners of a Nectar mattress are eligible for a lifetime warranty. During the first 10 years of your “forever warranty” Nectar will replace your defective mattress for free.
Read More: Nectar Mattress Warranty
- The medium-firm feel works well for all sleeping positions
- Nectar’s prices are affordable for the average shopper
- Excellent motion isolation is ideal for couples concerned with nighttime disruptions
- High scores for pressure relief and spinal alignment help to ease back pain
- An unbeatable lifetime warranty and yearlong sleep trial
- Nectar’s products are sourced and manufactured all over the world, rather than exclusively in the USA
- There is a slight off-gassing smell during unboxing
- The warranty only covers impressions of 1.5” or more, while other mattress brands cover impressions as shallow as 1” or 0.75”.
- While gel foam is cooling, the Nectar is not as cool as some other memory foam mattresses
The TEMPUR-Cloud is the most basic TEMPUR-Pedic mattress model. It has 3 foam layers and a medium feel that appeals to most sleepers. According to their website, the TEMPUR-Cloud is 40% more pressure relieving than the closest competitor.
The Cloud mattress cover is designed to be breathable and moisture-wicking. As with all of TEMPUR-Pedic’s beds, the top layers of memory foam feel slightly firm at first, and then contour snuggly around your body. The support layer improves motion isolation, and a durable foam base layer prevents excess sinkage.
The TEMPUR-Adapt may be another basic TEMPUR-Pedic model, but its comfort is anything but ordinary. The Adapt takes personalized support to the next level. Plus, it’s offered with an all-foam construction or a hybrid construction.
Both models are wrapped in a cool-to-the-touch cover that repels common allergens, such as mold, pet dander, and dust mites. The all-foam model features 2 foam layers atop a supportive base. The comfort layer is softer and more cushioning than the thicker support layer. The hybrid mattress swaps the foam base layer with 1,000+ spring coils.
The TEMPUR-ProAdapt is offered in 4 firmness levels for ultimate customization. Each variation of the ProAdapt features a SmartClimate Dual Cover System cooling cover. The outer layer is removable and machine washable. It’s also treated to resist allergens. The inner cover is extra stretchy to ensure that you get all of the contouring available from the memory foam.
ProAdapt’s softest option tops a supportive base layer with 2 pressure-relieving layers of foam. The medium option uses the slightly firmer Original TEMPUR comfort layer in addition to the extra conforming TEMPUR APR support layer.
The Medium Hybrid option is the same as the medium, except for a foundation of premium spring coils. Lastly, the firm option uses the TEMPUR-APR comfort layer on top and the Original TEMPUR support layer on bottom.
TEMPUR-Pedic calls the LuxeAdapt their most conforming mattress model. It features TEMPUR-APR+ foam, which has a tighter cell structure than the original APR material, providing advanced pressure relief and motion isolation. It’s available in soft and firm feels.
Both LuxeAdapt mattresses are topped with the cooling SmartClimate Dual System cover. The softer option has a cushy TEMPUR-ES comfort layer and ultra-conforming TEMPUR-APR+ support layer. The firmer option pairs the TEMPUR-APR+ support layer with the sturdy Original TEMPUR comfort layer.
The TEMPUR-breeze is a dream for hot sleepers. It combines all of TEMPUR-Pedic’s cooling technologies and is offered in 4 firmness levels and 2 temperature options. The PRObreeze keeps you 3 degrees cooler than normal, and the LUXEbreeze drops your sleeping temperature by a full 8 degrees.
Here’s how each of these 4 options looks on the inside:
The medium and medium hybrid PRObreeze models are 3 degrees cooler and are covered by the cool-to-touch SmartClimate Dual System. They also include the body heat absorbing PureCool+ Phase Change material, breathable TEMPUR-CM+ material, and supportive Original TEMPUR material. The hybrid version swaps premium spring coils for a dense foam base layer.
