The Saatva Pillow Review
Considering the Saatva Latex Pillow? In this review you’ll learn what’s inside, who it best suits, and details on pricing, sizes, and the return policy.
Aug 5th, 2022 •
Saatva’s tri-layer pillow is designed to work for back, side, and stomach sleepers alike. It features a sateen organic cotton cover, a feather-like microdenier fiber outer pillow, and a responsive Talalay latex core. Saatva uses primarily eco-friendly materials in their bedding and manufactures all of their products in the USA.
Is it one of the best pillows of the year? Continue reading for coverage of the 3 pillow layers, the high-quality materials used, prices, shipping, and the sleep trial.
|✔️Customer Rating: 4.8/5|
|✔️Mattress Advisor Score: 8.9/10|
|✔️Free Shipping & Returns|
|✔️45–Night Sleep Trial|
|✔️1-Year Limited Warranty|
Save Up to $400
Overview: The Saatva Latex Pillow uses a shredded 100% natural latex core to create a restorative sleep experience. It’s also hypoallergenic and resistant to dust mites and mildew. On top of that, this pillow comes with a removable cotton cover, making clean up a breeze.
Who Is the Saatva Latex Pillow Best for?
|Saatva Latex Pillow is best for:||Saatva Latex Pillow may not be best for:|
Mattress Advisor Score for the Saatva Latex Pillow
When reviewing pillows, we rate each factor on a scale of 1-10, with 10 being “exceeds expectations” and 1 being “has significant room for improvement.” To reach our final score, we calculate a weighted average from all 5 categories. Read more about our review process here.
|Mattress Advisor Test||Score (Out of 10)|
⭐Total Score for the Saatva Latex Pillow: 8.9/10⭐
Saatva Latex Pillow Performance Highlights
- Hypoallergenic: The Saatva Latex Pillow is completely hypoallergenic and dust mite and mildew resistant so you can sleep on a clean surface every night.
- Materials: Made of high-quality organic and natural materials, this pillow is just as luxurious as a hotel pillow, if not better.
- Pressure Relief: Many customers praise how this pillow does a great job of relieving pressure in common areas, such as their back.
- Responsiveness: The Saatva Latex Pillow is very bouncy, making it easy to move your head around on it.
- Height: The Saatva Latex Pillow’s height may be too lofty for side and stomach sleepers. Those with petite body types may also find it’s too high for them but the pillow is easily adjustable thanks to its inner pillow design.
- Price: As a luxury product, the Saatva Latex Pillow comes at a higher price point than some other pillows on the market, but since Saatva has regular sales, you may be able to get it at a discount.
What Is It Made of?
The Saatva has a unique pillow-on-pillow construction. A supportive latex core zips inside a plush outer layer. An organic cotton cover holds it all together. We break down each layer below.
Organic Cotton Cover
Saatva’s pillowcase is woven with the same 300 thread count cotton as their sheets. The cotton is long-staple, which is considered the highest quality of cotton and has a smooth sateen finish. Saatva considers 300 to be the ideal thread count for breathability and comfort. Thread counts higher than 300 tend to sleep a bit hotter. Cotton is also excellent at wicking moisture, which is great for clean hair and skin.
The outer cover features gusseted sides, which form an elevating wall along the seam. Gussets not only look nice, but they help to maintain the pillow’s shape, even as you change positions during the night.
The machine-washable outer pillow is stuffed with plush microdenier fiber. These extra-fine fibers are an excellent down alternative, keeping costs low and eliminating the need for animal products. Additionally, this layer is hypoallergenic, unlike natural down. It adds extra fluff that cushions your head and provides pressure relief.
Beneath the outer layer is an inner core of latex foam. This core is made of American Talalay latex and provides ample neck support. It’s also hypoallergenic, meaning it’s dust-mite resistant, mildew proof, and safe for those with latex allergies. Saatva washes its latex five times to eliminate allergy-triggering latex proteins. The latex is sourced from renewable forests, so you will feel cool, comfortable, and environmentally friendly with this pillow.
About the Materials
Saatva uses luxuriously high-quality materials in their pillow. We’ll go over the benefits of each material.
