Purple Harmony Pillow Review
In this review, we’ll talk about the Purple Harmony Pillow’s construction, performance highlights, and pros and cons.
Feb 11th, 2022 •
You’ve probably heard of the Purple mattress (you can read our Purple Mattress reviews here). In a few short years, Purple has also produced a catalog of other sleep essentials, including bed sheets, seat cushions, and the Purple Harmony Pillow.
The Harmony is the wonder kid of more than 50 prototype combinations tested by Purple’s crazy comfort scientists. After one and a half years of research and development, Purple settled on the Harmony. They even call it “The Greatest Pillow Ever Invented.” It scores high for neck support and breathability, but is it really worth such a grandiose title? That’s what we’ll decide in this review.
If you were to cut the Purple Harmony Pillow in half, this is what you’d see:
- Moisture-Wicking Breeze Mesh Cover: Purple’s deluxe cover is made of 92% nylon fiber and 8% spandex fiber. Nylon is exceptionally breathable, and spandex adds flexibility. To get the full benefit of the Purple Grid Hex technology, the cover needs to be extra stretchy. That way, your head can fully sink into the pillow, rather than being suspended above the polymer material. The whole cover is finished with a cooling, moisture-wicking treatment.
- 360º Purple Grid Hex: The Harmony’s outer layer is composed of Purple’s proprietary Hyper-Elastic Polymer. This non-toxic material can stretch 15x beyond its original size. It’s also incredibly durable. Most Purple customers never complain about body impressions in their Purple products.
The grid is structured with connecting hexagon-shaped channels that can compress without compromising support. Purple calls this their No Pressure Support system. The Harmony pillow also features a new Grid Hex gel layer that was designed specifically to support the unique contours of your head and neck.
- Talalay Latex Core: Purple opted for Talalay latex at the center of the pillow because it balances softness with responsiveness. You won’t feel like you’re sinking too far in the pillow because the latex gently cushions your weight. Latex is also hypoallergenic and naturally cooler than most other pillow materials. Plus, Purple ventilates the latex core to improve airflow.
Read More: Best Latex Pillows
Our Favorite Things About the Purple Harmony Pillow
Here are my favorite features for the Purple Harmony Pillow:
- Pressure Relief: I mentioned Purple’s No Pressure® Support system earlier. It’s one of my favorite features of Purple’s products. As a side sleeper, I really need stress off of my shoulders. The combination of the polymer material and the latex core curves snugly around your shoulder and neck while letting your head rest without strain.
- Responsive: Purple’s Grid Hex compresses under weight and then springs back into shape if you move. You can see a video example of the pillow’s responsiveness on the Purple website. Unlike memory foam pillows, you don’t need to worry about losing loft or an even surface on the Purple Harmony.
- Cooling: Bed head is extra lame when you’re sweaty too. Purple’s breathable cover, grid system, and ventilated latex core keep warm air moving away while you sleep. The folks at Purple counted over 1500 open air channels on their Harmony pillow, which means warm air has 1500 paths through the bulk of the pillow.
In this next section, you’ll learn about the pricing, sleep trial, return policy, and warranty for the Purple Harmony pillow.
Sizes and Prices
Purple offers their Harmony pillow in 2 sizes: standard and king. Both have the option to choose a low, medium, or tall height. The standard size pillow costs $358 and the king-size pillow costs $398.
- Standard: This pillow size is 5.5” tall, 26” long, and 17” wide. It fits most standard size pillowcases. This size is best for back sleepers and side sleepers with small-to-average body types.
- King: The taller size is preferred primarily by side sleepers who have wider shoulders. It’s also the better choice for sleepers who favor loftier pillows. This version is 5.5” tall, 34” long, and 17” wide.
Shipping and Returns
Purple’s pillows are shipped for free in the contiguous states. As with most bedding companies, if you live in Alaska, Hawaii, or Canada you’ll have to pay an extra shipping charge.
Purple asks that you sleep on their pillow for a minimum of 30 nights before initiating a return. That’s the amount of time your body needs to adjust to a new sleeping surface. If you still don’t like the feel or sleep experience of the Harmony pillow after a month, reach out to the customer care team. They can give you recommendations for how to improve your experience or issue a return.
Your used pillow has to be clean and free from damage. If the condition is such that you wouldn’t give it to a loved one, it’s probably not eligible for a return. You can start the return process for non-mattress products by calling 888-848-2305 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Also, if you bought your Purple pillow through Amazon or another authorized retailer, it will be subject to their specific return policy.
Trial and Warranty
Purple gives you a 100-night sleep trial when you buy any of their pillows.
After the trial period ends, your pillow is covered by a 1-year warranty. If you’re using and cleaning your pillow as Purple recommends, it will be eligible for repair or replacement if it develops cracks or splits. If you’re unsure whether or not a particular defect is covered, Purple’s customer care team is happy to help.
As with all bedding warranties, you have to be the original owner of the pillow for the warranty to apply. You also have to purchase your pillow directly from Purple or one of their authorized retailers. Make sure you hold on to your original receipt of purchase since you’ll need that to file a claim.
Lastly, Purple asks you to handle shipping costs for warranty replacements. Also, your 1-year warranty doesn’t restart if you get a replacement pillow.
