Addressing Common Tempur-Pedic Mattress Complaints
We took a look at Tempur-Pedic mattress reviews to help address potential problems that might arise when buying a new Tempur-Pedic mattress.
Jun 10th, 2020 •
There’s a reason Tempur-Pedic has been one of the top mattress brands for decades. Most of their customers absolutely love their new mattresses. Tempur’s contouring foam layers are unlike that of any other memory foam bed. And with both all-foam and hybrid mattress types, most sleepers can enjoy a Tempur-Pedic bed.
However, even the best memory foam mattresses aren’t the right fit for everyone. And with manufacturing, shipping, customer care and more, there are rare instances when something goes wrong.
We’ve scoured the internet to learn what problems customers have had with Tempur-Pedic. We’ll let you know if the complaints are still valid, or if Tempur-Pedic has made adjustments. Finally, if there’s a problem, we have a solution that may help.
One of the top complaints about Tempur-Pedic mattresses is that they sleep warm. Every Tempur-Pedic mattress has layers of memory foam. The way memory foam closely contours to the body is by responding to body heat. As such, it can trap excess heat.
Hot sleepers often find memory foam beds overly warm. However, not every Tempur-Pedic mattress is equal in this regard. Some of their beds are designed to sleep cooler than others. However, beds with memory foam on average are warmer than those without.
Verdict: Some Tempur-Pedic mattresses can feel too warm for hot sleepers.
Solution: If you struggle with temperature regulation, there are a few options.
- Try Tempur-Breeze: The Breeze models sleep 3-8 degrees cooler. This makes a huge difference.
- Choose a hybrid mattress: Many Tempur-Pedic lines have a hybrid option. Hybrid mattresses have an innerspring support layer. Thanks to ample airflow through the coils, hybrids sleep cooler than their all-foam counterparts.
- Find a cooler mattress: If you’re worried about sleeping hot, go with a cooler mattress type. Latex and innerspring mattresses tend to sleep cooler than beds with memory foam. We’ll share a few of our favorites below.
- Bloom Hybrid: The Bloom Hybrid mattress pairs naturally cool Talalay latex and Joma wool and innerspring coils for an ultra-cool sleeping experience. It comes in three firmness levels. Read our Bloom Hybrid mattress review.
- Brooklyn Aurora: This hybrid mattress is one of the coolest mattresses we’ve ever tested at Mattress Advisor. Phase change molecules, gel beads, and innerspring coils facilitate a dry, comfortable night’s sleep. Read our Brooklyn Aurora mattress review.
Some customers have noted a strong off-gassing smell when they first receive their Tempur-Pedic mattress. Off-gassing is a term for the odor that accompanies a new foam mattress.
Memory foam, and other foams made from polyurethane, release tiny particles into the air when new. This odor is exacerbated when a mattress is compressed or wrapped tightly and then allowed to air out.
Rest assured that this odor is safe and temporary. Tempur-Pedic uses only CertiPUR-US certified foams to safeguard the health of their consumers. Within 1-3 days, this scent will vanish.
And in our experience, Tempur-Pedic’s off-gassing odor isn’t stronger than the average memory foam mattress. It’s simply a cost of having an incredibly plush sleeping surface.
Verdict: Tempur-Pedic releases a “new bed smell” for the first few days of ownership.
Solution: All you need to do is wait for this odor to dissipate. If you’d like to accelerate the process:
- Increase ventilation: You can open windows, doors, or use fans to expedite the process.
- Don’t use bedding: Let your mattress air out without blankets or sheets that trap the particles in.
During this time, it’s best not to sleep on the bed. Doing so may lead to a headache or trouble breathing for those who are sensitive to small particles.
Tempur-Pedic is one of the most expensive memory foam mattress companies—a queen-size mattress costs between $1,999 and $4,799. This high price tag reflects high-quality materials, technological innovation, and the brand name.
While many people decide the luxury feel is worth it, others may not agree. Some people feel like the Tempur-Pedic mattress is overpriced. This feeling is most prominent amongst those who state that the mattress didn’t meet their expectations.
It’s normal to expect the best when you shell out thousands of dollars for a new mattress. However, it’s important to understand that no mattress is a good fit for everyone. Tempur-Pedic is well-known for excellence. But this doesn’t mean that everyone is going to feel like their $4,000 mattress was worth the investment.
Verdict: People who end up not liking their Tempur-Pedic mattress often feel that it was overpriced.
Solution: There are two ways to approach this problem.
- Make sure the Tempur-Pedic mattress is right for you: Once you buy a new Tempur mattress, you have a 90-day sleep trial. If you’re not 100% in love after 30 or 60 days, return it. There is a $175 fee, but this is tiny in comparison to the price of a Tempur-Pedic mattress.
- Look for a cheaper option: There are plenty of high-quality mattresses that cost less than $1,000 for a queen-size bed. Look for a memory foam mattress that fits both your sleep preferences and your budget.
- Casper: The Casper memory foam mattress offers incredible zoned support at an affordable price. It’s also one of the most responsive mattresses we’ve tested in the Mattress Advisor mattress lab. Read our Casper mattress review.
- Leesa: The Leesa Original mattress is our highest-scoring memory foam bed. It’s an all-around amazing mattress for less than $1000 for a queen. Read our Leesa mattress review.