Cotton is one of the most popular natural fibers used for bedding and clothing. All of the cotton used in Saatva’s pillow is 100% organic, meaning that it was grown on farms that don’t use toxic pesticides. Plus, it’s a renewable resource!
Consumers prefer cotton because it’s machine washable, tumble-dry safe, gets softer the more it’s washed, and is more breathable than synthetic fibers. In addition to being comfy and low maintenance, it also sleeps cool and wicks moisture, so you stay dry.
Unlike some natural fibers, such as wool, cotton is hypoallergenic and soft. Saatva uses an extra smooth sateen weave on their pillow cover for added comfort. Cotton is a more affordable textile, although higher quality comes with higher cost.
Fiber thickness is measured in deniers. For reference, a human hair is 20 deniers. The thinner the fibers used in a synthetic material, the silkier they feel. Microfibers are incredibly thin, measuring less than 1 denier.
They are lightweight and airy, which is why they work well as a down alternative. They are also durable, so they can withstand machine washing and drying. Like cotton, they are moisture-wicking.
Talalay latex starts as a liquid and undergoes a steam heating process that forms bubbles. Partway through the heating, the latex is flash-frozen so the air bubbles stay in place. This gives Talalay latex its cushiness. It is free of chemicals and harmful gasses. All-natural latex processing has to abide by low-emission guidelines for textiles.
The latex core in Saatva’s pillow is shredded, so it’s easily moldable and resists clumping. Latex already keeps you cooler than memory foam by drawing heat away from your body; shredding the latex improves airflow and breathability.
What Makes the Saatva Latex Pillow Special?
- Sleeps Cool: All 3 layers feature cooling characteristics: cotton is breathable and moisture-wicking, microfiber promotes airflow, and latex is naturally temperature regulating.
- Hypoallergenic: Not only is the microdenier fiber in Saatva’s pillow resistant to mildew and dust mites, the latex is washed with fresh water in order to rid it of the latex proteins that cause allergic reactions.
- Adjustable: The latex core can be removed through a zipper on the side of the cotton cover. If you find that the pillow is too firm or elevated, removing the core leaves just the plush outer pillow, which can be flattened to suit stomach sleepers. Back sleepers and side sleepers will appreciate the extra loft when both layers are present.
Related: Best Adjustable Pillows
In addition to high-quality materials, Saatva offers a competitive return policy and warranty for their namesake pillow. Keep reading for summaries of their shipping, return policy, warranty, and real customer reviews.
Saatva Latex Pillow Sizes, Dimensions, and Prices
Saatva offers their Latex Pillow in a queen and king size. When purchasing a Saatva Latex Pillow online, you can choose to add a Sateen Pillowcase Pair for an additional $45-$55.
|Pillow Size||Size Dimensions||Price*|
|Queen||28” x 18”||$165|
|King||34” x 18”||$185|
*Prices do not reflect exclusive offers or Saatva discounts. Click below to see the best price for the Saatva Latex Pillow.
Shipping and Returns
Saatva provides free shipping to those residing in the contiguous US. If you live in Hawaii or Alaska, Saatva will work with you to ship your item via freight forwarder in California or Seattle. For help, call 877-672-2882. Smaller items can be delivered to P.O. boxes, but they don’t currently ship to APO addresses. If you have questions about shipping to P.O. boxes or military addresses, call 877-394-1075.
Bedding items have a satisfaction guarantee of 45 days. If you decide the Saatva Latex Pillow isn’t right for you within that time frame, you can initiate a return and get a full refund. They don’t charge any restocking fees, but do request that you wash any used bedding before sending it back.
To request a return, call 877-394-1075. There isn’t an exchange policy for bedding, so if you’re unhappy with your pillow, make sure to return it within 45 days and order the item you would like instead. Saatva also sells memory foam and down alternative pillows.
Trial and Warranty
As already mentioned, Saatva offers a 45-day return policy rather than a trial period for their bedding. This gives you over a month to get acclimated to your new pillow and decide if it meets your needs.
Saatva’s pillows are protected by a 1-year limited warranty that covers workmanship defects. If your pillow is defective, they will repair or replace it. If you receive a replacement pillow, your warranty does not reset. Stains, discoloration, and product abuse void the warranty.
