Purple vs Tempur-Pedic Mattress Comparison
In this mattress comparison, you’ll see how each of the Purple mattresses compares to the most popular Temper-Pedic mattress models when it comes to benefits, construction, and price.
Jun 23rd, 2021 •
Tempur-Pedic and Purple are trailblazers in the mattress industry. Tempur-Pedic crafted the first memory foam mattress nearly 30 years ago, and their proprietary foam has a feel unlike that of other all-foam beds. Purple engineered the Smart Grid, a material that boasts the pressure relief of memory foam without the close hugging feel.
In this comparison, we’re going to compare each Purple mattress with one of the most popular Tempur-Pedic mattress models. By the end, you’ll know which luxury mattress brand manufactures the mattress you’ve been searching for.
Purple vs Tempur-Pedic Overview
Back and side sleepers
People with back pain
All body sizes
Memory foam aficionados
All sleeping positions
|Smart Comfort Grid
Incredible spine alignment
Deep contouring feel
Outstanding pressure relief
- Tempur-Pedic and Purple are both companies whose mattresses have a distinct feel unlike that of any other mattresses.
- Purple and Tempur-Pedic mattresses each have pressure-relieving technology that’s great for side sleepers of every body size.
- Purple and Tempur-Pedic both craft luxury mattresses with higher-than-average price points.
- Both brands’ beds do a good job keeping the body properly aligned, easing aches and pains.
- Tempur-Pedic mattresses have the traditional hugging memory foam mattress feel, while Purple beds have a unique floating feeling thanks to the Purple Grid.
- Purple mattresses are best for side and back sleepers, while Tempur-Pedic crafts mattresses that work for all sleep positions.
- All Purple mattresses are cool thanks to the breathability of the grid-like comfort layer. With the exception of the Breeze Tempur-Pedic models, Tempur mattresses tend to sleep hotter than the average bed.
- Tempur-Pedic is better for couples thanks to superior motion isolation properties. The materials in the Purple mattresses don’t do as good of a job at isolating movement.
Purple vs Tempur-Adapt
Purple Mattress Review Highlights
- Spine Alignment: The Original Purple mattress earned a nearly perfect 9.5/10 for spinal alignment. The Purple Grid delivers targeted support and cushion, supporting neutral spine alignment. A healthy spine means less back pain and body aches.
- Pressure Relief: The Purple Grid comfort layer collapses where sufficient weight is applied, dissolving pressure from pressure points like the hips and shoulders.
- Cooling: Purple’s Comfort Grid is temperature-neutral. It doesn’t store excess body heat, and the spaces between the polymer material allows for ample airflow. That’s why the Purple bed is great for hot sleepers.
- “Just Right” Feel: The flagship Purple is a medium-firm mattress, the ideal firmness level for the average sleeper.
Tempur-Adapt Mattress Review Highlights
- Tempur-ES Material: The Adapt mattress is made using Tempur’s revolutionary Tempur-ES foam. This soft foam top layer achieves close contouring for a cozy feel.
- Least Expensive: The Tempur-Adapt is the least expensive Tempur-Pedic mattress with their original ES foam. It’s this memory foam that has the deep hugging feel and close contouring that Tempur-Pedic beds are known for.
- All-Foam and Hybrid Mattress: The Tempur-Adapt comes in an all-foam or hybrid option. The all-foam is ideal for those looking for the traditional memory foam feel, while the hybrid bed adds a bit more support and ease-of-movement. This is great for heavier people and those who toss-and-turn.
Compare Mattress Construction
The Original Purple mattress is a medium-firm mattress, or a 6.5/10 on the firmness scale. It’s the most affordable mattress with Purple’s revolutionary hyper-elastic polymer material called the Purple Grid or Smart Comfort Grid. This gel grid closely contours the body without the same sinking feeling as memory foam, but rather a floating, weightless feel.