- Tuft & Needle: The Tuft & Needle all-foam mattress is one of our favorite memory foam beds for budget shoppers. Read our Tuft & Needle mattress review.
We’ve come across a few reviews that complain of uncomfortable sagging after a few months or years. The problem is that some of the mattresses seem to lose their support rather quickly. Body indentations are of particular concern because they leave people feeling stuck.
Fortunately, your warranty covers these issues. The Tempur-Pedic mattress warranty is one of the most generous when it comes to sagging. For 10 years, the warranty covers indentations of ¾” or greater.
One important thing to note is that memory foam mattresses can sag due to poor support. Every mattress has specific foundation requirements.
Tempur-Pedic mattresses must be placed on top of a solid, firm foundation. These mattresses are heavy, and not all frames will work. Box springs, the floor, and untreated wood platforms are not acceptable.
Be sure to use an appropriate base to limit unnecessary sagging. If sagging is caused by a poor foundation, the warranty will not cover it. Tempur-Pedic has power bases and flat foundations built to work with their beds.
Verdict: Some Tempur-Pedic mattresses start to sag shortly after purchase.
Solution: Indentations of greater than ¾” are covered under the mattress warranty. Just be sure that you’re using an appropriate foundation or it may not be covered.
What’s Great About Tempur-Pedic Mattresses?
Tempur-Pedic mattresses have been well-loved for decades. Their deeply contouring memory foam closely hugs the body for unparalleled pressure relief and their proprietary foam distributes body weight. The end result is an almost weightless feeling.
Tempur’s innovative technology has created some of the coolest memory foam beds around. The Tempur-Breeze mattresses cradle the body without trapping heat.
With five models and soft, medium, firm, and medium hybrid beds, there’s something for every memory foam lover. Their mattresses are soft enough for lightweight side sleepers and supportive enough for plus-size sleepers.
When you buy a Tempur-Pedic mattress, you have 90 nights to ensure that it’s your dream mattress. After a 30-day break in period, you can return your mattress for a $175 return fee. And if you decide to keep it, Tempur-Pedic offers a generous 10-year warranty.
On top of everything, Tempur-Pedic mattresses come with free White Glove Delivery. When you go the luxury Tempur mattress route, you won’t need to set up your mattress. They’ll even remove your old bed if you no longer need it.
Here’s a breakdown of the Tempur-Pedic mattress models and what they have to offer.
The Tempur-Cloud is their newest mattress. Designed to compete in the bed-in-a-box space, this mattress is the most affordable Tempur mattress. The Cloud mattress uses a new type of ultra-responsive foam. As a result, the Cloud is a great balance between sleeping “on” and “in” a mattress.
- Value shoppers
- Light to average sleepers
- Combination and back sleepers
Tempur-Adapt is the most affordable mattress with the original Tempur-ES foam. Temper-ES foam yields incredible contouring, hugging the body for optimal pressure relief. With an all-foam and hybrid model, the Tempur-Adapt works well for all body types. There is a split king and split California king for enhanced motion isolation, ideal for couples who share the bed.
- Medium hybrid
- Those who toss and turn
- Back sleepers with back pain
- Couples who sleep together
The Tempur-ProAdapt utilizes Tempur-APR foam for opulent cushion at pressure points. The ProAdapt is the most popular Tempur-Pedic mattress line. With firmness levels ranging from soft to firm, the ProAdapt works for every sleep position.
- Medium hybrid
- All sleeping positions
- Side sleepers with shoulder or hip pain
- Couples who sleep together
The Tempur-LuxeAdapt is an ultra-thick memory foam mattress created for those whose needs fall outside of the norm. The soft option deeply contours pressure points and allows the body to melt in. The firm option delivers the sturdy conforming needed by back and stomach sleepers who prefer a firm bed.
- Sleepers with aches and pains
- Elderly sleepers
- Side sleepers
The Tempur-Breeze models were created for hot sleepers. The Tempur-PRObreeze sleeps 3 degrees cooler than the average foam bed. The Tempur-LUXEbreeze sleeps an extraordinary 8 degrees cooler. The SmartClimate Dual Cover System is cool to the touch and breathable, freeing trapped body heat. While the Breeze is the most expensive Tempur-Pedic model, it’s the best choice for hot sleepers who like the Tempur foam feel.
- Medium hybrid
- Hot sleepers
- Plus-size sleepers
- Sleepers with aches and pains
Tempur-Pedic is a household name. Their luxurious memory foam mattresses have received rave reviews for decades. With continuous innovations, you can trust Tempur-Pedic to bring you some of the best mattresses on the market.
Even though Tempur-Pedic is a well-loved brand, not everyone has a flawless experience. Many models sleep warmer than your average bed, and some people feel like they’re too expensive. Be sure to thoroughly research a mattress before buying it. If you find that it’s not the one for you, don’t be afraid to take advantage of sleep trials. They’re there to ensure that you find the best mattress for you.
Related: Tempur-Pedic Alternatives
Best Mattresses of 2021
Our expert review team tested over 150 beds and ranked the best mattress for every type of sleeper.
Mattress Trial Periods
Learn how to make the most of your mattress trial period like tips for breaking in your mattress and how not to lose sleep over returns, refunds and exchanges.
Nectar Mattress Complaints
Most Nectar reviews praise their mattress and the customer service they received. But what about the rare Nectar mattress complaints? Here’s what you should know.