Purple Sheets Review
We had the chance to review Purple’s sheets, and they did not disappoint. Here are our thoughts on their construction, feel, and pros/cons.
Oct 20th, 2021 •
Purple makes great mattresses, but does that equate to comfy sheets too? That’s what we set out to learn when we chose to review the Purple Sheet Set. We picked the original Purple bed sheets for this review, although you can also shop the Purple SoftStretch Sheets and Kids Sheet collection.
So what did we think, and are they worth the cost? That’s what we’ll dive into next. Specifically, we’ll share our thoughts on the feel of the sheets, standout features, pros/cons, and of course, our verdict.
What Makes Up the Purple Sheets?
Purple’s sheets are made mostly from bamboo-viscose. Plant-based sheets may seem like a bizarre choice—after all, aren’t bamboo trees for decoration? Yep, but they are much more versatile than a window plant.
For starters, bamboo-derived fabrics are extra soft and silky, and Purple sheets are no exception. Their feel is similar to your favorite jersey t-shirt—instantly cozy with no wear-in period. Bamboo sheets are also naturally moisture-wicking, which reduces odor build-up. Plus, bamboo is an eco-friendly resource, since the trees grow really fast without chemical fertilizers.
In addition to bamboo fibers, Purple adds spandex to the mix. In order to flex with the Purple mattress Smart Grid, the sheets need to be stretchy. Purple sheets can stretch 4-ways without tearing, although they are pretty thin, so make sure the sheets are covered if you have, for example, a cat that likes to pounce plush bedding.
A quick word on thread count: Purple doesn’t bother with listing the thread count of their sheets because they consider the number to be bogus for describing comfort. A higher thread count indicates a tighter weave, which can make for hot, stiff sheets. Instead, Purple emphasizes that their sheets are soft, breathable, and functional, as evidenced by thousands of happy customer reviews.
Read More: Best Sheets for Your Purple Mattress
Our Favorite Things
Here is what we love the most about Purple sheets:
- Intentional Design: Unlike regular sheets, Purple sheets specifically compliment the Purple mattress, and enhance the comfort of any mattress. Flexible sheets allow you to experience the full range of support offered by your sleeping surface. Sheets that are too tight keep you suspended above the mattress instead of allowing you to snuggle into the comfort layers.
- Cooling: Breathable sheets are especially important in summer, but also in any season if you tend to sweat at night. Bamboo viscose is used for its breathability and ability to wick away moisture. Purple even says that their sheets are around 83% more breathable than competitor Egyptian cotton sheets.
- Hassle-Free: We almost chose “silky soft” for our last highlight, but couldn’t resist mentioning how much we love the functionality of these sheets. The fitted sheet is seamless with industrial elastic that stays put, even through frequent jostling. It fits comfortably around mattresses up to 16” tall. Plus, the stretchy knit lays flat and stays wrinkle-free.
Best For/Not Best For
Purple Sheets are a good fit for
- Purple customers who want to amplify the pressure relieving effects of their Purple mattress (you can learn more about the Purple, Purple Hybrid, and Purple Hybrid Premier mattresses from our mattress reviews)
- Hot sleepers who need lightweight sheets that are breathable and moisture-wicking
- Those who love the cozy feel of jersey knit
- Those who want low maintenance, wrinkle resistant sheets
You may want to pass on Purple sheets if
- You’ve got a small budget for bed sheets
- You prefer the heftier feel of linen or flannel
- You are concerned about sheets that pill easily (a handful of customers noticed premature pilling on their Purple sheets, and were able to claim a warranty replacement set)
Sizes and Prices
Purple offers their basic sheet set in 4 sizes. Each set comes with a fitted sheet, flat sheet, and 1-2 pillow cases. The pricing is average for higher quality sheets, and Purple even gives you the option to finance your purchase through Affirm or Split.
|Twin/Twin XL size||$79||(1) Fitted Sheet, (1) Flat Sheet, (1) Pillowcase|
|Full size||$89||(1) Fitted Sheet, (1) Flat Sheet, (2) Standard Pillowcases|
|Queen size||$99||(1) Fitted Sheet, (1) Flat Sheet, (2) Standard Pillowcases|
|King/Cal King size||$119||(1) Fitted Sheet, (1) Flat Sheet, (2) King Pillowcases|
|Split King||$139||(2) Fitted Sheets, (1) Flat Sheet, (2) King Pillowcases|
Shipping and Returns
Customers in the lower 48 states get free shipping, but sheet set deliveries to Alaska, Hawaii, and Canada incur a small charge. Purple told us that they prorate their shipping fees outside the contiguous US, which helps to keep your costs down.
You can return your sheets during the trial period if you bought them directly from Purple. Sheet sets bought through Amazon aren’t eligible for returns.
Trial and Warranty
Purple gives you 30 nights beginning on your delivery date to test out their sheets. Their return policy states that you can get a full refund (minus return shipping) within the first 30 days, as long as the sheets are totally clean and undamaged. Call 888-848-2305 or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you want to start the return process.
Purple customers who keep the sheet set are protected by a 1-year limited warranty. Covered defects include sheets that develop holes, unraveled seams, or excessive pilling after normal use. In those cases, Purple will either replace the damaged item or ship you a whole new sheet set for just the cost of shipping. Sheets bought on Amazon are also covered by the warranty. Call 888-848-8456 to file a claim.
Pros and Cons
|Deep Pockets: These sheets can fit on mattresses up to 16” tall||Price: Not affordable for those on a tight budget|
|Stretch: Stretchiness that is ideal for the Purple Grid and maximizes comfort on any mattress||Pilling: Some customers noticed premature tearing or pilling on their sheets (covered by warranty)|
|Cooling: Breathable bamboo fibers that keep you cool and dry||Care: Lightweight and absorbent, so may require more frequent laundering|
What colors are available?
Purple sheets are sold in white, sand, slate, and—of course—purple.
What are the care instructions for my Purple Sheets?
Machine wash the sheets in cold water with similar colors and dry them on low heat (or no heat). Purple actually recommends that you hang dry their sheets, if you are able. Don’t use an iron or bleach on the sheets; instead, use a baking soda and dish soap paste on the stain before washing. You shouldn’t need to iron them. Purple suggests washing their sheets once a week.
Can I buy a fitted sheet or top sheet separately?
Not right now. Purple may sell individual sheet set components in the future, but that’s not something they currently offer.
Where are Purple sheets made?
Purple manufactures and ships all of their sleep products in the USA, but their sheet material source is in China. Purple’s headquarters are located in Utah.
Purple sheets are worth the extra cost if you own a Purple mattress or are looking for sheets that are soft, flexible, and breathable. You could opt for cheaper jersey knit sheets off the shelf, but they likely wouldn’t be covered by a 1 year warranty or have the same level of stretch and breathability as Purple sheets do. Our opinion? Go for it.
Purple Mattress Coupons
Get over $300 worth of bedding accessories with your Purple mattress purchase. It’s time to save using our Mattress Advisor Purple mattress coupons.
Mattress Accessories & Bedding
Purple Harmony Pillow Review
The Purple Harmony Pillow pairs their signature Purple Grid with a latex core. It's soft, supportive, and overall one of the most unique pillows we've reviewed.
Mattress Accessories & Bedding
Best Sheets for Your Purple Mattress
Sheets for your Purple Mattress need to be an extension of the bed. Take a look at our suggestions for the best sheets for your Purple Mattress.