- “This is by far the most expensive pillow I have ever bought, but it is also the BEST pillow I have ever slept on. This thing is the perfect blend of soft and support. It stays cool, so I don’t need to flip over to the cool side later. I am going to need another one because my wife and kids keep trying to steal it.” – Scott K.
- “The level of support was perfect for my 6′ 2′,’ 170 lbs frame, and as a side and back sleeper, this offered the perfect amount of support. The biggest difference is the bounce back. With Purple, the pillow reacts instantly and never leaves you with lumps or bumps. All around the best pillow of my life.” – Luke M.
- “It provides support and luxurious comfort all at once. Before, I had up to four pillows on my bed at a time. Now I just use this one pillow. This is definitely the greatest pillow I have ever been fortunate enough to use.” – Brian S.
Pros and Cons
|Various Options: Offered in 3 loft levels and 2 sizes that appeal to a wide range of sleeping styles.||Unique: The Purple Grid has a unique feel that may not appeal to some sleepers|
|Responsive: Highly responsive to changes in position and holds its shape through the night||Not for Stomach Sleepers: The loft is a bit high for stomach sleepers|
|Cool: The combo of the Purple Grid Hex and ventilated latex core is very breathable||Cost: The Purple Harmony is more expensive than other pillows on the market|
How do I clean my Purple Harmony Pillow?
The pillow cover is machine washable, and Purple recommends that you wash it in cold water. To dry, lay it flat until it’s completely dry to the touch. The pillow core, including the Purple grid and latex core, are spot clean only.
I’m allergic to latex. Will this pillow trigger my latex allergy?
Probably not, but definitely consult your doctor before buying and using the Purple Harmony Pillow. Purple uses hypoallergenic Talalay latex foam in their pillow, rather than natural rubber latex. Latex allergies are triggered by the proteins in natural rubber, but Talalay latex is washed 5 times and flash-heated, which breaks down most of the proteins. Plus, Talalay latex naturally repels allergens like dust mites.
How long will my Purple Harmony Pillow last?
Purple suggests on their website that their high-density Hyper-Elastic Polymer pillows are more durable than traditional pillows. A quick look through pillow reviews, and most customers seem to agree. They only provide a one-year warranty, but also call the Purple Pillow the “forever pillow.”
Is Purple Harmony the only pillow sold by Purple?
Nope! The Purple Pillow Original is also constructed with the ergonomic Purple Grid. This pillow is flatter and heavier than the Harmony, and provides great neck support for back sleepers. The Purple Plush Pillow is filled with fluffy poly fiber balls, rather than the Purple Grid. It feels more like a traditional pillow than the other two. You can also adjust the firmness using a zipper on the side. It’s a great option for stomach sleepers.
The Purple Harmony Pillow really is one of the most unique pillows we’ve ever reviewed. It provides a lot of support and comfort, but it may not be for every body type or sleeping position. Here’s who will likely love the Purple Harmony:
- Hot sleepers: A breathable, moisture-wicking cover, 1500 polymer channels, and a ventilated latex core all amount to a delightfully cooling pillow. If you sleep hot, the Purple Harmony will keep your sweet dreams coming.
- Side sleepers: If you sleep on your side, you need a pillow with higher loft. Both the regular and tall Harmony sizes surpass 6” in height. With your head and neck so supported, you’ll avoid shoulder and neck pain. Back sleepers will also get sufficient support on the regular size Purple Harmony.
- One-and-done shoppers: The warranty may be short, but Purple calls this the “forever pillow.” Their Hyper-Elastic Polymer grid is designed to never break down. That’s how the Purple Harmony still feels like a new pillow after years of use.
On the other hand, here’s who may not like the Purple Harmony Pillow:
- Stomach sleepers: If you sleep on your stomach, you need a pillow with a lower loft. Since 5” is the maximum height I would recommend for stomach sleepers, and both of the Harmony sizes surpass 6” I would steer clear of this pillow if this is your primary sleep position. Spare yourself the headache and try either the original Purple Pillow or the Purple Plush.
- Down pillow lovers: The Purple Harmony feels absolutely nothing like down feathers. If you’re used to the feel of down, this pillow will take some serious adjustment. I’m not saying it isn’t worth a try but be prepared for a feel closer to latex or gel.
- Budget shoppers: This is one of the pricier pillows we’ve reviewed. It also doesn’t have a long warranty period. If you have to stick to a tight budget, the Plush pillow by Purple is a better choice. If you really want the Purple Harmony, you can finance your purchase or take advantage of one of their seasonal discounts.
The bottom line: The Purple Harmony is a latex pillow that provides superior neck support for side and back sleepers. It’s also a great choice for hot sleepers who want a cooling pillow.
Mattress Accessories & Bedding
Best Cooling Pillows
Learn how cooling pillows, designed to refresh and release heat, can improve your sleeping experience.
Purple Mattress Coupons
Get over $300 worth of bedding accessories with your Purple mattress purchase. It’s time to save using our Mattress Advisor Purple mattress coupons.
Purple Simply Seat Cushion Review
Looking for some extra cushion as you sit down all day? Read our Purple Simply Seat Cushion review and see how it measures up against the competition.