The Purple mattress excels at balancing pressure relief and spinal support, perfect for sleepers with aches and pains. The way that the grid system works is best for side and back sleepers. Another perk to this material is that it’s naturally cooler than all-foam beds.
The Tempur-Adapt mattress has a medium firmness level and a distinct memory foam feel. It deeply cradles the body for outstanding cushion at problem areas. Thanks to generous foam layers, the Adapt is better than the Purple at limiting motion transfer.
You can opt for an all-foam option that uses high-density support foam, or a hybrid model with an innerspring support layer. The all-foam option is best for those looking for a memory foam mattress feel, while the hybrid model is more supportive, cooler, and easier to move around on.
The Purple and Tempur-Adapt are the entry-level models for each company. While both are luxury mattresses, Tempur-Pedic beds are far more expensive. The queen-size Adapt costs over $1,000 more than the Purple.
Purple Hybrid vs Tempur-ProAdapt
Purple Hybrid Review Highlights
- Innerspring Support: The Purple Hybrid mattress is much like the flagship Purple mattress, but it has a pocketed coil base layer instead of a polyfoam one. The resulting feel is supportive enough for heavier sleepers.
- Cooling: The Purple Hybrid is an exceptionally cool hybrid bed. This bed is made using breathable materials, including the Purple Grid and pocketed coils. Hot sleepers will find relief on the Purple Hybrid.
- Pain Relief: The combination of the Purple Grid and individually encased coils delivers support and cushion where you need them. The balanced feel relieves pain along the spine, neck, hips, and shoulders.
- Edge Support: The Purple Hybrid has sturdy, comfortable edges. You won’t feel as if you’re going to roll off when you lie along the edge.
Tempur-ProAdapt Mattress Review Highlights
- Tempur-APR Foam: Tempur-APR is their most pressure-relieving memory foam. For elderly folks or anyone who needs extra cushion, the ProAdapt is a good fit.
- Firmness Options: This mattress comes in 4 firmness options: soft, medium, medium hybrid, and firm. The variety means a mattress that works for every sleeping position.
- Most Popular Mattress: The Tempur-ProAdapt is their most popular mattress. Its opulent feel, outstanding pressure relief, and 4 options appeal to many luxury mattress shoppers.
Compare Mattress Construction
The Purple Hybrid is a 3-layer medium-firm mattress. Its 2” Smart Comfort Grid layer flexes with your body and offers dynamic support. A thin foam transition layer separates the Purple Grid from the supportive innerspring coils. The feel is one of responsive support with good pressure relief.
The Tempur-ProAdapt is a 4-layer memory foam mattress. It comes in 4 firmness options: soft, medium, medium hybrid, and firm. Every one of these beds offers unmatched pressure relief, great for anyone with hip or shoulder pain.
Because the ProAdapt comes in more firmness levels than the Purple Hybrid, the ProAdapt is better for a wider range of sleepers. The soft, medium, and medium hybrid are all softer than the Purple Hybrid, perfect for lightweight sleepers and side sleepers. The ProAdapt firm is about the same firmness as the Purple Hybrid, with the Purple more responsive and the ProAdapt better for stomach sleepers.
Another difference between these mattresses is how well they suit couples. The ProAdapt is superior for most couples. Its generous memory foam layers nearly eliminate motion transfer, so you can sleep soundly through your partner’s movement. However, if you want a responsive mattress for adult activities, make sure to opt for the ProAdapt medium hybrid.
The Tempur-ProAdapt is nearly twice the cost of the Purple Hybrid.
Purple Hybrid Premier vs Tempur-ProBreeze
Purple Hybrid Premier Mattress Review Highlights
- Spine Alignment: The Purple Hybrid Premier earned a 9.5/10 in our spine alignment test. Back and side sleepers, in particular, can enjoy nearly perfect body alignment and the pain relief that comes with it.
- Generous Cushion: What sets the Premier apart from Purple’s other beds is a thicker layer of the Smart Comfort Grid. It’s this extra cushion that makes the Premier work well for heavy sleepers and side sleepers who need a plush surface.
