updated July 2023
Puffy vs Tempur-Pedic Mattress Comparison
Need help deciding if the Puffy Cloud or Tempur-Pedic Tempur-Cloud mattress is right for you? Learn everything you need to know to make the right decision in our Puffy Cloud vs Tempur-Pedic mattress comparison.
Tempur-Pedic and Puffy are both known for selling stand-out memory foam mattresses—all of which provide a nice blend of support, pressure relief, and comfort. Tempur-Pedic was early to start using memory foam technology in mattresses and became known for giving its products a luxury foam feel. Puffy is a newer name in the business that builds its mattresses with a five-layer system designed to make you feel like you’re resting lightly on a cloud.
In this review, we’ll compare Puffy’s Cloud mattress against a similar option from Tempur-Pedic’s product range, the Tempur-Pedic Tempur-Cloud, so you can see which memory foam mattress is right for you.
Memory foam mattress that is great for side sleepers
Tempur-Pedic mattress that's great for couples
Memory foam mattress that is great for side sleepers
Tempur-Pedic mattress that's great for couples
- Good for side sleepers: Both Tempur-Pedic and Puffy mattresses tend to be great for side sleepers due to built-in pressure-relieving technology.
- Motion isolation: Both Tempur-Pedic and Puffy offer excellent motion cancellation, so couples won’t be disturbed by the tossing and turning of their sleep partners on the other side of either of these brand’s mattresses.
- Pressure relief: Both Puffy and Tempur-Pedic sell mattresses that keep the body properly aligned to ease aches and pains.
- Feel: Both Tempur-Pedic and the Puffy Cloud are known for exceptional memory foam comfort, but with an entirely different feel. Tempur-Pedic has a longtime reputation for the hug-like feel of its sleep products; Puffy’s mattresses are firm but designed to evoke the sensation of sleeping in a soft cloud.
- Price: Puffy’s mattresses are less expensive than Tempur-Pedic’s, so the brand is a good option for those looking to save some cash on their mattress purchase.
- Options: Puffy’s medium-firm mattresses are best suited to side and back sleepers; whereas Tempur-Pedic has a larger variety of mattress models to suit different types of sleepers, including the stomach-sleeping contingent.
- Warranty and trial: Puffy offers a lifetime warranty with its products, while Tempur-Pedic’s warranty is limited to 10 years. Puffy also gives you a 101-night sleep trial; Tempur-Pedic’s is 90 nights.
- Heat dispersion: Puffy builds its mattresses with a top layer of gel memory foam that promotes airflow and maintains a cooling temperature, scoring an 8/10 for cooling in our testing; whereas some Tempur-Pedic memory foam models can trap excess heat.
Puffy’s cloud mattress is a great option for side sleepers or combination sleepers, due to the bed’s five-layer stack of supportive foam, including a cradling layer that provides solid pressure relief. Those memory foam layers are also effective at isolating motion in the bed, so if you sleep with a partner or a pet you won’t be disrupted by their movements. Mattresses made solely from foam don’t tend to provide good support toward the outer reaches of the bed, but the Puffy Cloud succeeds at this better than most—in our testing, the mattress earned an 8.75 out of 10 for edge support.
While Puffy touts the soft, cloud-like feel of its mattresses, the original model is slightly firmer than average, scoring a 7 out of 10 on our firmness scale. It might not be the best option for heavier people (we recommend you seek an innerspring mattress with coils), but most others will find the support and pressure relief they need from this balanced-feeling bed.
Puffy also offers the Puffy Lux Hybrid, which adds a sixth layer of foam and brings a bit more luxury and softness with its higher price tag, and the Puffy Royal Hybrid, which has seven layers for an even more plush experience. Once ordered, a Puffy mattress will arrive at your house within two to five days, and comes with a 101-night trial period and lifetime limited warranty.
Tempur-Pedic makes its luxury memory foam mattresses to suit nearly every type of sleeper, with a product range that includes mattresses designed for back sleepers, hot sleepers, couples, seniors, and more. Because the Tempur-Cloud is most similar to the Puffy Cloud in price and packaging (both come compressed into a box), we’ll compare those two here. However, if you’re looking for a higher-end memory foam or hybrid mattress than the Tempur-Cloud, read our reviews of Tempur-Pedic’s other offerings.
The Tempur-Cloud mattress is Tempur-Pedic’s least expensive model and features the brand’s supportive foam design in two formats: Medium, or a combination of soft and firm foam layers, and Medium Hybrid, which also includes a layer of spring coils for more bounce and support around the edges of the bed. While Tempur-Pedic’s all-foam mattresses are known for their comfort and support, they can also have a “sinking” feeling that makes it harder to move around the bed; hybrid foam mattresses help to offset that sensation for those who want more of a traditional mattress feel. We focus on the Medium model in our review here.
Both Tempur-Cloud models provide excellent pressure relief, support, and responsiveness to help you get a good night of sleep. They’re also great for couples due to their high scores for motion cancelation, which means they do a good job of isolating each person’s movements to their side of the bed.
Both the Puffy Cloud mattress and Tempur-Cloud are 10 inches thick, but both brands offer thicker upgrade models for those looking for added softness and bed height. For example, the Puffy Lux Hybrid is 12 inches, and the Puffy Royal Hybrid is 14 inches.
