Best Smart Beds of 2023
Sep 21st, 2023 •
A good night of sleep is one of life’s greatest pleasures, but can often feel out of reach. Fortunately, there’s a ton of amazing sleep technology out there designed to make great sleep a bit easier, one of the most innovative being smart beds. Smart beds can not only make you feel like you’re one of the Jetsons but can also provide valuable and actionable information about your sleep trends and habits to help you get your best rest.
Read along as we recommend some of the best smart beds on the market — ones where comfort melds with high tech functionality to help you achieve the ultimate sleep experience.
Why You Can Trust Mattress Advisor
We hold ourselves to the highest standards of integrity in our product reviews and other content by incorporating real customer feedback, empirical testing and objective evaluations. Our results and recommendations are never influenced by the commission we may receive from brands, and products we receive are never guaranteed a positive review.
Best Smart Beds
- Saatva Solaire – Best Overall
- Emma Shift – Best Price
- Puffy Cloud Smart Bed Set – Best for Back Pain
- Tempur-Pedic Tempur-Adapt – Best Luxury
- Sleep Number i10 – Best for Couples
What Is a Smart Bed?
Smart beds and mattresses move beyond simply offering a comfortable place to rest: they add a range of technology applications designed to improve sleep, comfort and health. Many have embedded sensors that monitor movement, heart rate, breathing patterns, sleep duration, REM sleep and other factors.
To help you sleep better, smart bed companies analyze this data to provide you with information on the quality of your sleep, make suggestions, and adjust to your changing positions while you sleep. Some are even equipped with anti-snoring capabilities, while others connect with your favorite digital applications to make recommendations on ideal exercise time or temperature control.
Unless you were born with an unusual superpower, you don’t really know what you’re doing while you sleep, so smart beds help you understand your sleep patterns and then optimize them for even dreamier Zs.
Here are a few of the best smart beds that have been making noise in the sleep industry.
By clicking on the product links in this article, Mattress Advisor may receive a commission fee at no cost to you, the reader. Read full disclosure statement.
Saatva Solaire – Best Overall
- Price: $3,745 for queen
- Customer Ratings: 4.7 on Saatva.com
- Purchasing Info: 365-night sleep trial with a lifetime warranty
The Saatva Solaire adjustable mattress is our favorite smart bed. It’s equipped with 50 different firmness levels, which allows you to pinpoint precisely the best combination of comfort and support for your needs. Best of all, it can be done with the push of a button on the remote.
The Solaire’s foam is CertiPUR-US certified as free from harmful chemicals and infused with cooling gel, so you’ll be sleeping on an eco-friendly and comfortable surface. With a Mattress Advisor cooling score of 8.5/10, the Solaire shouldn’t leave you waking up hot and sweaty.
What Saatva customers have to say:
- “Got our Solaire yesterday and my sleep was out of this world. I didn’t want to get out of bed in the morning. Had a delivery problem and customer service stepped right in. I know we made the right choice with Saatva!”
- “I am extremely satisfied with my Saatva Solaire bed. I wake up without any pressure pain and don’t need to immediately change positions to get comfortable. I only wish I didn’t want so many years to replace my last mattress.”
Emma Shift – Best Price
- Price: $2,399 for queen
- Customer Ratings: 4.8 on emma-sleep.com
- Purchasing Info: 365-night sleep trial with a 10-year warranty
Emma is a brand best known for building sturdy mattresses that support sleepers of all sizes—particularly heavier sleepers that enjoy a firm bed. The Shift is the brand’s smart bed, and it not only upholds Emma’s reputation for supporting plus-size sleepers but also lets you tweak how firm you want the bed to be, from super-soft to plank-like firm. The mattress has a “Smart Valve control system” dial on the side that you can turn at any time to alter the feel of its surface.
The Shift is made from open-cell foam designed to sleep cool and isolate motion well, so movement on one side of the bed shouldn’t disturb the person sleeping on the other side. It also has a hybrid innerspring construction to maintain better responsiveness and breathability. But the biggest draw is by far the adjustable firmness, which puts you in control of your softness and pressure relief, so you can be comfortable in any position.
What Emma Shift customers have to say:
- “Customization and finding the right softness/firmness is a game changer for me. I don’t think i’ll need another mattress again. I’ve been loving sleeping on this the past few nights. Feels cooler than my old mattress, too.”
