PlushBeds 100% Natural Latex Mattress Topper Review
Does the PlushBeds Natural Latex Mattress Topper really make you feel like you're "sleeping on a cloud"? Here's what we thought.
Mar 28th, 2023 •
If you don’t like your mattress—whether because it’s too soft, too firm, too warm, or just inexpressibly off somehow—adding a mattress topper is the best way to give it a makeover. The PlushBeds Organic Mattress Topper is an excellent candidate for this role because it gives you so many thickness and firmness options. Available in 2” and 3” versions—and five levels along a spectrum from soft to extra-firm—the topper has something to suit every type of sleeper. It also comes in six bed sizes and the option to add a cotton cover.
But does it deliver on its promise to make you feel like you’re “sleeping on a cloud?” We were dubious, so we put the three-inch “medium” model to the test at our mattress house in south Austin to find out. Read on for more about this eco-friendly latex topper.
The version of the PlushBeds topper I tested has an organic cotton cover. You can choose to add this for an extra $93 or purchase the topper as-is.
Inside the cover is a 2” or 3” (depending on which you buy) slab of 100% natural Talalay latex. There’s nothing else inside—it really is just constructed from pure latex with no chemical fillers. This latex is sustainably sourced and meets the qualifications for OEKO-TEX Standard 100 and GreenGuard Gold certifications.
- Firmness Options: Not only can you choose the thickness of your topper, but you can also pick between five layers of firmness. This means everyone can find a comfy, supportive fit, whether you want to make your mattress more firm or much softer.
- Good for All Types of Sleepers: Thanks to all those size and firmness options, back sleepers, side sleepers, stomach sleepers, and combination sleepers can all enjoy this topper. To wildly generalize, stomach sleepers will likely want a firmer model, while side sleepers will likely want one at the softer end of the spectrum. Back sleepers will do well with any of them, depending on personal preference. PlushBeds recommends the “extra-firm” for sleepers over 250 pounds.
- Cooling Superpowers: Latex tends to be a breathable material that sleeps cool. The combination of a latex core with an open-cell design and cool cotton cover helps this heat-dissipating topper keep you from turning into a sweaty, sticky mess overnight.
- Eco-Friendly Construction: PlushBeds uses all organic materials that are certified to be free from harmful chemicals.
- Longevity: Latex is a durable material on its own—Plushbeds says its mattress toppers can last up to 20 years. But the brand also backs its toppers with a five-year warranty in case any defects should arise.
Sizes and Prices
The PlushBeds Organic Mattress Topper comes in multiple size, thickness, and firmness configurations—all of which affect the price of the topper. A cotton cover adds $93 to the prices below. The prices listed are before our discounts.
|2” Twin||38” x 75”||$288-$349|
|2” Twin XL||38” x 80”||$328-$349|
|2” Full||54” x 75”||$405-$449|
|2” Queen||60″ x 80″||$445-$511|
|2” King||76″ x 80″||$536-$661|
|2” Cal King
||72” x 84”||$524-$661|
|3” Twin||38” x 75”||$399-$499|
|3” Twin XL||38” x 80”||$405-$499|
|3” Full||54” x 75”||$511-$649|
|3” Queen||60″ x 80″||$586-$736|
|3” King||76″ x 80″||$774-$974|
|3” Cal King
||72” x 84”||$774-$974|
*Prices listed are standard without sales or Mattress Advisor exclusive discounts. Click below to find the best price for the PlushBeds Natural Latex Mattress Topper.
The PlushBeds Mattress Topper is backed by a five-year warranty. PlushBeds doesn’t offer a sleep trial.
Shipping and Returns:
Free shipping comes with your purchase of this mattress topper; however, PlushBeds has a no-return policy once the package is opened due to what it describes as “safety and sanitary regulations.”
- My wife and I host a lot of out-of-town family and friends, despite not having a lot of extra space and having to rely on an old IKEA futon to serve as a guest bed. I’ve been looking for a good mattress topper to turn this flawed setup into something a little more welcoming to visitors young and old. With this in mind, I gave the 3” medium PlushBeds 100% Natural Latex Mattress Topper a whirl to see what it could do for my cheap, plank-like bed surface.
- The first thing I noticed about the topper is that the “medium” is a bit firmer than I expected, which came as a welcome surprise after a few spongy-feeling mattress topper disappointments.