- Cooling: Just like the other Purple Hybrid mattress, the Premier supports a cool night’s sleep. With 3-4” of the breathable Purple Grid and a thick layer of airy innerspring coils, the Premier is great for hot sleepers.
- Firmness Options: You can choose from a 3” or 4” Smart Comfort Grid. The thicker the grid, the softer the mattress.
Tempur-ProBreeze Mattress Review Highlights
- Cooling Technology: Many people avoid memory foam mattresses because they sleep hot. Thanks to innovative cooling technology, the ProBreeze sleeps 3° cooler than Tempur-Pedic’s other beds.
- Original Tempur Feel: The comfort layer is made from Tempur’s original pressure-relieving material. If you’ve enjoyed the feel of Tempur-Pedic mattresses for many years, the ProBreeze has the cradling comfort you’re familiar with.
- Firmness Options: The ProBreeze comes in 2 models: medium and medium hybrid. This is the feel that most memory foam lovers prefer as it marries pressure relief and support.
Compare Mattress Construction
The Purple Hybrid Premier is the softest Purple mattress. You can opt for either a 3” or 4” Comfort Grid, compared to the 2” grid found in Purple’s other mattresses. This thicker top layer creates a softer mattress with superior cushion. Heavy people tend to prefer the Premier mattress, as well as most side sleepers. The 3” creates a medium feel and the 4” a soft one.
The Tempur-ProAdapt has a similar medium to medium-soft firmness level, but the feel is quite different. Rather than the floating sensation of the Purple, the ProAdapt has the classic memory foam feel. This mattress deeply hugs the body, delivering even better pressure relief than the Purple Hybrid Premier.
With the ProAdapt, you may opt for an all-foam or hybrid mattress. The hybrid mattress has a similar responsive feel as the Purple Hybrid Premier. The ProAdapt all-foam option is best for sleepers who love the sinking feeling of memory foam.
Both beds are cooler than the average mattress. The ProAdapt is better at isolating motion thanks to generous memory foam layers.
The ProBreeze and Hybrid Premier are luxury mattresses, and their price tags reflect this. While neither bed is right for budget shoppers, the Purple mattress does save you $1,000 for the queen-size bed.
|Purple Hybrid Premier||Tempur-ProBreeze|
Compare Purple vs Tempur-Pedic Sizes
Purple and Tempur-Pedic mattresses come in similar sizes.
|38” x 75”||
38” x 74”
|38” x 80”||
38” x 80”
|54” x 76”||
53” x 74”
|60” x 80”||
60” x 80”
|76” x 80”||
76” x 80”
|72” x 84”||
72” x 84”
|76” x 80”||
76” x 80”
Learn more about mattress sizes.
Both mattress companies offer a sleep trial, but Purple’s is more generous. The Purple trial period is a 100-night sleep trial with free returns. The Tempur-Pedic trial is 90 nights with a $175 fee for returns, so there is a small financial risk when you try a Tempur-Pedic mattress.
Related: Purple Mattress Return Policy
Purple and Tempur-Pedic both manufacture high-quality mattresses with proprietary technology. The Purple beds have a floating feel and excellent spine alignment thanks to the Purple Comfort Grid. Tempur-Pedic mattresses deliver unparalleled pressure relief and a traditional cradling memory foam feel.
Both companies carry mattresses great for every body size. While both work well for side and back sleepers, stomach sleepers tend to have better body alignment on the firm Tempur-Pedic models. And when it comes to cost, Purple mattresses are around half the cost of their Tempur-Pedic counterparts.
Other Purple and Tempur Comparisons
Tempur-Pedic Mattress Reviews
The Tempur-Pedic mattress brand is synonymous with luxury memory foam mattresses that offer years of great sleep. Comb through our reviews and see which is right for you.
Compare Purple Mattress Models and Prices
Learn more about the Purple mattresses and see our reviews for each model. See which is best for you based on lifestyle, sleeping style, and more.