The soft and firm LUXE breeze models keep you 8 degrees cooler. Similar to the PRObreeze models, the LUXEbreeze mattresses feature the SmartClimate Dual System cooling cover, PureCool+ Phase Change material, and TEMPUR-CM+ material. The 5 degree difference in temperature comes from the support core of Ventilated TEMPUR-APR material, which drastically improves airflow throughout the mattress.
- Conforming Support: TEMPUR-Pedic’s most well-known feature is their ultra-contouring memory foam. Since it adapted NASA’s breakthrough memory foam technology for mattresses, TEMPUR-Pedic has continually worked to improve on their original design. With every TEMPUR-Pedic model, you can expect superior spinal alignment and pressure point relief.
- Advanced Cooling Technology: Traditional memory foam has a reputation for sleeping too hot. In response, TEMPUR-Pedic has developed some of the most advanced cooling technologies on the market. Specifically, their TEMPUR-breeze models feature change phase material that absorb body heat, as well as breathable comfort layers that cycle excess warmth out of the mattress.
- Abundance of Options: TEMPUR-Pedic offers mattresses for every kind of sleeper. Almost all of their models come in the full range of standard mattress sizes, including split sizes. Their mattresses represent the full firmness scale, with soft, medium, medium hybrid, and firm models. Additionally, consumers can choose between lower and higher cost models.
- Legacy of Comfort: Consumers trust the TEMPUR-Pedic brand. Not only was TEMPUR-Pedic the original memory foam mattress company, they consistently produce high-quality foam beds with groundbreaking comfort technologies. That’s why most consumers associate TEMPUR-Pedic with ultimate comfort.
Returns and Warranty
TEMPUR-Pedic offers a 90-day trial period on all of their mattress models. Additionally, they ship your new mattress for free and include complimentary white glove delivery (excluding Alaska and Hawaii). That means you don’t need to worry about setting up your new mattress or disposing of your old one.
Each TEMPUR-Pedic mattress is protected by a 10-year limited warranty. They will repair or replace your mattress for up to 10 years after the date of purchase.
- Superior pressure relief for all sleeping positions
- Effective cooling layers that counter memory foam’s tendency to retain heat
- Free shipping and white glove delivery, including old mattress removal
- A variety of mattress models that suit every kind of sleeper and luxury shopper budget
- Low motion transfer, which reduces disruptions from sleeping partners
- Higher price points than memory foam mattress competitors
- Memory foam can feel too firm for some sleepers
- Only a 10-year warranty, which is on the shorter end for the mattress industry
- TEMPUR-Pedic models without advanced cooling features may be too warm for hot sleepers
So which is the best mattress for you? It depends on your top priorities when shopping for a memory foam mattress. Here are our recommendations:
- Sleeping Position: TEMPUR-Pedic offers more firmness options, so you’ll have greater variety with one of their beds. Side sleepers will want a softer feel, while back sleepers need a firmer bed. The Nectar mattress scored well on pressure relief, so it’s also a good mattress for side sleepers. Stomach sleepers will fare well on any of the medium-firm models.
- Budget: Nectar is the clear winner here. TEMPUR-Pedic is a luxury mattress brand, so their higher price points are to be expected, but you’ll pay thousands more for one of their beds.
- Temperature: The TEMPUR-breeze is the best mattress for hot sleepers. Nectar received an average score for cooling, so you’ll want to stick to lighter sheets with that bed.
- Delivery: TEMPUR-Pedic offers free white glove delivery, which is best for seniors who need help with set up.
- Warranty/Trial Period: Nectar has a lifetime warranty and 365-day sleep trial. Enough said.
Compare More Tempur and Nectar Beds:
Tempur-Pedic Mattress Reviews
The Tempur-Pedic mattress brand is synonymous with luxury memory foam mattresses that offer years of great sleep. Comb through our reviews and see which is right for you.
Compare Resident Mattress Models and Prices
Read our reviews of all the Resident mattresses to learn what sets them apart and which mattress is best for you.