- Whether resting on my back, side, or stomach, I only sank a little into the topper, which gave me the sensation of floating above it instead of plunging or sagging into it. You couldn’t even describe it as sinking—it was more like dipping, as my hip and shoulder rested atop the latex. But I also felt supremely comfortable in both of my favorite sleep positions: side and back. The topper gave me a feeling of good support and alignment, without forgoing the pressure relief I hoped to gain from adding it.
- Each time I repositioned myself, the slab of latex felt springy and responsive; the topper immediately adjusted to my position. It wasn’t exactly a bouncy castle effect—at no point did waves from my movements ripple out across the bed—but I loved the topper’s resilient spring. The cotton cover added a luxurious plush feel that I was almost hesitant to put sheets on.
- After spending significantly more time on the PlushBeds topper during a work day than I planned, I would recommend it to anyone who wants more support and pressure relief from their mattress, as well as anyone who likes the firm but bouncy feel of latex. The fact that the topper gives you so many options suggests it will work well for most sleepers; I found that just the 3” “medium” model alone had the versatility to support most body types and sleep positions.
- “I love this mattress topper. It isn’t sweaty like other synthetic mattress toppers I’ve owned. It’s super supportive while still having enough give for my hips. I love it. It’s made it hard to get out of bed.” — Hannah J.
- “I bought a bed three years ago, and I guess I should have bought a soft mattress instead of a medium. The topper made all the difference. I no longer wake up stiff and in pain.” — Sondra L.
- “I’m getting more hours of restful sleep each night!! My back no longer hurts and I’m not “tossing throughout the night” (as I was before).” — Valerie S.
Pros & Cons
- Good Pressure Relief: Since side sleeping is the position in which I experience the most pressure buildup, I settled in on my side on the topper to see what it could do for my shoulder and hip. I didn’t sink very far into the topper, but it provided just the right amount of cradling for a comfortable nap.
- Bouncy Responsiveness: The topper has high responsiveness and a bouncy feel that makes it easy to change positions or get out of the bed quickly. Unlike with memory foam I didn’t sink into the latex—I felt more like I was lightly nestled on top of it.
- Next-Level Motion Transfer: You can romp around on this topper, and your partner won’t feel anything on the other side of the bed. That’s how good it is at isolation motion. This also makes it a great choice for couples.
- So Many Options: I tried the 3” medium mattress topper and loved its comfy, pressure-relieving feel—with just the right mix of forgiving support. It’s nice to know that those who would prefer a much softer or firmer PlushBeds experience have lots of options.
- High-Quality Materials: PlushBeds touts the high-quality materials in its topper, and I can confirm: The topper feels very well-made. Its cotton cover is super-soft, with little perforations for breathability. The latex inside feels strong, springy, and durable.
- Price: All those high-quality organic materials come with a hefty price tag. That said, buying this topper is a cheaper and easier way to get a cozy sleep experience without having to spring for a whole new mattress.
- No Sleep Trial: PlushBeds has a five-year warranty on its toppers, but no returns. So you won’t have a chance to send it back if it’s just not the right fit for you.
The PlushBeds 100% Natural Latex Mattress Topper is a shortcut that can save you a few extra steps in your quest for comfy sleep. If you’re looking to replace your mattress—or trying to make a beat-up old futon feel like a welcoming place to rest your head—consider adding it to the mix. It sleeps cool and has the bouncy, responsive feel of latex with good pressure relief for back and side sleepers. And it comes in two thickness options, five firmness levels, and six bed sizes, so everyone should be able to get what they need from it.
Just note: Although PlushBeds offers a five-year warranty for mattress topper defects, the brand doesn’t accept returns once the package has been opened. Make sure you get the correct size topper before committing to your order.
Mattress Accessories & Bedding
Best Mattress Toppers
Mattress toppers literally take your bed to the next level. They provide comfort and support at an affordable price. Check out our favorite mattress toppers and what to look for when shopping for your own.
PlushBeds Botanical Bliss Mattress Review
Do you want a customizable all-natural organic mattress? Read our PlushBeds Botanical Bliss mattress review to see if this mattress is a good fit for you.
Best Soft Mattress Toppers
All mattress toppers are comfy, but they are not created equal. Benefits will vary depending on what you’re searching for. Are you looking to alleviate back pain or enjoy a breezy sleep? Keep reading to learn more about our top picks for best soft mattress toppers.