Tempur-Pedic sells numerous higher-end models, such as the 11-inch Tempur-Adapt, the 12-inch Temper-ProAdapt and Tempur-Probreeze, and the 13-inch Tempur-LuxeAdapt and Tempur Luxebreeze.
|Twin||38” x 75”||38” x 74”|
|Twin XL||38” x 80”||38” x 80”|
|Full||54” x 75”||53” x 74”|
|Queen||60” x 80”||60” x 80”|
|King||76” x 80”||76” x 80”|
|Split King||38″ x 80″ (X2)||38″ x 80″ (X2)|
|Cal King||72” x 84”||72” x 84”|
Learn more about mattress sizes.
The Puffy Original and Tempur-Cloud are the entry-level models for each company. While both are supportive memory foam mattresses that come to your door in a box, Tempur-Pedic beds are more expensive and tend to have more of a luxury feel. Each Tempur-Cloud mattress tends to be about $400 more than each similar-sized Puffy mattress.
The Puffy Cloud is made up of five overall layers, with three core memory foam layers—a gel-infused foam layer to disperse heat and allow for air flow, a pressure-relieving foam layer designed to support your body, and a high-density foam layer for durability—sandwiched between a stain-resistant cover and grip base layer. The Tempur-Cloud Medium has a similar construction with four layers: A breathable cover layer; a soft, cushioned foam comfort layer; a firmer support layer to relieve pressure; and a base layer for durability.
While both mattresses have a multi-layered foam build, the biggest difference between the two is in the feel: The Tempur-Cloud has more of a traditional memory foam feel like many of Tempur-Pedic’s mattresses, which can give you the sensation of sinking into a supportive nest. While the Puffy Cloud touts its cumulus-like softness and comfort, the mattress feels more firm on top.
Inside the Puffy Cloud Mattress
The Puffy Cloud is made up of five layers—three of which do most of the heavy lifting at the core of the mattress. It measures as medium-firm on our firmness scale, making it a good choice for back sleepers and side sleepers, and not recommended for stomach sleepers. Here’s what’s inside the mattress:
- Stain-Resistant Cloud Cover: This hypoallergenic top protects the rest of the mattress from discoloration and spills.
- Cooling Cloud Foam: A two-inch layer of gel foam designed to disperse body heat.
- Climate Comfort Foam: A two-inch layer of foam that hugs your body and provides pressure-relieving support.
- Firm Core Support Foam: Six inches of dense foam designed to stabilize the mattress and add durability.
- Grip Base Cover: A layer that holds your mattress in place.
Inside the Tempur-Pedic Tempur-Cloud
The Tempur-Cloud comes in a Medium and Medium Hybrid model; the Medium is strictly made from memory foam, while the Hybrid model adds a layer of inner coil for better support at the edge of the mattress. The mattress falls at a medium on the firmness scale, which makes it less firm than the Puffy. Here’s what’s inside the mattress:
- 360 Stretch Cover: This outer cover wicks moisture and helps make the mattress more breathable.
- Comfort Layer: This layer provides pressure point relief and cushions the body to soothe those with aches and pains.
- Support Layer: The firmer, higher-density foam in this layer helps the mattress conform to your body shape to further relieve pressure.
- Base Layer: A thick slab of foam at the base of the mattress helps ensure it will stay supportive for years to come.
Compare the Scores
Let’s take a look at how each of these beds performed when we put them to our 14-point evaluation and testing process.
Learn more about how we test mattresses in our Review Process.
|Motion Transfer Test||9.25||9.75|
|Edge Support Test||8.75||7.5|
|Pressure Relief Test||8||9|
|Spinal Alignment Test||8.75||8.25|
|Customer Service Score||9||8|
|Social Impact Score||7||2|
We tested each of these beds to determine how well they isolated movement and limited motion transfer. The Puffy Cloud earned a 9.25/10, indicating that you’re unlikely to feel your partner’s movements in the night. The Tempur-Cloud earned a near-perfect 9.75/10, which makes it a similarly excellent choice for couples who share the bed.
Memory foam mattresses often lose resistance and support at the edges of the bed. However, in our tests the Puffy Cloud earned a high 8.75/10 for edge support, indicating that it stays firm and supportive around the edges of the bed. The Tempur-Cloud scored a 7.5/10 in this area, which is more in line with what we’d expect from a memory foam mattress, and suggests it sags a little more at the end and sides.
Responsiveness measures how a mattress reacts to your movements; a responsive bed is one that adjusts quickly to pressure and motion, which makes it easier to switch positions and gives the bed a bouncy or springy feel. We would expect memory foam to lag in this department, but both the mattresses performed well here—the Puffy Cloud earned a 9/10 for responsiveness, and the Tempur-Cloud earned an 8.25/10, which means that neither mattress will give you a trapped-in-quicksand feeling in the night.
Which Is the Better Mattress?
Both the Puffy Cloud and the Tempur-Cloud are good memory foam mattress options for side sleepers, restless sleepers, couples, and those looking for pressure relief for aches and pains. Both come to your house compressed into a box, with generous sleep trial periods so you can better assess whether the mattress works for you. However, there are a few key differences between the two: Budget shoppers and those who sleep hot might opt for the Puffy Cloud, while those looking for more customized firmness options—and those willing to spend more for a luxury feel—will likely be better served by Tempur-Pedic’s many options.
Best Memory Foam Mattress
See our expert reviews for the best memory foam mattresses on the market. Our top picks feature mattresses for back pain, side sleepers, hot sleepers, and more.
Tempur-Pedic Mattress Coupons
Now is your chance to snag special offers and free gifts on Tempur-Pedic mattresses and products. We tell you how to claim your discount with just a click.
Puffy Mattress Coupons
Looking for Puffy mattress coupons and promo codes? Save up to $300 on Puffy mattresses this season. Your new mattress is just a click away.