- “My partner and I have different firmness preferences, and this mattress has solved our problem. We can each choose our desired firmness on our respective sides of the bed.”
Puffy Cloud Smart Bed Set – Best for Back Pain
- Price: $3,798 for queen
- Customer Ratings: 5.0 on puffy.com
- Purchasing Info: 101-night sleep trial with a lifetime warranty
The Puffy Cloud Smart Bed Set pairs the Puffy Cloud, a memory foam mattress we rated as excellent for those with back and neck pain, with an adjustable base that allows you to position the mattress in zero-gravity mode with your head and legs raised, adjust your legs and head independently, or access three massage settings. This takes the mattress to new levels of pain relief, as you can find a more comfortable position to better ease tension in your back and neck.
The mattress alone has a medium-firm firmness that works well for a lot of different types of sleepers and isolates motion well, so couples are unlikely to wake each other up with their movements. It also earns a near-perfect score for spine alignment, which is another sign that this mattress and base setup is ideal for those with back pain.
What Puffy customers have to say:
- “We are now sleeping a full night for the first time in many years. Having the adjustable base has taken this purchase to the next level of comfort. We bought the split king set because my husband likes to have his head raised whereas I like to have my feet raised.”
- “We purchased the Puffy bed a few months ago and have been sleeping so much better. My partner suffered from shoulder pain and our previous bed was only making it worse. The Puffy has not only helped with the shoulder pain but promoted better sleep overall. We especially like the frame that we can adjust for reading and snoring!”
Tempur-Pedic Tempur-Adapt – Best Luxury Smart Bed
- Price: $2,199 for queen mattress, $999 for power base
- Customer Ratings: 4.3 on tempurpedic.com
- Purchasing Info: 90-night sleep trial with a 10-year warranty
The Tempur-Adapt is Tempur-Pedic’s flagship model. A premium-feeling mattress, it’s made from high-quality materials, including slow-moving memory foam that contours to your body but has sufficient firmness to prevent you from sinking too far beneath the mattress’s surface. Side sleepers should appreciate the way the mattress cradles your hips and shoulders and absorbs tension, and back sleepers should likewise get a comfortable, pain-free night of sleep. For those with lower back pain, the Tempur-Adapt is one of our top-recommended mattresses.
In addition, if you add one of the brand’s compatible power bases, you’ll get a “nearly unlimited” array of head and foot positions, so you can raise and lower the mattress to find the best position for you. You can also raise or lower up to six inches of adjustable lumbar support for your lower back, which can further help with pain.
What Tempur-Adapt customers have to say:
- “It only took a couple of nights to realize I had made the best purchase ever. I was waking up every night around 3 in the morning with pain in my hips and back. Now I sleep through the night without any pain.”
- “I had been having difficulty sleeping through the night and with my new Tempur Pedic, I am able to get a full eight hours of sleep and wake rested. The bed is firm and adjustable to meet all my needs.”
Sleep Number i10 – Best for Couples
- Price: $5,499 for queen
- Customer Ratings: 4.8 on sleepnumber.com
- Purchasing Info: 100-night sleep trial with a 15-year limited warranty
The luxury Sleep Number i10 smart bed allows you to set your own preferences for firmness, but also automatically adjusts throughout the night in response to your movements. And it does so on each individual side of the bed, so couples who have different firmness needs can sleep together without compromising. As with many other smart beds, it will track your breathing and heart rate, and offer tips on diet, exercise, and sleep optimization through an app.
Those experiencing back pain should be able to use these luxury features to their advantage. Because this smart bed responds to your movements and has adjustable firmness, you can choose the best level of comfort for your pain. Its smart cooling fabric and temperature regulation help promote a cooling sleeping surface that helps you not only fall asleep, but stay asleep.
What Sleep Number i10 customers have to say:
- I’ve never slept so well in my life! I’m waking up at the first alarm, and I actually hear it! Finding comfort with two herniated discs was a nightly battle, but I’m no longer tossing and turning, and now sleep straight through the night. I’m addicted to my bed!”
- “With both neck and back issues, I’m not sure why I didn’t look into purchasing a Sleep Number years before. It’s made a huge difference in the quality of my sleep, and I wish I had purchased one years ago.”
- “I’ve had my new bed for two months and have gotten the best sleep in my life. I no longer wake up with back pain.”