- “I’ve had my Saatva Pillow (Queen) for about a month now and to say the least, my experience has been nothing but amazing! I am a VERY active individual and I’ve struggled with neck pain in the past but after my first night on this pillow, I knew I’ve found the perfect fit. Offering both the support and comfort to allow my body to appropriately rest and recover. I recommend this pillow to everyone who is looking for a GREAT night’s sleep.” -Ken P.
- “I have issues from past injuries with my neck, and the Saatva pillow is the first pillow that has ever supported my neck neutrally with just enough firm support but with breathing room, like a cloud of comfort. It doesn’t suffocate your skin like memory foam does. Thank you Saatva for the attention to quality. Delivery and customer communication was professional and timely. I plan to buy Saatva pillows as gifts.” -Katrina S.
- “I’ve searched and searched for the perfect pillow, and I have finally found it! They have achieved the perfect balance between fluffy and supportive…If I had the time, I would nap every day. I was uncertain about what to purchase so I called their customer service line which is the best I’ve dealt with in a long time. They are knowledgeable and extremely helpful. My order also arrived in no time. I can’t recommend them enough. Saatva all the way!” -Crystal F.
Other Products Sold by Saatva
- Loom & Leaf
- Saatva Classic
- Saatva HD
- Saatva Latex Hybrid
- Saatva Modern Foam
- Saatva Youth
Can I safely use the Saatva pillow if I have a latex allergy?
Absolutely! Saatva uses 100% natural Talalay latex in their pillow. It becomes hypoallergenic after rigorous washing with fresh water that removes the allergenic latex proteins.
How do I clean my Saatva pillow?
The latex core is not machine washable, but soiling can be cleaned with mild soap and warm water. Access the inner pillow by unzipping the cover. Once you’ve removed the core, the outer pillow and cotton cover are machine washable. Saatva advises washing their pillow at least 2 times a year.
How long will my pillow last?
Latex pillows can remain effective up to 10 years, if properly cared for. Saatva recommends replacing your pillow every 3 years. Even with regular washing, more than 3 years of use can lead to unsanitary buildup of dirt, oils, and dead skin cells. Latex also loses buoyancy as it ages, so it won’t provide the same quality of support.
Does Saatva offer financing?
Yes, Saatva offers financing through Affirm. At checkout, you are able to select one of two payment plans. Credit approval is really quick, so you don’t need to wait long to place your order. You can choose between paying for your pillow over 6, 12, or 18 months for as low as $9.17 a month.
If you are on the lookout for a luxury pillow, the Saatva is bound to impress. It stays cool on both sides, making it a refreshing choice for hot sleepers; it pairs the fluffiness of down alternative with the supportive contouring of latex, and it can be adjusted to your sleeping position by removing or adding the inner latex foam core.
Plus, you get 45 days to make sure your pillow is worth the luxury cost. If not, you get a full refund, and after 45 days, your pillow is covered by a warranty for a full year. You can also purchase bedding bundles that include Saatva’s pillows and organic cotton bed sheets. Lastly, if memory foam is your preference, they also offer a memory foam pillow.
The right pillow can make or break your sleep experience. Sleeping on the wrong one can compromise the comfort of your mattress and result in neck pain, back pain, headaches, and pinched nerves. While shopping for your best pillow, look for one that supports your neck and head and keeps your spine aligned, no matter what sleeping position you favor. See if the Saatva pillow is for you.
By clicking on the product links in this article, Mattress Advisor may receive a commission fee at no cost to you, the reader. Read full disclosure statement.
Mattress Accessories & Bedding
Best Cooling Pillows
Learn how cooling pillows, designed to refresh and release heat, can improve your sleeping experience.
Mattress Accessories & Bedding
Best Latex Pillows
How to choose the best latex pillow: how they are made, what to look for and Mattress Advisor's top latex pillow choices!
Mattress Accessories & Bedding
Best Firm Pillows
Built-tough support can be comfortable, too. With a firm pillow, you’ll be providing the best support possible to your neck and upper back. Continue reading to see our top picks for the best firm pillows.